Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-11-2012, 6:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Fry's customer service sucks!!!!

I got my laptop back, they didnt backup all my files but instead, just the folders to them. I got some of my docs and pics back but music, gone. Anyways, the laptop isnt running 100% like my function key doesnt work and my touch pad isnt doing everything it should be. I tried calling them back and I swear I needed to push 1 for english. I tried explaining what the issue is but the tech doesnt even speak english! It's like I'm trying to explain to a handicap person! GAAAAAAAAH
anyways. Can anyone help me out and explain how to get my function key to work again so I can change dimness and visual settings on the fly? I tried downloading the drivers from toshiba but nothing happened.
Thanks
Old 11-11-2012, 6:53 PM
Banned

LOL!

You expected a Fry's moron to fix your computer?!

Old 11-11-2012, 6:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Well it was under warrenty from them and the hard drive needed replacing.
Old 11-11-2012, 6:58 PM
Veteran Member

Haha. Frys customer service.
Old 11-11-2012, 7:03 PM
Banned

Warranty or not, Fry's employees will never touch my gear.
Old 11-11-2012, 7:09 PM
Bacon makes it better
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Go back, the hard drive they took from your computer is probably for sale as an "open box item" now.

Sent from Obama's Mind
Old 11-11-2012, 7:11 PM

It would help if you mentioned what OS your are using. Next time back up your hard drive yourself, just buy an external hard drive.
Old 11-11-2012, 7:13 PM

the driver should have done it. got any missing drivers in your device manager?
Old 11-11-2012, 7:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Fry's service department doesn't know jack.

You have a Toshiba laptop, right? Call Toshiba.
Old 11-11-2012, 7:18 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yeah, I was hoping to fix that tonight. Wonder if Toshiba will charge me. Never going to pay for the extended warrenty again.
Old 11-11-2012, 7:25 PM

Never expect the big box retailers to fix your computer correctly. Toshiba is a much better bet.
Old 11-11-2012, 7:27 PM
Veteran Member

Go back and get a refund, then call Toshiba. Fry's...lol
Old 11-11-2012, 7:54 PM

Never get the extended warranty, put money towards new computer fund.

I've had to use an extended warranty once, and I've filed one Small Claims suit. Yes, it was over the warranty when they told me it didn't cover the laptop screen. They even sent me a refurb laptop but it was still a bad deal over all.

Here is a tip....if your laptop craps out within about 5 years, go ahead and file Small Claims suit against the maker, and maybe the store. Good chance they will want to settle and send you a refurb or something, "just because", and since they got no idea why you are suing for out of warranty unit.

Since you will need to file Small Claims anyway to use extended warranty....
Old 11-11-2012, 8:19 PM

You're missing the quicklaunch drivers (FN keys) and the manufacturer specific touchpad driver. Post the make/model and I'll link you to both.

Or, if you happened to take it to the Fry's in Anaheim - I live 1 mile north of it. Come by and I'll straighten it out for you.
Old 11-11-2012, 8:50 PM

you didint clue in when the high school kid started asking you questions about what mouse you were using that caused the hard drive to crash?

WTB: 28"+ VersaMax or 28"+ 930 barrel
WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

Free rides with Lyft

Starline Brass for Sale
Old 11-11-2012, 9:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSideways View Post
You're missing the quicklaunch drivers (FN keys) and the manufacturer specific touchpad driver. Post the make/model and I'll link you to both.

Or, if you happened to take it to the Fry's in Anaheim - I live 1 mile north of it. Come by and I'll straighten it out for you.
Toshiba Protege R835-P56X windows 7
Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Does a bear crap in the woods?

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/
Old 11-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Veteran Member

Fry's? Does someone still buy something in those store? In this day and age of online retail etc..... I am long gone buying from them.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/LIR_123/GlockWise.png
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

I don't suppose you could find the touchpad driver for a Dell Inspiron 1520? I don't think I have the right driver for mine.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Veteran Member

Most likely, you're missing certain application that is specific to your Toshiba. Almost every brand has them, some to control the WiFi, display brightness etc.

