Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 12-31-2012, 10:15 AM
Mostly Harmless
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
Default Some rimfire bench groups, effects of different ammunition

Posted this at RFC in 2007 but it got lost in a discussion about Rhineland Arms stocks. I just found it again and thought it would be interesting to post it here. All groups are at 50 yards.

Here is the Rhineland Arms rifle:

It has a steel bull barrel, but otherwise no enhancements to the hammer or trigger or even an extended magaizne release. The scope is a Mueller APV 4.5-14x 40mm with adjustable objective.

In January 2007 I took the Rhineland 10/22 out to the range for the first time. I spent two hours zeroing the rifle at 50 yards even after bore sighting it here at the office before I left (I forgot to bring a spotting scope and, boy, is it hard to see .22 caliber holes 50 yards away).

Anyway, no matter, since I enjoyed myself and finally got the rifle to this point, shooting with the bipod:

My groups were a little uneven as the day went on, as fatigue and cold set it and my shooting became slightly erratic. But the Rhineland 10/22 seems to shoot well right out of the box. But I wanted to share some interesting effects I noticed when I changed ammunition.

I zeroed with my favorite .22 LR ammunition, Wolf Match Target. Then I tried a magazine of powerful CCI Stingers, and this is what happened:

The groups labelled A were all made with the Rhineland 10/22 shooting Wolf Match Target. In all cases I was aiming at the centers of the orange dots. The holes in the blue cloud marked B, however, represent ten shots of CCI Stingers aimed at the central orange dot (the one with no holes in it!). No group at all and every shot was very high! Immediately after that I tried another magazine full of Wolf Match Target, and the results are labelled C. I guess the Stingers heated up the barrel and action or something because now I was grouping to the right.

The 7.62 caliber hole marked D was from my buddy in the next lane shooting his AK-47.

Next I pulled out my 10/22 Sporter.

It has been substantially modified with a Volquartsen muzzle weighted barrel, an extended magazine release, a bolt locking dohickey and a replacement trigger and hammer and other enhancements to give it a smooth hair trigger. But no pillar bedding or stock or barrel bedding.

Here are a couple groups I made with the Sporter, shooting with a sandbag rest:

The flyer in the lower left was my first shot with the hair trigger after spending the morning fighting with the Rhineland 10/22's factory trigger. Whoops!

Anyway, it groups pretty well too. But it is much easier to shoot well with the worked trigger. Given that the aluminum Rhineland stock provides superior bedding right out of the box, I'd like to work the trigger on it as well, to see what kind of groups it could make then.
Originally Posted by Cheburashka View Post
A homebuilt AR pistol has a high cool factor and gives you cred at the range.

Last edited by Mitch; 12-31-2012 at 10:18 AM..