Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Commercial Sales
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Commercial Sales For the Commercial sales of Firearms and Accessories. Read the rules before posting.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 PM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

OK..don't buy them...wait for tactical machining to catch up....they say they'll have more in September.

All issues can be fixed in less than 10 minutes on a mill. If you don't have a mill why are you buying 80% lowers?

I finished two rohg's and besides some small cuts in the mag release area there were no other issues.
Old 02-18-2013, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
I finished two rohg's and besides some small cuts in the mag release area there were no other issues.
There are also issues with the rear take down pen and the de-tent hole not being drilled correctly.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM

I purchased a 80% rohg lower back in December. And have found everything to work as expected except the mag catch cut was slightly shallow. I called them and said I would be in LA last weekend. They said come on down we will fix it. Well long sorry short I showed up abour 30min after close. they stayed and waited for me to come! corrected the mag catch issue. We also verified that the bolt catch was cut correctly. That's great customer service! The lowers are of average quality. Not the best and not the worst. Again if you buy an 80% you have to expect some finish work.

Last edited by Awdvette; 02-18-2013 at 10:35 AM..
Old 02-18-2013, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awdvette View Post
Again if you buy an 80% you have to expect some finish work.
Yes on stuff that hasn't been drilled yet. Else it was advertised as milspec which clearly by the various issues it was not.

The worst part is Rohg doesn't care...they want your money but I don't see them on here supporting the people who need examples on what is wrong and how it can be fixed.

Plain and simple everyone who purchases these botched lowers got....Rohg'd
Old 02-18-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcooper9 View Post
There are also issues with the rear take down pen and the de-tent hole not being drilled correctly.
What is this new issue and how can it be corrected?
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming — yet refusing to disclose — some “master plan” is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda
Old 02-19-2013, 10:03 PM

Joe from Rohg called me about my lowers and 1) apologized, and 2) asked me what he could do to correct the issue for me. I'm thoroughly happy with their service despite having to put a little extra work into the lowers.

I bought an upper from him for my pistol build and he shipped it out immediately. Ran great this weekend on my Rohg lower. Despite the people *****ing, I'd buy from him again.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 PM

I just thank god I had the fore site to cancel my order with them right before they shipped, so I don't have to deal with any of this!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM

Another one finished and functional!

Bought three lowers and they were ever so slightly off. Typical...mag catch depth and bow in the magwell making some mags tight. Easy fixes both...if you have access to a mill. Can be remedied by hand, but takes much longer and might not be as clean a fix. Happy with the outcome.

Here's a link to my pistol build so far. Updating it as it progresses.

Robert
Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 PM

Does anybody know their phone # and address? I live in San Diego and have already machined mine. I'm not looking to necessarily swap out my lower, rather have it "fixed." I don't have a mill or drill press or even a dremel, and don't want to chalk this up as a total loss.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:09 AM

Everyone on CG is a bunch of babies.
Old 02-28-2013, 6:09 AM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculo View Post
What is this new issue and how can it be corrected?
I use KNS takedown and pivot-pins.. quick release type. I love my lowers... yes I had to machine the mag catch but I was learning the entire time I was working on it. I'd do it all over again no problem. I paid about 130 a piece for them at the time and it was worth it.. lowers are going for much more now so I am good with it.
Old 03-06-2013, 6:22 PM

pics of a rohg build

anodize and it's good to go

Last edited by ImYourSalt; 03-11-2013 at 9:37 PM..
Old 03-17-2013, 8:43 AM

Anyone have any issues with the grip being skewed to the left? Only reason i noticed is with a Magpul MOE grip it is flush on the left side (where the backstrap hooks up towards the buffer area) and not even close on the right. When you take off the grip and look at that piece that they machined it is definitely not square at all. Not talking a couple of thousandths here.
Old 03-17-2013, 9:26 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I had a few standard rohg issues. Mag catch shallow and magwell was tight. But its coming along...
Old 03-17-2013, 9:51 AM

My grip is off center
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM

Mine is done! Got the upper yesterday!

Robert

Old 03-17-2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhatchu View Post
My grip is off center

Did you notice before I mentioned or after? Is it skewed to the left same as mine?

Anyone else?????
Old 03-17-2013, 7:38 PM

Seems they should have a QC and sale some as seconds. I got 3 lowers from them. Only one was ok.
Old 03-19-2013, 6:25 PM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPro View Post
Everyone on CG is a bunch of babies.
Including you? Ding ding ding you win useless post of the month...
Old 03-19-2013, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
Including you? Ding ding ding you win useless post of the month...
Old 03-21-2013, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khyber View Post
Mine was perfect withe Magpul Moe grip. Did you notice this after you screwed it in? If so it just needs to be realigned. Keep us updated.
Mine is misaligned before the screw. You can actually see it when you flip the lower upside down but I don't really mind.
Old 03-21-2013, 9:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend777str View Post
Did you notice before I mentioned or after? Is it skewed to the left same as mine?

