Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2012, 10:59 PM
peopleofthesun's Avatar
peopleofthesun peopleofthesun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fresno, Ca
Posts: 807
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default Update to Lee Pro 1000 for $100

This is an update to my previous post on an awesome deal I got from a Calgunner.

Well I'm almost down with my first pound bottle of powder and and very happy with my purchase. It was worked very well for for what I spent on it. Best $100 I've ever spent. I would buy a new one if I had the need for one. I cleaned it per Cowboy T videos and installed a new ratchet gear in it. Thank you cowboy T for very informative videos. Only problems I've had with my reloads was two failure to go into battery due to primers not being seated completely. I have learned the feel of a primer seating completely and all is good now. Time to buy more powder.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-27-2012, 8:47 PM
echang72's Avatar
echang72 echang72 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: San Gabriel, CA
Posts: 290
iTrader: 23 / 100%
Default

i remember you getting this awesome deal! im still getting used to reloading.. i just started not too long ago.. i just reloaded 100 rounds of .45... so far so good..now i just need to go test the loads out -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleofthesun View Post
This is an update to my previous post on an awesome deal I got from a Calgunner.

Well I'm almost down with my first pound bottle of powder and and very happy with my purchase. It was worked very well for for what I spent on it. Best $100 I've ever spent. I would buy a new one if I had the need for one. I cleaned it per Cowboy T videos and installed a new ratchet gear in it. Thank you cowboy T for very informative videos. Only problems I've had with my reloads was two failure to go into battery due to primers not being seated completely. I have learned the feel of a primer seating completely and all is good now. Time to buy more powder.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-28-2012, 8:19 AM
AlliedArmory's Avatar
AlliedArmory AlliedArmory is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SGV, CA
Posts: 10,035
iTrader: 308 / 100%
Default

Awesome! Reloading is a awesome hobby in the shooting world.

Quick tip on checking primers. Put the made rounds primer side up in a ammo box/tray and feel across the primers to make sure they are all set correctly.
__________________
http://www.alliedarmory.com/
California Business - No Credit Card Fees - $5.95 Flat Rate Shipping on Any Order

Deal of the Week - Updated Every Monday


http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-28-2012, 8:37 AM
CalTeacher CalTeacher is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 787
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

I bought my two Lee Pro 1000's for less than $100 bucks each, used. They have been pretty rock solid for tens of thousands of rounds. As long as you know the feel of the press, they will operate trouble free. A little trick I found that helps with the priming system is to disable the case sensor so the primers feed a little more freely onto the priming ram. The downside is that if there is no case present, you have to pluck the primer from the ram and set it to the side, but once I started doing this I have very rarely had any problems with primers going in sideways, etc.

Also, keep that loaded round chute polished with some steel wool and your finished rounds will slide out completely more frequently.

Glad to hear other people having success with this press. It seems they do get a lot of negative reviews for things that can easily be fixed.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-28-2012, 8:53 PM
peopleofthesun's Avatar
peopleofthesun peopleofthesun is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fresno, Ca
Posts: 807
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by echang72 View Post
i remember you getting this awesome deal! im still getting used to reloading.. i just started not too long ago.. i just reloaded 100 rounds of .45... so far so good..now i just need to go test the loads out -.-
I like my current loads a lot. Will probably stick to them for awhile. Soft shooting and accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliedArmory View Post
Awesome! Reloading is a awesome hobby in the shooting world.

Quick tip on checking primers. Put the made rounds primer side up in a ammo box/tray and feel across the primers to make sure they are all set correctly.
It is an awesome hobby. I get lost in it for awhile. Good feeling not thinking of the daily stress. Thanks for the tip! I did that with the ones I had left to shoot and found a couple bad ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTeacher View Post
I bought my two Lee Pro 1000's for less than $100 bucks each, used. They have been pretty rock solid for tens of thousands of rounds. As long as you know the feel of the press, they will operate trouble free. A little trick I found that helps with the priming system is to disable the case sensor so the primers feed a little more freely onto the priming ram. The downside is that if there is no case present, you have to pluck the primer from the ram and set it to the side, but once I started doing this I have very rarely had any problems with primers going in sideways, etc.

Also, keep that loaded round chute polished with some steel wool and your finished rounds will slide out completely more frequently.

Glad to hear other people having success with this press. It seems they do get a lot of negative reviews for things that can easily be fixed.
I really love the machine. It fits my needs perfectly right now. I'll probably be investing in another machine or at least shell plate carriers for other calibers. I might just try the primer trick. I did polish the loaded round chute and it helped a lot.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-29-2012, 5:26 PM
Cowboy T's Avatar
Cowboy T Cowboy T is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PAULestine, USA
Posts: 3,712
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Glad it's working out well! My .38/357 Pro 1000 is very close to the 40,000 round mark. It's running steadily and solidly. The .44/.45LC press is coming up quickly on 10,000.

One thing I have found recently that helps a bit with the big-bore cases like .44 Magnum and .45 Long Colt, due to the larger surface area of those cases. The sizing die is carbide, so no case lube is necessary. However, a quick shot of some Hornady's One Shot lube makes those big-bore cases go in extra-smoothly. I'm talking silky-smooth. Doesn't take much at all, just a quick spritz. Probably makes things a little easier on the brass case itself, too.
__________________
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
F***ing with people's heads, one gun show at a time. Hallelujah!
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com (reloading info w/ videos)
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-29-2012, 6:45 PM
stand125 stand125 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,686
iTrader: 64 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
Glad it's working out well! My .38/357 Pro 1000 is very close to the 40,000 round mark. It's running steadily and solidly. The .44/.45LC press is coming up quickly on 10,000.

One thing I have found recently that helps a bit with the big-bore cases like .44 Magnum and .45 Long Colt, due to the larger surface area of those cases. The sizing die is carbide, so no case lube is necessary. However, a quick shot of some Hornady's One Shot lube makes those big-bore cases go in extra-smoothly. I'm talking silky-smooth. Doesn't take much at all, just a quick spritz. Probably makes things a little easier on the brass case itself, too.
I was loading 40 cal on my loadmaster and realized that I had not used any lube like I usually do. I put a little lube on the cases and it does make a difference. I know that carbide dies negate lubing but it makes such a difference and when you are loading hundreds of rounds at a time it does make it more enjoyable.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:44 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.