Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-28-2012, 7:50 PM

Default Everything MK 12 (SPR Proto 1, SPR Proto 2, Mk 12 Mod 0 and Mk 12 Mod 1)

This thread is for the discussion of the MK12 SPR. There are technically 4 or 5 versions including the prototypes depending on who you talk too.

Other forums have these threads in length and I think it is about time Calguns gets on it. If you have a MK12 post up the specs and pics to share with others. A true MK12 clone is can be very expensive if you do it per the original build. If you are building up a MK 12 please understand it is different than just a SPR build.

My personal belief of a MK12 Mod 0 build, at a minimum is:

-Barrel: Douglas 18" 416 stainless steel 1/7
-Sights:PRI flip up front gas block front sight , PRI Flip up rear sight
-rifle length gas system
-PRI Gas Buster charging handle with big latch
-OPS inc brake and collar
-PRI Gen III Rifle length carbon fiber free float forearm
-PRI Gen III SPR PEQ Top Rail

As you can see from above, I believe the most important true build of a MK 12 MOD 0 is to keep the upper true to the original.

Here is some background from wiki & other sources:

Background

The SPR, used by Special Operations Forces of both the U.S. Army and U.S. Navy, is a heavily modified light designated marksman variation of the AR-15/M16 line of infantry weapons, and is chambered for NATO standard 5.56x45mm ammunition. The SPR concept was originally proposed by Mark Westrom, currently president of ArmaLite, while working at Rock Island Arsenal. The program was an outgrowth of the desire by both US Army and Navy special operations forces for a rifle with greater effective range than an M4 carbine but still shorter in length than a standard issue M16A2/A4. The SPR program appears to have grown out of both the SOPMOD Block II program, and the U.S. Navy SEALs Recon Rifle (a 16" flat-topped M16 carbine). The Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division expanded on the Recon Rifle.[citation needed]
The exact history of the SPR is unclear, but there appear to be either four or five prime iterations of the weapon, culminating in the most recent Mk 12 Mod 1 version. One progression has four models: SPR Proto 1, SPR Proto 2, Mk 12 Mod 0 and Mk 12 Mod 1. The other progression has five models: SPR, SPR/A, SPR/B, Mk 12 Mod 0, and Mk 12 Mod 1. The specifications in this article follow the second progression.
Different U.S. military service branches appear to typically deploy different iterations of the SPR. Photographs, including both U.S. Department of Defense photographs and privately-obtained photographs, consistently show most U.S. Army Special Forces operators using the Mk 12 Mod 0, while NAVSPECWAR operators and U.S. Army Rangers have been identified as using the Mk 12 Mod 1 version.[1][2] In fact, Marcus Luttrell mentioned the fact that he carried a MK 12 during Operation Red Wings several times in his 2007 book Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10. Limited use was seen with the USMC

