Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 10-27-2012, 2:55 PM
You're a daisy if you do!
CGN Contributor

Default SanDisk ReadyCache

I added a SanDisk ReadyCache to my system and all I can say is this thing is awesome. My boot time went from just shy of 2 mins to just under 30 seconds. If you have a sluggish computer that has SATA ports, I would strongly suggest you consider adding one of these devices. For $50 it is money well spent.
Old 10-27-2012, 7:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I hadn't heard of those until now, looks pretty nice. Definitely a great upgrade if you don't already have an SSD.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:59 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

I'm going to get one and install it in my desktop box. Thanks for the 411 on this as I was thinking of going full SSD, but wanted to wait until I built a whole new system. Now, I think I might get a few more years out of this box.
Old 10-28-2012, 7:43 AM
CGN Contributor

I am so impressed with this thing I think I will get one for each of the other desktops in my house.

Make sure you have a spare SATA port before ordering one. Also note, it DOES come with a 3.5" bracket for mounting. I made the mistake of purchasing an extra mounting bracket. I guess I should have paid a bit more attention to the "what's included" when I placed my order.
Old 10-28-2012, 3:55 PM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

Hm. Wonder if I could get away with tossing one of these in my workstation at the office ... it's already fast, but this could really up the ante by quite a bit ...

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic68220_5.gif
Old 10-28-2012, 4:13 PM

Windows 7 only? Why?
Old 10-28-2012, 4:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asymmetricalwarfar3 View Post
Windows 7 only? Why?
Because windows 7 has better SSD support(not sure if these caching drives require TRIM and everything else)? Companies are tired of writing drivers for old operating systems(xp and vista are old, even 7 isn't the latest anymore)?
Old 10-30-2012, 3:59 PM

Very cool product. If I didn't already have SSD's in my PC's I would pick this up in a heartbeat.
Old 10-30-2012, 6:35 PM
Calguns Addict

cool, I might have to pick up one of these.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 10-30-2012, 7:43 PM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

Okay, so next question ... any idea if this would do any good in a USB 3.0 enclosure? I don't have a second drive bay in my laptop, and it's getting it's *** handed to it in some things that have a lot of drive access, since it's only got a 5400 rpm drive ...

No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

Old 10-30-2012, 9:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

No. You'd need to just swap the slow HDD with an SSD in your laptop.

Fortunately if you don't need tons of storage space, 120GB SSDs are getting cheap, and even 240GB is pretty reasonable.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
Okay, so next question ... any idea if this would do any good in a USB 3.0 enclosure? I don't have a second drive bay in my laptop, and it's getting it's *** handed to it in some things that have a lot of drive access, since it's only got a 5400 rpm drive ...
I would swap out the old drive and put in a dedicated SSD. Best upgrade I've done to my laptop after upgrading the RAM. 120GB SSD's are coming down in price. If you happen to have a DVC/CD drive bay that is removable, like on the Lenovo T series, you might be able to get a drive carrier and put your old HD in it and put in place of the DVD Drive.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:00 AM

its worthless, its 32Gb a ssd but im sure all the software does is copy your most accessed files and reroute traffic to it. you would be better off just getting a larger ssd. I recently replaced my laptop hard drive with a 64Gb ssd for $50 but it had a $20 rebate. so I ended up spending less then $1/2Gb which isnt bad at all.
my route would far better suite most anyone that wanted faster booting and better system performance.

for my a laptop i can getaway with running a smaller ssd but on a home desktop I would definitely get at least a 120Gb for the OS and run other hard drives for storage. If you really want speed get a few of the same ssd's and run them in raid 0
Old 10-31-2012, 7:44 AM
CGN Contributor

Dyna, it is far from worthless. I have been running it for a week now and am totally happy with the performance increase. Additionally, the data on the SSD is duplicated on the traditional HD. In the event of a corruption on the SSD the system is still on the HD and will operate just fine. SSDs, particularly the less expensive ones, have a fairly low MTBF when compared to a traditional HD.

While I agree that 32GB is a tad on the small side, SanDisk has done their homework and released a product that is excellent. I will presume that you know motherboard manufacturers have been putting dedicated ports on the motherboard for just this application. Additionally, HD manufacturers are also doing exactly the same thing built into the drive as a Hybrid.

The SanDisk ReadyCache is an inexpensive way to upgrade a desktop PC and get the best of both worlds: SSD Speed and traditional HD data integrety.
Old 10-31-2012, 3:57 PM

Ok its not worthless but it would be better to spend money on a larger SSD like I have.
On the plus side it looks really easy to install and to setup. Replacing an older drive with a new SSD and transferring all he old data over (cloning) can be a little more involved. It is cheaper then getting a large SSD too. If the system was ok and snappy but now seems slow people should look to what programs are running and bogging down the system. I have seen pc's with 15-20 programs running in the background and that can slow you down to a snail's pace.
Old 10-31-2012, 6:41 PM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
No. You'd need to just swap the slow HDD with an SSD in your laptop.

Fortunately if you don't need tons of storage space, 120GB SSDs are getting cheap, and even 240GB is pretty reasonable.

I'm finding even 750 GB to be a little ... crowded ... these days. I just picked up 3TB to use for NAS. Some of the documents I'm generating are 50+ megs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel View Post
I would swap out the old drive and put in a dedicated SSD. Best upgrade I've done to my laptop after upgrading the RAM. 120GB SSD's are coming down in price. If you happen to have a DVC/CD drive bay that is removable, like on the Lenovo T series, you might be able to get a drive carrier and put your old HD in it and put in place of the DVD Drive.

Now that's a brilliant idea, and I'm just not sure why I didn't think of that one.

It's a Toshiba P755, and I just looked ... sure 'nuff, there's optical drive caddies for hard drives for this. I REALLY need to get set up with one of those.

Hm. I might be giving Newegg a call here soon for an SSD and some RAM as well ...

Old 11-02-2012, 5:30 PM
Irritable Smut Lordô
CGN Contributor

Welp, just ponied up for an SSD. Got the new Samsung 840 250 GB - I'll take a risk on the TLC NAND, see how it does - and a hard drove caddy to replace my optical drive.

Also picked up a 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 kit. Not sure why they'd ship a computer that should be running dual-channel with a 4GB and a 2GB DIMM ...

Old 11-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.Steele View Post
Welp, just ponied up for an SSD. Got the new Samsung 840 250 GB - I'll take a risk on the TLC NAND, see how it does - and a hard drove caddy to replace my optical drive.

Also picked up a 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 kit. Not sure why they'd ship a computer that should be running dual-channel with a 4GB and a 2GB DIMM ...
Nice. I'm sure you will be very happy with the start up times and over all performance. Plus the fact that you get to repurpose the DVD/CD drive bay and keep all your data intact on the larger drive is a nice bonus. I can't even remember the last time I needed to use the DVD/CD drive on my laptop!
Old 11-11-2012, 7:17 PM
misanthrope
CGN Contributor

Ok, got it. Struggling a bit with it. Any idea where you get the "activation code?"

EDIT - Nevermind, found it.

Last edited by epilepticninja; 11-11-2012 at 7:32 PM..
Old 11-15-2012, 5:52 PM
CGN Contributor

You will love this SanDisk ReadyCache. Remember, at this time it only works on Windows 7. I hear they are getting a driver ready for Windows 8.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM
CGN Contributor

For those interested, Newegg has these on sale today for $39.99.

Also, I saw some on Amazon for $37.??

If you buy through amazon you can give back to CGN too.

Thought someone might be interested and was holding out for the sale.