Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Southern California Chapters > San Diego Chapter
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 1:20 AM

Default San Diego county ammo storage laws

Hey guys, I was recently talking with a friend and he was shocked to find out I had over 5000 rounds of ammunition. I in turn was shocked to find out only has a relatively small amount of ammunition. Anyway, he was under the impression that it's illegal to store more then 1000 or so rounds in the County of San Diego.

My understanding is that there is no state law regarding ammunition storage outside of the 20 pound limit on smokeless powder and 1 pound of black powder but county law's I cant seem to find anything on. I am just not sure I cant find anything because there is nothing to find or because my searching skills fail so does anyone happen to have any solid info on this? Thanks!
Old 12-14-2013, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytan View Post
Hey guys, I was recently talking with a friend and he was shocked to find out I had over 5000 rounds of ammunition. I in turn was shocked to find out only has a relatively small amount of ammunition. Anyway, he was under the impression that it's illegal to store more then 1000 or so rounds in the County of San Diego.

My understanding is that there is no state law regarding ammunition storage outside of the 20 pound limit on smokeless powder and 1 pound of black powder but county law's I cant seem to find anything on. I am just not sure I cant find anything because there is nothing to find or because my searching skills fail so does anyone happen to have any solid info on this? Thanks!
There is no such law.
Old 12-14-2013, 6:03 AM

I recently attended the Gun Laws for Gun Owners class where an attendee asked that question of the attorney and other experts teaching the class. Their response was; NO, there is no law (other than the powder regulations) stating limitations on the amount of ammunition you can store in your home/garage.

Unfortunately, in today's world, there is the Public Relations aspect of stored ammo.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
Old 12-14-2013, 6:18 AM
Professional Beer Drinker
CGN Contributor

I guess I can understand, to a degree, the powder limit. It would be a real bad day if someone with 100lbs+ of powder had a house fire...
Old 12-14-2013, 7:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raytan View Post
Hey guys, I was recently talking with a friend and he was shocked to find out I had over 5000 rounds of ammunition.
If it was .22 that's called "one case". Sounds much more reasonable that way, doesn't it? For centerfire that's "five cases".
Old 12-16-2013, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pterrell View Post
I guess I can understand, to a degree, the powder limit. It would be a real bad day if someone with 100lbs+ of powder had a house fire...
I guess but you can have a 100+ lbs of propane, or gasoline. 20 lbs isn't really much, say you load with 5 different powders I would want to own an 8lbs jug of each.
Old 12-16-2013, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
I guess but you can have a 100+ lbs of propane, or gasoline. 20 lbs isn't really much, say you load with 5 different powders I would want to own an 8lbs jug of each.
Fire code states no more than 15 gallons, unless you have it stored in an approved flammable liquid cabinet. And yes that is for private homes also. Can then enforce it, NO. Can you homeowners insurance give you hell..YES

Also more than i think its 100 gallons of propane need to have an 25 foot offset from the property. I am not sure on the amount, but its 25 feet.
Old 12-16-2013, 6:56 PM

The real problem here, is that you only have around 5000 rounds stored at your house. Better fix that!
Old 12-16-2013, 7:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongage View Post
Fire code states no more than 15 gallons, unless you have it stored in an approved flammable liquid cabinet. And yes that is for private homes also. Can then enforce it, NO. Can you homeowners insurance give you hell..YES

Also more than i think its 100 gallons of propane need to have an 25 foot offset from the property. I am not sure on the amount, but its 25 feet.
Does that include the garage or the house? When I moved in we had our 100 gallon propane tank moved out because it was right next to the living room. Not sure how far we moved it from the garage though, probably close to 25 feet but I didn't know the number. Then again it's a 100 lb tank so I guess it doesn't matter.

And I'm sure no one on this forum would have more than 20lbs of powder at a time!