Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 11-12-2012, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Minox coming soon, can't wait:

So what kind of scope do you get when you want to keep your rifle as light as possible and still shoot ~1,000 yards?

I looked at many "tactical" scopes, all were expensive and heavy.

I looked at many ~hunting scopes, most lack side focus, target turrets or have maximum power lower than the 18x or so I was looking for. Especially in the 1" tube models, the elevation adjustment range is lacking if magnification is high.

All the while I kept seeing Minox scope banner ads.

When I finally looked, the weights were not excessive, the glass is supposed to be comparable to Zeiss Conquest and the prices are nice compared to Zeiss with similar features.

Looking at the available scopes, nothing jumped out at me. There was a 4-20x50 with side focus but 1/8 MOA clicks and only 36 MOA adjustment, it sounds more like a bench rest model than a hunting or "tactical" scope, the 1/8 MOA clicks killed it for me.

When I looked at the 6-30x56, it started to click for me. 1/4 MOA clicks, side focus, 40 MOA adjustment (due to a 30mm tube) so I can still get a close zero with a 20 MOA picatinny riser base and still only weighs 21 or 24 ounces depending on who you believe.

I wish it was a 4-20x with more adjustment range or maybe 5-25x but I think I can live with 6-30x.

I placed my order and now I'm waiting for my display model Minox ZA-5/30 6-30x56SF with XR-BDC reticle.

When it gets here I'll post my first impressions.

My rifle build for the scope is nearly done but hit a small snag so a full review will take a while.

Now I've got go get back to waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 11-12-2012, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

I used to have a Minox camera....

Old 11-20-2012, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I got the scope, it looks very nice.

I'm going to try some low light tests tonight.

I'll have to weigh it accurately but it feels fairly light for it's size.

Quote:
Dear Kevin,

Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 11-20-2012, 5:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Holding it free hand on 6x magnification, it gathers a good amount of light.

It's hard to tell with so much light pollution around here but looking at a telephone pole about 50 yards away, I could make out a ceramic insulator on the cross bar which appeared to my naked eye as just a dark spot.

With a steadier hold (on a rifle with bipod/rest), unchanging eye relief and dialed in focus, things can only get better.

I think the 30x will be neat at a 100 yard range, like a benchrest scope and 15-20x will be good when I stretch things out to several hundred yards and have to correct for wind.

Quote:
Dear Kevin,

Old 11-21-2012, 1:23 PM
Calguns Addict

After attempted mounting with Warne maxima low rings on a rail riser I have a small issue.

The spherical bell which the turrets and side focus knob sprout from has a flat on the bottom but it's not normal to the elevation tube axis, it slopes down on the side focus side.

With the low rings I can not rotate the scope vertical over the rail, it leans off to the windage turret side.

With higher rings this interference would not happen, probably 0.010" higher would clear just fine.

I'm not going to give up on the scope or the rings because the height is just about perfect but I will have to put the riser in the mill and lower the tops of a couple rail sections.

So if you buy the ZA5 6-30x56 scope and don't want to have to machine your rail, look for some rings a little higher than Warne Maxima low rings.

Also the eye relief on the scope is quite long, I believe every inch of their 4" spec. On my TM-10 build I am using a PRI riser which extends past the front of the receiver by about 2". With the front ring in the last slot I can get good eye relief with the ocular bell forward of the charging handle. I might try to move the whole riser forward for more eye relief but as is the riser let's me position the rings as far apart as possible which I think is good with that big 56mm objective hanging out front.

Speaking of big, the objective bell is bigger than my free float tube and the turrets are quite tall as well. It's pretty bulky.

On the plus side the eye relief is long enough that the charging handle is entirely behind the ocular bell which means it will be easy to charge.

So far I'm liking it but the rail interference issue is making this one more bit of delayed gratification.

Quote:
Dear Kevin,