Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Northern California Chapters
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2015, 8:48 PM

Default One in the chamber? Home defense

I'm sure this has been asked before but I was just curious how many of you actually have one in the chamber in your home defense gun? For some reason it make me nervous and I can't do it. I have the mag in but fully ready to go. I think it may be because I have a HK vp9 and there's no safety. Thoughts?
Old 01-31-2015, 8:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It would seem ridiculous to NOT have a round in the chamber for a HD gun. If it makes you nervous, you shouldn't have a HD gun. Actually, it's more preposterous that not chambering a round in a CCW gun. What would be the reason?
Old 01-31-2015, 9:08 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you aren't comfortable with keeping a round in the chamber, get some training. Your VP9 will not magically discharge without a trigger pull.
Old 01-31-2015, 9:09 PM
CGSSA Leader

Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!

Old 01-31-2015, 9:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I carry a Glock with one in the chamber so you better believe the HD has one in the chamber.
If tou unfofortable because of others having acces to it or you are just not confident because of safety reasons you should consider advance safety/training.
Just my 2cents

“Silence makes cowards out of the best of men” –Abraham Lincoln

🇺🇸 ⚔️ 🦅

Wounded Knee is the prime example of why the Second Amendment exists, and why we shouldn’t be in such a hurry to surrender our Right to Bear Arms.
Without the Second Amendment we have no way to defend ourselves and our families.
Old 01-31-2015, 9:19 PM
The Kilted One
CGN Contributor

In my home defense pump shotgun, there is a shell in the chamber. I don't believe in the "when they hear it pump they run" propaganda. I believe in the "boom, you should have run instead of breaking into my house" version.

In my HD pistols, they are also fully loaded with one in the pipe. IMO an unloaded gun is nothing but a poor substitute for a blunt force weapon. My glocks do not have a safety and that does not concern me. Like someone else said, they won't go bang unless my finger is on the trigger.

That said, my pistols are not laying loose in a drawer. They are in holsters so nothing accidentally activates the trigger. No children in the house so I don't keep them in the safe.

If you decide to keep your pistol unloaded, practice for that scenario so you know you have to rack it before engaging otherwise that CLICK is the loudest sound in the world.
Old 01-31-2015, 9:26 PM

Like others have said you should get some training. I'm not talking about a few hours at an indoor range. You should take a weekend class at an outdoor range where you can get off the firing line and fire your weapon from different positions. After running through drills and sending 1,000 rounds down range you will be much more comfortable. They teach you things that you would never have thought of on your own.

Always one in the pipe but the pistol must be in a holster. It can't just be sitting in a drawer or under the pillow. The holster is part of the safety keeping objects from getting stuck in the trigger guard.

Last edited by SoCal326; 01-31-2015 at 9:31 PM..
Old 01-31-2015, 9:27 PM

All the guns in my safe are unloaded. I might have a couple AR/AK/HK mags that are loaded but they are NOT in the weapons.

My protection shotgun is loaded and ready sitting in the safe. I live in the sticks and I get some interesting animals.

My CCW pistol is always loaded. One in the pipe. Ready to rock.
There is a reason its a CCW pistol. Which doesnt do me any good unloaded.
Old 01-31-2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandanin View Post
I don't believe in the "when they hear it pump they run" propaganda.
Agreed.
Before moving to California I never really heard this nonsense.
For some reason people think that the sound of a racking shotgun is a good deterrent.

Check it, if they are already in the house, then racking your shotgun is too little too late.

Shoot instead of letting people know where you are at.
Old 01-31-2015, 9:34 PM

There are lots of handguns out there with traditional safety. Most of them are also drop safe. Having a loaded handgun in your hand with the safety on is infinitely better than having an unloaded handgun.
Old 01-31-2015, 9:40 PM

Also, take a look at some revolvers. Many people prefer them as you can store them indefinitely with the hammer lowered, but they still go bang when you pull the trigger.
Old 01-31-2015, 9:55 PM

I keep a couple pistols in small safes throughout the house as well as a shotgun and carbine under the bed also in a safe. I keep them all with a loaded mag but no round in the chamber. The reason - my kids.

