Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 11-05-2012, 2:11 AM
Veteran Member

Default Gice a shoutout if you have a Synology NAS and love it!

Seriously, I have had a NAS of one kind or another for easily 5 years. I finally filled one up, and it began to become unreliable. So, I bought a nice Synology 212j+...slapped two 3GB drives, and am loving the speed and flexibility. I am even using it to local design websites before moving to my hosts.

Its far and above I ever expected.

Sent from my Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-05-2012, 5:50 AM
Veteran Member

Just added a DS213+ to our network with two 3Tb Seagates. When it works it's great but it keeps shutting itself down (hibernate off). Working with Synology to figure out why. I suspect it's a very iffy power switch. We'll see because it went down again last night.

ETA: It was the power switch. Works fine now.

Last edited by halifax; 11-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: update
Old 11-05-2012, 7:02 AM
Calguns Addict

This works well too:

Make partitions on 3 drives of the same size, then:
Quote:
mdadm --create --force /dev/md0 --assume-clean --level=raid5 --raid-devices=3 /dev/sd[bcd]1

mke2fs /dev/md0
Old 11-05-2012, 8:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone a fan of Drobo? I love that it's basically transparent, you can just keep pulling drives and swapping in larger ones.
Old 11-05-2012, 9:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billofrights View Post
Anyone a fan of Drobo? I love that it's basically transparent, you can just keep pulling drives and swapping in larger ones.
Drobo, like proprietary hardware controller RAID, has to be forward-compatible if the hardware dies for the new one in the series... their site seems like one of those a marketing hype sites, with little specifics (at least the last time I checked). If my Drobo dies, can I put the drives in a newer unit and rock-on? I don't know, as I have been unable to find this out...

Quick Search resulted in one eye-catcher for me:
http://scottkelby.com/2012/im-done-with-drobo/
Old 11-05-2012, 10:16 AM

I have a Synology 411j w/ 4 2TB drives. Use it for Time Machine backup and a file server. The transfer speed to/from my Macs could be a bit better, but otherwise no complaints..
Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM

I have a 211J and love it! Had it for about 2 years and its been great!
Old 11-05-2012, 2:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifax View Post
Just added a DS213+ to our network with two 3Tb Seagates. When it works it's great but it keeps shutting itself down (hibernate off). Working with Synology to figure out why. I suspect it's a very iffy power switch. We'll see because it went down again last night.
Interesting issue. . . I presume at this point you have checked the wind-down settings and such?

Old 11-05-2012, 11:12 PM
Bit Pusher
CGN Contributor

I don't love it, but I'm impressed by it. They've got a lot of features and are surprisingly stable...
Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Got one at work. 16TB in 8 drives. It's okay, not great and the speeds are absolutely abysmal but it's a NAS so kind of what you get

I much prefer attached storage because I work a lot with large amounts of data, files anywhere from 500mb to several GB each.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 11-06-2012, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Interesting issue. . . I presume at this point you have checked the wind-down settings and such?

All such "wind-down" settings have been disabled but it still powers down completely for no apparent reason. Still working on it.

Old 11-06-2012, 7:45 AM
The other white meat.
CGN Contributor

have my trusty readynas duo that i found at work in a pile of junk being sent out to the e-recycler. Our IT department was chucking it because "they couldn't get it to work".

I replaced the drives and it's been at 100 percent up time for the last 2 years.

Also have a old dell converted to a ftp server for my security cameras and it in turns uploads all motion recorded activity to my google drive. Unlikely anyone would find it where it's hidden, mostly in case of fire.

I was also granted 5tb of storage on my companies servers but only use that for monthly offsite backups after running them through truecrypt.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 PM

I been playing with freenas http://www.freenas.org/ on a HP DL360G5, DUO CPU, 4GB and 75GB SAS(6X) HD. Great performance and easy configuration.

I cannot attest for long term reliablity, but thus far been running for two weeks.
Old 11-06-2012, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tay View Post
I been playing with freenas http://www.freenas.org/ on a HP DL360G5, DUO CPU, 4GB and 75GB SAS(6X) HD. Great performance and easy configuration.

