Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-27-2012, 1:27 PM

Sad, so sad, but the pictures will sure help!! They are probably in the system and someone will recognize the face. I use bulletproofme for my body armor as well.

To slow down the BG's, the room and closet with the safe/guns both have exterior door/home locks on them and the hinges and jams are reinforced (3-4" screws). I know they still can kick them in BUT it does slow them down, and maybe that is all you need.

Break in- alarm goes off, go to a locked bedroom door, damm, kick it in, go to closet, damm locked too, kick it in. Safe, bolted or chained to stud, damm again!! Better go!!

Commander of Front Sight Member
Old 10-27-2012, 1:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
Break in- alarm goes off, go to a locked bedroom door, damm, kick it in, go to closet, damm locked too, kick it in. Safe, bolted or chained to stud, damm again!! Better go!!
Layers; just like the better way to stay warm on a cold day.
Old 10-27-2012, 2:04 PM
Calguns Addict

I took these to the range posted those around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gunspic.jpg (100.5 KB, 325 views)
File Type: jpg suspectspic.jpg (91.9 KB, 310 views)
Old 10-27-2012, 2:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanAnchors View Post
Take all my stuff but not my guns!
Never steal a man's guns.
I hope they get 20 years for that crap.
It is catch and release these days.
Old 10-27-2012, 2:35 PM

When you bolt down your safe indoors.
Don’t bolt it to the wall at a 2X4 stud. The weight and momentum of getting it to move will tear the lag bolt out from the wall. This is even more true when bolting it to a floor joist beam. Get a quarter inch thick plate steel cut to fit between two of the floor Joist beams. Fill the gap between the steel plate and your floor boards with 2X4 and whatever else so there is no air gap there. Then get grade 8 all thread rod the biggest diameter you can get to fit thru the hole that should already be in the safes floor and bolt it as close as you can to a hole in the wood and steel plate’s center. Strong friends are always a plus and a small floor jack to raise the plate to the floor joists and hold it there as you bolt it up.
Old 10-27-2012, 3:25 PM
buns4life
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darklyte27 View Post
I took these to the range posted those around.

Try liquor stores, places they would buy clothes, kfc, etc.

Old 10-27-2012, 3:58 PM

CRAP...sorry to hear that man.

When I first started working at a gun store years ago, all my guns were just in cases in the closet or under the bed. Then it seemed like once a week someone came in talking about how ALL their guns had just been stolen. After about ten or so of these stories, I went and dropped a couple of grand (the cost of one nice gun) on a safe and an alarm system. Best money ever spent, now I sleep like a baby!
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch3 View Post

I have always heard Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store...
Old 10-27-2012, 4:21 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Submit it to local patch.com editors w/ pics. Don't have to specifically mention firearm theft, just the fact of the burglary. Sounds like many are learning new security ideas from your misfortune, I hope they catch these dirtbags.
Old 10-27-2012, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

whats patch? they dont have my city listed.
Old 10-27-2012, 4:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gleam View Post
May I suggest another interesting idea?

After you bolt down your real safe, the big one (maybe in a room or closet where you can also lock the door)....

Get a couple of those inexpensive Honeywell duffle-bag sized or dorm-refrigerator sized safes from somewhere like Big Lots or Costco that go for about $60 ($39 on sale). Put them around in conspicuous locations - don't bother to bolt them down - and load them up with a couple of heavy rocks and some small rocks.

A thief won't try to open it during the burglary, but they'll imagine all kinds of goodies inside, especially if you put something like an NRA, H&K, Browning, or SIG SAUER sticker on the outside of it.

It will bog them down, be cumbersome especially at about 50 to 60 pounds each; so the two or three safes will likely be the only thing they try to snatch; with a couple around the house, each idiot will try to carry one of them, debilitating them from being able to carry much of anything else. Thinking they scored big, they will take those and those alone and not bother with wasting time trying to get into the big safes or trying to carry out what are perceived as less promising items.

The mini-safes would be heavy for them to carry, so it will likely be the only thing they steal. They'll hobble with it back to their car. They won't make multiple trips to and from the car as that would be too obvious; just the mini-safes thinking they scored big and "this is great, let's get out of here!".