For me, it's extra layers of peace of mind. The guns are in a safe for obvious reasons. God forbid my kid gets into a safe they then have to be able to load a round, which I doubt they could do (they are 5 and under). God forbid they figure out how to load a round, the guns all have safeties on too. It gives me peace of mind to have those extra precautions in place. Am I making things more difficult for me god forbid I need to use them for HD? I would definitely say yes. But I am willing to take the extra risk in order to have a little extra security to protect my kids from something horrible.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:12 PM

I'm very comfortable with my HK and I go shooting 2 to 3 times a month so that's not the issue. I should have been more clear, I get nervous with being woken up in the middle of the night and still being half asleep and reaching for the pistol. There really is no way to train for that. I don't have it in a holster at home.

It's not about ccw it's just about reaching for your pistol without a safety while waking up in an emergency situation. I appreciate all the comments though. I did have a 44 mag and wasn't nervous about that, maybe I'll just pick up another revolver.

Last edited by Solo_925; 01-31-2015 at 10:15 PM..
Old 02-01-2015, 12:51 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Those are the typical arguments for not have a loaded firearm. If you have young kids and those kids are able to access your firearms without your permission, you've failed. Your kids are safecrackers? If so, then they'll know how to chamber a round and work a safety. Worried about you accidentally leaving a safe open? Just make sure you don't. Worried about forgetting to lock up a firearm? Just make sure you don't. Worried about kids breaking into your cheap container? Don't buy cheap containers. Firearms are serious business and deserve proper respect. Limiting a firearm's function or relying on its mechanical safeties is no substitute for proper access control.

I have young children and they will never be able access all of the loaded HD firearms that are throughout the house until they are proficient enough to use them responsibly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyMtn View Post
I keep a couple pistols in small safes throughout the house as well as a shotgun and carbine under the bed also in a safe. I keep them all with a loaded mag but no round in the chamber. The reason - my kids.

For me, it's extra layers of peace of mind. The guns are in a safe for obvious reasons. God forbid my kid gets into a safe they then have to be able to load a round, which I doubt they could do (they are 5 and under). God forbid they figure out how to load a round, the guns all have safeties on too. It gives me peace of mind to have those extra precautions in place. Am I making things more difficult for me god forbid I need to use them for HD? I would definitely say yes. But I am willing to take the extra risk in order to have a little extra security to protect my kids from something horrible.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So the scenario is you're woken up by something that goes bump in the night, and in a groggy haze you reach for your fine German pistol. Still sleepy you see a shadow and unload a magazine into its general vicinity. Turns out to be your roommate looking for the bottle opener you keep on your dresser.

To prevent this from happening, you decide to take the extra precaution of forcing yourself to rack the slide so that you can be in the proper mindset to ascertain the threat and make the appropriate engagement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_925 View Post
I'm very comfortable with my HK and I go shooting 2 to 3 times a month so that's not the issue. I should have been more clear, I get nervous with being woken up in the middle of the night and still being half asleep and reaching for the pistol. There really is no way to train for that. I don't have it in a holster at home.

It's not about ccw it's just about reaching for your pistol without a safety while waking up in an emergency situation. I appreciate all the comments though. I did have a 44 mag and wasn't nervous about that, maybe I'll just pick up another revolver.
Old 02-01-2015, 3:01 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdben92883 View Post
So the scenario is you're woken up by something that goes bump in the night, and in a groggy haze you reach for your fine German pistol. Still sleepy you see a shadow and unload a magazine into its general vicinity. Turns out to be your roommate looking for the bottle opener you keep on your dresser.

To prevent this from happening, you decide to take the extra precaution of forcing yourself to rack the slide so that you can be in the proper mindset to ascertain the threat and make the appropriate engagement?

