Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 11-24-2012, 7:44 PM

Default ar pistol

okay, so I am still confused. If I build an ar pistol with an 11.5 " barrel what buffer tube can I use? Are there legal requirements as to how long it can be?
Old 11-24-2012, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletaptd View Post
okay, so I am still confused. If I build an ar pistol with an 11.5 " barrel what buffer tube can I use? Are there legal requirements as to how long it can be?
You will need to purchase a pistol buffer tube to ensure that NO stock can be installed.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ffer-tube.html

Likewise, you will either need to purchase a Pistol Lower or create a pistol lower from an 80% lower.

It is important that your pistol lower was intended as a PISTOL first since converting a lower that was originally a rifle into a pistol is a NO GO.

Likewise, you will need to complete your lower as a single shot to meet the Single Shot Exemption, using a sled.

This is from what I understand that is what is required, but since I am not an expert on the subject matter perhaps others can chime in on what other requirements are necessary Also... since it's a pistol, I'm unsure if one must posses an HSC card as well, but hopefully others can be of assistance

(NRA MEMBER SINCE 1996/LIFE SINCE 2010) (CRPA "5 YEAR" MEMBER 2010)
EBAY FEEDBACK: EVIL INTENT FACEBOOK PAGE: EVIL INTENT PAINTBALL TEAM:

Last edited by speeedracerr; 11-24-2012 at 8:05 PM..
Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 AM

Does an 80% lower need to be marked "pistol"?
Can one get an AR pistol lower in CA without doing an 80%?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:58 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyeller View Post
Does an 80% lower need to be marked "pistol"?
nope.

do glocks or 1911's say "pistol" on them, why would any other pistol need to?

Quote:
Can one get an AR pistol lower in CA without doing an 80%?
if you aren't roster-exempt, pretty much your only choices are to find one that a private party already has in CA and is selling as a PPT, or to go to someplace like EBRworks and buy one of his complete AR pistols that he will buy the upper back if you don't want it after you complete DROS.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 11-26-2012, 6:55 PM

Listen to Speeed. He (or She) is right, you can't just start with an off-the-self lower. but If you go with a pistol, then you might as well go with a 8 inch barrel, since it can be a short as you want. This is a 7.5 inch on a 80% lower. The lower has no markings.

You only need a single shot for the DROS not for the 80%. And as far as I know, you will not be able to by a AR pistol lower. So it's buy the pistol complete or build from a 80%
Old 11-26-2012, 8:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Not quite, all AR pistols manufactured or sold in California must be exempt from the "roster of not unsafe handguns".

That means when you first build your AR pistol you must build it as a dimensionally compliant single shot pistol which means a zero round magazine locked in the mag well.

Once your pistol is manufactured, you can change it in to a fixed magazine repeater or any other configuration that is legal under the California "assault weapon" ban.

You are committing the crime of manufacturing an "unsafe handgun" if you skip the dimensionally compliant single shot step.

So don't do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 11-26-2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletaptd View Post
Are there legal requirements as to how long it can be?
I believe the barrel must be 6" or longer, and OAL 10" or greater - not a problem with an AR pistol to be dimensionally correct. Bullet button is a must, and to legally be an SSE install a Bob's Sled or similar during final assembly.

If you go with an 11.5" barrel your OAL will probably exceed 26" which opens up the option of a VFG that doesn't require NFA registration.

ETA: Just saw Wash's post as I was posting, spot on info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arp.jpg (22.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 9:04 PM

even turners has AR pistols now, a little over priced, but they have them.

WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)
Old 11-27-2012, 8:48 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Incognito how can you create a pistol over 26" oal and not reg it? I thought those needed cali $5 tax stamp as an aow. Please cite w/ references if possible
Old 11-27-2012, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEstep View Post
Incognito how can you create a pistol over 26" oal and not reg it? I thought those needed cali $5 tax stamp as an aow. Please cite w/ references if possible
The same way Franklin Armory can make them and Turner's can sell them:

http://www.franklinarmory.com/XO-26_Letter__c_.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF Determination Letter
... however, it would not be subject to the NFA/AOW classification provided its overall length is at least 26 inches and it is not actually concealed on the person.
Old 11-28-2012, 1:54 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 6:20 PM

So the question becomes this: I recently completed an 80% AR lower and was going to get it engraved as a pistol. So If I put on a 10 1/2 inch barrel would it be considered a rifle if the overall length was 26"? Would that then prevent me from putting on a 7" barrel and still be within the law? I like the idea of the forward pistol grip as it sure makes it easier to shoot. I have an AR 223 pistol which I have registered as an AOW and was thinking of building one in either a 45ACP or 762.39 to compete with my Draco.
Old 11-28-2012, 6:50 PM
Calguns Addict

A firearm does not become a rifle until it is designed to be fired from the shoulder with a stock.

Length does not matter and there is no legal reason to engrave it "pistol" in Ca but nothing is stopping you.

You could put a 26" barrel on your AR pistol and it would become a "long gun" but there is no "once a long gun always a long gun" law like rifles have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.