Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 10-22-2012, 8:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Optics for dedicated bench rest

I have never really looked at optics for dedicated benchrest type setups, but I was curious what types of optics are popular in the high magnification league.

I saw this video and I was a little amazed, I guess I never looked hard enough but I didn’t know optics with such high magnification can be had.

While that scope (March 80x) is WAY out of my budget, what else is popular? I’m thinking the Vortex PST of dedicated bench rest optics from a price, optics, value standpoint.

I came across the Sightron SIII 10-50x60, but this is a new optics class/category to me. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just in case I wasn’t clear please don’t recommend the typical 4-16x, 5-20x 6-24x as I already have optics like that, and that’s not really what I am looking for.
Old 10-22-2012, 8:51 PM
Cattle Thieves Pro Staff

Don't know anything about sightron but MMMEGA Sale at SWFA on them right now.

http://swfa.com/Sightron-Closeouts-C4847.aspx
FS NIB Browning A5 12 gauge - $1,000 (over $500 off retail)
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1201509
Old 10-22-2012, 9:01 PM
Veteran Member

Being in So Cal, super high-powered optics will probably be worthless to you since mirage will destroy the image.

I am however quite curious about how he was shooting, i've never seen that kind of rest setup... looked like the little joystick he was working with his left hand was working windage somehow? Everything was so smooth... i was truly amazed.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 10-22-2012, 9:06 PM
Veteran Member

those are some expensive scope . that view of 100 yards on target is sick ! like using a spotter scope wow. thanks for that vid
Old 10-22-2012, 9:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK Dave View Post
Being in So Cal, super high-powered optics will probably be worthless to you since mirage will destroy the image.

I am however quite curious about how he was shooting, i've never seen that kind of rest setup... looked like the little joystick he was working with his left hand was working windage somehow? Everything was so smooth... i was truly amazed.
You are probably right… but I figure it can’t be worse than thought a spotter? I don’t know if the larger objective size of a spotter helps when looking thought atmosphere…

Either way, I would love to try and shoot some groups with a very high power hair thin reticle like that. I don’t need the scope, but I’m a big optics whore so I can’t help but want it haha.

His setup was the first I’ve seen like that… it looked like its riding on some type of suspension track or rail, it was kind of unreal to watch him fire off a big bore that fast, and with a group that’s rather impressive.
Old 10-22-2012, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not well versed with ultra high powered optics... just relaying the little info i know. The common complaint about ultra high powered optics seems to be mirage... even off the barrel of a rifle.

As for that guy shooting, the group at a 1000 yards is ridiculous at the speed he was shooting. You look at the "through the scope" portion and it looks like a 20x scope at 100 yards or something so you think... "eh not a big deal"... then you remember it's at 1000 yards. HOLY COW!
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 PM
Calguns Addict

It's a SEB Coaxial Front Rest.

http://www.sebcoax.com/

Expensive, very. There are other units from other mfgs like Farley. I've seen on in action at Camp Pendleton, it's very impressive.

The fate of the wounded rest in the hands of the ones who apply the first dressing.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Amazing! I'm a rimfire benchrest guy and not a long range guy but even for us 50m types a 16x or 24x scope is common and some use 36x scopes. If you can't see it you can't hit it.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association

Last edited by sholling; 10-22-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 9:02 PM

Default Optics

Nightforce 12-42x56 BR is probably the most common in the long range BR game. Sightron SIII 10-50x60 is the best value in my opinion. I have both.
If I could justify it, I'd have a March 10-60x. With the March, seeing bullet holes in the white at 600 yds. is not uncommon with no mirage.

We start shooting at ~8am and 42/50x is usable. When the temps go up later in the day, I'm down around 30-35x or so. A person could definitely get by with an 8-32x scope but, I wouldn't want to.