Exactly 👍
Old 02-01-2015, 3:04 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post
Agreed.
Before moving to California I never really heard this nonsense.
For some reason people think that the sound of a racking shotgun is a good deterrent.

Check it, if they are already in the house, then racking your shotgun is too little too late.

Shoot instead of letting people know where you are at.
I hear this plenty out of California.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 02-06-2015, 6:08 PM

I too am one who leaves a loaded gun in a locked safe near the bed. I don't usually have one in the chamber though.
If i don't have 2 seconds to pull back the slide, I wouldnt have had enough time to unlock the safe. Its there if I can get to it, but typically my 2 yard dogs alert me of every darn racoon or possum that decides to walk through the yard, so if the barking doesnt get my attention I have other issues...

I know there are some people who feel that they wouldnt be safe without their loaded weapon under their pillow, but I have to play the odds and keep the gun locked and safe for the 99.9% of the time it could become accidentally dangerous, instead of giving myself that little extra when the horrible 0.1% occurs.

Just happy to know that i have a weapon in the more likely chance that I am awoken before/during entry.
Old 02-06-2015, 7:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Chambered and ready in a Kydex Mic Holster
http://www.themicholster.com/

http://www.themicholster.com/store.php
Old 02-06-2015, 9:27 PM

One in the chamber or not is a never ending debate. I think each have their place and broad blanket statements either way over simplify the issue. I don't subscribe to the "an unloaded chamber is a paperweight" argument. Determining a threat, identifying target, and operating a pistol takes practiced thought and ability. If racking the slide is part of your HD training, I don't see how the sub-second additional step, likely done simultaneously with other actions, is that significant an issue. I'm sure that statement is going to excite some people. I think the misconception is some people see zero value in an unchambered pistol, while it may have value to someone else in a specific environment.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:32 PM

I keep my shotgun and my 38 special in my safe, but they are loaded and ready to go in the event I need them. Always have one in the chamber. I always have extra ammo on the stock of the shotgun and 2 speed loaders next to my 38 in the event it's needed.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:39 PM

My .45 on HD duty is usually condition 3- usually, but not always.

Only takes a split second to rack the slide.

That's just me. Your mileage may vary.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Chambered round, unchambered round, in the safe, on the nightstand etc etc is all dependent on your situation, living arrangements, visiors and on and on so it ends up as an individual preference.

BUT - if having a chambered round makes you nervous, you need additional training and experience to boost your level of confidence in your safe handling procedures. Until you train to the point that a chambered round make you confident instead of nervous, IMHO you probably should not have an HD gun with a chambered round.
Old 02-16-2015, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

One in the chamber and safety OFF. I will NEVER rely on a mechanical safety!

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE
Old 02-16-2015, 1:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Only time my guns are chambered are when I am carrying them and have direct control.

Even locked in my nightstand safe, they're not chambered.

Why? I have kids, and kids have a way of getting into things they aren't supposed to.
Old 02-16-2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Man View Post
Only time my guns are chambered are when I am carrying them and have direct control.

Even locked in my nightstand safe, they're not chambered.

Why? I have kids, and kids have a way of getting into things they aren't supposed to.
This is a good example of an advantage to an unchambered pistol. It's near physically impossible for kids under 3 to rack the slide and extremely difficult for kids under 7ish. It costs practically nothing to do yet provides another layer of safety.
Old 02-16-2015, 8:31 PM
Calguns Addict

If you are not comfortable but want to be as prepared as possible get something with a decocker so you can have a round chambered, decock and only have to do a short 1/4 silent press check to cock it. Might be a good middle ground for you.

WTS: Gun stuff & things WTB: HK SP30K 9mm
Old 04-08-2015, 6:42 PM

I run one in the hole. I get 11 instead of 10 in the pistols. The larger toys also have a round in the chamber. My dad felt the same, "in time of panic, you want to make sure of your opponent, point, shoot, dont stop til the slide locks open." There is no time for, "stop, i have a weapon"
Just me..