Anyone else?????
I noticed before you mentioned it but I'm guessing it's purely cosmetic. I'm not too happy about it but it's not such a huge issue.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 AM

My build issues summary:

I've had my lower completed for a few weeks now and am still awaiting the upper to finish the gun. The completed lower is all good but I had a few issues to work through. Here's my list:

-Mag catch slot: The well was too shallow toward the rear. Upon inspection with a magnifying glass and digital calipers, I was able to discern that the depth across the well was inconsistent. It looks like either the mill lifted a little early when it got to the back or the jig was a little off and the lower moved. The cutting toward the back of the mag catch slot was also a bit rough indicating a dull cutter being used. I fixed this with a router bit and drill press (wouldn't recommend this approach) which wasn't pretty but got the job done.

-Safety selector detent hole not drilled properly: This one didn't rear it's head until I assembled the grip and found the safety selector still spinning freely. It seems that the detent hole was not drilled properly. Some quick research told me that this hold is actually two diameters - it steps from 1/8" to 9/64". I chased the 1/8" section first, which actually took a little material off right at the top of the hole (left over pilot hole perhaps?) but it still didn't work. I had to carefully drill a little of the 9/64" to get the detent to fit properly.

-Top of trigger guard (where the trigger slot is) was actually cut crooked. The was a very visible bevel to the cut that shouldn't be there and was actually quite annoying to look at. Some work with a file and then sandpaper squared it back up.

-Magazine well rounded (too tight) - This isn't a big deal - some quick work with a flat file and sand paper was all that was necessary.

-Fit and finish on these things is REALLY rough. I did quite a lot of sanding around the trigger guard and both the back and rear to remove the forging seams. Compared to other 80%'s that are on the market, you really have to do a lot of finish work to make them look nice.

Now that it's all done, I have a nice looking and full functioning lower.
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming — yet refusing to disclose — some “master plan” is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda
Old 03-28-2013, 11:15 PM

has all the issues been resolved?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 AM

I've read the numerous comments about Rohg Arms on the forum. I took a chance and purchased one of their 16" SS spiral fluted barrels. After I ordered online, it arrived in 3 days.

My only gripe is that when you call them, it sound as if this may be a home-based operation. Take it for what it's worth, but I wanted to share my experience. The overall purchase went just fine.
Old 05-18-2013, 7:10 PM

Default Follow-up on Rohg Arms purchase...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajchin331 View Post
I've read the numerous comments about Rohg Arms on the forum. I took a chance and purchased one of their 16" SS spiral fluted barrels. After I ordered online, it arrived in 3 days.

My only gripe is that when you call them, it sound as if this may be a home-based operation. Take it for what it's worth, but I wanted to share my experience. The overall purchase went just fine.
So the barrel I purchased has a minimum diameter of 0.08", so it's going to have to be milled down (which takes out most of the fluting). I left them a message on their website and we'll see if they stand behind their products. I'll post another follow-up on how that goes.
Old 05-18-2013, 7:30 PM

I don't know if this is the beer talking or not....but what do you mean by min. diameter?
Old 05-18-2013, 7:58 PM

Quote:
So the barrel I purchased has a minimum diameter of 0.08", so it's going to have to be milled down (which takes out most of the fluting). I left them a message on their website and we'll see if they stand behind their products. I'll post another follow-up on how that goes.
^^And .080" (eighty thousanths)? I thought he was talking about the gas port at first?

Robert
Old 05-18-2013, 8:05 PM
CGN Contributor

If I had to guess, I'd assume that he meant that the barrel was 0.800" in diameter and that he had a .750" gas block that he was trying to install. if he turned the barrel down to .750", he'd end up removing most of the fluting.

but that is just my guess.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-18-2013, 8:31 PM

Yeah that decimal point threw me off too. If he would of mentioned gas block, then I would have got it.
Old 05-19-2013, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
If I had to guess, I'd assume that he meant that the barrel was 0.800" in diameter and that he had a .750" gas block that he was trying to install. if he turned the barrel down to .750", he'd end up removing most of the fluting.

but that is just my guess.
You are correct...thanks for clarifying.
Old 05-19-2013, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigend777str View Post
Yeah that decimal point threw me off too. If he would of mentioned gas block, then I would have got it.
The barrel from the gas block to the threads of the muzzle measure 0.08" in diameter. So 0.05" has to be milled off in a lathe from the gas block portion of the barrel all the way to the muzzle.

