Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > MARKETPLACE > Commercial Sales
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Commercial Sales For the Commercial sales of Firearms and Accessories. Read the rules before posting.

Old 02-02-2013, 5:17 AM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanttobuildak View Post
I dont know if anyone else had this problem or mentioned it but, with an anodized I had some trouble getting a MOE grip on.
Chances a magpul grip mold is bad? vs Another thing to check for on rohgs?

MOE grips are a pain to install, they are stiff going in. Grab a set of calipers and measure the width of the grip lug against the spec.

That said, someone mentioned that their buffer tube threads were off center. I checked and all of mine are as well.

To date I've spent hundreds on the paperweights and machining.

Two of mine are out getting engraved which was another $300.

If it will not function safely due to the buffer being off center then we truly do have a paperweight.

The rifle would be non-functional.... If this is the case we will have a huge problem on our hands.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:41 PM

Called them a couple days ago, got someone, asked about my mag catch being off, they said email in which I did, got a response a few hours later asking me to call Monday and they'd send me "a part to fix the issue"

Anyone get one of these "parts" and how do they "fix the issue"?
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoulant View Post
Called them a couple days ago, got someone, asked about my mag catch being off, they said email in which I did, got a response a few hours later asking me to call Monday and they'd send me "a part to fix the issue"

Anyone get one of these "parts" and how do they "fix the issue"?
I stated the "other" fix in this thread... a mag release that's been milled down. It's the only possibility...
Old 02-03-2013, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
I stated the "other" fix in this thread... a mag release that's been milled down. It's the only possibility...
That's what I figured, not sure what the "part to fix" would be. other than a modified mag catch.

if I mill down i'll only have ~.019-.025 (at best) between the mag slot and the release button hole where the spring sits.

and unfortunately the smallest end mill we have at work is 7/8"

Last edited by DBoulant; 02-04-2013 at 12:16 AM..
Old 02-04-2013, 4:31 AM

are they shipping lowers? last i checked they were still out...
Old 02-04-2013, 9:16 AM

Has anyone been able to get ahold of them recently? Left email and voicemail about my out of spec Rohg 80%s but no response yet.
Old 02-04-2013, 9:35 AM

Forget voice mail, just keep calling back till they pick up.
Old 02-04-2013, 1:01 PM

Dont buy these...mine is WAY outta spec, mag catch wont even come close to fitting...Just wait a few months for a quality 80% from another manufacturer..
Old 02-04-2013, 2:55 PM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

UPDATE on the off center buffer tube threads.. they are CENTERED just fine. The cut of the threads gives the illusion that they are not centered. See my thread here with photos:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9&postcount=24
Old 02-05-2013, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
UPDATE on the off center buffer tube threads.. they are CENTERED just fine. The cut of the threads gives the illusion that they are not centered. See my thread here with photos:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9&postcount=24
same with mine, sorta, the centering is a few mil off but nothing to keep it from being a working firearm.
Old 02-05-2013, 6:46 AM
Oy vey
CGN Contributor

I think I'm going to post a thread in the Gunsmith section that will collate all I've done. Now I've got crap scattered to the four winds and it seems I'm documenting my build more closely than most. I'm fielding a few phone calls too so I'll post Q&A stuff.
Old 02-05-2013, 3:17 PM

So has anyone received any from the latest batch(Feb 1 orders) anf if so how are they? Same issues or did they correct them? I still haven't received mine yet. Waiting to see....
Old 02-05-2013, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman01 View Post
So has anyone received any from the latest batch(Feb 1 orders) anf if so how are they? Same issues or did they correct them? I still haven't received mine yet. Waiting to see....
I also want to know.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Dazed & Confused
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman01 View Post
I picked some up. Dimensionally they are good to go.

Milled one last night and installed a LPK. Everything checked out fine.

Even with the prior issues (inset cut on mag release too small) the units would only take someone an extra 15 minutes to complete...but rohg fixed anyone's issue who asked for a repair.

Last edited by bubbapug1; 02-06-2013 at 4:30 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 4:24 PM

Default Sorry to be lazy

I apologize for being a bit lazy, but I just got an email stating my 80% lower ordered Feb 1 shipped today. I have a digital caliper, and I will have a lower in a day or two, but I have no idea what or where I should be checking to see if mine is in spec or not.

I realize I should probably be able to figure that out from the previous posts, but I've have NO prior experience with the AR or its parts, so I have a bit of trouble following the locations being discussed.

I would really appreciate it if anyone knows a simple list of measurements I should check and can provide a relatively basic explanation of how to find those locations are on the lower?
Old 02-06-2013, 7:23 PM

I bought one on the first. I think they said it may take 7 business days to ship. So it may not be in the mail until next week.

I'll try to update once I finish machining it.

EDIT: Shipping notice received today.

EDIT: Lower received today (2-9-13). Still waiting on an LPK, but the mag well does seem a bit snug. It doesn't want to drop-free, like it does from my M&P lower.

Last edited by ImYourSalt; 02-09-2013 at 6:00 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 8:16 PM

Got my "parts to fix" the lowers, ground down mag catches. so I milled my lowers down closer to mill spec, punched through at .168 into the button hole/spring pocket on one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhall View Post
I apologize for being a bit lazy, but I just got an email stating my 80% lower ordered Feb 1 shipped today. I have a digital caliper, and I will have a lower in a day or two, but I have no idea what or where I should be checking to see if mine is in spec or not.

I realize I should probably be able to figure that out from the previous posts, but I've have NO prior experience with the AR or its parts, so I have a bit of trouble following the locations being discussed.

I would really appreciate it if anyone knows a simple list of measurements I should check and can provide a relatively basic explanation of how to find those locations are on the lower?

There's an image in here with mil spec depths for parts. big one seems to be the mag catch depth, Slot on the passenger side should be .173" deep. If you have a lower parts kit dry fit as much as you can on it.

Last edited by DBoulant; 02-06-2013 at 8:21 PM..
Old 02-07-2013, 9:32 PM

Just spent 1 hrs with my dremel fixing the mag release...
Old 02-08-2013, 7:38 AM

I used the contact form on their website to inquire about re-machining two mag release slots and had a reply in about an hour. They're local to me, so they gave me their address, told me to come by after 11:00 today and they'd clean them up while I waited. I'll let you know how that went...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyGeorge View Post
Has anyone been able to get ahold of them recently? Left email and voicemail about my out of spec Rohg 80%s but no response yet.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:58 AM

Received my 2nd replacement Rohg lower today...

Finally some good news guys.

The new lower is to spec and wont need much beyond a little filing/sanding to work fine.

Mag catch drops in fine and holds my mags.

Mag release is a little tight but looks like just some minor machining marks that will be smoothed out with a file.

Mag well will need a little sanding but its not bad, the great news is the mag well cut is properly centered.

Buffer extension is centered, no issues there.

The part its self still has the oxidized look of other Rohgs I have seen, but the grain of the aluminum looks a lot better on this one. Still no forge mark but maybe a different source raw forging?

Props to Rohg for the quick customer service and taking the comments and criticism to heart.
Old 02-08-2013, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRod View Post
I used the contact form on their website to inquire about re-machining two mag release slots and had a reply in about an hour. They're local to me, so they gave me their address, told me to come by after 11:00 today and they'd clean them up while I waited. I'll let you know how that went...
Well they swapped one out (after I'd fixed the mag well and removed all of the tooling marks on the old one) as they weren't able to re-machine the groove. Seems the CNC machine needed to be re-programmed, and it would have been the middle of next week before they could have fixed it. So, on the 80% that was already "completed", I was S.O.L.

Luckily, I had a time slot at Arms Specialty and Tool (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...specialty+tool) to complete the new lower later in the day. Gabe quickly fixed the mag release slots on BOTH. Even the new replacement that I'd just received was about .010" shallow.

There were three other Rohg lower owners at AS&T in line with me, and each had their own issues with pin locations, shallow slots, etc...
Old 02-08-2013, 8:54 PM

I ordered 3 from the Feb 1 release and received them today. Like already posted in this thread, all 3 of them have out of spec mag release slots. I've sent an email to Rohg requesting re-milling of the mag slots. Will update here once I get response and final outcome.

Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Old 02-08-2013, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidRod View Post
Well they swapped one out (after I'd fixed the mag well and removed all of the tooling marks on the old one) as they weren't able to re-machine the groove. Seems the CNC machine needed to be re-programmed, and it would have been the middle of next week before they could have fixed it. So, on the 80% that was already "completed", I was S.O.L.

Luckily, I had a time slot at Arms Specialty and Tool (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...specialty+tool) to complete the new lower later in the day. Gabe quickly fixed the mag release slots on BOTH. Even the new replacement that I'd just received was about .010" shallow.

There were three other Rohg lower owners at AS&T in line with me, and each had their own issues with pin locations, shallow slots, etc...
We really need another SoCal source for 80% lowers...there are just too many issues with these Rohg units.
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming — yet refusing to disclose — some “master plan” is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda

Last edited by moleculo; 03-20-2014 at 3:41 PM..
Old 02-08-2013, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moleculo View Post
We really need another SoCal source for 80% lowers...there are just too many issues with these Rohg units.
Gabe had a huge block of Billet sitting on the forklift. It's going to be cut in to lots and lots of 80% lowers. Price is going to be less than $20 more than I paid for the Rohg. I think I'll be needing one.

Last edited by AcidRod; 03-20-2014 at 8:33 PM..
Old 02-09-2013, 4:36 AM

I have some cool tool:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=516304

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=653131

Lower and upper blocks, pivot pin tool and much more, let me know
Old 02-09-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerRoy View Post
I'm not sure, but aren't their lowers ordered from Anchor Harvey? Well, whomever is manufacturing these forgings for them needs to start correcting them before they ship them to their distributors. I may not be right on this one, but I don't think Rohg manufactures these lowers.
They don't have the forging markings that you usually see from Anchor Harvey. Regardless of where the forgings come from, the other work being done to bring it to 80% is being done by Rohg.
Those acting in the public interest assume obligations of accountability and transparency. Retroactively redefining goals while claiming — yet refusing to disclose — some “master plan” is just the opposite. So is viciously trashing anyone who questions your judgment. -navyinrwanda
Old 02-09-2013, 7:45 PM

Ordered feb 1st and got mine in the mail today. The mag release and mag well is too tight. Everything else seems ok.
Old 02-09-2013, 8:49 PM

Just CNC milled my lowers when I heard about the fitting issues. My suggestion is you test fit your mag release hole and latch to make sure they fit properly before going off and engraving and finishing the receiver like I did.

I picked up three, and my mag button on 2/3 are too tight and won't fit the Stag buttons I have. On all three, the mag latch does not sit flush and will not hold a mag in securely.

I've got an email out to them to see how I can fix this. Dummy me should have checked, but I made an assumption.
Old 02-10-2013, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenope View Post
Just CNC milled my lowers when I heard about the fitting issues. My suggestion is you test fit your mag release hole and latch to make sure they fit properly before going off and engraving and finishing the receiver like I did.

I picked up three, and my mag button on 2/3 are too tight and won't fit the Stag buttons I have. On all three, the mag latch does not sit flush and will not hold a mag in securely.

I've got an email out to them to see how I can fix this. Dummy me should have checked, but I made an assumption.
best logo ive seen so far!!!

go get them Rebel Scum!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 5:46 AM

So much for the 50-100 that were bad eh?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 AM

Thanks lostark! Vaderspade did those for me. Posted a few pics of the engravings on his thread.
Old 02-10-2013, 4:55 PM

I got a LPK in to check the two I got in January and both of then are off. I milled mine already so either they will have to send me 2 mag catches, I find a machine shop who can fix it for me on the spot, or order another paperweight from somewhere else then get them fixed when I mill the new guy.
Old 02-10-2013, 7:29 PM

So I fixed mine today in two hours and $6. It wasn't too bad if you have access to a drill press. I posted here about it: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=701162
Old 02-11-2013, 7:34 AM

I had a terrible customer service experience - it was a very unpleasant phone call. The two I bought were out of spec for the mag catch, and the buffer tube was way off center on one. I did get replacements, but I had to practically beg him.

The worst thing - I said "I'm just trying to get what I paid for", and he said "You did get what you paid for - you got paperweights."
Old 02-11-2013, 8:31 AM

Learned a new word at a machine shop over the weekend - "Rohged" def - you've been sold a low quality product that may or may not work.
Old 02-11-2013, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub View Post
Learned a new word at a machine shop over the weekend - "Rohged" def - you've been sold a low quality product that may or may not work.
Going into my vocabulary.

Sent from my Liberated Droid X.
Old 02-11-2013, 4:26 PM

My Feb 1st order came in today

5, 80% lowers non annod.

5/5 mag catch wells were either too shallow or too narrow. The best fitting one was just above flush and was snug.

5/5 mag release button holes were too narrow. the bullet buttons would only insert about half way.

Tried both Stag and DPMS Mag catches , same results on both.

Sent them an e-mail today asking for them to be fixed or replaced. I'll post an update as to what happens .
Old 02-11-2013, 5:19 PM

Wink

I'm sure they mean well but looks like they moved too fast to capitalize on a market opportunity. 'good enough' is not good enough. I'm a noob on this forum but this ain't my first dance.. A high standard of quality and reliability is both necessary and expected in this industry.

I'll turn my 77% lower with its multiple issues to a project lower that I will play with and learn how to correct. I'll pass on a non-standard mag catch to offset the non-standard lower. The AR platform is supposed to be parts-interchangeable and in this climate I have no intention of requiring hand-fitted parts that are mated solely one to the other. That works for a musket but not an AR.
Old 02-11-2013, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjpsb1 View Post

The worst thing - I said "I'm just trying to get what I paid for", and he said "You did get what you paid for - you got paperweights."
He said the same thing to me. But it was even funny hearing everyone at the shop talk about how they got 'Rohged' in the ***** by this vendor.
Old 02-11-2013, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDub View Post
nice! Pretty much how it was when I went to build.