Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-30-2012, 2:56 PM

Default on duty back up gun // LCP vs BDYGUARD vs PM9

Ruger Lcp vs S&W Bodyguard vs Kahr Pm9

Some things I noticed from what others have told me, as well as reviews + videos.

Ruger Lcp----
Pro - Light / Price / Simple / Less things to snag on / Nice Trigger
Con - My personal preference but no auto slide lock, Sights can be a bit difficult to use "but then again this is a 7yrd gun"

S&W Bodyguard----

Pro - Light / Price / Nice Sights / Dont care for laser but it comes with one
Con - Slightly bigger or at least in my pants / I really dont like the trigger

Kahr Pm9----
Pro - Caliber size up / Nice Sights / Less things to snag on/ Nice Trigger
Con - Price / Weight / Size a little bit bigger than others

these are things that most of you know but anyone out there got any more input before I go purchase my pistol in 2 days? Price really isnt an issue, but basically the best option overall.

I really like the bodyguard for the slide lock and sights and I was about to go buy the bodyguard today but the trigger really does bother me a bit, felt like a revolver but I know some people like that.

any tips would help!!
Old 10-30-2012, 3:21 PM

I would look at door #4 (S&W J frame) pm sent.
Old 10-30-2012, 3:41 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Kahr PM9. Able to handle full power 9mm ammo, small, good DAO trigger, night sights are fantastic, never a snag pulling it out of where ever I have it stashed and unbelievably accurate to 25yds and beyond. I hit a clay bird at 106yds in 3 shots.

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 10-30-2012, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzernie View Post
Kahr PM9. Able to handle full power 9mm ammo, small, good DAO trigger, night sights are fantastic, never a snag pulling it out of where ever I have it stashed and unbelievably accurate to 25yds and beyond. I hit a clay bird at 106yds in 3 shots.
That will come in handy if he's attacked by a clay bird 100 yards away! kidding!
Old 10-30-2012, 4:27 PM
Veteran Member

Why no LC9?
Old 10-30-2012, 4:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsk9 View Post
That will come in handy if he's attacked by a clay bird 100 yards away! kidding!
Those clay birds are freakin dangerous!!!

TinStarSupply@aol.com

The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it
Old 10-30-2012, 6:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoguy View Post
Ruger Lcp vs S&W Bodyguard vs Kahr Pm9

Some things I noticed from what others have told me, as well as reviews + videos.

Ruger Lcp----
Pro - Light / Price / Simple / Less things to snag on / Nice Trigger
Con - My personal preference but no auto slide lock, Sights can be a bit difficult to use "but then again this is a 7yrd gun"

S&W Bodyguard----

Pro - Light / Price / Nice Sights / Dont care for laser but it comes with one
Con - Slightly bigger or at least in my pants / I really dont like the trigger

Kahr Pm9----
Pro - Caliber size up / Nice Sights / Less things to snag on/ Nice Trigger
Con - Price / Weight / Size a little bit bigger than others

these are things that most of you know but anyone out there got any more input before I go purchase my pistol in 2 days? Price really isnt an issue, but basically the best option overall.

I really like the bodyguard for the slide lock and sights and I was about to go buy the bodyguard today but the trigger really does bother me a bit, felt like a revolver but I know some people like that.

any tips would help!!
Get your hands on each of what you are thinking of getting. I shot a buddy's LCP and hated it. Some people love them, it didn't work for me. I'm not going to pick the gun I may have to use as a last ditch effort to save my own butt based upon someone else's review.

I'd also add in a Smith J frame, as well as the LC9, and Smith's MP Shield.
Old 10-30-2012, 6:21 PM

J frame / lc9 / shield are all great guns but I was thinking of size factor for pocket. I'm about 5"7. I pocketed the j frame / lc9 and it was just too large in my wool pants. I looked at the shield and the size was very similar

So decided to get a micro pistol. Pm9 I believe is about the same size as the bodyguard but slightly thicker
Old 10-30-2012, 11:58 PM

I can only speak for the LCP as a backup gun. Awful trigger. Not the easiest for a follow up shot, even though it is only .380. Highly concealable. Nothing to snag on.
Old 10-31-2012, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judoguy View Post
J frame / lc9 / shield are all great guns but I was thinking of size factor for pocket. I'm about 5"7. I pocketed the j frame / lc9 and it was just too large in my wool pants. I looked at the shield and the size was very similar

So decided to get a micro pistol. Pm9 I believe is about the same size as the bodyguard but slightly thicker
If it must be a micro pistol look at the LC9. Trigger takes a bit of getting used to, but its reliable with good sights. I'd look at other modes of carry like a vest holster for a J frame.
Old 10-31-2012, 6:21 AM
Veteran Member

Had the LCP, tough trigger, stout recoil with our Ranger ammo. Never felt adequate with a tiny gun like that. Switched to the Taurus PT709 Slim with Ranger +P+ 9mm and felt a lot better. But went back to the tried and true Airweight 642 after all said and done just because it is hard to beat a J-frame for BUG.

If you are set on an auto, check out the Taurus. It also comes in a forty cal variant. Great safety trigger like a Glock, double strike capability, light, not much bigger than a LCP, useful 3 dot sights, 7+1 capacity, 9mm, and way cheaper than a Kahr and easier to shoot than their double action trigger.
Old 10-31-2012, 6:48 AM

Default pm9

I have the pm40, a bit snappy, I like it but follow on shots are slow. The pm9 would probably be the best choice

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 10-31-2012, 7:00 AM

Get your hands on them and shoot them. Talk with some partners and see about borrowing theirs for a few rounds or call around to the local indoor ranges to see if they have 1 or more for rent. All 3 are as reliable as the next in that class of pistol. The best gun is going to be the one that feels right to you.

You may also want to check out the old standby, 5-shot J-frame S&W revolver and maybe the Glock 26 or 27 (especially if your primary is a Glock)
Old 10-31-2012, 3:10 PM

No on the Ruger LCs. They have a very long trigger pull, and halfway through the reset, it has a positive click that feels exactly like the actual reset. You think you are reset and you pull the trigger...no bang...you weren't actually reset. This is why I chose not to buy the Ruger. I tried many guns and liked the Kahr PM9 and Beretta Nano the best. Nano is $200 cheaper than the Kahr.
"Police, at all times, should maintain a relationship with the public that gives reality to the historic tradition that the police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent upon every citizen."
-- Sir Robert Peel
Old 10-31-2012, 7:18 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Look at the shield if you can find one. The sights are so shuttle on the lcp, like barely there. The kahr requires more frequent maintenance but is still a good shooter
Old 10-31-2012, 7:51 PM

OP what is your primary duty weapon? I would recommend carrying a glock combination for duty use. The flexibility in that is both a rugged reliable, accurate, high capacity, sleek pistol AND if you buy a subcompact for your backup carry, they take the same magazines. For example, if for some reason you are in a gunfight with a BG w/gun and your primary suffers a catastrophic failure, you can draw your secondary and continue to use all of your magazines. For example if the Glock 22 is your primary that goes down, you can plug the mags into your secondary Glock 27 and finish the fight. Only difference at that point is the barrel length, and the slightly uncomfortable grip (mags sticking out from under the small frame). if you carry a revolver backup or LC9 etc, your rounds are limited, and will usually be a smaller and possible less effective type of ammunition.
Old 10-31-2012, 9:57 PM

CalCop,

That is exactly the way I feel about the LCP trigger. Need to find a replacement. Thanks for the good suggestions.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM

Opted for the body guard 380 today.

Reasons why.....

I really considered the lcp but the trigger reset is exactly as the above posts states. Half way through reset I thought it was set but found out it wasn't . Very confusing because it feels and sounds the same as the resetting point. The sights are so minimal tht in any low light shooting you won't be able to see your front sight at all.

Pm9 was desired but I guess you just can't beat 329$ so decided to get to body guard. Got a black hawk pocket sleeve but going to look up some better pocket sleeves and also a iwb.
Old 11-01-2012, 9:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Was running a G26 in an ankle rig - just too big.
Wanted to run a LCP 380 - told minimum backup cartridge was 9mm.
Ran a 360PD 357 in a pocket holster - hated shooting magnum loads in that light frame and finally...
Run a PM9...love it!
"The message we’re sending is…not here, not now, we’re prepared for you. And if you seek to harm our children, we will neutralize that threat and you will most likely be killed." Fontana PD Chief Rodney Jones on the FUSD decision to have AR-15s on school campuses.

CGF Contributor
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta, GLOCK, SA-Colt AR15/M16, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Old 11-01-2012, 9:28 AM
Calguns Addict

I've shot them all and would highly recommend the Kahr. It really is better built and finished, it is very accurate and the trigger is unmatched for it's size.

I used to carry a S&W M-642 and the Kahr CW9 replaced it as my go everywhere CCW. If I wanted something a bit smaller, I wouldn't hesitate to go with the PM/CM9