Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Riflegear.com
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Riflegear.com Hosted by Riflegear.com

Old 08-21-2012, 5:06 PM

Default ridiculous long wait times...express pick up lane?

Hi Riflegear,

I was wondering if you guys can initiate some sort of express pick up lane? I dropped by today over lunch to pick up a lower. I had 5 numbers in front of me. After watching a guy window shop and asking to see a rifle for the 7th time (among other window shoppers), I walked out after waiting 40 minutes without a single number moving. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a quick pick up express lane of some sort which would take less than 5 minutes as opposed to waiting a long time. Some guy in front of me said he was waiting for an hour.
Old 08-21-2012, 5:16 PM

Here we Go !!
Old 08-22-2012, 7:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARLANDO View Post
Here we Go !!
Old 08-22-2012, 9:13 AM
Vendor/Retailer

We were short an employee yesterday who couldn't come in due to an emergency and employees have to take lunch breaks. I apologize for the long wait times, but you have to realize you aren't talking about picking up a loaf of bread here. Exactly how would an "express lane" to purchase a firearm work? How would we determine who gets to jump in front of the line before everyone else? We are about to switch around the way we work our shifts so that all sales associates will be here from opening to closing and that should help the situation somewhat, although we are not going to sacrifice the quality of service we give to each customer in order to rush people out the door.

We also would like to offer a true "will call" capability where someone that has completed their entire order online and just wants to pick it up, WITHOUT asking any questions or buying anything else, can just come in and pick it up. We are still mulling ideas about how to make this work, but obviously you wouldn't be able to use this service to purchase a firearm - maybe have to go around to the side and press a buzzer and deal entirely with someone from the warehouse.

This seems like a good opportunity to point out the thread that has been stickied to the top of our forum for a few weeks: Looking for a full time sales associate

www.riflegear.com
Old 08-22-2012, 5:13 PM

As for the retail establishment the salesperson could ask the window shopper if it would be alright if they could help the next person inline that actually wants to buy something.
It also applies to the window shopper too. They know if they're going to buy something or not. So they could tell the salesperson to help the next person waiting.
It's all about courtesy.

Last edited by RSPILOT; 08-22-2012 at 5:17 PM..
Old 08-22-2012, 5:39 PM

I dont mind waiting for good customer service. No complaints on this end about the folks at RifleGear. Everytime ive been to the store the employees made sure that all the questions each customer had were answered and taken care of completely. In fact the last time i was there i was just picking up a rifle and had to wait too. And I've never seen the employees just sitting around, everyone is always engaged doing something.
Old 08-22-2012, 9:42 PM

I've had to wait a good amount of time to buy a small part, but as long as the people being helped aren't sitting there swapping stories or asking to see every firearm in the store, I'm ok with waiting. It would be pretty disrespectful to ask if the person isn't buying anything to step aside for a paying customer. I guess you could ask if you could help the next customer in line if you need time to make a decision, but that usually doesn't work well. First the employee forgets to go back to the first customer, second if you are looking at a firearm the employee can't leave you with the firearm while your deciding. I agree, I've never seen an employee just sitting around, and answering all the customers questions is good customer service. It makes a big difference where I shop.
Old 08-25-2012, 5:21 AM

Only way to speed it up would to have the employees work on eye rolling, getting bigger egos and sarcasm

But then no one would enjoy visiting your shop
The wait can be rough, hope you find a suitable new employee!!

My pick up last time took 35 minutes waiting but that was ok, got full attention and all my other qs answered. No complaints!
Still one of the best shops in the oc!
Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM

I always have to wait in Riflegear too, but I use that time to window shop myself. In the end there is a reason Riflegear is super busy, and it's the same reason I will continue to give them my business.

However, the in store pick up in the back sounds like a great idea Shark. I would still probably pop into the store and look, but I wouldn't have to wait around if I didn't have time.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Shark,

I would suggest some type of priority for rifle/pistol pickups. Just the other day I waited approximately an hour just to pick up my rifle. I understand the need to listen and help each customer in turn when they're deciding on a purchase, but it seems to me that the actual picking up of the rifle really is like "picking up a loaf of bread" with the obvious addition of making sure the bread picker-upper is who they say they are and they get the correct "loaf".

I do think that a will-call window/buzzer setup would be a FANTASTIC idea, as I mainly do my shopping online with you guys and rarely need the special attention that you guys are known to provide to customers who have questions or those walking in off of the street.
Old 08-26-2012, 2:50 AM

I think a Pick-Up Only table around back would be great. That way the person picking up can't ask too see anything else or ask any questions that would be what the front counter is for.

You would also be able to pick up from front counter if you want to buy or see other things and have time to wait.

NRA Life Member
CRPA Life Member
Old 08-26-2012, 2:53 PM
Veteran Member

I see riflegears dilemma. Are customers that have already paid any more important than ones that are still buying? What if 20 pickups in a row show up, are all the ticket holders supposed to stand around unhelped for hours? First come, first served is the only fair way.
Old 08-26-2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_c70 View Post
Hi Riflegear,

I was wondering if you guys can initiate some sort of express pick up lane? I dropped by today over lunch to pick up a lower. I had 5 numbers in front of me. After watching a guy window shop and asking to see a rifle for the 7th time (among other window shoppers), I walked out after waiting 40 minutes without a single number moving. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a quick pick up express lane of some sort which would take less than 5 minutes as opposed to waiting a long time. Some guy in front of me said he was waiting for an hour.
Um honestly? It isn't a big deal, M-UP and wait, if you are for seeing a process of purchase, come in at a time applicable when you aren't pinched for time, like AFTER work. Window shoppers are just as important as anyone else, my guy does it all the time. If you want a quicker process, pay online via the store, and go in. But because of Riflegears great customer dynamics and great env, expect some down time, while you wait. My brother went in to look at a few rifles, was going to get high cap magazines for work, but got carried away with just browsing for now. He spends thousands and thousands and thousands, does that make him anymore important then you? No. Everyone is there for the same reasons, if time is an issue for you, as stated, come in when you can set aside time to wait your turn. Express lane? When exactly did RG become a Ralphs? Again, you want to cut on some time? PAY ONLINE, and do pickup and paper work, doesnt shave that much more off, but complaining about something that can be controlled on your end? Ridic, their business operation is FINE as is. You are the one who needs to come in with a larger window of time to finish browsing, pick a lower, fill out paper work, pay, and leave with your receipt and come back a few days later, done, easy; presto.

No fuss needed. They are fine, adjust your time table and shop when you have more time to squeeze it in. I work 16-18 hours a day, if I want something, I make the time, like I came in for July parking lot sale. Relax. Having a pick up area is great, but you know people will complain that maybe they just wanna see one thing, or try to ask Q's anyways, people should slow down, and balance their time properly, and just conduct business normally at store front. Isnt some radio electronics store selling crap out of side of building down harbor deep in Santa Ana lol.

RG, I'd apply, but I think I'd spend more then I'd make great customer service, great products, good stuff.

Last edited by onequickshift; 08-26-2012 at 8:52 PM..
Old 08-27-2012, 5:25 PM

Shark - Please note that I'm not questioning your customer service. If anything, it's one of the best customer service establishments I've had the pleasure to do business with. If I were to purchase something, I'd be more than happy to wait in line to receive the proper service. I've bought pretty much most of my AR gear from you guys, so I'm willing to wait in line for it.

I'm merely suggesting if it was possible to get a will-call/pick up window as you stated. Perhaps my choice of words of conveyance weren't the greatest. It was probably due to the short open window I had, I've waited already 10 days, etc. Either way, my apologies.
Old 08-27-2012, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequickshift View Post
Um honestly? It isn't a big deal, M-UP and wait, if you are for seeing a process of purchase, come in at a time applicable when you aren't pinched for time, like AFTER work. Window shoppers are just as important as anyone else, my guy does it all the time. If you want a quicker process, pay online via the store, and go in. But because of Riflegears great customer dynamics and great env, expect some down time, while you wait. My brother went in to look at a few rifles, was going to get high cap magazines for work, but got carried away with just browsing for now. He spends thousands and thousands and thousands, does that make him anymore important then you? No. Everyone is there for the same reasons, if time is an issue for you, as stated, come in when you can set aside time to wait your turn. Express lane? When exactly did RG become a Ralphs? Again, you want to cut on some time? PAY ONLINE, and do pickup and paper work, doesnt shave that much more off, but complaining about something that can be controlled on your end? Ridic, their business operation is FINE as is. You are the one who needs to come in with a larger window of time to finish browsing, pick a lower, fill out paper work, pay, and leave with your receipt and come back a few days later, done, easy; presto.

No fuss needed. They are fine, adjust your time table and shop when you have more time to squeeze it in. I work 16-18 hours a day, if I want something, I make the time, like I came in for July parking lot sale. Relax. Having a pick up area is great, but you know people will complain that maybe they just wanna see one thing, or try to ask Q's anyways, people should slow down, and balance their time properly, and just conduct business normally at store front. Isnt some radio electronics store selling crap out of side of building down harbor deep in Santa Ana lol.

RG, I'd apply, but I think I'd spend more then I'd make great customer service, great products, good stuff.
After work will be worse as there will be even more people

Please note this is strictly for pick up. I waited an hour to DROS my lower. I window shopped while I waited. I have no problems with that.
Old 08-27-2012, 5:46 PM

LOL well if anyone wants to wait around with me at Riflegear i'll be there at 10am this coming Saturday to pick up my lower and some other odds and ends. i'm always up for shooting the ***** with some fellow Calgunners. i find that getting there as close to opening time is best. of course, depending on my schedule it doesn't always work out that way.
Old 08-27-2012, 9:47 PM

1st great shop and staff.

Maybe a couple lines, pickup area for online orders (parts), a line for store browsing, another for firearm pickups (post 10 days, cause you still have to do safety check) and lastly gun sales/PPTs.

Just my thoughts.... It'll give the people in line some idea what they're waiting for.
Old 08-29-2012, 8:02 PM

Default Why Fix something that is not broken

Yes the wait can be long, but I totally agree with "First come First Serve". The current numbering system works; most of your customers don't have a problem with it. Riflegear should not be like the post office where there is a dedicated line to purchase stamps only.

My only suggestion may be to provide a few chairs for the long wait (you have room by the windows) and add one or two more TV monitors with different programming (not too loud). You know, just to kill time while entertained by the tube... well, flat screen.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

I waited an hour just to buy 2 pistol magazines a couple of Saturdays ago. It would have been great if I could buy those via online and pick up in-store using an express line or some sorts. I agree with providing a sitting bench for waiting patrons and the extra TV on the other side can't hurt. RG is doing is doing good but there is still room for improvements.

Super Robot VOLTES V
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Have fun & always be safe.
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
Old 08-31-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_c70 View Post
After work will be worse as there will be even more people

Please note this is strictly for pick up. I waited an hour to DROS my lower. I window shopped while I waited. I have no problems with that.
Worse? At least you wont be pickle pinching for time like you seem so adamant on doing. strictly for pick up? slow down, get service when its open for such. I've been there a few times to window shop in the last few weeks with my sister, never as busy as you make it out to be. My hubby has been there recently. My brothers, and a **** load of friends have been shopping there, no 1 hour waits, maybe you are just in to much of a rush.

Never been difficult to wait, get served at my turn. Done, and get out. And that goes from a flashlight, to a lower, a lpk, to fondling diff stocks.

Again, if theres people, wait your turn, its that simple. Youre making to much of nothing into something, where do you work?? what do you do? Ive gone in there when its been packed. And just stood there waiting my turn. isnt a big deal lol.

Eh, whatever, I work 12-16 hour days 3 days at each job, and still find the time to buy what I want, so whatever

complain on

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
I waited an hour just to buy 2 pistol magazines a couple of Saturdays ago. It would have been great if I could buy those via online and pick up in-store using an express line or some sorts. I agree with providing a sitting bench for waiting patrons and the extra TV on the other side can't hurt. RG is doing is doing good but there is still room for improvements.
2-4 benches outside, the kind like at parks would be great to relax on. My hubs was there I think Saturday, spent 17 hours working on stuff for his own customers, washed his hands, got wendys near the bridge near hospital, drove over to rifle gear, waited his turn, bought two g19 mags I think? Or maybe he bought other crap to, I never know lol, went back to his shop, loaded some hst, reholstered his weapon and got back to work solidworksing.

And stayed up another half day.

when we want we all make time. we just want more convenience, a quick in and out area, with an employee solely dedicated to pickups. and if someone off side tries to ask if they can fondle or view something, point to other counters and say wait in line to get seen to. PPL would complain about having to go from one line to another lol.

Eh. Hope everything goes to EVERYONES liking I guess.

Last edited by onequickshift; 08-31-2012 at 1:03 AM..
Old 09-01-2012, 8:39 AM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

How about a self serve type of display for some items and a person holding court at a register to ring the self serve and will call customers?

There is room in tge lobby for some stand alone fixtures, and not every transaction needs hand holding. I'd hate to see you losing biz to other places on some of the simple items like mags, etc due to wait avoidance issues.

Even the high end stuff could be sold that way. Just treat it like Costco and don't display the items where they can be shop lifted.

I'm not sure what your retail/Internet revenue proportions are, but I would wager a ftf transaction is a LOT more costly to conduct than an Internet order and perhaps retail has ballooned more than you might have liked.

Just a thought.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:11 PM

i went in this morning to pick up my AR lower and only waited about 15 minutes or so -- this being about 10:45am. i thought it was kinda dead because of the holiday, but as i got into picking up my lower, as well as some other AR odds and ends, i ended up getting help for about another half an hour. so for all of those people that complain about the wait time, that was probably me holding everyone up today since by the time i left it was packed.

that said, the service at Riflegear is nothing but top notch. i had a question about going with a Raddlock with my lower instead of the usual bullet button, ended up installing it at the counter, and as it turns out there was an issue with the mag not dropping. so i tried it with a bullet button, and the same thing happened, so i asked the Riflegear gear guy (i feel bad that i didn't get his name) if we could swap out the mag, and it turns out the mag was the problem.

so with all that, plus getting ringed up for my other knick knacks, i was there for a solid 45 minutes, and not once did the Riflegear guy rush me, or not answer any of my dumb AR-noob questions. i'm actually glad their store isn't closer to me or i'd be spending all of my money there.

oh and because i purchased a lower, they gave me a free pass for two people at Angeles Range. i mean, how can you not like that?
Old 09-02-2012, 3:25 PM

My brothers were in there yesterday, they said it was packed to hell, but the wait and ticket counter works as it should.

But they agreed, maybe add bolted down benches outside? They said there was a prego lady that looked tired of standing, so yah that could be a good idea.
Old 09-02-2012, 4:03 PM

Expand to a bigger place
Old 09-03-2012, 7:18 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterhungle View Post
Expand to a bigger place
We have current plans to expand our existing showroom backwards into the warehouse. It's in the design phase right now so it will be awhile, but this should help.

www.riflegear.com
Old 09-03-2012, 8:45 PM

How about an appointment system for pickups only like the DMV? Ok before anyone jumps on me for that, I've always been in and out in less than 30 minutes when I made an appointment with them.

I was there on that same day weeks ago waiting to pickup a lower. I was on vacation so waiting was no biggie, but was definitely seeing a couple of folks there that were getting impatient. Picking up still takes a couple of minutes, gotta verify and look over the paperpwork.
Old 09-06-2012, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPhx501 View Post
How about an appointment system for pickups only like the DMV? Ok before anyone jumps on me for that, I've always been in and out in less than 30 minutes when I made an appointment with them.

I was there on that same day weeks ago waiting to pickup a lower. I was on vacation so waiting was no biggie, but was definitely seeing a couple of folks there that were getting impatient. Picking up still takes a couple of minutes, gotta verify and look over the paperpwork.
Not a bad idea, most people right now are just really impatient, honestly, its not that bad. I am having withdrawls, I haven't been able to do shop shopping since July, had some free time yesterday, but had to hit south coast

I think people should still just wait their turn, but I believe a simplified pick up only counter, maybe to the left of the door, near the knives would be good. Simply because theres no immediate fire arms right there.

And a small banner letting people know that if they come to PICK up a product it has to already be paid for, i.e. from online, or say a fire arm getting jail broken. That they can not ask to see other products because the line needs to be kept sped and moving.

Some people would complain though, probably stating they just want to see something small or the other. So not everyone can get pleased. Know what I mean?

I should work at RG part time, and bring my daughter as a mascott or something, and she can make teppanyaki on a little grill to the side lol.
Old 09-06-2012, 2:18 PM

I've been there just before opening at 10AM before, and as a testament to the service at the store, there were quite a few guys already waiting around for you guys to open - I was DROSing a gun that day though so I didn't mind the wait

That said, a sort of Will-Call/Pick-up Only line/window would be great for those looking to pick up parts ordered online. Again, strictly online pick up only of parts already purchased/paid for through the online website. Would be really good for those days I need to come pick up a couple of mags or a parts kit or something. Keep a rule where any additional purchases or firearm pickups must go through the front part of the store
Old 09-06-2012, 9:50 PM

Make it looks like Costco

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
We have current plans to expand our existing showroom backwards into the warehouse. It's in the design phase right now so it will be awhile, but this should help.
Old 09-07-2012, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seainc View Post
Make it looks like Costco
Yeah ! with croissant and free sample
Old 09-07-2012, 5:52 PM

i know you guys are busy all the time. Like others have said and I agree. It's worth the wait. I always order online and do pick ups too. But on actual firearm stuff.... I got smart.. I either come in early or late.... So far that has worked for me. I'm in and out in about 15mins or less...