Miles away, back at their rat-hole, they will finally manage to pry them open and find they are no better off than Charlie Brown on Halloween.

Considering the cost people spend on security and high-end technology to try to STOP a thief (often you don't stop them; you might not even slow them down) the cost and care to plant a couple of decoys likes this is peanuts, and likely to work better than most anything else. The mistake people often make about home security is not putting themselves into the position of being the thief; they only think in terms of what makes themselves "feel" secure, as opposed to role-playing and being creative enough to hypothesize how they might rob their own house. What would they take? What would they do?

And dogs are still one of the best deterrents you can have above anything else.
The problem with this strategy is the follow-on visit. Residences burglarized once are statistically more likely to be hit again since the bad guys know there's stuff they didn't get the first time.Assuming they crack the decoy safes and find rocks not only are they going to be pissed off, but the bad guys now KNOW you have something valuable in the home. Why else would you go to the trouble of hiding decoy safes everywhere?

Considering that the clearance rate for burglaries by police is less than 20%, the bad guys won't think anything of trying again and systematically searching the premises for the real goods. What's the worst that could happen to them in a liberal paradise like California? They do 3 months for a misdemeanor? They certainly won't be afraid of being shot dead by the homeowner!

The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.
Old 10-27-2012, 4:43 PM
Calguns Addict

I know they have a count of grand theft, 400$ or more for CA

Grand theft is committed when the value of stolen property exceeds $400.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_theft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony

Burglary is a felony from what i read, they broke into my home, breaking and entering have stolen about 10k$ worth of goods from me.
Old 10-27-2012, 4:45 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Execute. If we're lucky they'll get gunned down by the police.

Government Official Lies
. F r e e d o m . D i e s .
Old 10-27-2012, 6:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverTauron View Post
The problem with this strategy is the follow-on visit. Residences burglarized once are statistically more likely to be hit again since the bad guys know there's stuff they didn't get the first time.Assuming they crack the decoy safes and find rocks not only are they going to be pissed off, but the bad guys now KNOW you have something valuable in the home. Why else would you go to the trouble of hiding decoy safes everywhere?

Considering that the clearance rate for burglaries by police is less than 20%, the bad guys won't think anything of trying again and systematically searching the premises for the real goods. What's the worst that could happen to them in a liberal paradise like California? They do 3 months for a misdemeanor? They certainly won't be afraid of being shot dead by the homeowner!
You really think I am worried about pissing off the people that broke into my home? That's like saying "Here, have at my rectum all you want - I wouldn't want to make you nice fellows stealing my things angry!".

The problem with your assessment of the strategy is that you are thinking I would propose that as the only thing to do; hardly so. Adding this to the mix of all the other things people are doing to protect their home is no more silly than anything else but I think is a very effective ruse on the burglars that would likely work 90% of the time. How is it any worse or more expensive than the cameras systems, central alarm systems, special locks, bars/security doors, safes, dogs for that reason alone, special thorned plants around the windows, etc. people utilize?

Also, by our own acknowledgment; they are likely to come back a 2nd time anyway. So this 2nd time you'll be better prepared; you now know how they got in, and how they work, and you have pictures of them - but you lost nothing but a couple of cheap safes the first time around, and some rocks.

You are thinking like a victim, not thinking strategically. Seriously - you don't want to make the burglars mad? Then just leave your doors unlocked and the guns on the table with a sign that says "Here gentleman, and there's some beer in the fridge - have at it".

Keep in mind that what I proposed is not a strategy; it's in addition to everything else. In this case, it would have worked; they stole the vault they could carry away, and left most everything else; what if all they got was rocks? And with what you are saying; what makes you think they wouldn't come back again even after getting the good stuff; merely because the good stuff gets replaced by insurance, so they come back after 6 months to try again because now they know you replaced it.

I am not worried about "pissing" off idiots that break into my home. And I would rather they go pound rocks. It's better than them getting your guns the first time around.

