Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-21-2014, 8:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Finally, I tracked down my medical record (hoping it contains all my medical records). They told me to wait anywhere between 30 to 180 days lol. I guess it is better than nothing. I wonder how much more $50 copay I will have to pay until my case gets settle.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
Try to provide them the most you can from what you can get - it will save time from you having to do it int he future. Don't forget the buddy letters either!
So hard to find my old buddies... I lost contact with them and all of them are either from Texas or Arizona.
Old 02-24-2014, 6:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Wish me luck guys, I do not my medical record right now, but I have gathered more than enough evidence (hoping its enough) to file the official claim tomorrow.
Old 02-24-2014, 6:15 PM

Goodluck
Old 02-25-2014, 6:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Took me little over 3 1/2 hours to see my claim officer today, but it was worth the wait. He believes I have enough evidence for now to support my claim. In fact, I have hard physical evidence they have lost good portion of my medical records when I came back from Iraq. In addition, Corpsman wrote me bunch of statements for me (I tracked that Corpsman down, still in the Navy).

I also wrote letter to my congressman and mayor. I am hoping they can write me a letter of recommendation in order to speed up my process.

Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 02-25-2014 at 10:05 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
So hard to find my old buddies... I lost contact with them and all of them are either from Texas or Arizona.
Facebook? I literally have access to probably 1/2 of the guys I knew through that.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.
Old 02-26-2014, 4:37 AM
Calguns Addict

I tried to use facebook, but most of my buddies do not have one because they all wanted to become LEO so no facebook.
Old 02-26-2014, 6:33 PM
Calguns Addict

For those who have finished service realted injuries, is this statement letter or also known as buddy letter good enough for evidence.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing this statement on behalf of Cpl.XXXX. I Hospital Corpsman First Class XXX was Cpl. XXXX platoon Corpsman (Medic) during his entire 2007-2008 deployment to Al Ta Quaddam Iraq. I have firsthand knowledge of Cpl.XXXX ailments that occurred during our deployment. During this deployment I personally treated Cpl XXXX for various ailments relating to foot patrols, riding in Humvees for extended period of time, falling from the guard tower and hitting his head during a vehicle accident.

On 6 separate occasions Cpl. XXXX notified me of injuries associated with sitting in patrol vehicles, twisting his knee during foot patrols and falling from the guard tower. Each time I examined Cpl. XXXX on-scene and he was referred to the BAS (Battalion Aid Station) for a more thorough exam.
On one occasion during a combat patrol in Iraq, our HUMVEE driver fell asleep while driving. Our vehicle flew off the highway and landed in a ditch. All occupants of the vehicle received minor injuries and were treated at the scene. Cpl XXXX was specifically treated for blunt force trauma to the head when his head struck the Humvee windshield. I performed a MACE test on him and then referred him to the BAS for concussion protocol once the patrol returned to Base.

On another occasion I treated Cpl. XXXX for injuries sustained when falling from a guardtower. He complained of pain to shoulder and lowerback. Again he was referred to the BAS for follow on treatment. He was placed on light duty following this incident. Xrays and documents were taken for this incident.
On several different occasions Cpl XXXX was medically examined by myself for complaints of knee pain/swelling and limited range of motion due to being twisted during foot-patrol. Cpl. XXXX was referred to the BAS.

I believe Cpl XXXX may have medical documents missing from his medical record associated with the 2007-2008 deployment to Iraq. I reviewed his current documents and see only 1 document from that deployment associated with me treating his injuries. I can attest to at least 5 more medical SF600’s that should be in Cpl. XXXX permanent record for various knee, shoulder and head trauma.

I would also like to touch on Cpl.XXXX final physical. Than Marines of Charlie company were forced to have their final physicals done in-country during combat operations due to manning and op-tempo. It is my opinion that Cpl XXXX was not given a thorough final physical due to the fact that our medical capabilities in-country were very limited.

In my medical opinion, Cpl XXXX current medical problems are related to the injuries suffered on deployment. Cpl XXXX continued to have problems with knee and shoulder pain and the symptoms were constant and persisted throughout the entire deployment.

V/r

HM1(FMF/EXW)XXXX, XXXX

Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 02-26-2014 at 7:00 PM..
Old 03-01-2014, 2:33 PM
Calguns Addict

My district congressman finally contacted me, he is going to look into it. He made me signed some forms so he can look into my medical record and stuff. I am praying for the best.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:31 PM

any update?

I submitted a claim aug 2013, i'm at a review stage for a while, and occasionally get letters.

Heard through the veterans group that its largely dependent on where its processed.
Old 03-06-2014, 3:53 AM
Calguns Addict

I am still waiting for my medical records, but my district congressman is helping me out thou.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:45 AM
Calguns Addict

Ebenfit gave me a timeline for my claim, but I have been told not to trust that timeline. It says 11/2014 to 05/2015.
Old 04-26-2014, 4:56 PM

maybe togetherweserved.com
Old 05-06-2014, 7:01 PM
Banned

Received an initial rating of 10% today, VA is still waiting for follow up on the TBI.

