Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-28-2012, 6:13 PM

Default Eotech vs. Aimpoint

I thought they were both quality optics. What say you? Thanks...

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
Old 10-28-2012, 6:45 PM
Calguns Addict

They are both quality optics. Just different styles.

What's your question.
Old 10-28-2012, 6:45 PM

I'll be surprised if anyone disagrees. I have an Eotech and love it. Aimpoint is also 100% GTG.
Old 10-28-2012, 6:49 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Only older ones have issues. Pre Rev-F EOtechs and Bushnel Holosites are junk. Same with Aimpoint M2s
Old 10-28-2012, 8:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Both are good, but I think Aimpoint has features that personally appeal to me more, specifically battery life. But I do like the Eotech design and reticle.
Old 10-28-2012, 9:12 PM

My personal opinion is that if you aim at it, and you hit it, then the optics are just fine. No matter what name is on it. I put an NC star sniper scope on my AR. Its like the poor mans acog. I get 2inch groups at 200 yards. My 11 year old son can shoot 4 inch groups at that same distance.Thats just my humble opinion.. I do have a question about those magazine "repair kits". You can get those 20 and 30 round AR magazines and they are called "repair kits" so that makes them legal to sell...does that also mean that they are legal to use? If Im in the wrong place to ask that question, please let me know...kinda new
Old 10-28-2012, 9:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisefordrene View Post
My personal opinion is that if you aim at it, and you hit it, then the optics are just fine. No matter what name is on it. I put an NC star sniper scope on my AR. Its like the poor mans acog. I get 2inch groups at 200 yards. My 11 year old son can shoot 4 inch groups at that same distance.Thats just my humble opinion.. I do have a question about those magazine "repair kits". You can get those 20 and 30 round AR magazines and they are called "repair kits" so that makes them legal to sell...does that also mean that they are legal to use? If Im in the wrong place to ask that question, please let me know...kinda new
Not a big fan of the world of quality optics hu?

There is so much more to an optic beside just aiming and hitting your target. Durability, clarity, resolution, repeatability, reticle design, you name it. I’ve owned my fair share of budget optics and to be honest I won’t be going back anytime soon. Shoot with a real ACOG for a month and tell me if you want to go back…

Rebuild / Repair kits are exactly what the descriptions implies. To rebuild or repair an existing magazine. Manufacturing of importing of high capacity magazines is illegal.
Old 10-28-2012, 9:33 PM

Thanks for the info on the mags...As far as the optics, im sure your right , or at least have a point , regarding the real acog...but, food for thought...does the suit make the man, or the man make the suit?
Old 10-28-2012, 9:54 PM
Calguns Addict

I say this with experience and respect since I’ve been there and done that with optics…

Even if the man can make the suit, but the suit is falling apart and tearing from the seams, I’ll take the high priced suit and grow into it.

I won’t deny, I’ve owned and used NCStar and Barska scopes, including NCStar red/green dot optic. Every one of those units either broke, exhibited some type of unreliable or out-of-spec operation. It if didn’t happen out of the box, it happened soon after buying it.

Example 1: NC Star RDS – POI shifts out of the box.
Example 2: NCStar Pistol scope, reticle shattered while zeroing optic and killed my range trip, and lost $40 in the process.
Example 3: Barska Scope, turrets do not track worth a damn and the reticle exhibits massive POI shift as you change magnification. To make matters worse I can dial up 10 MOA and back to zero and it does not return to zero. It won’t pass the “box test” if its life depended on it.

I won’t even sell these optics on calguns marketplace… it just feels wrong knowing what I know about them.

It didn’t take me long to learn my lesson. Optics is an area you really do get what you pay for.

Even if all that stuff did work, you still have the fact you just can’t buy good quality glass for that type of money. I do a lot of low light and night shooting + day time target shooting. Clear bright glass really goes a long way and makes for a pretty pleasurable experience. I don’t know if it’s my past experiences as a photographer, but I just got used to the fact nice glass doesn’t come cheap.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… “If you do want to shop on price… why not consider the bottom of the line… from a REPUTABLE manufacture…?!”

Last edited by ExtremeX; 10-28-2012 at 10:09 PM..
Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info on the mags...As far as the optics, im sure your right , or at least have a point , regarding the real acog...but, food for thought...does the suit make the man, or the man make the suit?
There is a HUGE difference between a $100 scope and one that sells for $5000. If you think otherwise, oh well... 2 inch groups at 200 yards are just that... MOA. Most folks shoot that in high power with just iron sights.

There is a reason people trust their lives on their (expensive) equipment...

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteQwill View Post
There is a HUGE difference between a $100 scope and one that sells for $5000. If you think otherwise, oh well... 2 inch groups at 200 yards are just that... MOA. Most folks shoot that in high power with just iron sights.