Go to Toshiba's web site and ask for support there directly. Check also their download section but this time, look under applications and not drivers.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:35 AM

Fry's and service don't even go in the same sentence. However if your in Sacramento the store near I80 and Northgate has one competent person I can think of. You cant miss him hes really blond eyebrows and everything he lights the place up hes so white. Many years ago he gave me some good advice while I was building my rig, could easily tell he knew his stuff everyone else = morons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaded Claymore View Post
I don't suppose you could find the touchpad driver for a Dell Inspiron 1520? I don't think I have the right driver for mine.
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/.../inspiron-1520

Under inputs third one I believe is what your looking for. Google is your friend.
Old 11-12-2012, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoc View Post
Fry's and service don't even go in the same sentence. However if your in Sacramento the store near I80 and Northgate has one competent person I can think of. You cant miss him hes really blond eyebrows and everything he lights the place up hes so white. Many years ago he gave me some good advice while I was building my rig, could easily tell he knew his stuff everyone else = morons.
While I'm sure that there are people who work at Fry's who really ARE morons, I have a friend who worked at Fry's for a couple years, and no matter what your specialties are, they put you wherever, and occasionally rotate you. So you might not necessarily be a moron, just you're working in a department that you might not know anything about, or care to learn about. While they sell lots of good stuff, you really need to have done your research beforehand, because most likely the people working in the department won't be able to help you.

Everything I've seen about Fry's says that they don't trust their employees (seriously, the cashiers need supervisor passwords for everything), so it makes me what their staff turnover is.

I suppose on the other hand, their lack of caring makes for a great return policy. I've broken stuff and returned it to them, and they took it back no questions asked. For that same reason, I never touch anything that's open box

Last edited by CrippledPidgeon; 11-12-2012 at 3:21 AM..
Old 11-12-2012, 5:27 AM

i dated a girl in their loss prevention dept. and she told me some seriously crazy stories.

majority of employee's are between 17 and 23, some know what they are doing, most dont know or care.

frys still has some competitive prices and if you need something without waiting 2 or 3 days to have it shipped, its the place to go.

WTB: 28"+ VersaMax or 28"+ 930 barrel
WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

Free rides with Lyft

Starline Brass for Sale
Old 11-12-2012, 6:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Back up all your stuff on an external drive then take it back to frys and ask for a refund or store credit. If you have an extended warranty they will do it.

I'd never let them 'fix' anything, ever...
Old 11-12-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog5150 View Post
Toshiba Protege R835-P56X windows 7
Touchpad -
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...c00349800j.exe

Toshiba TVAP Package (FN Keys) -
http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/cont...c20098700a.exe
Old 11-12-2012, 11:25 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
Warranty or not, Fry's employees will never touch my gear.
They don't do warranty repairs themselves, they ship it back to the OEM.

The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)
Old 11-12-2012, 3:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDay View Post
They don't do warranty repairs themselves, they ship it back to the OEM.
No they worked on it. Replaced the hard drive and transferred a little bit of memory.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanoc View Post
However if your in Sacramento the store near I80 and Northgate has one competent person I can think of. You cant miss him hes really blond eyebrows and everything he lights the place up hes so white. Many years ago he gave me some good advice while I was building my rig, could easily tell he knew his stuff everyone else = morons.
I think that guy you speak of is an albino. dude is white like super white. freaked me out for a sec when I first met him. he is a nice and very knowledgeable guy. I pretty much only get my stuff from him so he can get the commission.

back to the problem
chances are you will need to get some driver updated and some programs associated with the touchpad to get full functionality out of it.
drivers will get it going but typically the laptop will run a program so you can use gesture movements on the touchpad to do things such as scrolling and clicking by touch. You could run microsoft windows update and select custom option to view optional updates and programs that can run on your setup. Im sure it just lacking the oem software that came with the laptop. they swapped the drive out and installed windows but they didnt get all the oem software for that particular laptop build. they should have at least installed all major updates and updated all drivers for you.

