Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 11-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Default Yugo m92 or AR pistol for next build?

I'm in the process of choosing my next build and have decided to build a pistol kit. I made a post about building a M92 at a party and people said it was fine and shouldnt be an issue. Since I already have numerous variants of the AK, I was thinking about building a AR pistol from Gun Smoke Enterprises. They have a really nice second generation kit that only utilizes a 4'' recoil tube which seems much nicer than the standard lengthier one. I found that Ares armory does build parties three times a month and I can get a Quentin defense 80 percent lower from billet aluminum for relatively cheap. My question is this; seeing as how both kits will cost about the same for parts and the build party, which one would be a better choice and why? I want to consider weight and accuracy but have never shot either. Please help me out with some bestowed knowledge and help me arrive to a conclusion. As always, every one one on this forum has always been a great help and has already helped me complete two extremely fine rifles, now its pistol time!
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Calguns Addict

Let's be honest, this thread is really about which one FIRST. I would say it comes down to ammo cost for you personally. DO you reload .223 or have a huge stash of 7.62? The AR will be easier to shoot, but that is a YMMV statement. They both will be great and fun range toys.

In theory, the AR will be lighter, but you start hanging stuff on it and the weight goes up fast. The AR will be more accurate. A sling is a must for more accurate shooting for both platforms.

About the AR pistol, if you want more accuracy, you need a longer barrel than say 6 or 7 inches. I used to have a 7 inch ar pistol, but the flash was blinding. I have since upgraded to a 10.5 inch barrel with a fire pig and couldn't be happier.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Calguns Addict

AR pistol! Just finished my 7.5" build and a I love it! While standing and cheekwelding it was shooting ~2" groups at 25 yards with cheap Tula ammo. Yes the 7.5" barrel makes it loud and bright, but thats ok with me. If I want to tame the flash later, Ill throw on a Novenski kx3 flaming pig. Both my dad and one of my buddies liked mine so much, they built one too. Either way you go, expect a lot of attention at the range.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:21 PM

I'm going to test my AR pistol build this weekend. The longer tube on mine is a little short to use as a stock, but ARs are just so easy to shoot anyway.

I hope I don't need a heavy buffer to make it cycle.

There is no privilege to keep and bear arms.

Arms are for killing people. All other uses of an arm are illegitimate uses.

Know your rights. When stopped by police and not doing anything wrong, tell them you don't consent to searches. They are allowed to lie to you, but you're not allowed to lie to them. Just say nothing.
Old 11-16-2012, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogg111 View Post
I'm going to test my AR pistol build this weekend. The longer tube on mine is a little short to use as a stock, but ARs are just so easy to shoot anyway.

I hope I don't need a heavy buffer to make it cycle.
I didnt need one. I got the PSA pistol lower parts kit which came with a regular carbine buffer spring. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 PM

alright sounds like the ar pistol is the better choice. I do reload my own .223 so that will save me some money. I like the light weight of the ar pistol as well. I have only held each of them once or twice, but the ar does have a weight advantage. does anyone have any suggestions for which company to purchase a parts kit through? I was kinda leaning toward gun smoke enterprise kits, but I am definitely open to suggestions. thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlocalkid85 View Post
alright sounds like the ar pistol is the better choice. I do reload my own .223 so that will save me some money. I like the light weight of the ar pistol as well. I have only held each of them once or twice, but the ar does have a weight advantage. does anyone have any suggestions for which company to purchase a parts kit through? I was kinda leaning toward gun smoke enterprise kits, but I am definitely open to suggestions. thanks
Well if you want a short buffer tube, i think GSE is your only choice. Be careful though i read somewhere that a short buffer tube will increase failures. Might wanna do a little research first, i think it was ar15.com where i saw the thread.
Old 11-17-2012, 8:32 AM

Get or build a AR pistol lower, Then build the ak pistol. You can always finish the lower later. This way if any laws change you'll have both.
Old 11-17-2012, 9:53 AM

true that, wouldnt want the laws to change on me and be in possession of an illegal pistol. I liked the idea of the shortened buffer tube, it makes it feel a little more like a pistol. might have to do the ar pistol first using a 80 percent lower and a build party at ares armory. now just need to obtain both kits
Old 11-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yari View Post
Get or build a AR pistol lower, Then build the ak pistol. You can always finish the lower later. This way if any laws change you'll have both.
Good strategery.
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams