Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-16-2015, 9:40 PM

Default Briley 1911 Barrels

Anybody know anything about the Briley 1911 barrels? I know they're more famous for shotgun products and they make a a spherical bushing for the 1911 but not much info can be found about their barrels. I purchased a clark/ Para ramped 9mm 6" barrel to go into a 1911 longslide build on a TM 80%. I know the norm for top-end 1911 barrels are guys like Kart and Bar-Sto. But anybody got experience with Briley? The barrel + spherical bushing only cost $230. It would seem like they make a decent barrel since longslide options are rather limited. So, how do they compare to guys like Jarvis, Kart, Nowlin, Bar-sto, and so on?
If you need help with any stragglers, call a friend, because it's likely that they have a gun. America in particular have done exceptionally well taking care of the problem, as there are 1.12 guns for every 1 American citizen. So throw a rock, you'll probably hit a gun, pick up that gun, then shoot a zombie.
Old 08-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Calguns Addict

I have a Briley barrel in one of my USPSA Open Division racegun and it's accurate and very well made. With 1911 barrels you have to fit it correctly to get the utmost in accuracy. Barrel bushing to slide, barrel to bushing, barrel hood, upper lugs and slide stop to lower lugs.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 08-16-2015, 11:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The only high round count shooter I've known who used a Briley barrel used to complain about them all the time. He loved the gun and the accuracy was awesome, but every time something went a little wrong it had to be sent back to be fixed. I'm not sure whether that was due to his lack of confidence with the spherical bushing, or whether they actually are difficult to fit/tune. You may have better luck asking some of the guys on 1911forum. It's an awesome resource for 1911 info.
Old 08-17-2015, 2:12 PM

Thanks for the info,
I was online, searching the other forums and I just couldn't find any info on the barrel itself. A few discussions about their spherical bushings though. Seems like it's an easier way to get a very tight fit between the barrel and bushing since rather than filing/ lapping/ milling, you just measure the barrel and order the right size or in my case purchase as a matched set. I don't know much about barrel spring but it's something to do with an overly tight bushing right? I figure one less part I have to fit, one less step to screw up towards building a bullseyeish accurate 1911.
If you need help with any stragglers, call a friend, because it's likely that they have a gun. America in particular have done exceptionally well taking care of the problem, as there are 1.12 guns for every 1 American citizen. So throw a rock, you'll probably hit a gun, pick up that gun, then shoot a zombie.