Last edited by The Gleam; 10-28-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Old 10-27-2012, 6:30 PM

You may wish to contact the Juvenile and Adult Division Director(s) of the Contra Costa Probation Dept. Let them know you have photos of two people who may be on probation and you wish "line staff" to be aware of their client's "activities." You could also contact Solano and Alameda Co's Probation Depts. If these two are in the system the Probation Dept's "Supervision Unit" Deputies or any other DPO should be able to determine who they are. If you are uncomfortable doing this make the suggestion to the police officer who is handling your home burglary investigation. As I am not in law enforcement the officer may have already done this.

I hope you get all of your property returned to you. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2012, 7:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

How about the Contra Costa Times and a local newspaper as well? The key to finding these cockroaches is giving them nowhere to hide. Residential burglaries happen every day, but you are ahead of the curve with those pictures - most people never ID the perp.

I also like the idea of distributing these pics with a concise, well-written letter to CoCo, Alameda, and Solano County Adult and Juvenile Probation Department, local PDs and the CCSO - but you've probably done some of this already. It wouldn't be that much work and you would get very broad distribution. Unfortunately, police resources are thin and so you might need to do some of the legwork for the best shot at finding them. Keep us posted.
Old 10-27-2012, 7:23 PM

Hey Darklyte27, I cropped and posted the 3 best pics on Craigslist's R&R, Maybe that will help. What other widely read local forum can it be posted on? Good luck, Buddy.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 PM
IN GOD WE TRUST!
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhall View Post
Hey Darklyte27, I cropped and posted the 3 best pics on Craigslist's R&R, Maybe that will help. What other widely read local forum can it be posted on? Good luck, Buddy.

Facebook!!!

Need a New Holster? Need a Off the Concepts holster!!! With a get discount? PM ME!!
WTS Cigar Aficionado's High End Accessories! http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1077342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt81 View Post
I'm serious.
Are you one of those .45 elitists?
Old 10-28-2012, 6:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhall View Post
I appreciate it, can you link me?

thanks

I have shared with FB this thread
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...an/gunspic.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...uspectspic.jpg

Last edited by Darklyte27; 10-28-2012 at 6:49 AM..
Old 10-28-2012, 8:21 AM

Btw, I worked in Loss Prevention not too long ago, The state bumped up Grand Theft to $1000 because it costs too much to prosecute everyone for $400. But Im sure they still stole enough to qualify at $1000.

Try posting on reddit.
Old 10-28-2012, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECG_88 View Post
Btw, I worked in Loss Prevention not too long ago, The state bumped up Grand Theft to $1000 because it costs too much to prosecute everyone for $400. But Im sure they still stole enough to qualify at $1000.

Try posting on reddit.
Would you mind posting those two pics for me?
Old 10-28-2012, 9:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeNSecure View Post
You may wish to contact the Juvenile and Adult Division Director(s) of the Contra Costa Probation Dept.
This is a good thought. It couldn't hurt to email or drop off the pictures. Smart!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Darklyte27 - Since you got the message, I've edited my post to reflect the same.

Again, good luck!

Last edited by The Gleam; 10-28-2012 at 10:51 AM..
Old 10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Calguns Addict

doh

thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Calguns Addict

This just makes me so angry! I am betting that we pay to feed these bastards with EBT cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I am a physician. I am held to being "the expert" in medicine. I can't fall back on feigned ignorance and the statement that the patient should have known better than I. When an officer "can't be expected to know the entire penal code", but a citizen is held to "ignorance is no excuse", this is equivalent to ME being able to sue my patient for my own malpractice-after all, the patient should have known better, right?
Old 10-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyca View Post
This just makes me so angry! I am betting that we pay to feed these bastards with EBT cards.
And eventually soon, providing them with health-care because they don't work. Their "job" is not documented and since the occupation of "Burglary" doesn't offer a medical plan, not even an HMO, when they gash their hand on a glass shard protruding from a window frame of a house they were breaking into, it will get stitched up with free Obamacare, on our dime.
Old 10-28-2012, 1:26 PM

Have you gone to the news media yet? their own mothers would turn them in. These are criminals they're not going to the range like you and I, so why bother posting pics at the range?
Old 10-28-2012, 3:14 PM