There is a reason people trust their lives on their (expensive) equipment...
You don’t even have to go to that extreme, there’s a huge difference between a $100 and $500 scope in the same league.

Considering this is a Red Dot thread topic, just take a look at a Primary Arms Micro dot for about $100 and what Aimpoint brings to the table at $500. Added durability, battery life in the years on constant on performance, better glass clarity…. It’s the difference between a hobby optic from a reputable manufacture and a working man’s optic from a company who markets to LE and Military.

To further elaborate on what NiteQwill said… even if you are not in the field or 2 way range trusting your life and limb to your equipment, good optics can often be looked at as an investment.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

I'm still up in the air about an Aimpoint or EOTech (want to shoot with an EOTech before I decide), but a question about the clarity on the Aimpoint glass vs my PA Micro Dot or even the Bushnell TRS. I'm shooting with both eyes open through a red dot sight; I'm simply seeing a red dot "suspended" in my field of view over my target. What is [better] glass clarity going to do for me?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roushstage2 View Post
I'm still up in the air about an Aimpoint or EOTech (want to shoot with an EOTech before I decide), but a question about the clarity on the Aimpoint glass vs my PA Micro Dot or even the Bushnell TRS. I'm shooting with both eyes open through a red dot sight; I'm simply seeing a red dot "suspended" in my field of view over my target. What is [better] glass clarity going to do for me?
I have a PA Micro…

To be honest in that style of shooting probably not much… but I like transparency in my glass… I think glass clarity is a lot more advantageous in scopes where you are looking and working through the glass vs superimposing the reticle using both eyes.

What I didn’t like about the Primary Arms Micro Dot is the deep blue tint (and this is where the transparency thing comes into play) on the lenses, which was really pronounced in low light. In indoor ranges I get some sort of funky reflections on the rear lens which tends to distract a little since none of the glass has anti-reflective coatings, and if they do, not very good coatings. All of these were either resolved or less pronounced with an Aimpoint as there is still some tint on the lenses, but nowhere as much.

Eotech vs Aimpoint… I REALLY like both, try both, as the laser projected reticle of the Eotech looks a lot different than the simple sharp dot of the Aimpoint. Eotech almost had a “dot matrix printer” type feel to it.

I do like the Eotech because it feels even faster than the Aimpoint, and the 1 MOA center dot it’s easier to get accurate with. If Eotech had the battery life of an Aimpoint I would be all over it, which is the selling point that gets me on the Aimpoint side. I’m a huge Trijicon fan, I love the always on no battery design and I still look to them for my reflex sights.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 10-28-2012 at 11:15 PM..
Old 10-28-2012, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm. I haven't had any reflection issues with my PA. The clarity is a definite advantage in scopes. Having always used cheaper scopes, when I got my Burris Fullfield II last week, wow!

I've looked through an EOTech and the reticle looked fine to me, IIRC (I only looked through it for a minute a few months ago). Of course, looking through it and using it are two different things. I do like the battery life of the Aimpoint.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Reflection issues are hit / miss… its almost non-existent outdoors. It’s the lighting scenarios I am in often… I get them primarily at my indoor range when the rear lighting is brighter than what is downrange. I use my PA Micro on a pistol and Ruger 10/22, not on my AR so most of my shooting is done at an indoor range using them.

I never said anything was bad or wrong with the Eotech reticle, I just said it’s different. The way the laser projects the image gives a dot matrix type pattern to it. If you take the time to side by side an Aimpoint and Eotech you will see what I’m referring to.

For that type of shooting style they are both good, and 100% personal preference when it comes to design and their strong points.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:54 PM

Eotech because your target cannot see the hologram sight. On the Aimpoint your target can potentially see your red dot.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I never said anything was bad or wrong with the Eotech reticle, I just said itís different. The way the laser projects the image gives a dot matrix type pattern to it. If you take the time to side by side an Aimpoint and Eotech you will see what Iím referring to.

For that type of shooting style they are both good, and 100% personal preference when it comes to design and their strong points.
I just meant I didn't really catch the pattern you describe, but I also only looked through it real quick.
Old 10-29-2012, 3:57 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Reflection issues are hit / missÖ its almost non-existent outdoors. Itís the lighting scenarios I am in oftenÖ I get them primarily at my indoor range when the rear lighting is brighter than what is downrange. I use my PA Micro on a pistol and Ruger 10/22, not on my AR so most of my shooting is done at an indoor range using them.

I never said anything was bad or wrong with the Eotech reticle, I just said itís different. The way the laser projects the image gives a dot matrix type pattern to it. If you take the time to side by side an Aimpoint and Eotech you will see what Iím referring to.

