Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-02-2012, 9:29 AM
explorerdude explorerdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 392
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default 8 Months to be assigned a BI for LASD

So I'm processing with LASD for deputy sheriff. Spoke with someone this week since I been waiting about 3 months for a BI. Lady says it will take about 8 months to be assigned one. Wow. I guess everyone wants to join LASD

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-02-2012, 9:36 AM
Armed24-7's Avatar
Armed24-7 Armed24-7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 268
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerdude View Post
So I'm processing with LASD for deputy sheriff. Spoke with someone this week since I been waiting about 3 months for a BI. Lady says it will take about 8 months to be assigned one. Wow. I guess everyone wants to join LASD

Chris
LASD is getting hit hard with applicants right now. We are about to hire a lot of people because they are anticipating a lot of vacancies soon due to retirements. Also, they are looking at promoting a lot of deputies and increasing the number of supervisors which will create even more deputy vacancies. The jobs market sucks right now, so a lot more people are flocking to law enforcement agencies looking for work. If for some reason they offer you a "custody assistant" position instead of a deputy sheriff position, consider it. At least it would be a "foot in the door" and you would have another chance at the academy at a later date.

Be patient and consider applying for other 1 or 2 more agencies as well. Don't hang your hat on one department in the hopes you will get hired.
__________________

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-02-2012, 9:43 AM
explorerdude explorerdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 392
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Yea I know about the high volume of applicants. I will definitely take that CA job if offered.
I also applied for Security Officer with LASD, the process seems to be going a lot faster since I already took my Poly and just waiting to get my Medical.

thanks for the advice Armed 24-7!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 AM
Armed24-7's Avatar
Armed24-7 Armed24-7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 268
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerdude View Post
Yea I know about the high volume of applicants. I will definitely take that CA job if offered.
I also applied for Security Officer with LASD, the process seems to be going a lot faster since I already took my Poly and just waiting to get my Medical.

thanks for the advice Armed 24-7!
If that is the case, let your background investigator know that in your heart, you want to be a deputy sheriff. But if that isn't possible, you would consider a custody assistant position as well. It pays a LOT more than security officer and the benefits are much better too. I have seen many former custody assistants become a deputy. Good luck to you sir!
__________________

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-02-2012, 3:00 PM
TrailerparkTrash's Avatar
TrailerparkTrash TrailerparkTrash is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: DPRK- Democratic People's Republic of Koreafornia
Posts: 1,697
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed24-7 View Post
If that is the case, let your background investigator know that in your heart, you want to be a deputy sheriff. But if that isn't possible, you would consider a custody assistant position as well. It pays a LOT more than security officer and the benefits are much better too. I have seen many former custody assistants become a deputy. Good luck to you sir!
The BI only makes a recommendation to hire someone in his/her findings. With LASD, it's a particular Captain that makes the final "hired/not-hired" decision.
__________________


My views:

-I hate being bipolar its awesome.

-Life member, NRA
-10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore.
-Hold my beer. Watch this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-02-2012, 3:18 PM
Baconator's Avatar
Baconator Baconator is offline
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 9,383
iTrader: 58 / 100%
Default

I know a couple of guys who went from application to academy appointment in 5 months for Riverside County, might be an option.

Sent from Obama's Mind
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-03-2012, 3:28 AM
Notorious's Avatar
Notorious Notorious is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,471
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Riverside is fast tracking a lot of people. One of our security guys got in about 2-3 months.
__________________
Guns! More guns! I need more guns!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-03-2012, 7:38 AM
explorerdude explorerdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 392
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

looking into Riverside County today. Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-03-2012, 7:46 AM
explorerdude explorerdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 392
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

scheduled for a written test on Nov 19th with Riverside County
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2012, 2:38 PM
Bobby Ricigliano's Avatar
Bobby Ricigliano Bobby Ricigliano is offline
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan
Posts: 13,175
iTrader: 293 / 100%
Default

Cadence:

"I want to be a Deputy Sheriff....."
"I want to wear that badge of gold."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-07-2012, 4:26 PM
GLOCKINGRAT GLOCKINGRAT is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 268
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

I did lasd got to backgrounds and got dropped for a question they could not read correcrly on the polygraph attempted it 4 times amd fonally got the boot from the process, totally sucks, may consider riverside or lapd.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2012, 1:25 AM
Ron-Solo's Avatar
Ron-Solo Ron-Solo is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,938
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

It is an exercise in a much needed quality in law enforcement......patience.
__________________
LASD Retired
1978-2011




If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-11-2012, 9:25 AM
JS89 JS89 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 86
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Patience is a virtue...

With that being said, it took me a year and a half to be assigned a background investigator for CHP. Keep your head up and stay clean.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-11-2012, 9:46 AM
eyeruh's Avatar
eyeruh eyeruh is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 408
Posts: 92
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Did you look into OC Sheriff or San Diego County? I know San Diego is hiring like crazy. I agree with applying for two other agencies. It takes a lot of time/patience to get hired in these jobs. officer.com is a great resource.

OC had their PAT and written in October, IIRC.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-12-2012, 3:29 PM
Thesource161's Avatar
Thesource161 Thesource161 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Deep deep in the jungle
Posts: 471
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

I am current in lasd's process. I have passed my background and passed my vpat. Currently waiting pysc. I've been waiting now for over three months to hear on a pysc date. If you have any questions feel free to pm me
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-12-2012, 5:58 PM
Catalyst81's Avatar
Catalyst81 Catalyst81 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Temecula area
Posts: 433
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

OC is moving fast. They're testing every month. I tested mid July and I'm about done - completed written, pt, psych, medical, home visit. Just waiting for the background to finish. Other younger guys have finished faster. Might be worth it if you want to get hired faster.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-12-2012, 7:08 PM
Thomas1190's Avatar
Thomas1190 Thomas1190 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Palmdale, CA
Posts: 647
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Ron-Solo is right, lots and lots of patience lol

LASD does indeed take quite a while. I first sent out my application on Nov. 1 of last year so I've been in the process for over a year now. About a month ago my background was completed and passed. Last week I passed the VPAT so now I'm just standing by to complete my psych and medical exams. Then the final last step is the Captain interview at Personnel. He makes the decision whether to put you in an academy class or not. Hoping for the best!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-12-2012, 7:52 PM
Notorious's Avatar
Notorious Notorious is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,471
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Riverside moves very fast. We lost a guy who got his done in two months.
__________________
Guns! More guns! I need more guns!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-13-2012, 10:02 AM
retired retired is offline
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 9,182
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1190 View Post
Ron-Solo is right, lots and lots of patience lol

LASD does indeed take quite a while. I first sent out my application on Nov. 1 of last year so I've been in the process for over a year now. About a month ago my background was completed and passed. Last week I passed the VPAT so now I'm just standing by to complete my psych and medical exams. Then the final last step is the Captain interview at Personnel. He makes the decision whether to put you in an academy class or not. Hoping for the best!
To put some prospective on the LASD testing process, I began the hiring process with LASD in 1975 and didn't begin my academy until June of 1976. To add to that, with the exception of my first 2yrs. of life, I was a Ca. resident (living outside of Ca. generally adds to the time of the BI.

Also, we did not have a Capt. interview, just an oral board and none of the other tests were as extensive as the ones now. I honestly do not recall if they even had a psych test back then, because I can't recall taking one. I will surmise they did not, since I was hired.

If you really want LASD, then as Ron (a good buddy who I worked a few assignments with) said, patience is in order.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM
explorerdude explorerdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 392
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Thanks everyone for the input/advice. I know this line of work is the hardest to get into and easiest to lose. Just plugging in applications to places that are hiring.

BTW, I have a written test for Beverly Hills PD early December OR I was invited to participate in the process with Henderson PD (nevada) the whole first week of December. I can only do one or the other, opinions??
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-13-2012, 1:00 PM
Catalyst81's Avatar
Catalyst81 Catalyst81 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Temecula area
Posts: 433
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerdude View Post
Thanks everyone for the input/advice. I know this line of work is the hardest to get into and easiest to lose. Just plugging in applications to places that are hiring.

BTW, I have a written test for Beverly Hills PD early December OR I was invited to participate in the process with Henderson PD (nevada) the whole first week of December. I can only do one or the other, opinions??
I'd go by the numbers. Beverly Hills PD is pretty selective and not hiring a ton. Any idea what the situation is with Henderson PD?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-13-2012, 1:49 PM
explorerdude explorerdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 392
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Not really sure on the numbers for henderson. But earlier this year, they were taking no applications for entry level positions. This time they opened up to entry level but only the first 750 applications.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-14-2012, 11:16 AM
skyscraper's Avatar
skyscraper skyscraper is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,789
iTrader: 15 / 100%
Default

8 months is rough. I just went through two local LE agencies and my background just wrapped up this week. Total time was 3 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-14-2012, 10:49 PM
Notorious's Avatar
Notorious Notorious is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,471
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

I've seen backgrounds done in one month from beginning to finish. I've seen them done in over a year. Average though, generally runs two to three months.
__________________
Guns! More guns! I need more guns!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-16-2012, 11:32 AM
FlyByWire FlyByWire is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 15
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Took me 3 years to get hired with my agency... If you really want LASO, wait it out. If you just want to get picked up, spray and pray.

Last edited by FlyByWire; 11-16-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-16-2012, 3:31 PM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 950
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Much better options then LASD right now. Apply at multiple agencies and if no luck, put yourself through a paid school academy like Rio Hondo used to have. Many agencies come down there to hire right from the class. My brother got hired after only 3 weeks in the class and they reimbursed all his expenses as well. You graduate with a post certificate which is good for one year to get you hired somewhere.

LASD used to be the best but far from it now IMO.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-16-2012, 4:48 PM
Notorious's Avatar
Notorious Notorious is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,471
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
Much better options then LASD right now. Apply at multiple agencies and if no luck, put yourself through a paid school academy like Rio Hondo used to have. Many agencies come down there to hire right from the class. My brother got hired after only 3 weeks in the class and they reimbursed all his expenses as well. You graduate with a post certificate which is good for one year to get you hired somewhere.

LASD used to be the best but far from it now IMO.
POST is good for 3 years from date of issue or separation from last employer.

Flaming LASD? You don't like being around here or something?
__________________
Guns! More guns! I need more guns!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 PM
retired retired is offline
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 9,182
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
Much better options then LASD right now.

LASD used to be the best but far from it now IMO.
There are a number of active and a few retired LASD members here, including me. Please enlighten all of us LASD and other Calgun members as to what you mean by those statements. They are rather general in nature. Before you do, please read the rules in the sticky near the top of the forum. This is a specialty forum and has rules in addition to the general rules of Calguns. Leo bashing is unacceptable. Thank you.

Last edited by retired; 11-16-2012 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-17-2012, 12:50 PM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 950
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

I have been with LASD for 27 years with 6 to go and have seen what once was a great Department deteriorate over the years. Not to say that there are still not great men and women involved and doing their best but our standards are not what they used to be by a long shot.

I do not want to get into a long debate about this on here but you need look no further then the executive level leadership and all the crap that is going on to know why I have my opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-17-2012, 12:52 PM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 950
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
POST is good for 3 years from date of issue or separation from last employer.

Flaming LASD? You don't like being around here or something?

You sure 3 years? I need to check that, I was told 1 but you may be correct as 1 year seems pretty short when you are trying to get hired and the while process involved. Although you state from last "employer". How about the timeline for post from an academy you pay and put yourself through similar to what Rio Hondo had going before their issues? Still 3 years or is this maybe 1 year?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-17-2012, 1:03 PM
lavey29 lavey29 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 950
iTrader: 16 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
There are a number of active and a few retired LASD members here, including me. Please enlighten all of us LASD and other Calgun members as to what you mean by those statements. They are rather general in nature. Before you do, please read the rules in the sticky near the top of the forum. This is a specialty forum and has rules in addition to the general rules of Calguns. Leo bashing is unacceptable. Thank you.

Difference between bashing and expressing ones opinion based on their own personal knowledge and Department experience. I think I am well within the guidelines to share my opinion based on that. Whether you agree or disagree is of no concern to me. I would give the same advise on LASD to any of my friends or family who were also considering applying.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-17-2012, 3:51 PM
Notorious's Avatar
Notorious Notorious is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,471
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

I just did some research on POST and it is 3 years unless they changed it since summer.
__________________
Guns! More guns! I need more guns!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-19-2012, 1:48 PM
explorerdude explorerdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 392
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Just took the test for Riverside sheriffs. Did not pass. Pretty tough.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-19-2012, 1:54 PM
NorCalXJ's Avatar
NorCalXJ NorCalXJ is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,995
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
I just did some research on POST and it is 3 years unless they changed it since summer.
2 years and 1 year renewal i believe. That's what they told me at the orientation.
__________________
Terminal Lance
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-19-2012, 1:54 PM
NorCalXJ's Avatar
NorCalXJ NorCalXJ is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,995
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerdude View Post
Just took the test for Riverside sheriffs. Did not pass. Pretty tough.
POST?
__________________
Terminal Lance
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-19-2012, 2:41 PM
explorerdude explorerdude is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 392
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Not sure if post or privately made test.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-20-2012, 8:41 PM
Baconator's Avatar
Baconator Baconator is offline
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 9,383
iTrader: 58 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerdude View Post
Just took the test for Riverside sheriffs. Did not pass. Pretty tough.
You should go to a book store and pick up one of those study guides. Might help next time.

Sent from Obama's Mind
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-20-2012, 9:36 PM
SeanCasey's Avatar
SeanCasey SeanCasey is offline
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,612
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by explorerdude View Post
Not sure if post or privately made test.
Riverside is not the standard POST test. It is their own test, fairly lengthly.
__________________
-Sean Casey
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-20-2012, 9:40 PM
SeanCasey's Avatar
SeanCasey SeanCasey is offline
Now in AZ
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,612
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
You sure 3 years? I need to check that, I was told 1 but you may be correct as 1 year seems pretty short when you are trying to get hired and the while process involved. Although you state from last "employer". How about the timeline for post from an academy you pay and put yourself through similar to what Rio Hondo had going before their issues? Still 3 years or is this maybe 1 year?
Academy certificate, self-sponsor or not, is three years with an chance to renew for another three. However, some agencies I have tested with will not accept you as a pre-service applicant if you are past one year. That may be the cause of the confusion, as the state gives a MAX of three years, but some agencies are more stringent in their standards than the state mandates.
__________________
-Sean Casey
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Ron-Solo's Avatar
Ron-Solo Ron-Solo is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 7,938
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavey29 View Post
Difference between bashing and expressing ones opinion based on their own personal knowledge and Department experience. I think I am well within the guidelines to share my opinion based on that. Whether you agree or disagree is of no concern to me. I would give the same advise on LASD to any of my friends or family who were also considering applying.
One would think that with 27 years with LASD you would know the difference between "advise" and "advice" but maybe you're right, it's not as good as it used to be.

And since you're new here, a bit of advice for you. Getting into a urination contest with a moderator will not end well.

Welcome to CalGuns!

__________________
LASD Retired
1978-2011




If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 5:44 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.