Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-25-2012, 2:15 PM

Default 6-18x40 scope too powrful for a .22 bolt rifle????

So i was checking out new scopes for my Savage Mkii Sv (21" barrel) and im kinda set on a BSA "sweet .22" scope. ive heard alot of decent things about them and not alot of complaints. however it is available in two different mags. 3-9x40 and 6-18x40.

would the 6-18x40 be too overkill to the point it actually makes the rifle more inaccurate? i.e taking a shot you think you could make because of the magnifacation , but missing because of drop/wind/rifle accuracy. I could see how a smaller magnifacation would foce you to get in a little closer, rather than be lazy and try to take the shot from a longer distance.

The rifle is used for back woods small game hunting/ targets
also if someone could recommend a better scope in the 100-160$ range please let me know.
Old 10-25-2012, 2:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Having a high magnification wouldn't make the rifle any less accurate. Also, it would be up to you to understand what your magnification is(it's not going to affect windage or drop). The problems with higher magnification are things like the exit pupil being smaller, the field of view getting smaller.
Old 10-25-2012, 2:27 PM

Make it at least a little challenging
Old 10-25-2012, 2:35 PM

Shooting at small targets? High mag needed for small targets. We chave a CZ 453 that sporting a 6-20.
Old 10-25-2012, 2:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Depends what you are shooting at and what distance. Just don't make the mistake of getting a rifle scope to double as a spotting scope.

As another line of scopes for a .22LR bolt rifle to take a look at, check out the offerings from Mueller Optics. I run a 4.5-14x40AO "APT Tactical" on my Savage TR and it's great out to 100 yards.
Old 10-25-2012, 2:51 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsx13 View Post
So i was checking out new scopes for my Savage Mkii Sv (21" barrel) and im kinda set on a BSA "sweet .22" scope. ive heard alot of decent things about them and not alot of complaints. however it is available in two different mags. 3-9x40 and 6-18x40.

would the 6-18x40 be too overkill to the point it actually makes the rifle more inaccurate? i.e taking a shot you think you could make because of the magnifacation , but missing because of drop/wind/rifle accuracy. I could see how a smaller magnifacation would foce you to get in a little closer, rather than be lazy and try to take the shot from a longer distance.

The rifle is used for back woods small game hunting/ targets
also if someone could recommend a better scope in the 100-160$ range please let me know.
Well 3-9x is better for hunting and adequate for target (casual) shooting @ 50yds. At 6x the 6-18x would not be optimum for hunting in heavily wooded areas for game such as squirrels but the 6-18x would be a better choice for target shooting. So the decision is for you to make, more hunting or more target shooting.

If you decide on the 3-9x this would be a better choice, parallax set at 50yds but a higher quality scope that either of the BSA sweet 22 scopes. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147...-reticle-matte

It is always better to pick better glass over higher magnification.

BSA scopes are made in Red China, hit and miss at best. Sightron scopes are made in Japan. You will not like BSA customer service if you need to use it but Sightron takes care of its customers and products. I have owned a number of cheap scopes including BSA, Tasco and Truglo. I don't own any now, all my scopes are either made in the Philippines (Nikon, some Weaver) or Japan (Sightron, Vortex Viper).

Cheap scopes with mediocre glass will affect your accuracy regardless of magnification. If you have never looked thru a rifle scope of good quality I suggest that you do before buying anything.

Last edited by Izzy43; 10-25-2012 at 2:56 PM..
Old 10-25-2012, 3:10 PM
Banned

I would go with the 3-9 for hunting and the 6-18 for target shooting.
Old 10-25-2012, 3:35 PM

I have a fixed 16x on each of my .22's and often wish I had a bit more magnification (shooting gongs at distance, not hunting).
Old 10-25-2012, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy43 View Post
Well 3-9x is better for hunting and adequate for target (casual) shooting @ 50yds. At 6x the 6-18x would not be optimum for hunting in heavily wooded areas for game such as squirrels but the 6-18x would be a better choice for target shooting. So the decision is for you to make, more hunting or more target shooting.

