Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 07-20-2007, 7:57 AM
Veteran Member

Default Got B zone this year, need help

This year me and some family members will be hunting in B zone for the first time. Now while I know its a broad question, but does anyone have any suggestions where we might have the best luck? We were thinking some where around Yolla Bolly, but any help in any area would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default B

Big green is my old stomping grounds, try on both sides of southfork mountain ridge, six rivers close to Ruth, and "indian valley" area north of Hayfork.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, I really appreciate that. Anyone else out there have any other thoughts, I would kinda like to see if others have had good success in this same area, or maybe another.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:43 AM

I think that B zone covers a lot of area but I have hunted and camped on Orleans mountain before. I think that it is near a town called Wichipec? You will have to 4x4 in and even though the place looks empty there was a ranger waiting for us when we brought our buck back to camp.

Be careful in that area. I ran into a bear there and the year before, some dude killed a 1089 lb bear up there.
Old 07-21-2007, 8:05 PM
Veteran Member

Wow thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 10:55 AM
In Memoriam

I've got a B zone tag this year. I am going to go up to red bluff and hunt just west of there in the trinity national forest on opening day

I also got the draw for X-1 Iam not shure how many applied but the tag quota was around 2000
Old 07-22-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragweed View Post
..., some dude killed a 1089 lb bear up there.
I would have liked to seen that bear as the average adult male is only 250 lbs and the all time CA record Black Bear that the CA Department of Fish and Game knows about is 574lbs....and the heaviest black bear EVER recorded in ALL of North America is 880lbs!

{A little websearch shows it was taken in Craven County, North Carolina, and a close second taken from northeastern Minnesota weighed 876 pounds on September 5, 1994.}

Also, it would seem very odd that a bear that big would not have been reported to the CA Dept. of Fish and Game, since it is a law that all bears taken in this state are reported (you must called in to the hotline along with your travel route home, or physically present it ) as soon as one starts home with the meat and that the skull be presented in person to a Fish and Game biologist within 10 days. So yes, I'm a little skeptical on this claim of a 1089lb black bear!
"The cat is out of the bag. We cannot buy back all of the series clones. We do not want to allow registration, so I think we're stuck with SB 23 being the vehicle to regulate them" ---- Dep. Attorney General A. Merrilees writes to Brady Center on May 15, 2006 @ 11:22 am

Last edited by Hunter; 07-22-2007 at 2:21 PM..
Old 07-22-2007, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
I would have liked to seen that bear as the average adult male is only 250 lbs and the all time CA record Black Bear that the CA Department of Fish and Game knows about is 574lbs....and the heaviest black bear EVER recorded in ALL of North America is 880lbs!

{A little websearch shows it was taken in Craven County, North Carolina, and a close second taken from northeastern Minnesota weighed 876 pounds on September 5, 1994.}

Also, it would seem very odd that a bear that big would not have been reported to the CA Dept. of Fish and Game, since it is a law that all bears taken in this state are reported (you must called in to the hotline along with your travel route home, or physically present it ) as soon as one starts home with the meat and that the skull be presented in person to a Fish and Game biologist within 10 days. So yes, I'm a little skeptical on this claim of a 1089lb black bear!

I am sure that the shop owner that told us that was just feeding us a bunch of BS.

The one that I was eye to eye with was about 250-300lbs.
Old 07-23-2007, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
This year me and some family members will be hunting in B zone for the first time. Now while I know its a broad question, but does anyone have any suggestions where we might have the best luck? We were thinking some where around Yolla Bolly, but any help in any area would be greatly appreciated.
I'm also hunting up there for the 1st time up by a place called plantina or plantine my brother does security on a 14,000 acre ranch.Its going to be my 14 yr old sons first hunting trip and we are looking really forward to it.
Old 07-23-2007, 6:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Platina?
Old 07-28-2007, 4:00 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone else have any hot spots?
Old 07-28-2007, 5:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooger View Post
Big green is my old stomping grounds, try on both sides of southfork mountain ridge, six rivers close to Ruth, and "indian valley" area north of Hayfork.

Unless there's another burn then Hayfork area is TUFF; been hunting that for years with ever DIMINISHING results: With last years burn in Frecnh gulch there should be some (better) shooting near there in another year or so but I'm a lot like you and looking for newer/better areas.... Good luck

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 09-03-2007, 9:33 PM
Veteran Member

metalhead357, come up with any good ideas?
Old 09-04-2007, 4:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrice6 View Post
metalhead357, come up with any good ideas?

LOL! outta my hands for at least this year; going with my usual bud who says he's got a surprise (place) for us. I still expect it to be either North or north west of Redding.....but thats all I know at the moment.

Edit: I do recall hunting years and years ago along the (?) Snake river(?) down the southernn portion of Mendacino; lettme ask around d' circle of friends to see if I cant be of more help on those specifics........

~Molôn Labé!!~

1.)All humanity would be better off if Stoooopid hurt.
2.)Why is it that if guns are sooooo unsafe that you're 9 times more likely to die at the hands of your doctor?
3.)Remember...Buy it cheap & stack it deep
Old 09-06-2007, 6:39 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks
Old 09-06-2007, 7:51 PM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragweed View Post
I ran into a bear there and the year before, some dude killed a 1089 lb bear up there.

Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself.