Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 PM

Default Need help adjusting eye relief

I have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion on which I have mounted a Nikon Monarch UUC 3-9x40 scope. My problem is that I have moved the scope as far back as the mounting rings will let me, but I would really like to move the scope about 1/2 an inch further back for perfect eye relief. Can anyone give me some ideas on how I can accomplish this without blocking the spent cartridge from leaving the breech?

I have attached a picture so you can see what I mean (yes, this is a left-handed rifle)

By the way, this is a 7mm Remington Magnum, so the mount needs to be rock solid.

I appreciate any suggestions

Last edited by California12120; 11-15-2012 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 PM

Google "cantilever scope mount"; I've never used them and thus know nothing about them except for the fact that they exist.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 PM

You are either going to have to use a Picatinny rail or a 1 piece mount. Also, your rings look really high. Unless you have a tall cheek pad on the stock, you may want to lower it down.

Something like this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618...g-action-matte

Or this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/262...n-matte-medium

I had the same issue with my Remington 721, it is a long action and I had a shorter 2-10x scope I wanted to put on it. Didnt want to go with a rail so I put a longer 3.5-17x scope on it.

If I didn't have this gun the King of England could just come in here and start pushing you around. Do you want that, well do ya? - Homer Simpson
Old 11-16-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
You are either going to have to use a Picatinny rail or a 1 piece mount. Also, your rings look really high. Unless you have a tall cheek pad on the stock, you may want to lower it down.

Something like this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618...g-action-matte
Thanks!!
This is just what I was looking for. I was worried that a standard rail would block spent cartridge ejection or impede the bolt handle. The rings are too high, but I figured I could wait for a fix for the placement problem before getting a new set.

Last edited by California12120; 11-16-2012 at 1:02 AM..
Old 11-16-2012, 1:09 AM

would extension rings work? they come in a variety of heights, and i believe they move the scope about a half-inch closer to your eye (or farther away, depending on how they're mounted). i tried a set on my M1A, but they weren't what i needed.

"They seek to establish systems of government based on the regimentation of all human beings by a handful of individual rulers who have seized power by force. These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Last edited by strongpoint; 11-16-2012 at 1:14 AM..
Old 11-16-2012, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongpoint View Post
would extension rings work? they come in a variety of heights, and i believe they move the scope about a half-inch closer to your eye (or farther away, depending on how they're mounted). i tried a set on my M1A, but they weren't what i needed.
I think I'm going to try the rail solution, thanks for the suggestion!