Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-10-2012, 7:14 AM
Default Long term ammo storage

Its that time of year when my reloading efforts outpace my shooting efforts. Now that the nights are long I have been reloading quite a bit more than I shoot. I need a place to store it and I'm looking for advice on how/where to store it where it might stay good FOR MANY YEARS.

I live in a humid coastal region and keep it in old military ammunition cans. Is that enough to keep the moisture out for years? Do I need to add silica gel packets? Do I need to bring them inside the house?

I've heard stories of ammunition sitting in cardboard boxes for decades and shooting just fine but I'm not willing to risk it.

So how do you store your ammo for the long haul.
Old 11-10-2012, 8:44 AM

Just make sure the ammo cans are good quality and seal well. You can throw a couple desiccant packets in with each one if you're worried.

For my long term ammo storage, I buy sealed NATO battlepacks. Store them on the bottom of an ammo cabinet in the garage. Stays cool and dry.
Old 11-10-2012, 9:18 AM

I've read that if you're using ammo cans in high humidity environments, put Vaseline on the o-ring seals to help block moisture.

I would also recommend throwing dessicant packs inside as well
Old 11-10-2012, 12:30 PM

I live in Miami and most out here keep the ammo inside. Some cheap insurance would be to use some desiccants in the ammo cans. You can make your own with coffee filters and cat litter, buy some, or stop by your local pharmacy (they have a lot there that they just throw away).
It's ok to be jealous. We understand your animosity. We live the life you wish you had. And of over 4000 universities and over 1700 division 1 schools, only one is simply known as "The U"
Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 AM

Follow USGI train of thought.... Ammo Cans, desiccant packs and VCI plastic if it is steel cased, store them off the ground ( on 2x4s or pallets), label the outside ( so you don't keep opening it ) with contents, packed date, and cost if you want ( years from now you will thank me ), if the ammo is reloads save the data inside, and I remove all ammo from their boxes, leaving it loose or on stripper clips.. throw one of the OEM boxes in with the ammo for safeties sake, lot number, what it is...( I've seen to many horror stories about messed up ammo and cardboard packages... )

Just my two cents, hopefully some of this helps.
Old 11-12-2012, 3:12 AM

I store mine (majority of it) in mil ammo cans. The SHTF ammo have dessicants in them. The cans have ammo info inside and outside for quick reference. My practice ammo I just store them in plastic ammo cans since I cycle through them.
Old 11-12-2012, 2:42 PM

I store all my ammo in an old stand up freezer in the garage. I have 'Damp Rid" in there as well but I live in the desert so moisture isnt that much of a concern.

Old 12-10-2012, 4:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
Location: Somewhere in the Inland Empire between the mountains, the desert, and the beach

An inexpensive alternative is to use a bag of rice as desicant... or better yet... steal the old ladies stockings and fill up a foot with it!

Last edited by Darryl Licht; 12-10-2012 at 4:30 PM..