I cannot attest for long term reliablity, but thus far been running for two weeks.
I tried FreeNAS on some old machines (P4's single-core), however it wasn't what I expected (compared to Slackware )... I should give it some play-time on some newer boxes.
Old 11-06-2012, 4:35 PM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Wow. Lots of folks like'n on da NAS!

Nice nice. I am gonna create a ZFS NAS but i am still scrounging for a good mobo to start with. I have looked a few times and then stopped and then found one, but I forgot what it was and anyways... I am convinced that ZFS is the way to go with a NAS setup since I want a box to store my photos and maybe movies on and it would be nice to control it remotely (turn on and off) can this box do that?
Old 11-06-2012, 4:40 PM
Veteran Member

Isilon & Celera NX4.
Mark 14:51 - 52

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep7081
The more I am on CalGuns the more I see why government keeps certain people from owning firearms.
[/size]
Old 11-07-2012, 3:16 PM
Veteran Member

My NAS is primarally for storing and streaming our media, such as our 1080p movies, TV shows, and photos to our various TVs.

I also use it to sync files to all our computers, and phones.

It is limited more by my internet speeds than anything else. My upload speeds are like 512kb/s

Old 11-07-2012, 11:29 PM

I've deployed probably 80 Synology NAS solutions in the last 2 years in many environments. I've never seen any failure of the enclosure or even their provided power supplies.

Some of my clients even have Diskstations syncing to a Colocated NAS in our Rack at a commercial datacenter. The goal here being a solution that they own and if they need to recover from a worst case scenario, have an appliance they can pick up VS attempting to download 2+ TB across the net, or other reasons.

Best interface I've ever used for a NAS, easy to join to Windows domain, easy to configure, feature rich for the dollar and the DSM software supports all older models so you'll always have up to date Firmware/OS.

Paired with the new Western Digital RED (NAS dedicated) drives you have a VERY cost effective solution.

They're a little more pricey than other solutions but their value is through the roof.

Last edited by Fizz; 11-07-2012 at 11:43 PM..
Old 11-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
Wow. Lots of folks like'n on da NAS!

Nice nice. I am gonna create a ZFS NAS but i am still scrounging for a good mobo to start with. I have looked a few times and then stopped and then found one, but I forgot what it was and anyways... I am convinced that ZFS is the way to go with a NAS setup since I want a box to store my photos and maybe movies on and it would be nice to control it remotely (turn on and off) can this box do that?
I wouldn't build your own.

Points of failure, energy consumption, features, support, etc. just don't make the solution worth the effort.

A purpose built NAS appliance is headless (No Keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. necessary... ever) and managed completely across the network. Start up, shut down, emailing of system alerts, reports, add-on modules, audible alarms, etc. all taken care of.

A purpose built OS (DSM in the case of Synology) and hardware is going to vastly outvalue anything you could build. I work for an OEM computer/IT services company, I've personally spec'ed and built THOUSANDS of computers from 400 dollar entry boxes to 20,000 dollar SQL servers. I could NOT build a NAS solution that would deliver better ROI than a dedicated appliance unless there were some VERY specific requirements.

I don't know why you'd want to turn a NAS on and off anyway. Can you elaborate on this? Synology Diskstations can be set to sleep when there's no activity, they power down the drives and leave the Ethernet port on 'just enough' to be network discoverable. When it gets a request for the web based control panel or access to shares, it spins the disks up and resumes within about 20 seconds.

I've power tested these 2 Disk NAS's at less than 2 watts when in this sleep mode.

Last edited by Fizz; 11-07-2012 at 11:47 PM..
Old 11-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Banned

Location: Currently in a shanty I made in the river bottom by Eastvale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
I wouldn't build your own.

Points of failure, energy consumption, features, support, etc. just don't make the solution worth the effort.

A purpose built NAS appliance is headless (No Keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc. necessary... ever) and managed completely across the network. Start up, shut down, emailing of system alerts, reports, add-on modules, audible alarms, etc. all taken care of.