Specifications

Upper Receiver: The majority of the SPR upper receivers were initially supplied by Colt, with others being produced by Colt Canada (then Diemaco). Colt had been outsourcing parts of its production to Diemaco for several years, then purchased Diemaco in February 2005. It is unclear whether the upper receivers for the later SPRs came solely from ArmaLite, or were a mix of receivers from ArmaLite and Colt/Diemaco. All of these upper receivers are flat-topped, but have been seen with either the old-style teardrop forward assist or the newer round style.
Lower Receiver: When the SPR program was still just an upper receiver assembly (and not a complete rifle), Crane assembled all of its prototypes using either M16A1 or M4A1 lower receivers. It is unknown whether this pattern continued as the rifle evolved. There is also some issue about whether, when the Navy type-classified the weapon, Precision Reflex Incorporated (PRI) began assembling the rifles themselves. While a number of trigger options were tried in the end, the Knight's Armament Company (KAC) 2-stage trigger was finally decided upon as the standard.
Barrel: An 18-inch (457 mm) threaded-muzzle match-grade free floating stainless steel heavy barrel with a 1:7 (178 mm) rifling twist ratio is standard for the SPR. The barrels are manufactured by Douglas Barrels with a special contour to maximize accuracy and to minimize weight. An OPS Inc. muzzle brake and collar (to align the OPS Inc. 12th Model Suppressor) is installed with the barrel. These barrels were designed to take advantage of the new Mk 262 cartridge, which uses a 77-grain (5 g) bullet.
Buttstock: SPRs have been seen with M16A1 or M16A2 fixed buttstocks, telescoping M4 buttstocks, and the Crane Enhanced telescoping buttstock. The rifles are compatible with any type of stock system developed for the M16.
Handguards: In all cases a free-floating forearm is used, which does not touch the barrel directly. This increases the accuracy of the weapon by removing vibration and pressure exerted on the barrel by the rest of the gun. The first SPRs used PRI Gen I or Gen II carbon-fiber free-float tubes. The SPR/A, SPR/B, and Mk 12 Mod 1 all use the Knights Armament Company M4 Match Free-Floating Rail Adapter System. The Mk 12 Mod 0 uses PRI Gen III free-float tubes. The Gen I and Gen II Freefloat Forearms are combined with the Atlantic Research Marketing Systems #38 SPR MOD Sleeve, while the Gen III Freefloat Forearm, due to its it larger barrel nut, only works with the ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3.
Sights: The original SPR used an early PRI flip-up front sight with an elevation dial, which has since been discontinued. The Mk 12 Mod 0 uses the current PRI flip-up front sight. The SPR/A, SPR/B, and Mk 12 Mod 1 use the KAC rail foreend flip-up front sight. The SPR and Mk 12 Mod 0 use the ARMS #40 flip up rear sight. The rest of the models use the KAC 600 meter flip up rear.
Optics: Due to the relative modularity of the system, optics (as well as almost everything else) can be mounted according to the operator's wishes. However, SPRs are most often seen with a 3.51040 mm Leupold LR M3 (SPR/A), a 2.5936 mm TS-30 (SPR/B), or a 3936 mm TS-30 A2 (Mk 12 Mod 0/1) Mid Range/Tactical Illuminated Reticle Dayscope. Night vision devices can also be attached. These scopes usually come with flip open dust covers and a honeycomb anti-glare anti-reflection device. Given Nightforce Optics' NAVSPECWAR contract, it is believed that many NAVSPECWAR issued SPRs will use the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 NXS scope.[4]
Mounts: A long accessory rail, called a SWAN Sleeve (ARMS SPR MOD or ARMS #38 SPR PEQ-2-3), manufactured by ARMS, is installed, running the length of the rifle. The SPR/A and SPR/B both used the KAC M4 Match FF RAS. Two ARMS #22 Throwlever 30 mm steel rings are used to mount the dayscope. The SPR/A, SPR/B, and Mk 12 Mod 1 use ARMS #22 high rings, while due to the increased height from the SWAN Sleeve, the SPR and Mk 12 Mod 0 use ARMS #22 medium rings. An under-the-handguard ARMS #32 Throwlever mount is used to mount the Harris bipod (the ARMS #42 Throwlever mount is used to mount the Versa-Pod); this features a quick release action.
Bipod: Originally Versa-Pods (a cheaper Chinese-made copy of the relatively expensive Parker-Hale swivel bipod) were used, but were taken off the system after the initial SPR. Currently, a Harris swivel model bipod is typically used with the SPR, and is sometimes seen with a KMW Pod-Loc tension adjustment device. As mentioned above, the bipod is mounted via a ARMS #32 throwlever device attached to the bottom rail of the rifle's forearm. The ARMS mount is used on both the Mod 0 and Mod 1.
Suppressor: The OPS Inc. 12th Model SPR Muzzle Brake Suppressor threads directly onto the OPS Inc. muzzle brake and uses the collar to stay centered.
Ammunition: The SPR is not used to fire standard issue 5.56mm M855A1 or M193 ball or M856 tracer ammunition. Due to the limits in terminal performance and relatively poor accuracy of the 62-grain (4 g) M855 ball, the Mk 262 Open Tip Match (OTM) round was developed as a more accurate round for the SPR, and manufactured by Black Hills Ammunition. The first production batches were designated Mk 262 Mod 0 and used a Sierra Bullets MatchKing 77-grain (5 g) Hollow Point Boat Tail bullet without a cannelure (crimping groove). Black Hills then approached the Nosler bullet manufacturing company, who made a similar 77 gr (5.0 g) OTM bullet, and Nosler agreed to supply cannelured bullets to Black Hills. The newer load was designated Mk 262 Mod 1. Recently, Sierra added a minimal crimp to its bullet, and this has since replaced the Nosler bullet in the current versions of Mk 262 Mod 1.

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 10-28-2012, 8:05 PM

MK12 Mod 0 Build
Barrel: Douglas 18" 416 stainless steel 1/7
PRI flip up front gas block front sight
PRI Flip up rear sight,
rifle length gas tube
PRI Gas Buster charging handle with big latch
OPS inc brake and collar
PRI Gen III Rifle length carbon fiber free float forearm
PRI Gen III SPR PEQ Top Rail

Stuff missing

Glass
A.R.M.S Inc. #22 medium rings
A.R.M.S Inc #32 Bi-pod adapter
Ops Inc. 12th Model

The lower in the pics is not the final. Just put it on there for picture purposes.

