Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-26-2012, 9:59 PM
cubanos's Avatar
cubanos cubanos is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: southern ca
Posts: 27
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default New riverside ccw permits

Today, arrived to Riverside County CCW Unit to turn in my ccw permit renewal and was informed that the new permits will look like a CDL....pleasant surprise
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-26-2012, 10:04 PM
PolishMike's Avatar
PolishMike PolishMike is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tracy
Posts: 5,632
iTrader: 24 / 96%
Default

Iirc you will still have to carry the state form that is actually the permit. The card doesn't mean anything
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-27-2012, 7:11 AM
Quiet's Avatar
Quiet Quiet is offline
short bus driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: the 909
Posts: 17,384
iTrader: 10 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Iirc you will still have to carry the state form that is actually the permit. The card doesn't mean anything
Some issuing agencies have replaced the "rice paper" permit with a plastic ID card style permit.
__________________


"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-27-2012, 8:52 AM
pitbuljake pitbuljake is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Temporarily on earth
Posts: 149
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I picked up my permit last Tuesday from RSO CCW unit. It is a CDL type card, no other type of document was issued .
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2012, 10:10 AM
welldriller welldriller is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere between Corona and Perris
Posts: 141
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Just a card the size of a drivers license.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Librarian's Avatar
Librarian Librarian is offline
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Concord
Posts: 31,460
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishMike View Post
Iirc you will still have to carry the state form that is actually the permit. The card doesn't mean anything
PC 26175 doesn't say what the form must be -
Quote:
(i) Any license issued upon the application shall set forth the
licensee's name, occupation, residence and business address, the
licensee's age, height, weight, color of eyes and hair, and the
reason for desiring a license to carry the weapon, and shall, in
addition, contain a description of the weapon or weapons authorized
to be carried, giving the name of the manufacturer, the serial
number, and the caliber. The license issued to the licensee may be
laminated.
If it has the info, and is issued by an agency, should be good to go.

Question: does the new Riverside card also have a magnetic data stripe?
__________________
Calguns Wiki, Magazine Qs, Knife laws

Ask CA law questions in the How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me Forum - most questions that start 'Is it legal ...' go there.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Heller was 2008. McDonald was 2010. Things started getting bad with GCA-1968.
It takes time to unwind 40 years of bad law.

Last edited by Librarian; 10-27-2012 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2012, 6:58 PM
pitbuljake pitbuljake is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Temporarily on earth
Posts: 149
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
PC 26175 doesn't say what the form must be - If it has the info, and is issued by an agency, should be good to go.

Question: does the new Riverside card also have a magnetic data stripe?
No magstripe, but it is full of info, front and back.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2012, 7:07 PM
supra supra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 128
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Hope my county starts issuing regular DL sized permits so I can carry a normal size wallet again.
__________________
”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
~Unknown
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2012, 8:30 PM
john67elco's Avatar
john67elco john67elco is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Alta Loma
Posts: 3,182
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

San bernardino has no strip on back and credit card sized with my photo on front and the 3 guns on back. Right thumb print on back also. All my friends say my permit photo looks like a TMZ DUI mug shot. It does look bad
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 PM
sunrisefordrene sunrisefordrene is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Riverside,Ca.
Posts: 426
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I have my packet almost ready to turn in..Just waiting for my mom to find my naturalization cert...Spoke with dept. Aguirre, seems like a cool cat..Does anyone know what the wait time from when you turn in your packet until you get your interview? Also I heard that Riv county offers a handgun class that is cheaper than the one at rahagees..Any clues?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-29-2012, 7:05 AM
Dee_Dub's Avatar
Dee_Dub Dee_Dub is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So cal
Posts: 1,860
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Depends on admin, usually 3 months or so, took me six. I would take the class through ben clark its not bad. It cost 100 bux.
__________________
A man's GOT to know his limitations.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-29-2012, 9:51 PM
sunrisefordrene sunrisefordrene is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Riverside,Ca.
Posts: 426
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

sounds good..i live across the street from the ben clark training center...convinient..so when i go to my interview , i should ask for their class?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-30-2012, 5:17 AM
davbog44 davbog44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SW Riverside County
Posts: 521
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisefordrene View Post
I have my packet almost ready to turn in..Just waiting for my mom to find my naturalization cert...Spoke with dept. Aguirre, seems like a cool cat..Does anyone know what the wait time from when you turn in your packet until you get your interview? Also I heard that Riv county offers a handgun class that is cheaper than the one at rahagees..Any clues?
Yes, you can take the class from the RCO Sheriff's Dept. As noted, it's held at the Ben Clark facility, and is held on a Saturday. IIRC (I renewed last Feb) it's $100, and it's actually .... and I hate to use this word ... but it's fun.

As for turn around time, it should be about 90 days. If you are willing to pay all your fees up front and take the class from them, it should go a little faster because they can get you on the board for the class and your range qualification. It takes a little longer if they have to wait for your file to go through the Admin process before they schedule you for class and range.

And your absolutely right about Deputy Aguirre. Both he and Deputy Yezzo are really great guys to work with. At no point in the process do they ever make you feel like a "suspect" because you are applying for a permit. In fact, dealing with the Riverside County Sheriff's Department for my carry permit is about the only time in my life I've ever actually looked forward to dealing with a government process. You can't say that about the DMV or the Tax Assessor's Office, now can you?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-06-2012, 5:08 PM
GixxerGuy GixxerGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 213
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

I too am in Riverside and am getting ready to apply. Those of you WITH an approved CCW care to share your GOOD CAUSE statements?
__________________
Glock 19 & 26
HK USP Elite .45
Benelli Nova
Rem 700 SPS Varmint .308
FN PS90
FN FiveSeveN

For all your heating and cooling needs in So Cal:
www.all-pro-air.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:13 AM
rk40cal rk40cal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

ok i have a question.. im 20 about to be 21.. would like to have a CCW since where i live and work i deal with the deposits from the business and literally the Carls Jr in my parking lot just got robbed the other night.. so my question is would i have to wait till 21 to get my CCW or can i go apply no.. ill be 21 in January should i just wait..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM
mej16489 mej16489 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,786
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk40cal View Post
ok i have a question.. im 20 about to be 21.. would like to have a CCW since where i live and work i deal with the deposits from the business and literally the Carls Jr in my parking lot just got robbed the other night.. so my question is would i have to wait till 21 to get my CCW or can i go apply no.. ill be 21 in January should i just wait..
I think your best answer would come directly from your potential issuing agency. There is no statutory age requirement for an LTC. There is a presumptive age of 18 as that's the federal level requirement to own a handgun.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM
rk40cal rk40cal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
I think your best answer would come directly from your potential issuing agency. There is no statutory age requirement for an LTC. There is a presumptive age of 18 as that's the federal level requirement to own a handgun.
well thank youfor the responce.. so since i live in the palm springs area.. i would have to drive to riverside to the actual main office.. well ill call before i do that..
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM
mej16489 mej16489 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,786
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk40cal View Post
well thank youfor the responce.. so since i live in the palm springs area.. i would have to drive to riverside to the actual main office.. well ill call before i do that..
I suspect that since you will be 21 in January that its a non-issue. As I understand the process in Riverside County it will be past your birthday before you get the license anyway. I would hope that even if they have a policy of non-issue to anyone under 21, that since you will be 21 by the time they issue it would be okay to start the process.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-15-2012, 1:25 PM
rk40cal rk40cal is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mej16489 View Post
I suspect that since you will be 21 in January that its a non-issue. As I understand the process in Riverside County it will be past your birthday before you get the license anyway. I would hope that even if they have a policy of non-issue to anyone under 21, that since you will be 21 by the time they issue it would be okay to start the process.

Good Luck!
i was am hoping the same thing.. i just dont want to go and do all the stuff and pay all the money then they tell me well since u started before i was 21 that ill have to do it all over again.. but ya i was thinking the same thing that since when its all said and done it will be well past my bday..
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-16-2012, 9:16 AM
lawaia's Avatar
lawaia lawaia is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Riverside County
Posts: 1,895
iTrader: 44 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk40cal View Post
i was am hoping the same thing.. i just dont want to go and do all the stuff and pay all the money then they tell me well since u started before i was 21 that ill have to do it all over again.. but ya i was thinking the same thing that since when its all said and done it will be well past my bday..
Call and ask. The deputies are nice guys, and will help you.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-16-2012, 9:22 AM
davbog44 davbog44 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: SW Riverside County
Posts: 521
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawaia View Post
Call and ask. The deputies are nice guys, and will help you.
The CCW Unit's Deputies are nice guys.

My advice would be to go ahead and go to the Sheriff's Dept website and download the application and go ahead and get started getting all the documents you will need. (The application instructions will tell you what you'll need, like your birth certificate, military discharge papers (if applicable) etc.

And get to work on your Good Cause. As noted above, the timeline will almost certainly take you past your 21st Bday anyway, so you might as well get the ball rolling now.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-09-2013, 2:33 PM
KulG23 KulG23 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 392
iTrader: 14 / 100%
Default

Hey all, I have my ccw application and GC all ready... if there someone here that I could send GC to for review or anyone that has successfully gotten a CCW from Riverside County Sheriffs that could send me their good cause?

travis.kula@gmail.com

Thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-09-2013, 6:09 PM
LCU1670's Avatar
LCU1670 LCU1670 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coachella Valley
Posts: 2,425
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

"Team Billy Jack" helped me, Google their contact info.
__________________
Waterborne!

Commander of Front Sight Member
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 PM
TurboS600's Avatar
TurboS600 TurboS600 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 821
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulG23 View Post
Hey all, I have my ccw application and GC all ready... if there someone here that I could send GC to for review or anyone that has successfully gotten a CCW from Riverside County Sheriffs that could send me their good cause?

travis.kula@gmail.com

Thank you!
Like LCU said, TBJ is a good one. You could also call the RCSO CCW unit and ask them. Deputies Aguirre and Yezzo are good guys and are willing to help. They will tell you if they think the GC will pass muster and possibly what you can to do improve it. They are honest, approachable, helpful, decent, normal guys who believe that every honest citizen should be armed.

Good luck...
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut Shmacher Space Chimp View Post
Where can I get a pair..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViPER395 View Post
I like it colored
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-06-2013, 9:04 PM
Budguy21 Budguy21 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default updates

Any updates on anyone that has started the Riverside process? I will be starting soon. Still working on GC statement.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-10-2013, 12:07 AM
jdben92883 jdben92883 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Corona
Posts: 2,635
iTrader: 138 / 100%
Default

The instructor at Firearms Training Associates had everyone state their good cause in front of the class and he gave instant feedback on the strengths/weaknesses of each. I agreed with most of what he said. Might as well get your training done ahead of time.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-11-2013, 5:07 PM
Budguy21 Budguy21 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default RivCo

For those that have gone thru the Riverside County process, anything you can share about the interview?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-11-2013, 5:25 PM
bigdawg86's Avatar
bigdawg86 bigdawg86 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,472
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budguy21 View Post
For those that have gone thru the Riverside County process, anything you can share about the interview?
It's not much of an interview, they more or less review your application packet with you. It's super relaxed and simple. I got my CCW a few months ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM
Budguy21 Budguy21 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default interview

So it sounds like when you're ready to turn in your app, you call them first. Does the interview take place when you turn it in, or is it scheduled for after that?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-12-2013, 5:30 PM
CitaDeL's Avatar
CitaDeL CitaDeL is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 5,093
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdben92883 View Post
The instructor at Firearms Training Associates had everyone state their good cause in front of the class and he gave instant feedback on the strengths/weaknesses of each. I agreed with most of what he said. Might as well get your training done ahead of time.
Applicants should only obtain training and their certificate after they have received notification that their application was approved per statute.
__________________

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 PM
jdben92883 jdben92883 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Corona
Posts: 2,635
iTrader: 138 / 100%
Default

Per statute?

LOL...funny that the Deputy had no problem with me turning in my certificate with my application. And since I took the CCW class and a Front Sight course while I waited for my appointment date, it saved me several weeks of processing. The only thing that I couldn't do prior to the interview was the Livescan. However, I interviewed in the morning, took the Livescan card downtown right afterwards, and had everything done by the end of the day.

There is no rule stating you have to wait to be approved to take your training. It was a question I specifically asked the Deputy when I scheduled my interview date. Nobody cares and the schools are more than willing to take your money.

If there is something that has changed since the end of June, then I stand corrected.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CitaDeL View Post
Applicants should only obtain training and their certificate after they have received notification that their application was approved per statute.
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member

Last edited by jdben92883; 08-12-2013 at 11:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 PM
jdben92883 jdben92883 is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Corona
Posts: 2,635
iTrader: 138 / 100%
Default

You schedule your interview with the CCW unit and bring in your application at the time of the interview. The "interview" is about an hour of good-natured ribbing, but during that time the Deputy will have made sure everything is complete and that your packet makes sense. They told me that approx. 90% of the apps they receive get approved, but I take that to mean 90% of the apps they move forward. If they think there is an issue with your application they will work with you to correct it. You'll know at the end of the interview if the Deputy is going to push your application forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budguy21 View Post
So it sounds like when you're ready to turn in your app, you call them first. Does the interview take place when you turn it in, or is it scheduled for after that?
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 08-25-2013, 9:46 PM
Budguy21 Budguy21 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Thanks, the soonest interview I could get is in October. Will keep you posted.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-18-2013, 7:07 PM
Budguy21 Budguy21 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Had my interview yesterday (Oct 17) and got my LiveScan done the same day. Training is scheduled for this weekend.

Sounds like 90 days to expect something?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-01-2013, 1:32 PM
indobos72 indobos72 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 542
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

jdben92883, Quick question, I also live in corona, can I go to Riverside or do I need to go through our local PD first? Any help appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-01-2013, 1:59 PM
bigdawg86's Avatar
bigdawg86 bigdawg86 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,472
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indobos72 View Post
jdben92883, Quick question, I also live in corona, can I go to Riverside or do I need to go through our local PD first? Any help appreciated.
Just go to RSO, they know they are the issuing authority and usually won't make you go through that runaround.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-01-2013, 2:06 PM
bollero's Avatar
bollero bollero is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NUNYA----
Posts: 1,037
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Do they take personal protection for good Cause?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-01-2013, 3:42 PM
Dee_Dub's Avatar
Dee_Dub Dee_Dub is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: So cal
Posts: 1,860
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

^ negative, Need to elaborate on why you need protection. Risk factors? job related? threats... ect.
__________________
A man's GOT to know his limitations.

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-13-2013, 4:53 PM
Budguy21 Budguy21 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 45
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Picked up my permit today. Only took 56 days.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-13-2013, 5:04 PM
CitaDeL's Avatar
CitaDeL CitaDeL is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Redding, CA
Posts: 5,093
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdben92883 View Post
Per statute?

LOL...funny that the Deputy had no problem with me turning in my certificate with my application. And since I took the CCW class and a Front Sight course while I waited for my appointment date, it saved me several weeks of processing. The only thing that I couldn't do prior to the interview was the Livescan. However, I interviewed in the morning, took the Livescan card downtown right afterwards, and had everything done by the end of the day.

There is no rule stating you have to wait to be approved to take your training. It was a question I specifically asked the Deputy when I scheduled my interview date. Nobody cares and the schools are more than willing to take your money.

If there is something that has changed since the end of June, then I stand corrected.
Yes, you can take your training at any time at your own risk.

No, the issuing agency may not require training in advance of making a determination on your submitted application.

Quote:
26165. (a) For new license applicants, the course of training for
issuance of a license under Section 26150 or 26155 may be any course
acceptable to the licensing authority, shall not exceed 16 hours, and
shall include instruction on at least firearm safety and the law
regarding the permissible use of a firearm.

(d) The applicant shall not be required to pay for any training
courses prior to the determination of good cause being made pursuant
to Section 26202.
Question; Why would you spend your money to obtain state mandated training if you have not already been approved for a license to carry?
__________________

Sometimes the law defends plunder and participates in it. Sometimes the law places the whole apparatus of judges, police, prisons and gendarmes at the service of the plunderers, and treats the victim -- when he defends himself -- as a criminal. Bastiat

“Everything the State says is a lie, and everything it has it has stolen.” Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:22 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.