Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 09-24-2012, 8:51 AM

Default Book about Compton PD

Found this at the book store the other day.

I'm 3/4 of the way through the book and all I gotta say is wow. Crazy stories.

The book takes place in the 60's, 70's, 80's, but also includes historical facts that go back longer than that. He gives his side of the story in regards to Compton PD's bad reputation & also talks about the city politics in those days.

I figured some of you guys (especially the older LEO's) would find the book interesting.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

I remember talking to some of those guys when they were still around before the LASD takeover. Sure sounded like a wild west sort of place. Every t-stop was a high risk felony stop. Shootings all the time. Foot pursuits non stop. Everyone carried 3 guns, 3 impact weapons, wore sap gloves, etc. Just like a war zone almost.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbagump View Post
Found this at the book store the other day.

I'm 3/4 of the way through the book and all I gotta say is wow. Crazy stories.

The book takes place in the 60's, 70's, 80's, but also includes historical facts that go back longer than that. He gives his side of the story in regards to Compton PD's bad reputation & also talks about the city politics in those days.

I figured some of you guys (especially the older LEO's) would find the book interesting.
Awesome book.
Old 09-25-2012, 1:52 PM

Whats the name of the book?
Old 09-25-2012, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entryteam View Post
Whats the name of the book?
Vice: One Cops Story of Patrolling America's Most Dangerous City

By Sgt. John R. Baker w/ Stephen J. Rivele
Old 09-25-2012, 5:30 PM
Veteran Member

http://www.amazon.com/The-Firestone-.../dp/0970657641 Another great read. It is fiction but there is a bunch of truth in this.
Old 09-27-2012, 8:44 AM

Thank u much
Old 11-05-2012, 4:49 PM

There is another titled Ghetto Cops. It's probably out of print but one chapter is devoted to someone I know very well and it suits him.
Old 11-05-2012, 9:59 PM

Not wanting to steal the thread. But this book made a real impact on me when I read it 30 years ago. Basically itís a professor who is challenged to become a cop for six months and see how and why we do what we do. He goes in thinking he will remain the same, but, well we know the outcome.

My GF just read it and said it helps her understand how we think and react different, even off duty, from regular citizens.

http://www.amazon.com/Signal-Zero-Ge.../dp/0345257715

Copies are expensive, I have one and will loan it to the coppers here. PM me if you want.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:54 PM

You guys just helped me wrap up my Christmas list! My grandfather's a retired Detective and will definitely like Vice and Signal Zero, as far as I have looked. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2012, 11:15 PM

Ordered from Amazon tonight. Only a few bucks. Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to reading this one.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:16 PM

Ordered from Amazon tonight. Only a few bucks. Thanks guys. I'm looking forward to reading this one.
Old 11-06-2012, 7:22 AM

That is one nasty city, but it has gotten MUCH better since LASD took it over and Compton PD went by way of the Dodo. You should have seen the mess LASD found. Corruption, many hundreds of unworked cases, including homicides, gangs ruled the streets, there was ZERO trust between citizens and law enforcement, and the list goes on. Some of the Compton PD officer who passed the backgrounds were absorbed into LASD, but many were rejected.

Although Compton is still a nasty place, it has change quite a bit for the better. Law abiding citizens in Compton have a new relationship with law enforcement, those cases have been worked and many solved, The crime rate is much lower than it was and gang bangers have been somewhat neutered. Violence is still a huge issue because the city is packed tightly with thugs and gang bangers, but it is nothing compared to what it use to be. I have heard gang bangers complain that the "Sheriffs" are on them constantly. As it should be.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 11-06-2012, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed24-7 View Post
That is one nasty city, but it has gotten MUCH better since LASD took it over and Compton PD went by way of the Dodo. You should have seen the mess LASD found. Corruption, many hundreds of unworked cases, including homicides, gangs ruled the streets, there was ZERO trust between citizens and law enforcement, and the list goes on. Some of the Compton PD officer who passed the backgrounds were absorbed into LASD, but many were rejected.

Although Compton is still a nasty place, it has change quite a bit for the better. Law abiding citizens in Compton have a new relationship with law enforcement, those cases have been worked and many solved, The crime rate is much lower than it was and gang bangers have been somewhat neutered. Violence is still a huge issue because the city is packed tightly with thugs and gang bangers, but it is nothing compared to what it use to be. I have heard gang bangers complain that the "Sheriffs" are on them constantly. As it should be.
It's not so bad now. I drove through it last week and nobody even looked at me twice, except for this one really cute girl in a SUV... but she could be just a ringer and setting me up to be distracted so the gangbangers can kill me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumba View Post
I remember a story of two Compton officers (a veteran and a rookie) allowing a bad guy to get the drop on them during a t-stop. Both officers were made to kneel down and then shot in the back of the head execution style.
Yes, remember that very well. It was a warzone, literally, back then.
Old 11-06-2012, 7:52 PM

I work for LASD.....trust me when i say Compton is FUBAR still, but not as bad as it once was. Demographics have changed quite a bit too.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 11-12-2012, 6:16 PM

Just finished reading it. Awesome book.