DarkSkySolutions.com

Last edited by Dark Sky Solutions; 10-28-2012 at 9:37 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 5:47 PM

No love for the MK12?

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 10-29-2012, 6:29 PM
Veteran Member

There's love nice build.
Old 10-29-2012, 7:28 PM

A lot of discussion and pictures that you are looking for is already here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=192712.

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 10-29-2012, 7:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCrazyJ View Post
No love for the MK12?
Lol, had to take new pics, just finished uploading them. Finally got my forward assist, so aside from an optics upgrade at some undetermined time (Whenever my 308 upper sells ), it's about 99% complete.

Although not a true to spec MK 12 Mod 0, this one was heavily inspired by the Mod 0. Substitutions were made to add a "Delta" theme to the build, such as the forend and buttstock. The Proprietary rail for the Delta forend was substituted in place of the SPR PEQ rail, which I feel is an upgrade because it will allow easier mounting of picatinny based NV devices later on. When budget permits, I plan on adding an ATN PS-22 or PS-40 to this rifle for night shooting. Keeping in mind the low magnification requirements for those devices (6X or less), future optics will most likely be FFP design to maintain calibration of the reticle at reduced magnification.

Build Specs:
-Upper Receiver: DS Arms
-Barrel: Bergara 18" Stainless SPR contour w/ 1:8 twist (From PRI)
-Forend: Precision Reflex Gen III Delta (Rifle Length)
-BCG: R-Guns Nib coated M-16
-CH: BCM Gunfighter Mod 3 (New version designed for suppressors)
-Optics: FM Optics 4-14X44 FFP Mil Dot (Temporary)
-Mounts/Rings: PRI Gen III Delta Top Rail w/ UTG medium height QD rings
-Gas Block/FS: PRI Folding Front Sight w/ RRA Melonite gas tube
-Rear Sight: ARMS #71 folding rear sight (Polymer)
-Muzzle: Ops Inc. 12th brake and Collar assembly
-Misc: DPMS Teardrop Forward Assist.
-Pending: Noveske and PRI QD Sling Swivel mounts

-Lower Receiver: Spikes Tactical "Punisher"
-Grip: Sierra Precision
-Trigger: PSA single stage, worked over via "30 minute trigger job"
-Buttstock: MAGS EFX-A1 Fixed Stock

-Sling: Home built 2 point sling with sewn in QD swivels

Pics:

Old 10-29-2012, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I built one couple months ago complete with the ops inc 12th can. I'll post pics tomorrow
Old 10-29-2012, 8:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
A lot of discussion and pictures that you are looking for is already here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=192712.
I believe the intention with this thread is to keep it more along the lines of the actual military spec MK 12, as many of the builds in the SPR thread you linked stray pretty far from the original layout of the Mod 0 and Mod 1. Nice builds in there for sure, but not MK 12s. I think I'm actually stretching it a bit far by posting my build in here even.
Old 10-29-2012, 8:06 PM

I love those builds, my version is a 18"SS Noveske barrel, LaRue 12" rail, Ops Inc MB, LaRue SPR mount with SS 3x9 scope or U.S. Optics SN-4, KAC BUIS, LMT Lower with 2 stage trigger or Frankenstein lower JD, UBR, Geissele, DD LPK.
I purchased the PRI gasblock flip up sight and have never used it, decide not to go with the PRI FF forend. Can't remember exactly why, maybe parts scarcity when I built it.
It is accurate with the 77grain Black hills, ammo. Extremely accurate ! Need to add Vltor MUR UR with forward assist.

Last edited by fcr; 10-31-2012 at 12:00 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 9:14 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
I built one couple months ago complete with the ops inc 12th can. I'll post pics tomorrow
Damn, you get all the cool toys. I think I'm in the wrong career path, LOL.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the Ops 12th can. Getting a suppressor is one of the first things I plan on doing once I retire and leave CA.
Old 10-29-2012, 9:19 PM

i need to put some pics up eventually, but I have one pretty close to spec.
proper mk12mod1 with the hard to find nxs compact 2.5-10x24 mil spec scope (nvd compatible)
Only thing im missing is the arms rings (hate em, using adm mount) and the knights sling mount with blackhawk sling.
using A1 buttstock and solar tactical wrap.
Old 10-29-2012, 9:41 PM

Quote:
My 12th Model is on order. It is being shipped to my free state. I can't wait to get it. Glad you got yours all ready!