Everything else denied. The funny thing is the VA states it is denied because "missed appointments" so they just decided to close that part of the claim and not deal with it (that is 7 out of the 9 claims they did this too) except i have never missed an appointment that i was notified by, oh ya, and for the last 5 months i have called the VA once a week (usually friday) to see if i am pending any appointments and if anything is waiting on me. they always say "no, your claim is in the bla stage, standard time so 10 months but this bla bla bla"

%10 ringing in ears
%0 for hearing loss (%60 left / %40 right)
-- pending TBI results

SO, like everyone says the VA low balls on initial results and then you need to dispute the results and refile, or they just **** everything up close parts of your claim because you miss appointments you were never notified of.....
Old 05-06-2014, 7:04 PM
Banned

oh yes and also i called the VA last friday 05/02/14 asking the status of my claim. The gal said it went to final review then kicked back for more information for the TBI doctor. The results i received today are stamped MAR 02 14.... soooo is anyone else as confused as i am right now....
Old 05-08-2014, 3:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Ebenfit gave me a timeline for my claim, but I have been told not to trust that timeline. It says 11/2014 to 05/2015.
that timeline is soooooo not accurate , mine updated once during the process to show "claim paperwork received" or something like that and thats it

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)WW1/WW2 45ACP Ammo
3)WW1 or WW2 era US Army 1911
Pre 1924 preferred (Not Arsenal Refinished)
Old 05-08-2014, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
that timeline is soooooo not accurate , mine updated once during the process to show "claim paperwork received" or something like that and thats it
Yeah I have been waiting like a month or so for a letter asking for more evidence. Kind of getting irritated with it. The VA really needs to take some steps and get their **** together in terms of paperwork. Most of all, I absolutely do not understand why in this age we have communication barriers between military and VA medical facilities.

2L Student. Nothing is legal advice, just simply my 2 cents worth of opinions.
Old 05-08-2014, 9:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimes View Post
Yeah I have been waiting like a month or so for a letter asking for more evidence. Kind of getting irritated with it. The VA really needs to take some steps and get their **** together in terms of paperwork. Most of all, I absolutely do not understand why in this age we have communication barriers between military and VA medical facilities.
This is all i am doing for the next year...

Old 05-08-2014, 2:12 PM

Stay in the fight Gent's!!!

It took the VA, TWO YEARS to add a depenent to my orginal claim!! WTF, OVER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDdawn6 View Post
The vagina is a self cleaning oven!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noob_tube View Post
I just railed this poll with ten different devices
Old 05-13-2014, 1:27 PM
Calguns Addict

update from anyone?
I am still waiting for my C&P exam..
Old 05-13-2014, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDawgJJ View Post
Stay in the fight Gent's!!!

It took the VA, TWO YEARS to add a depenent to my orginal claim!! WTF, OVER!
Currently waiting 9+ months on my dependent to be added
Old 05-14-2014, 3:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Currently on 3 months fight with my claim.... hoping it will end by end of this year.
Old 05-14-2014, 4:19 PM

Ohhhh Noooo! I got my final decision 2 months ago and started the process of adding my wife and kids... I was told 6-9 months. Well I was also told 1 year for my decision and it to 21 months...

Quick question: Do you get back pay for dependents from the beginning of your claim, or from the beginning of the process to add them?

Thanks

And to the guys and gals going through it, stick with it, keep copies of EVERYTHING, go to all appointments, and try to keep a good record of experiences how your disability has effected your life.

Old 05-16-2014, 8:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Will va claim go lot faster now due to veterans dying while waiting to see their doctors? Very sad, so sad...
Old 05-16-2014, 9:29 AM

I finally got my decision from the VA after 30 months of fighting. All I can say is hang in there guys. The only good thing, if one can say that, is that the back pay check came today, two days after getting the letter in the mail.
I know it sucks, but hang in there. I was rated at 70% when I was discharged and it took over two years to get an increase to 100%, stay in the fight.

Thank you guys for your service and good luck!
Old 05-16-2014, 1:43 PM
Calguns Addict

It seems like congress is finally firing some top brass in VA.. hope this will help our case.
Old 05-16-2014, 1:56 PM

I submitted my claim paperwork (and completed all medical appointments) in June of last year - still waiting for a determination letter.

Just think, now thanks to Obamacare the rest of the country gets to find out what government medical care is like.
Old 05-16-2014, 3:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsnet View Post
I submitted my claim paperwork (and completed all medical appointments) in June of last year - still waiting for a determination letter.

