Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 11-18-2012, 3:13 AM

Default Got my appt, Sac Co, need advice!

So I squeeze in an appointment for my CCW! (Its usually full, but if you check often, someone will cancel and 1 appt will open up). MY APPOINTMENT IS ONLY A FEW DAYS AWAY.

1. What is a "letter of statement"? (in my appt confirmation email it says to bring it, but it isn't explained anywhere. Is it my justification?)

2. I had some run ins with the law from 1991-1996 ( from 19 years old to 24 years old. 5 offenses total. DUI, Wet and wreckless, poss of pot, burglary and petty theft, all were misdemenors, and had a lot to do with pot and alcohol ) I am now 40, Long time homeowner, State job, and 15 years of sobriety. I plan to be completely honest about everything.

3. Is self-defense good cause? I've heard people say it is, but I want to be sure before I use that as my only justification. Is there a standard letter everyone is using?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 11-18-2012, 4:20 AM

burglary and petty theft??? watchagonnadowithagun?
Old 11-18-2012, 4:57 AM

Well, if you really must know, my screwups were 20 years ago. One was taking a shortcut across homes under construction and we were held liable for thefts made prior. The other was from a friend who owned a liquor store, did an insurance job and told us how to get in and help ourselves. Hard for a kid to pass up. I admit I was wrong in both instances, but I have been a productive member of society in many ways, and for many years.
Now, does anyone have a helpful, intelligent answer?
Old 11-18-2012, 5:36 AM

Be honest with detectives they pull your rap sheet before they even call you in for the actual interview .

Your colorful criminal past will get you a few smart *** remarks around here . But what do you expect ? Ya should up here asking for advise ...

Good case statement needs to be your own . anything along the lines of desiring a ccw for self protection will suffice .

Good Luck !
Old 11-18-2012, 6:13 AM

OP, glad you turned your life around and as mentioned before I'd be honest. The interviewer will bring up your past because they already have your criminal history, driving history, handguns you own, and will go through a list of questions. Honesty, honesty, honesty..

There was a guy who just posted on the LTC forums recently who had a colorful past and was given his permit. All you need to do is prove that you've changed and your past is your past. Keep us posted and good luck..
Old 11-18-2012, 6:56 AM

I was one of those guys who did not have a "picture perfect past" (nothing violent, no guns involved). Honesty and long record (more than a decade) of being in position of responsibilty with no problems managed to get me a LTC. Like others have said, be straight foward, real and tell the truth. Good Luck.
Old 11-18-2012, 9:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

More info on good cause statement for Sac. County.
Old 11-18-2012, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock 27 View Post
So I squeeze in an appointment for my CCW! (Its usually full, but if you check often, someone will cancel and 1 appt will open up). MY APPOINTMENT IS ONLY A FEW DAYS AWAY.

1. What is a "letter of statement"? (in my appt confirmation email it says to bring it, but it isn't explained anywhere. Is it my justification?)

2. I had some run ins with the law from 1991-1996 ( from 19 years old to 24 years old. 5 offenses total. DUI, Wet and wreckless, poss of pot, burglary and petty theft, all were misdemenors, and had a lot to do with pot and alcohol ) I am now 40, Long time homeowner, State job, and 15 years of sobriety. I plan to be completely honest about everything.

3. Is self-defense good cause? I've heard people say it is, but I want to be sure before I use that as my only justification. Is there a standard letter everyone is using?

Thanks in advance for the help!
We are going to have to assume that the "Letter of Statement" refers to the Good Cause statement. Sacramento will accept self-defense for your GC. Be COMPLETELY honest and forthright with everything you can remember. It is far worse to leave something out that you did 2 decades ago and to be thought of as untruthful today. The stuff you did was another lifetime ago and likely will not get in the way of your quest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp View Post
Where can I get a pair..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I like it colored
Old 11-18-2012, 4:49 PM
Veteran Member

"Letter of statement" is definitely what SSD calls the good cause statement (what's specified on page 13 of the DOJ application, written on a separate sheet of paper).
Old 11-19-2012, 8:59 PM

Doesn't sound like nothin' but dumb kid stuff, long ago. Relax. I done worse, got caught, eventually got a cop job. Life goes on. Like they said, be honest. They are programming us to think "am I good enough?". That's BS. It's your right unless you do something serious enough to lose it.
Old 11-20-2012, 6:35 AM
Banned

Funny how people are saying it was just dumb stuff as a kid, but yet there are so many on this board that feel they have the right to shoot a burglar. Good thing you didn't run into any one like that.

Good luck with the appointment, and do as what others have said, tell them the truth. If you try and hide something and they find out about it, which they will, you might not be getting that permit.