Doc

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 10-29-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
I believe the intention with this thread is to keep it mores along the lines of the actual military spec MK 12, as many of the builds in the SPR thread you linked stray pretty far from the original layout of the Mod 0 and Mod 1. Nice builds in there for sure, but not MK 12s. I think I'm actually stretching it a bit far by posting my build in here even.
You are correct sir. I have read the entire other thread that was linked. I started this thread cause I wanted to have a dedicated thread to the MK12 mods. There are many different versions of an SPR but in my view the MK12 is the true "SPR".

Just figured we should have a dedicated thread for everything MK12

FMJBT, I think your MK12 inspired build is the closest thing to a truly inspired build of the MK12. I like the delta on the front end. It makes it look a bit futuristic. What color did u spray it?

Doc

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 10-30-2012, 6:47 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
FMJBT, I think your MK12 inspired build is the closest thing to a truly inspired build of the MK12. I like the delta on the front end. It makes it look a bit futuristic. What color did u spray it?

Doc
Thanks Doc. The color is a 50/50 mixture of Duracoat colors Magpul FDE and Desert Mirage Brown. Eventually I may go in with some lighter and darker shades with a sponge and finish it off in an A-TACS style camo. I'm going to wait until I finalize the optics on it first before I do any more painting though.
Old 10-30-2012, 8:19 AM
Veteran Member

FMJBT your rifle is nasty....
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

My build:
Douglas Mk12 Barrel
Daniel Defense bcg and upper (still trying to find the best way to scrub logos)
Noveske Lower
KAC 2 Stage trigger
Colt Buffer tube and stock
Knights RAS
ARMS Bipod mount
Harris Bipod w/ab lock
Knights BUIS
Knights QD sling point (I know it shouldn't be qd)
Ops Collar and 12th model
Knights gas block
Leupold Mk4 2.5-8 Mildot Illum
Mil-spec Bullet button
209 833-9100
For sales Questions please email Sales@tracyrifleandpistol.com
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

That looks awesome Mike. I like the single piece KAC mount on there. Typically you see them with individual ARMS rings that don't quite work as far as getting the scope in a good spot.
Old 10-30-2012, 2:28 PM

Ok, fine then:

I enjoy the premise of the MK12 Mod 0/1 rifle so I cloned it, but made slight changes for my style (and wallet).

Holds MOA to 600 yards with a stiff load of Varget, 77/80 SMKs, LC09 brass, and Remington 7 1/2 primers.

BCM MK12 Mod 0 Upper
12th Model Brake and Collar
Geisselle Service Rifle
PRI rail
ARMS rear
Bushnell 3-12x44 Mil/Mil FFP

For the Learned Rifleman

Last edited by RugerNo1; 10-30-2012 at 2:36 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 2:38 PM

Quote:
My build:
Douglas Mk12 Barrel
Daniel Defense bcg and upper (still trying to find the best way to scrub logos)
Noveske Lower
KAC 2 Stage trigger
Colt Buffer tube and stock
Knights RAS
ARMS Bipod mount
Harris Bipod w/ab lock
Knights BUIS
Knights QD sling point (I know it shouldn't be qd)
Ops Collar and 12th model
Knights gas block
Leupold Mk4 2.5-8 Mildot Illum
Mil-spec Bullet button
That sir is an excellent mod 1 build!!!

Quote:
Ok, fine then:

Holds MOA to 600 yards with a stiff load of Varget, 77/80 SMKs, LC09 brass, and Remington 7 1/2 primers.

BCM MK12 Mod 0 Upper
Geisselle Service Rifle
PRI rail
ARMS rear

Very nice mod 0 build. I can't wait to get my glass!!!

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 10-30-2012, 2:52 PM
Veteran Member

Centurion Arms Upper, built to the specs by Monty LeClair.
KAC BUIS
Nightforce 2.5-10X24 NP-R2 with Zero Stop.

Last edited by t0kie; 10-30-2012 at 2:54 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 3:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ok, fine then:

I enjoy the premise of the MK12 Mod 0/1 rifle so I cloned it, but made slight changes for my style (and wallet).

BCM MK12 Mod 0 Upper
Geisselle Service Rifle
PRI rail
ARMS rear

Nice!

