Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-03-2012, 3:15 PM
Calguns Addict

AAA here, i looked over my policy and didnt see anything against guns.
I have heard others say 500$ or 2500$ for all etc
Old 11-03-2012, 3:40 PM

State Farm covers $5000.00 through my home owners but I'm adding a separate itemized policy that will cover up to $20,000.00 for $329.00 a year, no deductible. And a little peace of mind.
Old 11-03-2012, 5:34 PM

Does anyone think any of those pictured there will be anything but a drain on the system ie welfare , section 8 housing ,And good old prison which isnt cheap? Maybe they will go to school and become contributing members of society ,Dont think so
Old 11-03-2012, 5:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Projected cost per each juvenile in our prison system is $60,000 a year. Not including special medical care if they need it. That is the new projected cost which is down from where it was. If they do 2 years or longer and 75% recidivism, you can just imagine how much we tax payers are paying. I can imagine what someone will post about this.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 11-03-2012, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
AAA here, i looked over my policy and didnt see anything against guns.
I have heard others say 500$ or 2500$ for all etc
Firearms on a AAA policy need to be individually endorsed on your home owner's/renter's policy in order to obtain coverage for your firearms exceeding $1500 in value. An inspection would need to be done on each individual firearm you want coverage for. Without the separate endorsement, the maximum firearm coverage is $1500. To get started go to your local AAA office, but leave the guns at home. They will send someone out to your home to do the inspection. You will not be able to provide the pictures yourself, it must be done by a AAA agent or inspector.

EDIT - Just noticed you're in Norcal. The info above applies to Socal AAA policies. Two different companies even though it's the same state.

Last edited by jdmstuff; 11-03-2012 at 8:23 PM..
Old 11-03-2012, 9:13 PM

Did they catch these DBs yet???
Old 11-03-2012, 10:54 PM

It sickens me to read what happened to you. It sounds like you have a good plan in motion to be better protected in the future. I really hope that with the clear photos of the perps, that they are eventually caught. Getting a dog too as I read you were going to do is a good idea. They don't need to be aggressive, just bark a lot at strangers. I hope you never have to go through anything like this again.
Old 11-04-2012, 1:06 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

At least you can get a dog. I had a nice stray that sat outside barked at people, aunt came over and made the dog disappear. Just fed her and watered her and she loved me. Money can't buy that kind of loyalty or conscious alert system. On a relevant note. Do the alarms/systems you are interested in start recording when the dog barks? I dunno how "exotic" of a system that would be.
Old 11-04-2012, 1:00 AM

My AAA covers my firearms, but I'm also in NorCal.
Old 11-04-2012, 7:23 AM
Calguns Addict

So I heard some more bad news, a few blocks away there was a home invasion about 3am either friday or saturday morning.
sucks to heard this kind of crap. still waiting to hear more details.
Old 11-04-2012, 8:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

^Hope you got that alarm installed buddy
Old 11-04-2012, 8:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Its installed.
Old 11-04-2012, 8:38 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Its installed.
Old 11-04-2012, 9:25 AM

I do check: www.crimereports.com. I have told my clients about this site since I'm a real estate broker. It's free and you can check on burglaries & the time it occurs around your area. Tells you about registered sex offenders too.
Old 11-04-2012, 1:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Police have photos of their faces. I really don't understand why they can't catch these guys.
"Reloading is kind of like crocheting for the gun enthusiast with the one exception that while you can have too many drink coasters and ski hats, you cannot have too much ammo." ~Bryansix
Old 11-05-2012, 6:41 AM

The suspects that burglarized your home fit a very common profile. Most of the burglaries committed by black suspects are from an organized ring and most of them are gang bangers. These types of burglaries are very wide spread these days and getting worse. These a--holes don't work a normal job. This kind of activity IS their occupation.

They have been stealing dogs too, especially pure bred or small dogs that they think they can sell. Some folks have had their small dogs killed or brutalized by these animals.

