Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Tips on finding time/making yourself reload?

I have tried my hand at reloading and have a LCT setup in the garage.
But I always seem to be too busy to do it and it has just been sitting there gathering dust.

Anyone have any tips to finding time and/or making yourself get out there and reloading?

I don't find it all that relaxing after a long day of work like some folks here haha.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:20 PM

Don't worry about it... You'll start reloading automatically when money gets too scarce to buy as much loaded ammo as you want.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM

Try doing the stuff in batches. Large batches for the stuff you can do while sitting in front of the tv or whatever (checking case length, inspecting for damage, etc.) and small batches for running through the press... 10-20 at a time or so. You didn't say rifle or pistol?

Certainty of death... small chance of success... what are we waiting for? --Gimli, son of Gloin; on attacking the vast army of Mordor

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
--Patrick Henry; Virginia, 1775
Old 11-15-2012, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member

Enjoy doing it. If it's a chore, don't bother.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 PM

Get married. Then you will flee to the garage to load for sanity.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkincal View Post
Try doing the stuff in batches. Large batches for the stuff you can do while sitting in front of the tv or whatever (checking case length, inspecting for damage, etc.) and small batches for running through the press... 10-20 at a time or so. You didn't say rifle or pistol?
Pistol, so it is even easier! haha.
10 or 20 at a time might not be a bad idea.
Then by the end of the week at least I would have a couple boxes. Better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPointEight View Post
Yeah, that is kind of what I was thinking in the first place...
Old 11-16-2012, 1:22 AM
Calguns Addict

I usually get a bit... concerned when I see either of my main Folgers "coffee tubs" go lower than like 250-350 (9 OR 5.56mm[, OR when I see less than 2000 22lr left]).

That is reason enough for me to start her up... as we did start buying "stuff" like Paris Hilton on a binder after the UK riots blew up, this soon after after seeing Katrina's issues.
Old 11-16-2012, 3:26 AM

If you don't enjoy doing reloading, then you will probably never do it unless there's a financial reason to...
Old 11-16-2012, 4:32 AM

Don't you ever just find yourself sitting around bored? I'll do several hundred at a time every couple of nights. Next thing you know, you're looking at a few thousand home rolled pieces of ammo.

Like the others said though, if you don't have any incentive, you probably won't do it. I have virtually zero factory .45 anymore, so if I don't make any, I don't get to shoot. Ymmv.

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 11-16-2012, 5:04 AM

It's all about motivation. Like hitting the gym; If you don't want results....you're not gonna do it. I've been on my bench since I heard Chicago wanted to impose a $0.05 tax on every round of ammo sold. California is on the same level of stupid. What more motivation do you need. Every round of ammo I roll is like telling the CA legislature and Feinstein to F***OFF!
Old 11-16-2012, 5:16 AM

I do a bunch of "reloading" while watching my girls in the afternoon, I just do the non-press activities during this time in the family/living room.

Sorting Brass, Trimming with my Possom Hallowtrimmer, loading up the vibration tumbler, filling primer tubes.

You'll realize that once the supplementary "stuff" is done and all you have to do is run the press.. If you are using a progressive, even spending 30 mins is around 300 rounds.
Old 11-16-2012, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibuff View Post

Haaaaa! Yeah no kidding

http://www.socalprecisionforum.com/

Become a SoCal Precision Rifle Team fan on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/SoCalPrecisionRifleTeam
Old 11-16-2012, 7:20 AM

Once you start getting good results with your loads, the factory stuff will be junk in comparison. If your so busy that you can't sit down and concentrate for 30 minutes, your probably safer to just buy your ammo. It is supposed to be enjoyable.
Old 11-16-2012, 8:02 AM
Calguns Addict

I do my reloading late on Friday or Saturday night. I usually start around 9pm and finish up around midnight... sometimes going to about 1am. No one wants to bother me. Nothing is going on. I can just go to the garage and pump out rounds. I have a media laptop out there to keep me company, so that keeps me from being bored. It is also kind of fun and relaxing for me... if everything is going right.
Old 11-16-2012, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnchors View Post
.....But I always seem to be too busy to do it and it has just been sitting there gathering dust. I don't find it all that relaxing after a long day of work like some folks here haha.
Sounds like reloading might not be the thing for you. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 11-16-2012, 8:12 AM

I get up 30 minutes early and crank out 100 rounds in the morning. Starts my day out right.
Old 11-16-2012, 8:14 AM
Veteran Member

Trouble finding time?
Stay off the internet --
Old 11-16-2012, 8:39 AM

All kidding aside about the wife joke.

Like shooterbill said if you don't have time to focus 100% while reloading don't do it. In my opinion you should not have any distractions while loading. I don't even allow anyone in the garage with me when loading. Just me and maybe some music. I think that is why some people find it relaxing cause they are totally focused on loading so it takes your mind of everything else.

When you first start reloading it's a little nerve racking, worrying your gonna blow yourself up if you screw up. I think once you've loaded for a few years and are more comfortable it becomes relaxing.

I've never used the LTC so don't know but maybe if you had different or better equipment you might enjoy it more.
Old 11-16-2012, 9:39 AM
Veteran Member

Try to create some system- Reload half of what you shot that day; or something like that.

I enjoy reloading, but have a ton of ammo already. So I kind of just reload as needed.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
This.

IYAOYAS
Old 11-16-2012, 10:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Reloading is like any other hobby, when you don't want to do it, don't do it. If you see it as something you have to do instead of something you get to do, just give your press away and use the space for something you enjoy doing.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 11-16-2012, 2:59 PM
Dirt Farmer
CGN Contributor

I find reloading to be extremely relaxing. It takes my mind off my job and the BS of everyday life. It changes my point of focus to something I enjoy and it produces tangible results.

Think of it as quality time rather than a chore.

Senate Public Safety Chair Loni Hancock:
"Yeah, we do that quite a lot, actually..."

- Joint Legislative Informational Hearing on Firearms - Newsom Initiative #1756 - May 3rd 2016
Old 11-16-2012, 3:08 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

+1.
Old 11-16-2012, 4:27 PM

Try setting aside a single evening each week or month, your choice. I tend to to reload weekly on Tuesday evenings, MNF is over and there ain't much on the tube. Wednesday isn't too bad either, but heading toward the end of the week and prepping for the weekend Thursday and Friday leaves little time for other 'stuff' like reloading.

You lifestyle should dictate when you are able to single out an evening to reload....if that's your choice.
Old 11-16-2012, 6:25 PM

Get a progressive press so you can do 500-600 rounds in an hour, then make big batches. Makes things go much quicker, I don't have much time either3640 Francis
Chino, CA 91710
(corporate office)
Old 11-16-2012, 6:42 PM

Having an old freezer filled with ammo motivates me. My family believes heavily in stock pilling. I even reload for my Pops and the guy hasnt fired a round in 10 years but he has a couple 1000 38 spc if he decides he wants to.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 11-16-2012, 7:05 PM
Calguns Addict

You know... I reload pistol on a progressive. It takes me a max of an hour to press what I need for one outing. That's fine.

Rifle takes me a lot longer, but it is also more fun because I'm loading for accuracy, so I'm being much more careful and involved in the process. That does help.

Being married doesn't influence anything for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2012, 7:17 PM
Veteran Member

don't buy ammo, just reloading components, then you have no choice. or buy weird old rifles like me, then you have no choice, lol. buy a lyman 1200dps powder dispenser/scale. really streamlines things. haven't reloaded myself in a while but had to for a new acquisition and once i dialed everything, it went really nice. now i remember why i like it. will be doing more from now on.
Old 11-16-2012, 9:49 PM

For me I usually go out to the garage around midnight for an hour or two and run brass through the press before I go to bed.

Stainless media cuts down on brass prep so that helps, I will start a tumbler as soon as I get home from work and take it off when it is done.

I measure powder with a chargemaster 1500 while watching TV then take them all outside and run the bullets down.

I usually load 250 at a time so this is what works for me.

