Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 10-30-2012, 1:45 PM

Default Bad News, Good News

So, I posted here a few months ago about my tribulations with my anti-gun spouse. I very much appreciated all the support and encouragement I got here, so I wanted to check in and update the interested on how I'm doing.

Since last I posted, my spouse and I have done some pretty extensive counseling and have come to the conclusion that there's no middle ground between our respective positions. I'm looking for a job right now (because I've been working for my spouse's business) and as soon as I find one, my daughter and I will be leaving. I'm not particularly angry or bitter about this - more disappointed that a relationship I invested 13 years in is ending...but I'm about to turn 40 and not willing to be unhappy and unsatisfied any longer.

On the upside, I've been doing a lot more shooting - IDPA matches, and also as an assistant instructor for a series of women's shooting clinics here. I also started the DROS and waiting period on my first firearms purchase today - I pick up my Springfield XD9 a week from Friday.

Thank you all again for your words of encouragement and support, public and private. It means so much to me to know I'm not alone right now.

Tammy

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." ~ Amelia Earhart

"Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you make it." ~ Unknown

Last edited by tlcwrites; 10-30-2012 at 6:37 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 2:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Sorry to hear about all of this but it sounds like you have already started on the road to happiness.

Hope that everything works out for both of you and your family. Get out and have fun (sounds like you already are ).
WTB: multiautomatic ghost gun with a .30-caliber clip to disperse with 30 bullets within half a second. Must include shoulder thing that goes up. Memberships/Affiliations: CERT, ARRL ARES, NRA Patron Member, HRC, CGN/CGSSA, Cal-FFL
Old 10-30-2012, 2:19 PM

Good to hear from you! I love my XD9! I am sorry to hear that your relationship has ended, I think we have all been there before when you need to make decisions that you don't necessarily like but know they have to be made. Don't be a stranger!!
Old 10-30-2012, 2:52 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

thanks for the update!
you sound good.
congrats on the new pistol!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 10-30-2012, 6:08 PM

Hey Tammy, come here and vent away and tell us about your new Springfield. I have heard nothing but good reports.

It sounds like you have made some definitive decisions. Much better than wringing your hands. You go girl.

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 PM

Thanks, as always, for the support, y'all. Really appreciated it. Reinforces yet again why I feel like, in the gun community, I've found my home and my people. :-)

It's hard right now, because Alex and I have made the decision to separate, but until I actually have a job I can't really easily LEAVE. So things are stressful and uncomfortable. But this too shall pass...and a friend has offered me and my daughter a place to stay for a while if things really go south and an expeditious escape becomes necessary.

My new pistol is an XD9, which fits my (not especially small, but not especially large, either) hands surprisingly well for being about as sleek and ergonomic as a cinder block. I was actually planning to buy an M&P 9C, but a good deal at my local gun shop plus an inventory issue getting a 9C in stock for me, sold me on the XD. I can't get a CCW in my county at this moment anyway, so the extra size is no biggie...and probably works in my favor for IDPA. I haven't decided what I'm going to name her yet.

Here's a photo I took Iin the store - I pick her up a week from Friday, and she'll shoot her first IDPA match three weeks later:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1351660529.594503.jpg

Anybody in or near Santa Barbara county and want to take her on her first range trip with me in a couple of weeks? :-)

Warmly,
Tammy

"Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace." ~ Amelia Earhart

"Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you make it." ~ Unknown