A purpose built OS (DSM in the case of Synology) and hardware is going to vastly outvalue anything you could build. I work for an OEM computer/IT services company, I've personally spec'ed and built THOUSANDS of computers from 400 dollar entry boxes to 20,000 dollar SQL servers. I could NOT build a NAS solution that would deliver better ROI than a dedicated appliance unless there were some VERY specific requirements.

I don't know why you'd want to turn a NAS on and off anyway. Can you elaborate on this? Synology Diskstations can be set to sleep when there's no activity, they power down the drives and leave the Ethernet port on 'just enough' to be network discoverable. When it gets a request for the web based control panel or access to shares, it spins the disks up and resumes within about 20 seconds.

I've power tested these 2 Disk NAS's at less than 2 watts when in this sleep mode.
Simple.

"Because I can and it might be fun to explore that road."

I agree with what you say though, I was going to look for one that I could program, set up and install and then use a flash drive to contain the os and then when it boots up I can manage it across my network. This started out as a bullet proof way to hopefully store master photos and videos that I film. I was looking at the RAID and I stumbled across a ZFS system and I looked more and more and I really liked what I saw. In this case, I would want a box setup across the house or up in the attic or in a closet away from everything else that could be powered on to upload or download to/from and then powered off when no more storage is needed. I want something secret and tucked away from prying eyes. I had looked at a lot of systems about a year or so ago and I found ONE that looked good but it was around $800 without the disks. The Synology DS413 looks to be very nice at around $300-$400 without the disks but I am also bent on ZFS unless there is an os that is better. Also, I know that ZFS is not bullet proof but it seems better then RAID whatever the last time I read up on it. I do not mind having three to four disks and only getting about 3 TB out of it for right now. I just want peace of mind knowing that I did my best to store my junk onto the best file system/hardware that I could. I have not really found anything that I loved so I have not completed this project yet.

For the price I might have to settle for a mass produced RAID setup, but I really want ZFS. And yes, sleep mode would be what I would be looking for.
Old 11-15-2012, 6:23 PM

ZFS is not an OS (Operating System), it's an FS (File System).

An OS would be something like FreeNAS, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeNAS which supports the ZFS file system.

You'll want to research your compatibility before purchasing any hardware. If you're not familiar with Linux getting driver support to work can be a challenge. You'll be screwed if say, your NIC isn't supported by default, or is supported with limitations, etc. Does the NIC support WOL? Does the BIOS support automatic power on on power failure?

ZFS is cool and all, but you also have to remember that the best BDR practices are redundant and designed to withstand various failure scenarios.

Ex. What happens if a PSU dies and takes all your drives out at once (I've seen it several times)?

How acceptable is the ZFS performance overhead going to be to you?

House burns down? The motherboard dies and you can't get a replacement (where/how do you recover from that scenario)? You accidentally delete something? Bad memory causes corrupt information to be written to media (you can't depend on ECC for this) which isn't something necessarily something correctable by ZFS? What happens in a power failure scenario (even if you have a UPS, they run out of juice eventually)?
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

1511+ baby
Only running 4 drives, had it about 2 yearsish iirc
Not using anywhere near its full capability, but like having the hybrid raid for data security.

Any good tips and tricks let me know! Anyone feed their TIVO or other DVR directly from the NAS for playback?

My intended and main use is photo and file storage, so I don't use the media serving capabilities at all at this point. I really should learn how, but currently my droid phone and TIVO are the only devices I would be interested in hooking up.

My first NAS - so glad to get rid of the bunches of random enclosures and disks I was using previously and had accumulated in the 10GB to 200GB range, yuck.

Last edited by rkt88edmo; 11-16-2012 at 12:53 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 5:07 PM

Why must you tempt me?!?!?!!?!