Just think, now thanks to Obamacare the rest of the country gets to find out what government medical care is like.
wow.... dealing with VA is asfjdklafjeijadkfaljdfl
Old 05-21-2014, 9:02 PM

RU tracking it on ebenefits.com? if not check in to an office and make sure they don't need a form signed
Old 06-22-2014, 10:00 PM
Calguns Addict

I have been sending my updated medical records once a month through ebenefits upload document feature. Hope it does something positive
Old 06-23-2014, 10:30 PM

I actually went through the DAV to do my claim.

In memory of Rogelio Antonio Ramirez, August 26th 2007
Saqlawiyah Iraq

"most people quick to go to war haven't seen it."-
unknown

Check out my YouTube page
http://www.youtube.com/user/DJCBX/videos
Old 06-24-2014, 3:56 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks, I need to go to that event...
Old 06-26-2014, 4:28 PM

I'm a little late to the party, but here's my experience...

I got out of the Navy at the end of June 2011. I had submitted my VA claim with the CA Dept of Veteran's Affairs at the beginning of the month as everyone (VA counselors, DAV counselors, etc.) I talked to in VA (where I was stationed) told me to wait till I got to where I was going to work as a civilian to make the claim. I had a month of terminal leave, so I filed the claim right when I got onto it.

I got the normal letters from the VA, apologizing about being slow, blah blah blah...They couldn't find my medical record, so I sent them a copy (and got the return receipt!) And then, a couple months later, they couldn't find it...again. And then........again. Luckily, I kept all my return receipts, as they came in handy later...

FINALLY, in October 2012, I got notified that I had appointments for my hearing test and physical. This was 16 months after I put in my claim...and now things were just getting started! Luckily for me, I did the hearing test the same day as the physical, and wouldn't you know it...I got to the physical and the idiots had scheduled it for the SAME TIME as the hearing test...and they were 15 miles apart! AGH!

So I then had to wait a month for another physical (from what I've heard, that's not a bad wait, actually...)

Anyway, I finally get the physical wrapped up in November 2012. Now I was free and clear...right?

I sat there, checking my status on eBenefits and sure enough, they lost my medical record...AGAIN. So I sent it to them AGAIN.

I watched, for no apparent reason, the date of completion stretch from March 2014 (note this is January 2013) to December 2014, then all the way out to November 2016! SERIOUSLY???

In February 2013, I ended up in the hospital for something that had carried over from being in the military and I had to pay out of pocket for the treatment. While it didn't really break the bank, I was still pissed off. So, in my medicated and pissed off mood, I wrote my congressman. That, of course, flew in the face of everything I was trained to do after 13 years in the Navy: "Trust the military..." "Never write your congressman..."

Anyway, on eBenefits, my status went into "special holding", and a month and a half later, I was at work when a heavy packet showed up in the mail. My wife opened it, and sure enough...my entire VA claim was complete; disability determined, and they thanked me for my patience!

I often think about what would have happened if I hadn't of written my congressman...and just what the heck his staffers did to get the VA off their collective hindquarters. I don't have a clue...but whatever it was, IT WORKED!

We're now going through the process with my wife (she is also a veteran). She's in the same kind of limbo, though oddly, she got part of her physical done very quickly...and then...it's been crickets for the rest of the claim. Really odd...we're not quite sure what to make of it. We're only about a year into the claim process though and look forward to seeing how this one progresses...

Dave
Old 06-26-2014, 4:31 PM

Oh, I should note that when I wrote to my congressman, the letter was eight pages long and there were 12 enclosures...to include all the certified return receipts. I made the VA look positively incompetent (wasn't hard, but I went into complete overkill...) I think it was the 40+ pages of detail that I sent his way that put my request over the top...
Old 06-28-2014, 10:48 AM
Calguns Addict

So never write letter to your congressman or woman?
Old 06-28-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
So never write letter to your congressman or woman?
That's what we were always told in the military (of course, my final job was handling congressional inquiries on an admiral's staff...) However, as a civilian, the world is different...my congressman's intervention saved a year plus of me screwing with the VA...or more. Like I said, I had a pretty good case and the VA looked like a bunch of buffoons...and it had already been almost 2 years (19 months) at that point...but writing my congressman definitely helped!

Dave
Old 06-28-2014, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

I wrote letter to my congresman few months ago and noting happened for me. Basically hurry up and wait status m
Old 06-28-2014, 3:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Just sent my hardship evidence to VA regional office... hoping for the best now. let's see how long this will take.
Old 06-29-2014, 3:34 AM

I separated 8/2012. Submitted 7/2013. Had an initial determination around Christmas that year of 50%, then disputed and received a final of 70% around March. I'll get the exact dates when I can dig them up if anyone wants. For some reason mine was one of the fastest and smoothest claims I've heard of.
Old 06-29-2014, 6:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Must be nice, my claim has been under review since February of this year and still waiting.