That scope is currently at the top of my list of potential optics for my build. I cant decide between BTR Mil illuminated reticle, or the non illuminated G2DMR reticle version. How do you like yours?
Old 10-30-2012, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Nice!

That scope is currently at the top of my list of potential optics for my build. I cant decide between BTR Mil illuminated reticle, or the non illuminated G2DMR reticle version. How do you like yours?
Mine is a discontinued 3-12x44 before the change to the new Elite line. It was replaced by a Nightforce on my Tikka 595, but the glass was perfectly usable out to 1000 yards.

If I were to get one today, I would get the HDMR with G2DMR. Illumination is a non-issue for me.

For the Learned Rifleman

Last edited by RugerNo1; 10-30-2012 at 5:07 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 5:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just when I decided I wasnt going to build an SPR you guys post this!

Two questions:

-Howmuch are the Mod 0 clones weighing in at?
and
- Besides the extra rail estate, what is the benefit of the mod1 over the mod0?
I have red numerous criticisms of the mod1 in regards to optic mounting

TIA

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 10-30-2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post

Two questions:

and

TIA
I have never weighed mine, but with scope and bipod it weighs close to my NRA Service Rifle upper without the lead weight in the stock compartment. Perhaps 9-12 pounds? I am terrible at guessing weight though. My A2 configuration for NRA Highpower weighs in at 15 pounds with the 3.6 pounds of lead in the stock so...

The Mod 1 is supposed to be a lighter rifle with more rails for all your heart's desired tactical doo-dads.

For the Learned Rifleman

Last edited by RugerNo1; 10-30-2012 at 5:17 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 5:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Thanks for the info! I honestly figured the mod0 would weigh less than a full rail.
Old 10-30-2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0kie View Post
Centurion Arms Upper, built to the specs by Monty LeClair.
KAC BUIS
Nightforce 2.5-10X24 NP-R2 with Zero Stop.
Nice, I do believe that is a true MK12 Mod 1 Clone per the looks on your Stag lower. Very nice build

Quote:

Two questions:

and

TIA

I just weighed mine as it came No Bipod, glass or mounts it weighs in at 6 lbs 5.5 oz including BCG and PRI Gas Buster and front/rear sights. Generally the MK12 Mod 0 weighs in at around 10 lb, Fully loaded, w/heavy barrel, optic & 30 rounds

-Besides the extra rail estate, what is the benefit of the mod1 over the mod0? Personally I don't like the "extra Real estate on my stuff. Why have extra real-estate? do you really want to add more weight to it?

MARK 12 MOD O SPR

By Tom Beckstrand

Where Crane, the Creator of the MK 12, should have left well enough alone.
When the Global War on Terror (GWOT) started after 9/11, our nation’s Special Operations Forces took to the field armed with M9 pistols, M4 carbines, M24 bolt-action sniper rifles and M249 and M240 machine guns.
Some units were carrying Knight’s Armament SR-25s and Accuracy International AWM .338 Lapua Magnum sniper rifles. We had a handle on sniper rifles and machine guns, but we had one hell of an operational seam laying between our M4 carbine and the sniper rifles.
A seam occurs when there‘s a gap in one’s capabilities, a place where we lack the appropriate tools to effectively engage the enemy. The M4 works well for general running-and-gunning duties out to about 200 meters. Generally equipped with a holographic or red dot sight, the M4 is a wise choice for every man on the team.
When we stretch the distance past 200 meters, our choices (at least in the fall of 2001) quickly became limited. We could either put a scope on an M4 and hope the approximately two-MOA rack- grade accuracy was up to the task, or we could grab and/or carry an additional sniper rifle for those times when we wanted to reach out and touch someone. Neither option is a great choice.
Our nation’s Special Operations Forces quickly identified this seam in our capabilities and moved to correct the problem. The Naval Special Warfare Center, Crane Division, led the charge. Crane, with the input of our special operations soldiers, determined that an accurized 5.56mm platform was in order and that such a rifle could cover the seam in our capabilities.
THE SPR’S GREATEST STRENGTH
The greatest improvement that the SPR has over a traditional M4 is the barrel. The barrel is made by Douglas Barrels and is an 18-inch, button-rifled 1:7 twist with a rifle-length gas system. Douglas also only uses its premium barrels for the Mk 12. No barrel is ever perfectly straight, but the premium barrels on the Mk 12 are the straightest ones Douglas has and are probably much straighter than anything on a factory-produced rifle.

Douglas is well known in the custom- barrel-maker industry, and it’s rare to see a true custom barrel used on an AR- pattern rifle. This is why we’ll probably never see the Mk 12 mass-produced; the barrels are just too few in number to ever produce them in great quantity. Douglas ranks with Broughton, Pac-Nor and Shilen as the most distinguished button-rifled barrel makers in the industry. Broughton, Douglas and Shilen have all been around long enough to have multiple benchrest and F-class titles under their belts, a sure indicator of the barrel’s potential.
The Douglas barrel on the SPR also has a rifle-length gas system. The long gas system offers a couple of substantial advantages over shorter- length systems. The first and greatest advantage is that it has substantially lower port pressure than carbine- or mid-length gas systems.
As a bullet passes down the bore, the pressure behind the projectile drops because the volume the gas has to fill is increasing. The closer the gas port is to the chamber of the barrel, the higher the pressure at the port will be. Pushing the gas port of the Mk 12 all the way down to a rifle-length system means it will have the lowest pressure possible for an AR-pattern rifle.
Port pressure matters because it determines how fast the bolt and bolt carrier cycle and operate. When we first started experimenting with carbine- length systems, we found that the extractor needed some modification to handle the increased cycling speed of the carbine system as a result of its much higher port pressure. The higher pressure made the bolt carrier and bolt move faster, and that increased speed caused the extractor to fail. Hence the birth of the SOPMOD kit that puts the little rubber donut around the extractor spring to give it the additional resilience against wear.
Fast bolt issues have largely been fixed with the carbine-length gas system, and they make for supremely reliable guns. However, I still think it’s a good idea to shoot the longest gas system possible. A slow bolt is a happy bolt. It will last longer and give you fewer problems in the long run. The SPR has the longest-length gas system possible, to give the shooter the least maintenance-intensive firearm that will run for the longest amount of time.

SHOULD HAVE QUIT WHILE THEY WERE AHEAD

Crane did an excellent job with the SPR program when it created the SPR Mod 0 variant. This is the variant that we had on my first Special Forces team, and it was a popular rifle among my teammates. The Mod 0 variant I received for review features PRI’s Gen III 121/2-inch free-float fore-end.
The PRI fore-end has plenty of length for positional shooting and still leaves enough space for the addition of sling swivel mounts, lasers and night-vision equipment. The SPR fore-end also has a continuous top rail that makes it possible to mount a scope in traditional rings forward enough to give the shooter proper eye relief. Made of carbon fiber, aluminum and steel, it is an excellent combination of light weight and strength.
The round shape of the fore-end is definitely the way to go for a rifle destined for combat use. Round fore- ends tend to be much slimmer than the traditional quad rail, even before we slap rail covers all over the quad rail to keep it from biting into the support hand when using a sling or carrying the rifle for extended periods of time. The PRI fore-end has comfort, light weight and strength; it’s a winning combination for the Mod 0.
Then Crane screwed up with Mod 1. Sigh (I wish you could see me rolling my eyes as I write this). The big problem with the Mod 1 is the hand-guard. Crane went to the Knight’s Armament Rail Adaptor System (RAS) and lost the continuous top rail that came with the Mod 0 (one of its many strengths) and the slim and comfortable round fore-end. The PRI fore-end was greatly superior.
I don’t know why Crane went to the KAC fore-end, other than Crane must have some kind of special relationship with KAC. If you look at pictures of soldiers carrying the Mk 12 in combat, pay attention to how they mount their scopes on the Mod 0 versus the Mod 1. (You can find a lot of sweet action photos on mk12.net.)

Most of the scopes that soldiers mount on their rifles are in traditional scope rings because that’s what they’re issued. Scopes mounted on the Mod 0 take advantage of the continuous top rail and place the scope well forward of the seam that exists where the upper receiver and fore-end meet. The Mod 0 has a continuous top rail, so this is no problem. The continuous top rail will let a soldier do whatever he wants, optics-wise.
Now look at the pics of guys carrying the Mod 1. In those photos you’ll see the forward ring mounted all the way forward on the upper receiver and the turrets of the scope mashed all the way forward into the back of that ring. This is because the traditional quad rail will not allow the proper eye relief without a cantilevered mount. A good cantilevered mount will run about $200. That’s a lot of money to a soldier, so they make do with what they are issued and put up with the improper eye relief.
The Mk 12 Mod 0 represents the pinnacle of the SPR design as it was fielded. The great barrel, superb fore-end and continuous top rail all combine to make for an exceptionally user-friendly rifle.
The Mod 1 took a huge leap backward, but it still held on to the Douglas barrel and all of its goodness. While less than optimal, the Mod 1 is still relevant on today’s battlefield.