If you load only 50 rounds twice a week it will build up your stash over time.
Old 11-17-2012, 8:56 AM

Quote:
I don't find it all that relaxing after a long day of work like some folks here haha
Quote:
+2

It seems like it is a chore to you rather than something you enjoy. If that's the case, you will intentionally find other things to do rather than load.

Most people are responding how the set aside the time, but if you don't want to do it, you will never find the time. You will always find something else to fill any free time.

...your question sounds lie you are asking "how do I find time to paint the house" or "how do I find time to clean the grill"...

Last edited by SVRider; 11-17-2012 at 8:59 AM..
Old 11-17-2012, 9:00 AM
Calguns Addict

If you dont have time to reload, how do you have time to shoot? I reload for 1-1.5 hours once a month. But shooting (a match) is 8 hours 2-3 times a month.
Old 11-17-2012, 9:03 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I have tried my hand at reloading and have a LCT setup in the garage.
But I always seem to be too busy to do it and it has just been sitting there gathering dust.

Anyone have any tips to finding time and/or making yourself get out there and reloading?

I don't find it all that relaxing after a long day of work like some folks here haha.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks.
You are on the computer?????? There is the time.
Old 11-17-2012, 9:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

THIS!

I don't even shoot that much, but I seem to find time / and excuse to make a **** load of ammo. It's not like it has an expiration date!

Really though I do the steps in batches...

Pistol for example...
Night #1 Size deprime however many my sanity will allow
Night #2 Bell the cases
Night #3 prime while watching TV
Night #4 Load em up!
Old 11-17-2012, 9:42 AM
Calguns Addict

If you have more than 5K posts on Calguns, you have PLENTY of time for reloading...
“Political tags — such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth — are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” — Robert A. Heinlein

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” — Samuel Adams
Old 11-18-2012, 6:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Ryan...move the entire reloading operation inside the house (spare bedroom) and have new benches, shelves, component storage. Pipe in some music and a comfortable chair. Make it fun to be in that room.

Who wants to reload in a cold garage with cold, concrete floors?

Get a Dillon 550B Progressive. More fun, more production, high resale value.

hahah.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 11-18-2012, 8:01 AM
Banned

Quote:

Yea. Plus what else is there besides competitive shooting, cleaning guns and reloading? I hate reloading and cleaning also, so I only crank out about 300-400 rounds a week, just enough for the next match.
Old 11-18-2012, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Ryan...move the entire reloading operation inside the house (spare bedroom) and have new benches, shelves, component storage. Pipe in some music and a comfortable chair. Make it fun to be in that room.

Who wants to reload in a cold garage with cold, concrete floors?

Get a Dillon 550B Progressive. More fun, more production, high resale value.

hahah.
I kind of like my cold, concrete floors. And the smell of solvent.

I don't like the hot garage in the summer. That's when I bring my portable rig inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
don't buy ammo, just reloading components, then you have no choice. or buy weird old rifles like me, then you have no choice, lol. buy a lyman 1200dps powder dispenser/scale. really streamlines things. haven't reloaded myself in a while but had to for a new acquisition and once i dialed everything, it went really nice. now i remember why i like it. will be doing more from now on.
+1 on this. This is also how I sold reloading to my wife. The only ammo I purchase is 22lr and home defense. If I don't reload and she wants to go to the range . . . . . . well lets say its in my interest to keep ammo available so that wont happen.
Old 11-18-2012, 6:44 PM
Veteran Member

I'm guessing the OP doesn't shoot enough yet to make it financially worthwhile. That is a powerful motivator, especially for handgun cartridges.

What got me started was the cost savings (BTW, the high price of Dillons actually put me off of reloading; the LCTP's lower price helped me pull the trigger, so to speak). I learned that not only could I lower my per-round ammo cost, but I could also assure myself of an ammo supply in the first place. Once I got started doing it regularly, I discovered that I liked it, and I've kept it up since.

OP, what cartridge is it that you normally shoot?
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 11-18-2012, 7:03 PM

instead of watching tv or cruising calguns, go load a box or 2 of something or prep some brass.