Cameras are nice to have, but they are useless without a house alarm as well.

I have cameras, a house alarm that includes a few extra motion sensors, and I am in the process of getting a safe. A house alarm will not keep these animals out of your home, but an alarm will greatly cut down the time they spend inside your home. It will leave them with NO time to break into a safe or steal a safe. They know the police will be there soon. It is a good deterrent.

Here is the most common M/O that these animals use:

They almost always burglarize homes during the day and late afternoon while folks are at work/school. Very few residential burglaries happen at night these days. They operate in groups of 2-4. They keep at least one guy in a position somewhere near the target house as a "lookout" and they commonly keep open communication via cell phone while the burglary is taking place.

They love to target Asian or Indian owned homes because they believe they will find horded cash, jewelry and/or concealable electronics inside. Leaving your shoes on the front porch is just one thing they look for. Obviously, they do not target Asian/Indian owned homes exclusively.

Usually, they will drive around until they find a house that is appealing to them. They drop off one or two guys and the car drives off to scout the neighborhood and to see if any cops are cruising around. The guys on foot will knock on the door to see if they get an answer. If they get an answer, they usually claim to be a salesman. If they know someone is home, they will move on to a different house. If nobody answers, they will split up and one guy will go into the backyard to look through windows to make sure nobody is home. They then meet up with the car again and they cruise the neighborhood another time. They then return to drop off 2 or 3 guys who break into the home. The driver will park where he can still see the house and act as the lookout and he will almost always be using a cell phone.

I cannot stress enough, to instruct your family members that if a stranger is knocking in the door, keep the door closed and locked, but yell through the door and say that you are "busy and not interested." That way, they know someone is home and they will move on. I instructed my wife to say, "Sorry, but i'm not interested and my husband is busy painting a room right now." Too many people stay quiet because they are afraid.

Another M/O we have seen recently, is these idiots will pretend to be just passing out flyers. They will use the door knock routine and if nobody answers, they put a specific color flyer on the door. They may do this to several homes in the neighborhood. They return later, and do a second door knock. If there is still no answer, they hit the house. With this method, they may hit a few houses in the same neighborhood, then leave.

Another common thing they look for is houses that are tented for pests. They LOVE breaking into these houses because they know the electricity will be turned off, thus, no alarm. If you tent your home, do yourself a favor end rent an RV and live in it in front of your home while it is being tented. It would be cheaper than a hotel, most likely.

Sorry for the long post. That is all.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 11-05-2012, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryansix View Post
The Police have photos of their faces. I really don't understand why they can't catch these guys.
If the police processed the house for finger prints, they will get these guys. It did not look like they wore gloves. You cannot expect the police to catch a person solely off a photograph. Facial recognition technology is not widely used, nor is it very advance. The photos are grainy and there would be many thousands of suspects that fit their profile.

"If you expect logic associated with California law, it will only make your head hurt.." - Ron-Solo, 2013
Old 11-05-2012, 8:41 AM

what recommendations do any of you have for apartment dwellers? No slab access to bolt a safe thru, so the best I can come up with is a cheaper safe lag-bolted to a support beam. Camera and alarm options seem to be limited to wireless options. And no way to grow biological barbed wire plants outside
Old 11-05-2012, 9:12 AM
Veteran Member

So whats the latest? Any update?

Don't want to read through 8 pages to find out..

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 11-05-2012, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phugedaboudet View Post
what recommendations do any of you have for apartment dwellers? No slab access to bolt a safe thru, so the best I can come up with is a cheaper safe lag-bolted to a support beam. Camera and alarm options seem to be limited to wireless options. And no way to grow biological barbed wire plants outside
my curiosities as well.
Old 11-05-2012, 7:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Our neighborhood is furious, There was a home invasion thursday 3am, Today monday another home was broken into, but this time a neighbor saw and call the cops. They got their lic plate and it was out of oakland from what I heard.

We had a quick neighborhood meeting. approx 75 people showed up maybe more.
We all pay taxes and the invited police didnt show. This train is on a roll.
Old 11-05-2012, 9:36 PM

Tell the police if nothin is resolved that people in your neighborhood will start acting themselves, they will definitively show up
Old 11-05-2012, 9:47 PM

Hey darklyte,

If they catch these guys or there is another big update, can you edit the thread title and add "updated" or something? Getting too long to keep up with but I'd like to know what comes of this!

My YouTube Channel
Old 11-06-2012, 4:44 PM

Quote:
been busy with work, insurance list of items and other stuff.
ill try to do that soon.

I didnt see any reason why insurance wont cover my guns.
I have Traveler's, they covered my 1911 and all the ammo that was stolen without batting an eyelash. Plus I have a 'cost of replacement' clause that allows me to recover the depreciation.

For example, they stole a $2000 (in 2003) laptop and a $1000 1911
Depreciation had the laptop at $250, and the 1911 at $950
Traveler's cut me a check for $1200
I bought a new $1000 laptop, and a $2000 1911, submitted my receipts and got another check for $1800.

The numbers are not exact, but give you the idea.

When they kick in your front door,
How you gonna come?
With your hands on your head,
Or on the trigger of your gun?
Old 11-06-2012, 4:49 PM

when you getting the dog?

I feel pretty good about sleeping with the alarm armed dog in the room and 1911 in the night stand.

good to hear you got treated pretty well by your home owners insurance.
Old 11-06-2012, 5:22 PM
Calguns Addict

I sent off the paperwork for the insurance yesterday.
I am pretty sure they should cover my 2 pistols.
I just reordered the RIA 1911 tactical from grabagun.com

Now Im waiting on the vzgrips coupon to show up again.

For now my bedside gun is a XDm with nightsights...
Otherwise it was my 1911 and M&P.

The benefit of this I guess is that I will get another Canon T4i Camera but instead of my Tamron 18-270mm lens, ill go with a canon 18-200mm

Some reason the camera store was bashing tamron and said it rhymes with tampon.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Our neighborhood is furious, There was a home invasion thursday 3am, Today monday another home was broken into, but this time a neighbor saw and call the cops. They got their lic plate and it was out of oakland from what I heard.

We had a quick neighborhood meeting. approx 75 people showed up maybe more.
We all pay taxes and the invited police didnt show. This train is on a roll.
Sorry to hear about the burglaries. At this neighborhood meeting, just curious if there was a trend with the homes broken into? What were the commonalities in these homes that the crooks targeted? No dog, no alarms, etc. Happy to hear that you've made necessary changes to your home to prevent this from happening again. Certainly sounds like they're stupid enough to give your safe a second attempt. Best of luck in getting your gear back!
Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Agent 86
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed24-7 View Post
Excellent, info-packed post.
Thank you.
Nothing to be sorry for.
Old 11-07-2012, 1:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phugedaboudet View Post
Hidden compartments in the wall, floor, cabinets...etc. Hide your items in a place that would take them hours to find...these guys have minutes, not hours.
Old 11-07-2012, 1:21 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalbud View Post
Hidden compartments in the wall, floor, cabinets...etc. Hide your items in a place that would take them hours to find...these guys have minutes, not hours.
When my fathers house was broken into, they had hours. They turned on every light in the house as they rummaged through it. And this was from 1 to 5 am in the morning. You'd think someone would have wondered why the lights were all blazing at that time.

They crawled completely through the attic and all through the crawl space looking for hidden storage spots. They overturned every bookshelf, desk, and bureau. They emptied every single can and jar in the house and frig looking for hidden storage. It was completely and thoroughly gone through and trashed.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 11-07-2012, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
When my fathers house was broken into, they had hours. They turned on every light in the house as they rummaged through it. And this was from 1 to 5 am in the morning. You'd think someone would have wondered why the lights were all blazing at that time.

They crawled completely through the attic and all through the crawl space looking for hidden storage spots. They overturned every bookshelf, desk, and bureau. They emptied every single can and jar in the house and frig looking for hidden storage. It was completely and thoroughly gone through and trashed.
that does not sound like a normal thing, an alarm would at the least prevent hours of searching......
Old 11-07-2012, 1:31 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
...They keep at least one guy in a position somewhere near the target house as a "lookout" and they commonly keep open communication via cell phone while the burglary is taking place.
... The driver will park where he can still see the house and act as the lookout and he will almost always be using a cell phone...
If this is the case then they can do a quick cross-reference for cell phones in your area, that were out of contact with each other, then back in contact with each other. All cells transmit data about everything now a days, including what phones were physically around it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6B5kgBNL74
Min. 48:00

I believe that any PI can pull that up, and maybe able to cross reference, most ricky-tik. Might be worth a try?
Old 11-07-2012, 4:44 PM

im patiently waiting for an update that says "thieves were caught with multiple gun shot wounds during recent burglary attempt"
Old 11-07-2012, 7:49 PM

I'm glad I have dogs and alarm but after reading this thread I have some great new ideas on sharp vegetation for the fences!

And sorry OP for what you're going through because of those f'in punks.
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 11-07-2012, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-wick View Post
im patiently waiting for an update that says "thieves were caught with multiple gun shot wounds during recent burglary attempt"
So am I , and the corpses eaten by local rabid dogs.
Old 11-08-2012, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equis View Post
So am I , and the corpses eaten by local rabid dogs.
After going through a meat grinder
Old 11-10-2012, 8:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
If the police processed the house for finger prints, they will get these guys. It did not look like they wore gloves. You cannot expect the police to catch a person solely off a photograph. Facial recognition technology is not widely used, nor is it very advance. The photos are grainy and there would be many thousands of suspects that fit their profile.
First of all, Facial Recognition is already good enough. Otherwise they wouldn't be rolling this out. Its simple math of ratios for eyes to mouth to nose. No two people are the same. http://rt.com/usa/news/fbi-recognition-system-ngi-640/

Secondly, In the previous 100 years or so there was another way of catching these guys. Its called a "Wanted" poster and within the last 50-60 years you can get the Media to play it on the local news too. Its obvious the police don't want to catch these guys. Maybe the police are on their payroll.

OP, maybe try enrolling the help of the FBI. Note that the Police never showed up to the last call.
"Reloading is kind of like crocheting for the gun enthusiast with the one exception that while you can have too many drink coasters and ski hats, you cannot have too much ammo." ~Bryansix
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Fingerprinting is not that good. It doesn't work like TV where the cops can dust a room and get a perfect handprint. Most people smear when they leave a print, rendering it useless. The perps were also wearing gloves.

I've been robbed before. The twerp stole a car and then wrecked it. Being naive, and it being a cold and rainy night, I offered him a ride back into town. He told me to take him to a store that was closed, I told him no, he started getting violent. Long story short, I broke his nose after taking three solid punches to the face, he got away without leaving any prints, and I helped the detective catch him about a month later. I ID'd him through his jail booking photograph. He'd already been incarcerated, and I nailed him for his third strike. Now he's going to get let go, because CA is stupid enough to get rid of the three strikes law.

Also, fancy door jambs and metal doors and solid locks, etc. Won't stop a criminal. For some reason ( ) we Americans seem to cover 30-90% of our exterior walls with glass.
Old 11-11-2012, 4:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The suspects that burglarized your home fit a very common profile. Most of the burglaries committed by black suspects are from an organized ring and most of them are gang bangers. These types of burglaries are very wide spread these days and getting worse. These a--holes don't work a normal job. This kind of activity IS their occupation.

They have been stealing dogs too, especially pure bred or small dogs that they think they can sell. Some folks have had their small dogs killed or brutalized by these animals.

Cameras are nice to have, but they are useless without a house alarm as well.

I have cameras, a house alarm that includes a few extra motion sensors, and I am in the process of getting a safe. A house alarm will not keep these animals out of your home, but an alarm will greatly cut down the time they spend inside your home. It will leave them with NO time to break into a safe or steal a safe. They know the police will be there soon. It is a good deterrent.

Here is the most common M/O that these animals use:

They almost always burglarize homes during the day and late afternoon while folks are at work/school. Very few residential burglaries happen at night these days. They operate in groups of 2-4. They keep at least one guy in a position somewhere near the target house as a "lookout" and they commonly keep open communication via cell phone while the burglary is taking place.

They love to target Asian or Indian owned homes because they believe they will find horded cash, jewelry and/or concealable electronics inside. Leaving your shoes on the front porch is just one thing they look for. Obviously, they do not target Asian/Indian owned homes exclusively.

Usually, they will drive around until they find a house that is appealing to them. They drop off one or two guys and the car drives off to scout the neighborhood and to see if any cops are cruising around. The guys on foot will knock on the door to see if they get an answer. If they get an answer, they usually claim to be a salesman. If they know someone is home, they will move on to a different house. If nobody answers, they will split up and one guy will go into the backyard to look through windows to make sure nobody is home. They then meet up with the car again and they cruise the neighborhood another time. They then return to drop off 2 or 3 guys who break into the home. The driver will park where he can still see the house and act as the lookout and he will almost always be using a cell phone.

I cannot stress enough, to instruct your family members that if a stranger is knocking in the door, keep the door closed and locked, but yell through the door and say that you are "busy and not interested." That way, they know someone is home and they will move on. I instructed my wife to say, "Sorry, but i'm not interested and my husband is busy painting a room right now." Too many people stay quiet because they are afraid.

Another M/O we have seen recently, is these idiots will pretend to be just passing out flyers. They will use the door knock routine and if nobody answers, they put a specific color flyer on the door. They may do this to several homes in the neighborhood. They return later, and do a second door knock. If there is still no answer, they hit the house. With this method, they may hit a few houses in the same neighborhood, then leave.

Another common thing they look for is houses that are tented for pests. They LOVE breaking into these houses because they know the electricity will be turned off, thus, no alarm. If you tent your home, do yourself a favor end rent an RV and live in it in front of your home while it is being tented. It would be cheaper than a hotel, most likely.

This is good info. But if you try and be proactive with the cops like providing information on something suspicious, you are treated like the criminal. I call my local Sheriff dispatch about some hispanic dudes who I surprised walking around my yard. When I caught them they claimed (They spoke bad English)to be looking for work as gardeners. I escorted them off the property and to their truck. Got the license plate and called the Sheriff. (It was a nice clean, lowered truck by the way.) She acted like I WAS THE CRIMINAL?! Harassing the scum who were trespassing on MY property. And it was interesting a month later a property a block away was ransacked during the day. I will still call the Sheriff, but be prepared to be treated like you are the cause of all the trouble.
Old 11-11-2012, 5:36 AM
Calguns Addict

Insurance called me and said they would cut me a check for about 6k$ that includes the 1000$ deductible, so technically im getting 7k for the 10,100$ worth of stolen goods so far.

I need to add a PS3 controller to that list, repair the broken lock on the window.

Its not settled yet though since we need to receive the paperwork and look over it to see if the replacement values are correct.

The items that need to be replaced are the laptop, camera, 2 carry on luggage, 2 pistols and safe, body armor with plate carrier. 4 purses are irreplaceable, ammo doesnt need to be replaced since i have more. New security camera is already in place along with alarm. Looked at a dog yesterday.

The 499.99$ PS3 Metal Gear Solid bundle from 2008 is not replaceable because they no longer make it, plus it was a backwards compatible one with older PS2 games.