Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 11-13-2012, 9:22 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default What the heck is going on with SP primer availability?

I've been using CCI primers for quite a while and worked up all of my pistol loads with CCI so I would always be able to replicate it. I'm out of SP primers and I've been looking everywhere for them, they are not available at any of the places I am looking. So today I started decided I will have to switch to Win of Federal, and I looked at Powder Valley... they are out of ALL small pistol primers, with the exception of Tula, which is not what I want to buy.

Anybody want to share another source or recommend another brand that will work reliably? I've seen people mention Wolf primers, but I've never used them and I don't see them listed at PV.
Old 11-13-2012, 9:36 AM
Veteran Member

Go ahead and use the Tula primers. I've used plenty of them in both .38 Spl and .357 Magnum. They've gone bang without fail for me, and they're remarkably affordable. Like your CCI's, they tend to have a slightly thicker primer cup on average, and I find them generally to be very similar in behaviour to the CCI's.

The Wolf primers are the same as the Tula primers. Same factory and assembly line in Murom, Russia, just different branding.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 11-13-2012, 9:50 AM

I have used lots of Wolf SPP and they work great. I have never had one that didn't go bang. Widener's or Grafs might have some also.
Old 11-13-2012, 9:50 AM
Veteran Member

Wolf/Tula are slightly harder than CCI and ever so slightly hotter IME.
If you're already at top end with the CCI you may want to work the load up again.

Personally I use them interchangeably, but I'm no where close to max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 AM

I use Winchester and CCI SPP interchangeably, I have also heard that the Remington 5 1/2 can also be used interchangeably. I also do not load MAX loads, I load upper middle of the road loads so changing primers isn't going to push me over the top.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Calguns Addict

How many are you looking for? I have a large supply of WSP, I make it over to Richmond R&G from time to time, I could throw a box/sleeve in the truck when I am coming over.

If that makes sense, shoot me a PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
If you're already at top end with the CCI you may want to work the load up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmagee67 View Post
I use Winchester and CCI SPP interchangeably, I have also heard that the Remington 5 1/2 can also be used interchangeably. I also do not load MAX loads, I load upper middle of the road loads so changing primers isn't going to push me over the top.
I'm not shooting max loads (with the exception of one 357MAG load I use with my GP100 where I have to count my fingers after each shot) so I'm not worried about going too hot... I guess I just have some mild ADD issue where I like to keep the components the same so I can replicate my results. I'm probably over-analyzing it.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Steele View Post
How many are you looking for? I have a large supply of WSP, I make it over to Richmond R&G from time to time, I could throw a box/sleeve in the truck when I am coming over.

If that makes sense, shoot me a PM.
Bill, I truly appreciate the offer. I do have a secret stash of Winchester SP and I finally broke down and used 500 of those last weekend so I have another 1,500 left. I'm looking at buying probably 2 cases of 5,000 each so that I will have enough to last a while and hopefully the shortage will have ended by then.

BTW I noticed Grafs has Federal Match SP primers in stock. I wonder if they are worth trying. I see they are priced at $149 for 5,000 which is only $20 higher than what I have been seeing CCI listed.
Old 11-13-2012, 1:36 PM
Veteran Member

Powder Valley has CCI back in stock now, fyi. $26 per k.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 11-13-2012, 2:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Powder Valley has CCI back in stock now, fyi. $26 per k.
All this for nothing!! I called them 2 hours ago and they didn't have any, didn't know when they would get any, etc etc. Just called a few minutes ago and they received a shipment today. Thanks Javi, I probably wouldn't have looked again for a week

I got a bunch ordered!
Old 11-13-2012, 2:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian View Post
All this for nothing!! I called them 2 hours ago and they didn't have any, didn't know when they would get any, etc etc. Just called a few minutes ago and they received a shipment today. Thanks Javi, I probably wouldn't have looked again for a week

I got a bunch ordered!
I checked Facebook after work and P.V. mentioned it This was an hour ago now. They said they got in Federal yesterday but seems to be gone already.
R.I.P. Thomas C.
Old 11-13-2012, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I checked Facebook after work and P.V. mentioned it This was an hour ago now. They said they got in Federal yesterday but seems to be gone already.