I already sent Rohg Arms a message, and will give them every opportunity to remedy this situation. We'll wait and see.
Old 05-19-2013, 5:51 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
The barrel from the gas block to the threads of the muzzle measure 0.08" 0.80" in diameter. So 0.05" has to be milled turnedoff in a lathe from the gas block portion of the barrel all the way to the muzzle.
fixed it for you.

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 05-21-2013, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
fixed it for you.
Thanks...That's why I have a professional gunsmith work on my stuff and don't throw it together myself.

Follow-up...problem solved...Greg @ Rohg called me back right away. Maybe trying to put the gas block on first to confirm the fit would've saved me some hassle. So far, I have no complaints about them and my overall experience has been good.
Old 06-26-2013, 9:10 PM

I just thought I would update this thread as I have just finished my first ar pistol build. I bought two rohg 80 percent lowers back in December. Took them to another vendor to be completed. When they were finished, a LPK could not be installed. Rohg volunteered to use is machines to redo the cuts to fix the issue. After that, I was able to finish the build. Then I put on the Rohg pistol upper and took it to LAX to test fire. On the second round, I had a problem with my extractor. I took it in today, and they fixed it in five minutes.

So my experience has been that they stand behind their products and are quick to fix any issues that crop up. I am glad I got my two 80 percents from them, I am glad I finished my build there, and now that my upper is fixed, I really look forward to taking it to the range and giving it a bigger shakedown.

All and all, I am glad I have my complete build, and will post back later as to how it runs.

I would recommend them, and if you are looking to complete your 80 percent, they can help you out quickly and professionally.
Old 06-26-2013, 9:21 PM

Glad to hear...but who can help those with Rohg paperweights in the NorCal/bay area?
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 PM

the rohg 80 percenters are standard milspec and will fit a standard jig. a cnc shop with the knowledge should be able to help you out if they have a milspec jig or you can just do it yourself.
Old 06-30-2013, 4:44 PM

I've discovered the hard way over the last few months that the problem of trying to fit together "non-mil-spec" parts is all over this industry, certainly not a prob that Rohg was alone in having. Mixing manufacturers is complicated and problematic. Half the problems that I blamed on Rohg at first were actually caused by OTHER manufacturers' "non-mil-spec" parts and dimensions.
After a whole lot of measuring I've come to the conclusion that the magwell issue is a pmag issue. If you measure the dimensions of a pmag vs. a GI mag the differences are HUGE... the pmag is WAY bigger... so a magwell that's "just right" on a pmag is gonna be extraordinarily loose on a GI mag.
Rohg had lots of 80% probs early on but remember when NOONE else had 80's in stock they were pumping them out like CRAZY. That in itself was a hell of a service to this community even though it didn't go as smoothly as anyone would have hoped. Anyone remember that now, or grateful for that? Noone knew what was going to happen or when and they were the only ones who were actually shipping product. I remember at least...
I myself got pretty burned by their "growing pains" myself but I admire what they've built down there and they've made right what was wrong. I fully expect they will continue to be and become a positive and productive part of our firearms community.
If I had any money left I'd have no reservations about using them again.

Last edited by molasses2k; 06-30-2013 at 4:56 PM..
Old 06-30-2013, 5:04 PM

IMHO, its not a PMag/USGI issue. Why? The same PMags work fine in all my other lowers.

On my lowers, I measured a pronounced inward "bow" in the walls of the magwell making the mags not drop freely. I believe the walls flexed outwards (unsupported or too much material taken in one shot) when the broach was pushed through. That said, it took all of 5 minutes with a long end mill to solve.

I had no problems making the lower(s) I bought functional. Did they need more than a 20 minute pass in a CNC? Yes. But if you are capable of machining one up, its not an impossible task.

Here are pics of the pattern when the bow was machined out. The shine is where the material was removed. The black is original/untouched forging. IIRC, it was a matter of .005/.010 per side removed.

Robert

Last edited by tanakasan; 06-30-2013 at 5:41 PM..
Old 07-16-2013, 10:49 PM

Hey Tanaka that's true and probably a very accurate analysis of what happened. I have a few that are very tight on pmag 20's and thanks for the pics as I think I'll get in there and see for myself.
Big ups from me and Rohggies y'all should check this issue out on your in-stock stuff

C-ya in Ont I assume