Dude you live right across gun point, make posters and put them up there and list reward te morons will probably be turned in
Old 10-28-2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gleam View Post
...when they gash their hand on a glass shard protruding from a window frame of a house they were breaking into, it will get stitched up with free Obamacare, on our dime they will successfully sue the homeowner for their medical bills
Fixed it for you

My YouTube Channel
Old 10-28-2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdarkness View Post
Have you gone to the news media yet? their own mothers would turn them in. These are criminals they're not going to the range like you and I, so why bother posting pics at the range?
If their mothers were the type of people that would turn them in, I doubt they would be doing this in the first place. In my experience when you show mothers evidence like this their first reaction is their baby was framed.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:44 PM

Bump this to the top. Sorry to hear about this Devil Dog. Stay up, those bastards will get theirs.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:07 AM

I wish it were law that if you catch people in the act of stealing firearms from the inside of your home that you have every right to shoot. Of you were home and they came in with intent to steal your guns and armor, they are most likely armed themselves and stupid enough to attack. That should constitute self defence in my opinion but the great state of kommifornia says no. Too bad... They'll get whats comin tho. They know your armed and are probably dumb enough to go back for more. Stay vigilant and be ready for anything. Those people are scum and deserve to be treated as such.

Gahhh this **** angers me. Ill give my friend in pittsburg these pix. He has a huge family there and they know a ton of people. Its a longshot but who knows.

These *******s need to be brought to justice...
Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 AM

I haven't read all 6 pages but how did you manage to get pics of the homies?
Old 10-29-2012, 1:13 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Don't know if those bozo's are smart enough or have the big brass ones for it... When I moved to Antioch off of Hillcrest when all of the new developments were springing up, it was like a freaking "all you can eat buffet" for burglars.

We had a lot of repeats in our development, occurring about 4-6 weeks after the initial burgulary. The perps would return to try and "double dip", figuring the items had been replaced with $$$ from an insurance claim settlement... in many instances, they were right.

Stay safe and stay alert...
Old 10-29-2012, 1:46 AM

I find it funny how they're wearing latex gloves yet don't wear masks... I do realize it's easier to find someone with fingerprints than just a picture of them, But those are some clear *** pics of there faces, That's not good! (For them, Lol).
Old 10-29-2012, 1:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do yourself a favor and start an Instagram account. Upload pics of the guns and the thieves. Hash tag the crap out of the pics. It sounds silly but I have seen in the last few weeks a runaway girl get found and a stolen car. Its simple free and you can reach 1000's of IG'ers with the right hash tags like your city,area code,state,zip code.
Old 10-29-2012, 2:16 AM

depends how motivated you are to find them.
perhaps they live locally, I would snag some yearbooks from some local schools. maybe go back 5 years depending on how old they look. use facebook to search classmen of these schools too. I would look at local barber shops that are in neighborhoods that serve the demographic they fit in. the guy in the dark shirt looks to have a tattoo of a name on his right forearm, if so hopefully he has been in trouble with the law before and the tattoo was documented by police. find one of them and im sure the others will be close by.
all it takes is time and energy but you can find them. the real problem is what to do after you find them.

My apt was broken into not long ago so I invested in a dlink wireless network cam that I setup to email me pics to my cell phone if it detect movements. it was so sensitive that the change in light from clouds in the sky registered as movement causing emails to fly. I had to adjust that setting a little so I dont get 50 emails in 5 minutes.
not bad a bad $90 spent. it doesnt prevent a break in but it will alert me so I can call the cops and/or get home to deal with them myself. I can even monitor it from my smart phone as a video stream that has audio. I now have eyes and ears inside my apt at all times.
Old 10-29-2012, 8:32 AM

I keep checking in to see if they were apprehended, god I hope they get caught and you revive your belongings
Old 10-29-2012, 8:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E__WOK View Post
I haven't read all 6 pages but how did you manage to get pics of the homies?
Ahhh With a camera?
Old 10-29-2012, 9:32 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guns4life View Post
Try liquor stores, places they would buy clothes, kfc, etc.
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 10-29-2012, 9:42 AM

That sucks, bro. Hope you get your stuff back.
4" Smith & Wesson Model 19
3.5" Smith & Wesson Model 29
Marlin 1894C
Colt Python
Colt Series 70