If you decide on the 3-9x this would be a better choice, parallax set at 50yds but a higher quality scope that either of the BSA sweet 22 scopes. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147...-reticle-matte

It is always better to pick better glass over higher magnification.

BSA scopes are made in Red China, hit and miss at best. Sightron scopes are made in Japan. You will not like BSA customer service if you need to use it but Sightron takes care of its customers and products. I have owned a number of cheap scopes including BSA, Tasco and Truglo. I don't own any now, all my scopes are either made in the Philippines (Nikon, some Weaver) or Japan (Sightron, Vortex Viper).

Cheap scopes with mediocre glass will affect your accuracy regardless of magnification. If you have never looked thru a rifle scope of good quality I suggest that you do before buying anything.
some very good info in there and very helpful, i do like the idea of going with something japan made rather than china. and also, i guess it doesnt matter how much magnification there is if it cant hold a zero.

Any other scope recommendations? i would be all over that sitron, however i like having open windage and elevation adjustments, i dont really like them capped off...
Old 10-25-2012, 6:34 PM

Just remove the caps. The Weaver V series are nice.
Old 10-25-2012, 6:42 PM
CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator

I think most of the scopes that have uncovered turrets (no caps) fall into the Tactical category of which I am not familiar.
Old 10-25-2012, 6:56 PM
Veteran Member

I don't think a 6-18x scope is too much for your 22---way back when I was building my Volquartsen 10-22 heavy barrel rifle (early 90s?), the only scope I had laying around was a used 6.5-20x Leupold---I sent it back to Leupold to be fitted with target knobs and slapped it on the converted rifle---I've never shot a more accurate 22---I've shot a couple of bolt-action 22s that are about as accurate, but this is a semi-auto! I like that you can shoot and see the holes appear on your target! I say; Go for it!
Old 10-25-2012, 7:17 PM

Well I have a Leupold BR36x on my custom 10/22. So 6-18x isn't that much...
Old 10-25-2012, 9:38 PM

Nikon makes some decent scopes in the Buckmasters line. I have a 6-18x40 on my savage. It's mostly for target shooting but also works well for squirrels and other smallish game. I've had good luck with it so far and it also has an extra set of target style turrets included.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 PM

It all depends on what your definition of small game is. Are we talking squirrels or flies? I think you will have no issues with the 6-18X, you have a pretty good spread and it should work well for you.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM

I went through 3 different 6-24 scope and didn't like them. There was one where the performance was great but it was like looking through a straw. I settled for a 3-12x50 with really thin crosshairs and a rangefinding reticle.

Make sure you get mildot or something with hash marks. When I shoot subsonics I know its one mil down at 100yrds or a 10mph full value cosswind is 1 mil over. 50 yards is one mil up. Its a really easy system but different with most Scopes.

At 3x I can shoot offhand with good results. 6x I could not

I was always frustrated with the thick crosshair Scopes (all simmons even the 6-20x50 white tail). They always covered up my target (half dollar sized spinners at 100 yrds) the accuracy wasnt repeatable either I could see my bullets going into the target everywhere but where I was a aiming.

My recommendations would be

Cheap:
3-12
Tasco Varmint 6-24x40mm mildot

Expensive:
Thin reticle Leupold or Vortex
Nikons are good but almost all have really thick reticles

I still can't justify a high end scope on anything more than a .243
Though I Did mount a Leupold VX-3 on my AR and my jaw dropped when I first looked through it

Last edited by JonJK; 10-26-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 12:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For hunting and casual target shooting a 2-7x Rimfire or 3-9x Rimfire scope is ideal. For serious target shooting at 50+ yards anything up to 40x a plus. I use a Weaver V24 6-24x42 on a couple of my target rifles and have a fixed 24x on another.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association