What? Lol are you comparing an Eotec to an Aimpoint! Lol it's funny how people regurgitate crap they hear! Eotec is the best sight out period.

Why?

Wider sight picture allowing for faster acquisition and over all situation awareness.

A true Halo no matter the sight picture angle the POI stays true!

A larger reticle that allows for faster times on target

Co witnesses with rear and front sight
Giving better accuracy using a 1MOA instead of 2.

The Russians took it out right!

PUREMMA
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY
Old 10-29-2012, 4:06 PM
Calguns Addict

This isn’t some random regurgitation…. This is from my own person experience using both optics.

I like both; both have their own pros and cons… I did mention I find an Eotech faster, and more accurate, and the reticle design is more useful than the Aimpoint. I only made comments in how the projection of the reticle LOOKS...

Quote:
I do like the Eotech because it feels even faster than the Aimpoint, and the 1 MOA center dot it’s easier to get accurate with. If Eotech had the battery life of an Aimpoint I would be all over it, which is the selling point that gets me on the Aimpoint side. I’m a huge Trijicon fan, I love the always on no battery design and I still look to them for my reflex sights.
If you cared to read my posts above you would have seen that. I sold off all my RDS units; I don’t care for them in general, as they don’t match my shooting style.

You saying Eotech is the best is just 100% your personal preference and opinion.

Last edited by ExtremeX; 10-29-2012 at 4:09 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 4:26 PM

I haven't had the privilege of shooting over a Eotech. I would love to and am thinking of getting another AR just so I have a good excuse lol! I do however own and use a Aimpoint Comp M4s on Larue QD mount with a magnifier on a flip to side QD mount by Larue. I do get absolute co witness with this set up and enjoy shooting it a lot
Old 10-29-2012, 4:41 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1k View Post
I haven't had the privilege of shooting over a Eotech. I would love to and am thinking of getting another AR just so I have a good excuse lol! I do however own and use a Aimpoint Comp M4s on Larue QD mount with a magnifier on a flip to side QD mount by Larue. I do get absolute co witness with this set up and enjoy shooting it a lot
Honestly if you are happy with it, rock it. That’s still a sweet setup.

Those optics are similar enough in application I personally really wouldn’t care to own one of each, but I would get the one you like and stick with it… There are so many different types of options out there to be had for different applications. Like I said above I sold off my red dots, to buy optics that better match my shooting style, plus I like a little variety.

My two personal favorites right now are low powder variables like 1-4x and 1-6x type optics since they are extremely versatile and the ACOG. I am still waiting on my SWFA 1-6x scope to show up which will probably replace the Vortex 1-4x if is as good as it looks on paper. Lower AR is the TA31F on a Larue mount.

Old 10-29-2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Honestly if you are happy with it, rock it. Thatís still a sweet setup.

Those optics are similar enough in application I personally really wouldnít care to own one of each, but I would get the one you like and stick with itÖ There are so many different types of options out there to be had for different applications. Like I said above I sold off my red dots, to buy optics that better match my shooting style, plus I like a little variety.

My two personal favorites right now are low powder variables like 1-4x and 1-6x type optics since they are extremely versatile and the ACOG. I am still waiting on my SWFA 1-6x scope to show up which will probably replace the Vortex 1-4x if is as good as it looks on paper. Lower AR is the TA31F on a Larue mount.

I seriously just got a woodie! Nice rifles!
Old 10-29-2012, 4:58 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lostinspace View Post
What? Lol are you comparing an Eotec to an Aimpoint! Lol it's funny how people regurgitate crap they hear! Eotec is the best sight out period.

Why?

Wider sight picture allowing for faster acquisition and over all situation awareness.
They both follow a tube design. "Wider sight picture" should not be confused with larger unit size. Situational awareness? Both eyes are open, aren't they?
A true Halo no matter the sight picture angle the POI stays true!
Both units are parralax free, this is a non-issue.
A larger reticle that allows for faster times on target
So would a 4 MOA or 2 MOA dot.
Co witnesses with rear and front sight
??? Both units allow 1/3 and absolute, depending on mount.
Giving better accuracy using a 1MOA instead of 2.
I thought a larger reticle allows for faster times on target?^^^ RDS is not about precision accuracy. Engagements are usually within 100-250 yards.
see above

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 10-29-2012, 5:12 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
This isnít some random regurgitationÖ. This is from my own person experience using both optics.

I like both; both have their own pros and consÖ I did mention I find an Eotech faster, and more accurate, and the reticle design is more useful than the Aimpoint. I only made comments in how the projection of the reticle LOOKS...

