Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 11-18-2012, 2:50 AM

Default Do FFL's Really Keep All Your Information For 20 Years?

1) How long do FFL's keep a completed DROS and all the supporting documents such as the proof of residency, copy of your driver's license, etc...?

2) Do FFL's keep a canceled DROS and all the supporting documents of a canceled transaction just as long as a completed transaction?

Last edited by hellakitty; 11-18-2012 at 2:53 AM..
Old 11-18-2012, 5:52 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellakitty View Post
1) How long do FFL's keep a completed DROS and all the supporting documents such as the proof of residency, copy of your driver's license, etc...?

2) Do FFL's keep a canceled DROS and all the supporting documents of a canceled transaction just as long as a completed transaction?
4473s are 20 years. I think DROS is 3 or 5 years, I forget. Canceled 4473s are only three years I believe.

I don't plan on ever throwing any of my crap away. I got plenty of storage space. Once that starts running out, then I will start looking into it deeper.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 11-18-2012, 8:56 AM

Does anyone know the official stance on digital records? I'm a big fan of electronic storage of documents. Not sure if this was allowed for 4473's and DROS records.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the fast response TenPercent! For canceled transactions do FFL's keep the 4473 and DROS only or also all the other documents such as proof of residency, etc... for 3-5 years? For completed sales I can of course understand why any dealer would want to keep all records and documents pertaining to that sale for as long as possible, but I'm just wondering if all documents (not just the 4473 and DROS but all related forms: lease agreements, utility bills, etc...) are also kept for 3-5 years for canceled transactions too.

Last edited by hellakitty; 11-18-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 2:29 PM

What happens to the 4473s after 20 years? Are they destroyed or sent to the ATF?

What happens if a FFL keeps the 4473s for more than 20 years and then the FFL goes out of business? Are those sent to the ATF?

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials."
George Mason, in Debates in Virginia Convention on Ratification of the Constitution, Elliot, Vol. 3, June 16, 1788
Old 11-18-2012, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellakitty View Post
Thanks for the fast response TenPercent! For canceled transactions do FFL's keep the 4473 and DROS only or also all the other documents such as proof of residency, etc... for 3-5 years? For completed sales I can of course understand why any dealer would want to keep all records and documents pertaining to that sale for as long as possible, but I'm just wondering if all documents (not just the 4473 and DROS but all related forms: lease agreements, utility bills, etc...) are also kept for 3-5 years for canceled transactions too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaction View Post
What happens to the 4473s after 20 years? Are they destroyed or sent to the ATF?

What happens if a FFL keeps the 4473s for more than 20 years and then the FFL goes out of business? Are those sent to the ATF?

Federal law requires FFL's to keep the 4473 for 20yrs or to turn them into the ATF if the dealership were to cease business. Documents older than 20yrs can be destroyed. There are only some exceptional cases where 4473's have supporting documentation. The most common supporting documentation for 4473's are proof of address for resident aliens or documentation showing an address different than that on the ID. That documentation must also be kept with the 4473 for 20yrs.

State law requires dealers to keep the DROS and all supporting documentation for 3yrs. Supporting documentation can include copies of the HSC, proof of address, safe handling certification, lock receipt, etc.

An aside, I've never had an ATF inspector ask to see my DROS documentation or a DOJ inspector ask to see my 4473's or bound book.