AN SPR WAR STORY
When I was deployed to Afghanistan, my first exposure to the SPR was my most memorable. It was an early- morning raid on a suspected Taliban hideout where we expected to find five to eight Taliban members.
Our plan required a member of the assault force, our senior weapons sergeant, to move through the target compounds with the assault element, then up onto some high ground behind the target where he could provide over- watch during the detailed search that would follow the assault. The weapons sergeant selected the SPR Mod 0 as his gun of choice.
The reason the SPR is a valuable firearm to our soldiers is that it is small and light enough to be used as a traditional carbine for house-to-house action, yet still allows the shooter to reach out to 400 to 500 meters should the need arise. Our early- morning raid was just one of many such times the SPR was called upon to perform as it was envisioned and designed.
The raid went very well. We stumbled upon many more Taliban than we initially expected (we came across between 40 and 60), but the darkness and other factors played to our advantage. Chris, the weapons sergeant, had his hands full that morning (as we all did), but at the end of the three-hour battle he was unharmed and smiling contentedly with his SPR. He engaged multiple Taliban both within and without the target structures at distances ranging from a few feet to 300 meters. That’s what the SPR was designed for, and it performed magnificently.

TIME ON THE GUN
I enjoyed the SPR Mod 0 upper that I received from PRI to review for this article; shooting the upper brought back a lot of good memories. The SPR is one of the softest-shooting ARs out there, due mostly to the excellent muzzle brake and the rifle-length gas system. The SPR makes rapidly engaging multiple targets at long distance possible, thanks in large part to the almost nonexistent recoil.
The PRI SPR I fired exhibited exceptional accuracy, and I felt like I was the limiting factor, not the rifle. The SPR’s best five-shot groups at 100 yards came from Hornady’s 55-grain A-Max, at .58 inch. Hornady 75-grain TAP came in at .7 inch, and the Black Hills 77-grain BTHP grouped at .91 inch.
I’m sure that the rifle is capable of much more—some days at the range are just better than others.
While the military occasionally makes some bone-headed decisions with its firearms, it delivered an exceptional product with the SPR, thanks in large part to the folks at PRI. If you’re looking for a premium upper capable of handling trouble from the muzzle out to whatever range you’re comfortable with, in terms of terminal ballistics, look no further than an SPR Mod 0.

DarkSkySolutions.com

Last edited by Dark Sky Solutions; 10-30-2012 at 5:40 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 6:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Mine is a discontinued 3-12x44 before the change to the new Elite line. It was replaced by a Nightforce on my Tikka 595, but the glass was perfectly usable out to 1000 yards.

If I were to get one today, I would get the HDMR with G2DMR. Illumination is a non-issue for me.
I really like the new HDMR scopes. They seem to pack in a lot of useful features and some great reticle designs for a very reasonable price. The only thing stopping me from going that rout is the overall weight at 33 ounces, and the limited availability of 34mm QD rings. Keeping it at a 30mm tube makes it a lot simpler (and cheaper) to mount.

I think the G2DMR reticle is pretty much perfect for an SPR rifle. Easy to use for ranging and dialing in to the target, or in a hurry you can just use it for holdovers. I tend to shoot with holdovers anyway, so that reticle has a lot of appeal to me. I like that the even numbered mil hash marks are marked. With a standard mil reticle, once you find yourself having to hold more than about 4 or 5 mils for elevation, it's pretty easy to get lost and forget which hash mark to hold with.
Old 10-30-2012, 6:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Nice, I do believe that is a true MK12 Mod 1 Clone per the looks on your Stag lower. Very nice build

Thanks, I do want it to be as close to the original minus some parts that we cannot get as reg. civilian such as: Colt lower, Can & the authentic sling that I couldn't get it anymore. The scope is long no longer available & the hardest to find when I built mine.
I did change some parts after that to my liking, such as: the scope mount I changed it to LaRue LT104 SPR, pistol grip to Magpul, QD adapter & sling to Gear Sector, bipod to Atlas Bipod.
Old 10-30-2012, 7:04 PM
Veteran Member

MK11 Mod0?
Old 10-30-2012, 9:35 PM

This is my first attempt at posting a photo, yes it isn't very good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (48.5 KB, 4604 views)
Old 10-30-2012, 9:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcr View Post

Looks great!
Old 10-31-2012, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcr View Post
I concur, Great MK12 Mod 1 Build.

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 10-31-2012, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Two questions:

and

TIA
I can't seem to find my digital fishing scale, but I got curius so I stepped on the trusty bathroom scale with and without my SPR. My rifle adds about 11.5 to 12 pounds to my weight according to the scale, which feels about right. Keep in mind I'm using a scope that weighs 27 ounces as well as a buttstock that is about 1/2 pound heavier than a standard A2 stock. Although minimal in appearance, the MAGS EFX-A1 stock is built extremely solid. Aside from the storage compartment and hole for the buffer tube, the rest of the stock is solid, dense plastic. With a lighter weight optic (<20 ounces) and an A2 or SOPMOD stock, the weight would be closer to 10.5 pounds minus ammo.

I think there is a misconception regarding the PRI Carbon Fiber forends and their weight. The carbon fiber on these is not the thin stuff you find on free float tubes from AP customs or DPMS, the PRI stuff is almost 1/8" thick. These are built for ruggedness and insulation from heat more than weight reduction. Weight for the Gen III round forend with rail sections is 16.5 onces. The Gen III Delta is slightly less at 15 ounces. Add about 8 ounces for the SPR PEQ rail and the weight ends up being slightly more than the 19 ounces of the KAC RAS Free Float on the Mod 1. I'm not sure if the listed weight for the KAC rail includes the obligatory rail covers or not. If not, I imagine those would add about 4 ounces or so, making the weight difference between the two systems pretty insignificant.

IMHO, the largest benefits of the PRI Gen III forend are the added rigidity and superior optics mounting platform provided by the monolithic top rail, and the non heat conductive properties of its carbon fiber construction. Concerning the mounting of night vision optics especially, the monolithic top rail will result in a more precise and consistent alignment between the daylight optic and night vision device than the KAC rail which would be prone to flexing/shifting at the barrel nut.
Old 10-31-2012, 9:15 PM

Quote:

IMHO, the largest benefits of the PRI Gen III forend are the added rigidity and superior optics mounting platform provided by the monolithic top rail, and the non heat conductive properties of its carbon fiber construction. Concerning the mounting of night vision optics especially, the monolithic top rail will result in a more precise and consistent alignment between the daylight optic and night vision device than the KAC rail which would be prone to flexing/shifting at the barrel nut.
I couldn't agree more...

Plus I think they are damn sexy!!!!!!!

Sent from my IPad so... Ease off the spelling

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 11-01-2012, 9:11 AM

Thanks guys and Thanks for the help posting the pic. I really wanted a Mod 0 when I started. Now all this talk has me thinking of putting another upper together with the PRI forend. I have to resist the force.
Old 11-01-2012, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Default Reloading: Cloning the Mk 262

Reading through the reloading section, found this post by W.E.G. concerning load data for clones of the Mk 262 77 grain OTM round:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&postcount=178

It should go without saying, don't take the info in the above post as gospel. Every rifle is different, and what works well in one may grenade in another. Start a few grains light and work loads up in small increments. Check often for pressure signs.

I've found that the info in the linked post is very useful for reference during load workups. Good info for selecting powder to use, or for load data to help find the optimal load for powder you may already have.
Old 11-01-2012, 2:11 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah I tried cloning BH MK round last year, its really hard to reproduce their listed velocity. They must use some special blend of powder.
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 11-07-2012, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21SF View Post
Yeah I tried cloning BH MK round last year, its really hard to reproduce their listed velocity. They must use some special blend of powder.
I have a friend who is hooking me up with his recipe for a by 77gr. I will post up results when I can get to reloading it and test it out

Sent from my IPad so... Ease off the spelling

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 11-07-2012, 6:29 PM

My friend just finished building one from Bravo Company. The Mk12 is a beautiful rifle but if its for long range and its a 556. Not hatin or anything lol, but why not one in 308 like a Mk11? Just wondering.
Old 11-07-2012, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
My friend just finished building one from Bravo Company. The Mk12 is a beautiful rifle but if its for long range and its a 556. Not hatin or anything lol, but why not one in 308 like a Mk11? Just wondering.
Because the Mk12s were not designed for long range? The longest they were expected to perform at was around 600 yards. That is hardly long range. Moreover, the Mk12 is a bit lighter than a Mk11.

A bit of ballistics data:

Mk262 Mod 1
2700FPS
77 SMK

In standard conditions, the bullet will still be supersonic at 800 yards and impact with approximately 239 ft/lbs of energy.

For the Learned Rifleman

Last edited by RugerNo1; 11-07-2012 at 7:40 PM..