If you want you could install Teamviewer (free for personal use) and remote link to someone that knows what they are doing. pretty easy to do.

also did you get your old drive back? when parts are replaced always get the old stuff for proof the item was replaced and to avoid theft of the old item. it may be dead but im sure data could be recovered if someone wanted to get it.
Old 11-14-2012, 1:15 AM

Frys is only good for window shopping.
Old 11-14-2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamomark80 View Post
I think that guy you speak of is an albino. dude is white like super white. freaked me out for a sec when I first met him. he is a nice and very knowledgeable guy. I pretty much only get my stuff from him so he can get the commission.
Yep that's the guy. I always tell people to find him if there looking for something. He knows his stuff.
Old 11-15-2012, 4:35 PM

People complain about Fry's all the time, yet keep going back.....why? They have almost every gadget or appliance or component that runs on electricity and then some. You must learn your store and the locations of things you need. For instant gratification for electronics, Fry's is your store.

Asking someone is a 50/50 gamble that they might know where the item you are looking for is. Customer service is still the same at most of the stores I've visited since the very first one in Sunnyvale off Lawrence Expressway. That store had a circuit board motif.

OP, sorry you had such issues with their service dept. Go back and have them make things right for you.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:30 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I like Fry's and the massive inventory of stuff they have there. Occasional good deals too. However, the sloppy kids and weird old guys in white shirts and black ties are to be avoided at all costs.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 PM

well this is another lesson to be more self reliant.
If you can fix it yourself, if you cant, learn how to. just like how I taught my sisters to change a car tire and do oil changes. hell I once caught my oldest sister doing a tuneup using a chilton manual.
Old 11-18-2012, 6:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I agree, have had issues with their CS.
Old 11-18-2012, 7:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Haven't bought from them for years - terrible CS. Sounds like you need drivers, also sounds like your data is lost - I'd bet a backup drive and a cloud drive to back up to for next time.
Old 11-19-2012, 5:25 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Finally got around to getting these installed. Thanks! I tried finding them myself before you posted the links but nothing worked. Your links seemed to do that trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel View Post
People complain about Fry's all the time, yet keep going back.....why? They have almost every gadget or appliance or component that runs on electricity and then some. You must learn your store and the locations of things you need. For instant gratification for electronics, Fry's is your store.

Asking someone is a 50/50 gamble that they might know where the item you are looking for is. Customer service is still the same at most of the stores I've visited since the very first one in Sunnyvale off Lawrence Expressway. That store had a circuit board motif.

OP, sorry you had such issues with their service dept. Go back and have them make things right for you.
I rarely go to frys. I needed a new computer because mine went out. Bought an asis bamboo ed from Best Buy and it fried after 2 days. The next asis bamboo they replaced would get blue screens or shut itself off randomly so I demanded my money back and since I was living in SD at the time, went to Frys. That was the only expensive thing I bought from them before. So it's not that I keep going back to bad customer service. This is my first, and last time I will have experienced the bad customer service.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

You live on Miraloma Lake?
Old 01-20-2013, 8:05 PM
Senior Mumbler
CGN Contributor

Mac next time?
Old 01-20-2013, 8:09 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

+1 to just about every answer given. LoL. I can;t say anything new so I will just strengthen everyone else... :O
Old 02-01-2013, 11:56 AM

Fry's customer service is great. I asked them all sort of questions from where to find a USB drive, which one is on sale, and where the restrooms are. If the chick is hot, I'll ask her more about Fry's extended warranty and stuff.. I just declide it when checking out at cashier... But then for technical stuff, I would just google, or ask my dog before engage in a conversation with a frys associate.