"Originally Posted by Flyin Brian

I got a bunch ordered!"

He wasn't kidding!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 3:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...BTW I noticed Grafs has Federal Match SP primers in stock. I wonder if they are worth trying. I see they are priced at $149 for 5,000 which is only $20 higher than what I have been seeing CCI listed.
I tried Fed Match in all my pistol reloads and frankly couldn't tell the difference. I just started using them in my rifle loads and like them a lot, definitely saw an improvement in SD's over WLR.
Old 11-13-2012, 6:57 PM

I first used the federal gold match LPP because that is all I could get my hands on at the time. I have used around 5000 and haven't had any issues.

I also have used the gold match SPP. I was reloading for an old 38spcl revo that was having light strike issues with CCI SPP. The softer cup of the gold match reduced the light strikes from maybe 1 in 10 to 1 in 50.

I still use CCI for most my loads but I do use the gold match for my "special loads" including defense loads
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Thanks for the help and tips, guys. I ordered up my usual CCI SP and LP primers, thanks to Javi for giving me the heads up.

Bill, I decided to go a little further now and ordered up 2 boxes of the CCI Benchrest LR primers. I have been doing a lot of load testing with one of my Finnish Mosin Nagants using brand new Lapua brass and Lapua Scenar 155gr Silver Jacket bullets (moly coated). I'm still experimenting with it, but so far things have been working out pretty well. I hope these BR primers continue to make things more consistent and not work against me
Old 11-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Thanks for the help and tips, guys. I ordered up my usual CCI SP and LP primers, thanks to Javi for giving me the heads up.

Bill, I decided to go a little further now and ordered up 2 boxes of the CCI Benchrest LR primers. I have been doing a lot of load testing with one of my Finnish Mosin Nagants using brand new Lapua brass and Lapua Scenar 155gr Silver Jacket bullets (moly coated). I'm still experimenting with it, but so far things have been working out pretty well. I hope these BR primers continue to make things more consistent and not work against me
I think you are going to really like those BR primers. Guys I know that use them get really good SD's. The only complaint I have heard is they are a little cooler than others, so the powder selection becomes more important, heresay though YMMV. I am going to try some after I use up these Fed Match I bought.

Last edited by Bill Steele; 11-14-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Old 11-14-2012, 5:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Ya Chowderhead, USI has them for $24, in stock. Remington & Winchester. The Rem's are a bit more.

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 11-14-2012, 6:50 PM

USI???
Old 11-14-2012, 7:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post

Slightly harder is an understatement!

The cups are so hard they remind me of ar500 steel.
Old 11-14-2012, 8:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Im looking for CCI, inspector Clouseau.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I collect Military Arms and enjoy shooting in local matches. I also collect older Lever Actions, especially those chambered in odd/old cartridges. If you have a nice old Winchester or Marlin in 25-20, 32-40, 38-55, 40-60, 45-70, etc etc, please PM me and we can work out a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExpertdouche
I wasn't kidding when I said this would all be over by Xmas... Stay tuned for good news next week.
Old 11-15-2012, 6:21 AM
Veteran Member

We know. For high-precision rifle loads, or for max loads regardless of cartridge, I'd say yep, stick with that specific brand/model of primer, given the same powder & bullet. However, since that doesn't seem to describe your situation--you're not shooting high-precision rifle, nor are you running max handgun loads--pretty much any primer will work very well. I've tried six different brands of primers in my handgun loads--CCI, Federal, Magtech, Remington, Winchester, and Wolf/Tula--and I cannot perceive any difference. POI remains the same.

Just suggesting that until the CCI's return in quantity, you might allow for some flexibility. What matters most is that you get primers and can actually reload at all, and we're doing what we can to help you accomplish that.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:44 AM

There is a gun show in costa Mesa thanksgiving weekend. Hopefully they have SPP my stock is running low!
Old 11-18-2012, 3:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv1911's View Post
USI???
United Sportsmen Inc, in Concord. Members get components for 5% overcost.

Quote:
Im looking for CCI, inspector Clouseau.
Primer snob!

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39