Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-18-2012, 1:34 PM
nightwolf0215 nightwolf0215 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: East Bay
Posts: 1,757
iTrader: 166 / 100%
Default Should I shorten my barrel?

I got a 1897 full choke winchester with 30" barrel. Too long for my taste so I want to cut it down to about 18.5-20". Total length will be >>> 26" still. I am unfamiliar with shotgun so I dont know how that is going to affect the gun. I have read many different opinions over the net so I figured I'd get more hahaha. Tie it down, here are the barrage of questions:

2. How would the choke be affected?
3. How would accuracy be affected?
4. How would recoil be affected?
__________________
I'd rather be at the range!

Check out cool HK accessories here!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-18-2012, 4:16 PM
GreenAndy's Avatar
GreenAndy GreenAndy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Modesto
Posts: 402
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

STOP! Don't cut! You might be ruining a collectors item! Do you know what the gun is worth? Have you checked a Blue Book of Gun Values? Had it appraised by a real gunsmith? Checked values on Gun Broker?

Of course it's your's to do what you want with. If it's pretty beat up, and rusty, then it might not be worth much. Then cut away.

To answer your questions,
2. Choke. The choke would be cut off so it would be a cylinder bore shotgun, or a wide open bore. No choke. Your patterns would be real wide and the effective range of the shotgun would be short.
3. Accuracy? Good for close work, less then 35 yds. See above.
4. Recoil? You would never notice a difference. It would go up ever slightly, as the gun weighs less.

If you want a hunting shotgun, check out a $350-400 Rem 870 or Weatherby PA-08 or a Mossberg or Bennelli Nova, etc.... You could sell the Win 1897 and be money ahead. And you would interchangeable choke tubes and a choice of barrel lengths.....
__________________
You only live twice. Once when you are born and once when you look death in the face.

IAN FLEMING
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-18-2012, 4:18 PM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 39,566
iTrader: 89 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwolf0215 View Post
2. How would the choke be affected?
3. How would accuracy be affected?
4. How would recoil be affected?
2. The choke is all in the end 3" of the barrel so if you cut off 3", it will be cylinder bore no matter what length you cut it to.
3. The pattern changes with choke. We don't generally talk about accuracy on shotguns as you don't "aim" a shotgun. You "point" a shotgun.
4. As you remove barrel length, the gun gets lighter and perceived recoil increases.
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC

Last edited by ar15barrels; 11-18-2012 at 4:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-18-2012, 4:19 PM
Dutch Henry's Avatar
Dutch Henry Dutch Henry is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 638
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

For all intents, the choke would be an open cylinder.

Accuracy? With a short barrel and no choke you will have wide open patterns. Effective range: about 30-35 yards.

Recoil, especially barrel rise, will be increased as a result of forward weight loss from shortening the barrel.

I'd suggest leave it the way it is or sell it and use the funds to buy a shorter gun.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-18-2012, 4:24 PM
toby toby is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Soon to be in Texas.
Posts: 10,597
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

I'll give ya $300 that will buy you a Mossy 18".......
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-18-2012, 6:10 PM
kcstott's Avatar
kcstott kcstott is online now
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: National City Socal
Posts: 8,297
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

I'll trade you straight over for a Mossberg 500 persuader 7+1 20" barrel
Seriously I will.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Dick.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-18-2012, 7:27 PM
nightwolf0215 nightwolf0215 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: East Bay
Posts: 1,757
iTrader: 166 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
I'll give ya $300 that will buy you a Mossy 18".......
Just $300? I'll take that $300 for free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
I'll trade you straight over for a Mossberg 500 persuader 7+1 20" barrel
Seriously I will.

Noooo, I will never! This is the shotgun i've been wanting (occassionally considered the KSG but its quite overpriced). Me likey slamfiring.

I want a Steven 520-30 though...



Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAndy View Post
STOP! Don't cut! You might be ruining a collectors item! Do you know what the gun is worth? Have you checked a Blue Book of Gun Values? Had it appraised by a real gunsmith? Checked values on Gun Broker?

Of course it's your's to do what you want with. If it's pretty beat up, and rusty, then it might not be worth much. Then cut away.

To answer your questions,
2. Choke. The choke would be cut off so it would be a cylinder bore shotgun, or a wide open bore. No choke. Your patterns would be real wide and the effective range of the shotgun would be short.
3. Accuracy? Good for close work, less then 35 yds. See above.
4. Recoil? You would never notice a difference. It would go up ever slightly, as the gun weighs less.

If you want a hunting shotgun, check out a $350-400 Rem 870 or Weatherby PA-08 or a Mossberg or Bennelli Nova, etc.... You could sell the Win 1897 and be money ahead. And you would interchangeable choke tubes and a choice of barrel lengths.....
I dont know how to check it. Its serial number is E 571801. It has about 70% blue left with scratches so I dont think it will be anything crazy. It looks to be manufactured in 1912. I'll take it out celebrating its bday soemtimes next week hahaha,
__________________
I'd rather be at the range!

Check out cool HK accessories here!!

Last edited by nightwolf0215; 11-18-2012 at 7:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-18-2012, 8:04 PM
kcstott's Avatar
kcstott kcstott is online now
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: National City Socal
Posts: 8,297
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Value is around $350 to $600+ depending on condition. And you are correct it was made sometime in 1912.
I still would not chop the barrel though.
If you like slam firing an older Ithaca M37 does the trick and few will get on you about chopping the barrel
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Dick.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-19-2012, 7:54 AM
Flintlock Tom's Avatar
Flintlock Tom Flintlock Tom is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, OR
Posts: 2,688
iTrader: 32 / 100%
Default

Buy a spare barrel to cut and keep the original barrel "original."
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-19-2012, 8:30 AM
ar15barrels's Avatar
ar15barrels ar15barrels is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Van Nuys
Posts: 39,566
iTrader: 89 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock Tom View Post
Buy a spare barrel to cut and keep the original barrel "original."
In 1912, the barrels were all hand fitted to the receivers.
Good luck finding a barrel that fits.
__________________
Randall Rausch

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Glock, XD and M&P pistols, Benelli and Remington shotguns: barrel, sight, trigger and receiver work.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and weekend appointments available.
Founding member of the CAPRC
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-19-2012, 8:56 AM
AVID HUNTER's Avatar
AVID HUNTER AVID HUNTER is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 377
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Do you want your penis shorter too?....leave it alone. Buy something else to cut up. Mossberg 500 and Remy 870 are the best choices to cut on.
__________________
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 1:43 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.