Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 07-20-2007, 9:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Default Best way to lube your brass before full-length resizing?

I just got a tube of that Lee brass lube, and I'm ready to start full-length sizing/decapping my .223 brass. I don't have one of those lube pads to use. I've read that you can dilute the straight lube up to 1:4 with water and it will still work well. How are you guys who AREN'T using a pad doing this?

Do you just smear a little lube on your fingers and rub each case around between your fingers? That seems like it would take too long... I am not a patient man.

I'm thinking about getting one of those small spray bottles and diluting the lube 1:4 in the bottle and spraying that on, say, 50 cases at a time, and shaking them all up in a ziplock bag. If I do it this way, will I still have to smear a little around the inside of the neck with a q-tip?

Any other tips appreciated. This weekend I'm going to prep a bunch of cases by full-length sizing and trimming and deburring.

Do any of you tumble the cases a little again after prepping them, to get rid of the lube residue?
Old 07-20-2007, 9:19 AM
Calguns Addict

i get an empty cardbox box, and let it all flat. then i spray, and wait 7-10 minutes. then i do what i got to do. i wouldn't dilute it the lube though.

or you can use a cookie sheet.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 AM

If it's case lube like you're talking about then yes, rolling it in your hand is the easiest way. If you wipe some lube on your hand and grab a case from the pile, just wipe your fingers over it or roll it in your hand just before putting in on/in the press.

If using a spray most use the methods Pete described to lube the cases. As with any lube, don't over do it. Using to much lube on the case can ruin it as it will be crushed/sized more in the die.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Calguns Addict

Imperial Die Wax. Dab finger in tin, roll brass between finger tips (index and thumb) around body and just a slight film on the neck. That's it. One $6 tin of Imperial Die Wax lasts forever. I bought 2 tins 4 years ago. Countless thousands of cases later, I'm still on the first tin

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Furniture polish works for me
-----------------------------------------
Old 07-20-2007, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I just put 100-200 pieces of brass in an akro bin, then give it two sprays with the Dillon case lube and rub 'em around with my fingers. It's all ready to load then.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Do you smear a little inside the neck with a q-tip, or can I skip that?
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76 View Post
I just put 100-200 pieces of brass in an akro bin, then give it two sprays with the Dillon case lube and rub 'em around with my fingers. It's all ready to load then.
I do almost the same.

I also use Dillon spray lube.

I place a whole bunch of cases into a cardboard box lid. Spray a light coat of lube, shake around, spray another light coat of lube, shake around, then drop them all into a zip lock bag.... then reload on... they tends to be ok, for quite a while (I reload thru out the week)

PS. I never lube the inside!

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 07-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member

I just use hornady one shot....spray the outside of the cases while they are is a loading block of 50 wait 1 minute then start
Old 07-20-2007, 11:30 AM

Put the Lee toothpaste lube in a big freezer ziplock bag, insert brass and shake lake a maniac.
Old 07-20-2007, 1:34 PM

Use a Carbide sizing die.

I would still use the cardboard box and One-shot spray method sometimes but found that it is really not needed while using a carbide die. Save the extra step of wiping the finish cartridges down also before using.

I wonder if you can spray Gunscrubber on the finished cartridges to get rid of the lube, using the cardboard box method again... Any thoughts?

Last edited by pklin1297; 07-20-2007 at 1:38 PM..
Old 07-20-2007, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklin1297 View Post

Any thoughts?
Still needs lube for full length................
Old 07-20-2007, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
You would STILL need to lube EVEN if you use a "carbide" die.... that's for RIFLE.....(EVERY die manuf stated that...) .... you can skip the lube if you are reloading for straight walled pistol caliber....

Quote:
I wonder if you can spray Gunscrubber on the finished cartridges to get rid of the lube, using the cardboard box method again... Any thoughts?
Just tumble your completed rounds for 10-15min. It is completely safe.

New to Calguns, check here first:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=56818
Old 07-20-2007, 1:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I need to do a formal test of how many pieces of brass you can lube with one can of Hornady One Shot.

The reason why I stopped using One Shot is because it doesn't last that long. I remember going through a few cans in a fairly short amount of time and at $8 a pop or so, it was getting expensive.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 07-20-2007, 2:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

One Shot is great for the little stuff.
I switched to Imperial Sizing Wax for 50BMG because One Shot was getting expensive and I found that Imperial Sizing Wax works much better!
Old 07-20-2007, 2:43 PM
Veteran Member

I use the one shot cause its fast and easy an doesnt leave a mess everywhere....How long it lasts Im not sure but I really like it so far...
Old 07-20-2007, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabj View Post
Imperial Die Wax. Dab finger in tin, roll brass between finger tips (index and thumb) around body and just a slight film on the neck. That's it. One $6 tin of Imperial Die Wax lasts forever. I bought 2 tins 4 years ago. Countless thousands of cases later, I'm still on the first tin
Big +1. I stopped looking for a better way after I got Imperial Wax. Doesn't take long at all because such a small amount is needed. It's controllable and it doesn't build up in the die. I bought the smallest tin about 2 years ago and after thousands of 223, 308 and 30/06, I still have more than half left.

FWIW, I still have some of the "Lee toothpaste" and it works well. Not as smooth as the Imperial, but its water soluble if you want to wash it off. If you put the cases in the tumbler after, the Imperial really makes the cases shine.
Old 07-20-2007, 6:40 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If I'm sizing a LOT of brass.. then I use a old cookie tray.. lay my brass out flat and spray with One-Shot. I can average 1K rnds of brass for one can of One-shot this way...

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2220
Old 07-20-2007, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

For the 223, minimal lube required. I use RCBS for all my reloading except the 338 LM since it requires a higher lubricity properties---> Imperial Wax.
Old 07-20-2007, 7:09 PM

I usually do it one of two ways, either the cookie sheet method using Dillon case lube, it comes in a pump spray bottle and only a couple of shots will do a large amount of brass. The other method is kind of spendy as brass lubing goes but it sure covers alot of reloading ground fast. I use an RL550B with an RCBS lube/decap die in the first station and I put the Dillon motorized full length sizer/trimmer set up in station 3. With one pull of the handle it will lube, decap, full length resize, and trim it. It uses a carbide bit that cuts so flat and square that deburring is not necessary. Regardless of the method I am using, I just toss the brass into the tumbler to clean it up. The Dillon lube seems to work well, it uses alcohol to suspend the lube and once it is spray the alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves a thin film of lube. I have not had any problems with it gumming up the dies either.

Mark
Old 07-20-2007, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I use both the Imperial and the Dillon. For the Dillon, I stand up the cases in a box lid and spray them from a 45 degree angle. That way I get a little in the case mouth. I tumble again after decapping, sizing and trimming. Then I pull the sizing die to reload.

I found that if I don't tumble after sizing (with the Dillon lube) powder sticks inside the case mouth. It probably isn't too much of a big deal, but aestheticly it bothers me.

90% of winning is simply showing up.

"Let's not lose sight of how much we reduced our carbon footprint by telecommuting this protest." 383green

NRA Benefactor Member