Great now everyone is going to do the same...
Old 09-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Whine, whine, whine, b..ch, whine, then b...ch some more.

Here's an idea for you Riflegear. They all think their time is more important than everyone else's. If they want to get infront of the line, even before the people that's been there before they are charge them an extra $50 or $100. Pay upfront before the service begins. Now , let's see how important their time is.

That's what rich people do. Pay extra for extraordinary services. And here we have peasants that dream of first class.

Last edited by 4Defense; 09-08-2012 at 11:11 AM..
Old 09-08-2012, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Defense View Post
Whine, whine, whine, b..ch, whine, then b...ch some more.

Here's an idea for you Riflegear. They all think their time is more important than everyone else's. If they want to get infront of the line, even before the people that's been there before they are charge them an extra $50 or $100. Pay upfront before the service begins. Now , let's see how important their time is.

That's what rich people do. Pay extra for extraordinary services. And here we have peasants that dream of first class.
Thats not fair to the other people waiting as they get bumped without consent.
Now if someone really wants fast service they walk in and take a number (say 20) and the counter reads 3. Blurt out "I'll swap tickets with the guy who has ticket 4 for $50.00."

Done and done.
No one was bumped without consent.
The in a hurry people can buy there way to the front.
The patient customer can make some quick cash.

Of course then the jobless guys will just hang out all day puling numbers to sell.
Old 09-09-2012, 9:14 AM

It can be bad at the wrong time of day or on a weekend but the same can be said of any good gun shop. The best customer service, web site and coolest people -no dicks or fanwagon knowitalls - When I'm stateside I drive 40 minutes to shop there/PPT's -
Favorite Gun Marlin 336 CS
FREE when you present a dd214 or active:
HK Builds your parts, from flats.
Barrel Work, threading, cutting, finishing, bluing/oxidizing and non caustic finishing.
EXPERIMENTING with Anodizing let me know if you want to submit a test subject
Old 09-09-2012, 11:20 AM

I went in yesterday around lunch time to window shop and ask questions as I'm looking to purchase my first rifle. I'm sure you all have been there at one point... Rifegear is the only shop I know of with a large selection of AR's. While they were packed, I felt bad taking a number as I realized that a large majority of the folks in there were picking up online purchases or getting stuff out of jail. I was at the rear of the line and employees did their best to speed up the process. I have no problem waiting in a long line as long as I get the complete customer service that Riflegear provides. It took about 45 minutes to thin out the line but when my number was called I received excellent customer service from Bret. With that being said I recommend calling to see how busy they are on the weekend or try going at an off time such as late in the afternoon or perhaps on a weekday.

I hope to do business with them soon!
Old 09-09-2012, 7:25 PM

A better analogy, RG is sometimes like the Apple store on the day of a new product release. Waiting hasn't been a big deal to me, but I've seen some dudes huffing and puffing away from the wait. Funny thing is that they'll be back because of the selection and CS.

How about showing videos other than Magpul? I'd wait without hestitation if a Jessie Abbate video was on.
Old 09-21-2012, 6:06 AM

We demand a live webcam of the storefront with projected wait times posted online. Make sure this is made available in an app too. What about prepaid "e-tickets" where you jump to the front of the line too!

Keep up the good work guys.
Old 10-01-2012, 8:46 PM

First come first serve. For those who don't understand, try working in a busy retail environment. I rather deal with an window shopper than the impatient *** wipe next in line waiting to pick up his rifle or purchase an 8 dollar part. Learn to wait and someone will be right with you, if you can't then come back some other time when YOU have time... just my 2 cents
Old 10-09-2012, 5:39 PM

I don't mind waiting. When I get to the counter, I get undivided attention.

I was at Riflegear for the first time ever on Sunday. Bought a Daniel Defense DDM4v5. I got to fondle every single gun I wanted to fondle, configured with every foregrip, sight, slight and doohickey that had in the displays.

Absolutely worth the wait.

IF a person is literally just window shopping---showing up to fondle guns with no intent of buying from Riflegear now or in the future, then THAT person should be courteous enough to allow others to be helped while they hem and haw at the counter. That's what I do. All the time. Everywhere. If I'm hemming and hawing at something, I ask the sales clerk to help someone else. It's polite, AND, I don't have a salesperson breathing down on me while I'm browsing.

I mean, really, who takes up a clerk's time with really no intention to purchase?
Old 10-09-2012, 6:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I wanted to update and the last couple times I was in there, if there was a cluster waiting one of the guys usually asks if anyone is there to pickup a firearm or start paperwork, which wa really nice to see. Thanks fellas!