If you cared to read my posts above you would have seen that. I sold off all my RDS units; I donít care for them in general, as they donít match my shooting style.

You saying Eotech is the best is just 100% your personal preference and opinion.

Both are great! In their own right and have advantages and disadvantages

Dimitri

Last edited by PrimaryArms; 10-29-2012 at 5:14 PM..
Old 10-29-2012, 7:34 PM
I need a LIFE!!

LOL... Just buy a C-More ATAC and be happy you have the best optic money can buy and not be a fanboy mall ninja....

Old 10-29-2012, 8:41 PM

I have hunted big game my whole life from childhood. I have until late used only Leupold because that's what my family has always used and honestly it is a really great product! My last hunting scope purchase was a Nikon titanium in matte silver to sit on my pretty stainless model 70 featherweight classic in 7mm Rem Mag. This is hands down one of the finest scopes I have ever used. I feel the same about my Aim point M4. To each his own! Both the Eotech and the Aimpoint are battle hardened and proven extremely effective. But then again on the other hand I have a 35 dollar 3x9 Bushnell on a pre WWII 99 that I cant even adjust. It has killed year after year on the deer and the range....
Old 10-29-2012, 9:30 PM

Cool

I have shot with a Trijicon ACOG, Aimpoint Red Dot and I own a EOTech...My personal opinion is Id rather be able to open both eyes with no parallax and hit my target then have to waist time with a acog squinting one eye and having to find my target then shoot. 90% of the time if you are in a fire fight, your enemy will not be beyond 100-200 yards...and you can hit a 200 yard target just fine even with no magnification using a EOTech. I say EOTech FTW Not to mention, with an EOTech you have such a WIDE FOV =D
Just my thoughts.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This isnít some random regurgitationÖ. This is from my own person experience using both optics.

I like both; both have their own pros and consÖ I did mention I find an Eotech faster, and more accurate, and the reticle design is more useful than the Aimpoint. I only made comments in how the projection of the reticle LOOKS...

If you cared to read my posts above you would have seen that. I sold off all my RDS units; I donít care for them in general, as they donít match my shooting style.

Ok so let me ask you other then battery life what makes an Aimpoint better then an Eotec?

PUREMMA
MIXED MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY

Last edited by 1lostinspace; 10-30-2012 at 7:27 AM..
Old 10-30-2012, 2:56 AM
Veteran Member

both are awesome. me i like the eotech that much better but could do aimpoint if i had to. i'm just wayy more comfy with the eotech and that much faster in target aquisition. aimpoint has a bit too much of the tubing effect. and yes i shoot both eyes open. eotch fov is much much better than aimpoint.

10mm. Because .45ACP just doesn't cut it anymore. <Trailerparktrash>
Old 10-30-2012, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider1k View Post
I seriously just got a woodie! Nice rifles!
Meh, I've seen better.
Old 10-30-2012, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Talking mrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lostinspace View Post
Ok so let me ask you other then battery life what makes an Aimpoint better then an Eotec?
I think the fact that Eotechs are HWS and aimpoints are not is the differance in battery life. For those of us that aren't in the field it's a non issue. if you can spend hundreds a month on ammo it's not that big a deal to change batteries every two months. I own an Eotech but would have no issue using an Aimpoint if I had to. Both are fine optics and it's pretty much a personal preferance as to which one people like the most.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 10-30-2012, 6:29 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by m98 View Post
both are awesome. me i like the eotech that much better but could do aimpoint if i had to. i'm just wayy more comfy with the eotech and that much faster in target aquisition. aimpoint has a bit too much of the tubing effect. and yes i shoot both eyes open. eotch fov is much much better than aimpoint.
Do I hear an echo? lol but two thumbs up even though I said that already
Old 11-04-2012, 9:59 PM

aimpoint......
Old 11-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member

I honestly don't give a rats *** about the battery life of Eotechs

I'm loaded with CR123A's due to the battery commonality between my Surefire's and my Eotechs and if I needed some I could go out to an electronics store and pick some up (who needs camera batteries when SHTF , they'll probably be the only things left)

I also find the reticle faster and more useful than the single dot found on the Aimpoints.

But if you have uncorrected astigmatism forget about the Eotech.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:50 PM

I own an eotech and have shot my buddy's aimpoint quite a few times.

Both are great. Love the reticle on the eotech's and the simplicity of the aimpoint....

aimpoint battery does last a really long time and lighter than the eotech's. Eotech's battery can get annoying when it does run out, but honestly, it's not annoying enough for me to hate and think its trash.

Both are great, just preference I suppose.
Old 11-08-2012, 5:02 AM

I'd buy the sight w/ Eotech's reticle combined w/ Aimpoints battery life.