Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-15-2012, 4:40 AM
Banned

I gotta tell you: about five or six years ago, maybe longer, an online conservative friend of mine gifted me an NRA membership in my screen name. I accepted it. I chose American Rifleman as the magazine.

I had avoided joining the NRA because I felt they were merely a Republican activist group hiding behind guns.

I read the magazine every month. I renewed for my second year long membership on my own, then I renewed my third year on my own.

That was it. My suspicions were totally confirmed--actually by the second magazine of the first year, the gift year, I knew the NRA was merely a Republican activist organization hiding behind guns. But, being a gun owner, I figured I'd have to give money to someone.

So, I live in California, happily. We have, shall we say, gun laws that may be described accurately has being "unfriendly" to gun owners. I wondered by the rough and tough NRA did not park itself in CA, in NJ, in NY, and lobbylobbylobby in state houses for relaxing of our draconian gun laws.

I wondered, and re-upped. I still wondered, and re-upped the next time.

Then it hit me: like Bokonon was needed by Earl McCabe in Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle, gun laws were needed by the NRA so they continued to exist. McCabe in the novel always gets close to catching Bokonon, but then somehow he "escapes" to live another day. I saw the parallels, and bailed on the NRA, as my suspicions were confirmed.

So I joined CalGuns.net as a paying contributor. I am quite happy with my decision.

Here is my calypso on this subject:

Cat got to run
Dog got to stay
CDFingers
Dropped the NRA

CDFingers
Old 11-15-2012, 7:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Could have saved the time and just used Justice Scalia's thorough demolishing of the collective interpretation along with numerous examples from the 18th and 19th centuries in the Heller decision. Then turn the tables and ask why the RTKBA alone of the rights of "the People" in the Bill of Rights instead of individual. Perhaps a brief intro of the Oxford Comma...

It's a good argument but their cognitive dissonance will probably reject rightfully pointing out the racist intent (and net effect) of gun control in the US.

I like the idea of a 1 year membership and American Rifleman, though. Pretty cheap and if it sods them off and helps the cause a tiny bit, worth the effort. Similarly for CRPA.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14

Last edited by Uxi; 11-15-2012 at 7:48 AM..
Old 11-15-2012, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDFingers View Post
That was it. My suspicions were totally confirmed--actually by the second magazine of the first year, the gift year, I knew the NRA was merely a Republican activist organization hiding behind guns. But, being a gun owner, I figured I'd have to give money to someone.
Please be specific in what part of (R) agenda is NRA involved and what you read that made you believe this. It shouldn't be a problem to point out exact, numerous instances, right?
Old 11-15-2012, 8:34 AM
Banned

I usually walk past the bait.

I did my research and with it I am satisfied, so I chose my own path.

Enjoy our hobby.

CDFingers
Old 11-15-2012, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

It looks like a bait, but it's a very serious question.

The perception is everything and we all know that there are millions upon millions of left-leaning urbanities who have an instinctive knee-jerk reaction to the NRA without knowing a single fact about the organization. This is the definition of "ignorance" which they so despise when it's about issues close to them.

All I suggest is that we use this logical fallacy to push for a choice between admitting being ignorant and having to do the research on substance rather than talking points. After all, the left is very proud of being tolerant and accepting of different people...
Old 11-15-2012, 9:32 AM
Banned

I gave you the opportunity to let it go. But you chose not to.

Each and every year I read the American Rifleman all the editorials were about how Obama was going to do this, that, and the other thing, to come and git yur gunz. Every year, every month. Same old same old.

The magazine chose to sew fear, uncertainty, and doubt among its members in an effort to keep them afraid. Fear is easy to stimulate, and once stimulated, causes the person feeling it to act in an irrational manner--which is fine if you're being chased by a sabretoothed wildebeest--and members ponied up more and more bucks. But if you're trying to make rational decisions about gun laws, gun policies, and candidates, I prefer the truth to the hype.

The facts show that Obama advanced gun rights in some small ways and did not sign any ANY anti gun legislation. Yet we never, in the last four years, never did we see a single piece of editorial content that said in a positive way he signed the bill to carry in parks. And others.

I don't for a single moment disparage those on the right who choose to join the NRA. And I know that CalGuns must contribute as well. But for my money, CalGuns is looking at California. That's where I live. The NRA? Looking to their wallets.

The proof is in the pudding, and the pudding for me turned out to be sour. I threw it out.

on edit:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...heory-20110930

CDFingers

Last edited by CDFingers; 11-15-2012 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: bought a vowel and stuff
Old 11-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Calguns Addict

I'll skip the "what did or didn't Obama do" since it has been discussed in many threads and would just water down the issue at hand.

To make NRA into a Republican activist organization, I would expect you to provide something outside the gun rights issues where NRA is either fear mongering for a Republican agenda, or attacking Obama on any other issue except the gun rights.

A partisan, political organization surely would have to support a variety of social and economic issues that are near and dear to their ideology. It would make sense to go through specific DNC and RNC agenda points and find support for the claim that the NRA prefers one over the other.
Old 11-16-2012, 6:34 AM
Banned

I hope you watched the Jon Stewart clip of Wayne talking. I found that somewhat too shrill. This is the same issue I take with the editorials in American Rifleman: too shrill, too spinny, and not true. If the NRA wants folks like me for members, they're going to have to shoot straight and can the spin.

One thing I will say, is that I've learned how to figure out gun laws and policies on my own and to read all things with an objective mindset, slowly collecting facts to support my notions--facts like law, policy, and SCOTUS decisions. To me, the best SCOTUS decision is the McDonald one, using the 14th Amendment.

I would like to see the NRA be more truthful and seem less like little old ladies standing on chairs, holding their skirts, because someone, somewhere saw a mouse. I'm just posting what I think, as you asked.

CDFingers
Old 11-16-2012, 8:17 AM
Calguns Addict

These are all valid and respectful points as long as we don't drag (R) vs. (D) into the discussion.

As for the aggressive and sometimes paranoid style, it's partly marketing partly strategy, most likely adopted from other civil rights groups. The idea is to prevent the other side from getting any footing on any issue without stirring the hornets' nest. To see how it all really works, you would have to be in a meeting behind the closed door when NRA is lobbying the legislators - it's a completely different story.
Old 11-16-2012, 8:58 AM
Banned

I agree it is a marketing strategy.

I would say they'd make a stronger case if they used more facts and less spin.

CDFingers