Looking at the DS412+ or DS1512+
Old 11-26-2012, 7:10 PM
Calguner Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Seriously, I have had a NAS of one kind or another for easily 5 years. I finally filled one up, and it began to become unreliable. So, I bought a nice Synology 212j+...slapped two 3GB drives, and am loving the speed and flexibility. I am even using it to local design websites before moving to my hosts.
Synology is the best home/small business NAS out there. They are the only ones that build a quality product and actually support it. All the other NAS vendors including the big names, build a plastic box, and support it for six months.

I have a DJ209 that is about 3 years old and its absolutely great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
I tried FreeNAS on some old machines (P4's single-core), however it wasn't what I expected (compared to Slackware )... I should give it some play-time on some newer boxes.
Played around with that for a while. I found it to be very sensitive to the hardware - i.e. not stable on many platforms and so so from a feature perspective. Also, don't expect seamless & safe firmware upgrades. I would stay away from it for something you need to trust your data to.
Old 11-26-2012, 9:46 PM
Veteran Member

The only problem I am having is not a direct issue with the NAS, but DLNA and my TV... No mkv subtitles! Otherwise, I have yet to find a kink in the armour.

Sent via Note 2 Lte
Old 12-23-2012, 2:01 PM

Well DS1512+ on the way with Red drives
Old 12-23-2012, 2:06 PM

Quote:

Its far and above I ever expected.

I have two:
DS 1511+
DS 1512+

I replicate a lot between the 1512 to the 1511. Very happy with the performance.
Old 12-23-2012, 2:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I am not familiar too much with the home NAS world (my exp. is enterprise systems), like Synology. A quick search didn't reveal this much, but does it internally support previous file versions (like "shadow copies") of your files without stuffing them over to a pay-for cloud client?

Personally I have been running a small server stacked with TB disks for myself for a long time, and it is locked down secure and supports on the fly recovery of many previous versions of files. That is handy for the wife for sure on several occasions.

Another thing for people to know about sleeping their disks a lot, while the world has gotten better at this, drives see a significant higher fail rate (over a long time of course) with having to spin up and then down, then up again, and etc. when accessed, versus letting them just spin. That's OK with good data redundancy and backup plans of course, but FYI.

The moment the idea is admitted into society, that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence.' and that `Property is surely a right of mankind as real as liberty.'
- John Adams

http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Last edited by odysseus; 12-23-2012 at 2:19 PM..
Old 12-23-2012, 3:58 PM

I have the Synology DS410 with 2 1Tb drives. Use it for simple backup, media server, and web server. Amazingly simple and easy to use. Worth every penny.
Old 12-23-2012, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
I am not familiar too much with the home NAS world (my exp. is enterprise systems), like Synology. A quick search didn't reveal this much, but does it internally support previous file versions (like "shadow copies") of your files without stuffing them over to a pay-for cloud client?

Personally I have been running a small server stacked with TB disks for myself for a long time, and it is locked down secure and supports on the fly recovery of many previous versions of files. That is handy for the wife for sure on several occasions.

Another thing for people to know about sleeping their disks a lot, while the world has gotten better at this, drives see a significant higher fail rate (over a long time of course) with having to spin up and then down, then up again, and etc. when accessed, versus letting them just spin. That's OK with good data redundancy and backup plans of course, but FYI.
I don't recall any built in Shadow Copy-like feature on the Synology units. However, you'd get this pretty easily if you were to use the NAS as an iSCSI target on a traditional server. Of course, this means you have the overhead of maintaining another solution, etc.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:21 PM

I'm a big fan of QNAP NASes. It's easier to hack their software to get some extra functionality out.

I used to install ReadyNASes and even figured out how to replace the internal NVRAM (a USB thumb drive on the 1100) when a firmware update lost power and corrupted the firmware. But QNAP is more reliable hardware-wise, so I made the switch.

Synology is just "meh" to me.
Old 12-30-2012, 4:41 PM

Loving the DS1512+

They have two programs; Time Backup and Data Replicator 3, which sounds like what you want.
Old 12-30-2012, 8:40 PM
Calguns Addict

They're ok... Not as nice as my Equallogic 4100 though...