Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 12-10-2012, 1:20 PM

Default Will I get another sweet spot at higher load?

While I really need to get a rifle rest to eliminate shooter error, I think I found the sweet spot my rifle likes to spit.
The loads I tested, 24, 24.2, 24.4 and 24.5 grains. If I ignore the couple of shots that were far in between (4 out of 10 shots on a bipod) and look at the ones that had a grouping, the 24.2 and 24.4 gave better results than the other loads.

Test were done at a 100 yards on a 16" chrome lined middy.
Used H335, Tula KVB223M primers used LC brass, length 1755" COAL 2227-2250" and generic 62 grain solid lead core bullets from Everglades.

So the question is, should I continue developing loads till I reach the recommended max? or should I just settle for 24.2 or 24.4? )though I did load a new batch of 24.3, .6 and .7 last night)
Would there be another sweet spot with higher loads?
I dont have a chrono, and I'm just thinking that maybe more powder would mean more velocity (for longer distance)?
Hodgdon's online data shows 63 grains max at 25 while Lyman's 39th has the 63 max at 26.4 grains and 25.8 for the 60 grains.

Last edited by gemini1; 12-10-2012 at 2:19 PM..
Old 12-10-2012, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini1 View Post
While I really need to get a rifle rest to eliminate shooter error, I think I found the sweet spot my rifle likes to spit......

So the question is, should I continue developing loads till I reach the recommended max?......

Would there be another sweet spot with higher loads?.......
I'll answer your second question first. The short answer is "there could be another sweet spot within the load range. It all depends on the dominant vibration mode of your barrel for a given "shock" input.

The answer to the second question is "Might as well-if for no other reason you will at least know. You already have the components, so check it out. And if you find another sweet-spot load within the safe range, you may have use for it-longer range, or some other reason.

Case in point. I have a pair of vaquero revolvers in .45 colt, that I did the same ladder load exploration for. I found a "sweet spot" load with one powder that was about half way through the range of safe loads. But out of curiosity, I went back again with some more loads that stepped up to the max recommended-jsut so I could "experience" the max load. I found a second optimum load very near the max. So now I have two good loads for the same guns-one a relaxed plinking load, and one bear-killer/steel knocker-downer. Not that I ever plan on confronting a bear, but at least I know the load......

Exploring these things, and learning from them are part of the fun! So do it.....and enjoy.
Old 12-10-2012, 4:52 PM

^^Ya what he said^^

How will you know unless you try?