-Rick

Last edited by Switchbarrel; 11-17-2012 at 11:03 AM..
Old 11-13-2012, 6:03 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeX View Post
I have never really looked at optics for dedicated benchrest type setups, but I was curious what types of optics are popular in the high magnification league.

I saw this video and I was a little amazed, I guess I never looked hard enough but I didnít know optics with such high magnification can be had.

While that scope (March 80x) is WAY out of my budget, what else is popular? Iím thinking the Vortex PST of dedicated bench rest optics from a price, optics, value standpoint.

I came across the Sightron SIII 10-50x60, but this is a new optics class/category to me. Anyone have any suggestions?

Just in case I wasnít clear please donít recommend the typical 4-16x, 5-20x 6-24x as I already have optics like that, and thatís not really what I am looking for.
ExtremeX,

Just to chime in on that setup. I met the guys from Kelby and March at last years shot show and had the chance to play around with some of those scopes. Absolutely amazing, near incredible. I understand that March scopes are pricey and not as well known here yet, but from the construction, solid turrets, glass, etc, they are an amazing optic. I wanted to review that 80x but I would need to get out of Illinois to even make it worth while. At 600 yards here it might feel like my muzzle was touching the paper at 80x.

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 11-13-2012, 7:23 AM
Veteran Member

I can't even find where to buy a March scope. Is Kelby the only place? I'd like to try one.
Old 11-13-2012, 7:35 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Dave,

I believe Kelby is the only importer. Not 100% on that. I spoke with Ian Kelbly at SHOT and he is a good guy. Their contact info is on this page as well as the March scope section:

http://www.kelbly.com/actions.html

Trevor B.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 11-13-2012, 8:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchbarrel View Post
Nightforce 12-42x56 BR is probably the most common in the long range BR game. Sightron SIII 10-50x60 is the best value in my opinion. I have both.
If I could justify it, I'd have a March 10-60x. With the March, seeing bullet holes in the white at 600 yds. is not uncommon with no mirage.

We start shooting at ~8am and 42/50x is usable. When the temps go up later in the day, I'm down around 30-35x or so. A person could definitely get by with an 8-32x scope but, I wouldn't want to.

When I shot at sac valley 1000yard range in July the highest I could go was 12x. The Nightforce and Sightron seem cheap at only 1-1400$? I am going to have to see if I can find one to look through.

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 11-13-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinc View Post
When I shot at sac valley 1000yard range in July the highest I could go was 12x. The Nightforce and Sightron seem cheap at only 1-1400$? I am going to have to see if I can find one to look through.
Central valley in July is HOT! Sac. Valley is where I shoot the long range benchrest "Nationals" matches in April & used to be Oct. It's rare that I'm not above 30x there. (Granted I don't get out there nearly as much as I'd like to). The great thing about the NF & Sightron scopes is, you can get down to 12 or 10x if needed but still have a lot of magnification up top when needed and able. Nightforce ~$1350, Sightron SIII ~$850 ($799 when I bought all of mine). Nightforce can usually be found used for a couple hundred less on AccurateShooter dot com.

BR practice on Monday's or monthly matches on Sunday near the end of the month will provide you with the ability to look thru a NF BR scope. (@ Sac).

I thought there were 600 yard matches up near Redding somewhere...?

The clarity of the March is phenomenal, which is why I'd love to have their 10-60x. I was really "Jonesing" for an 8-80x when they were first announced. I've since spoke to several that have one or both and say the
8-80x is rarely usable from 60-80x and they've all recommended the 10-60x model. 5 year warranty, Kelbly's is the sole importer as far as I know.

-Rick
Old 11-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchbarrel View Post
Central valley in July is HOT! Sac. Valley is where I shoot the long range benchrest "Nationals" matches in April & used to be Oct. It's rare that I'm not above 30x there. (Granted I don't get out there nearly as much as I'd like to). The great thing about the NF & Sightron scopes is, you can get down to 12 or 10x if needed but still have a lot of magnification up top when needed and able. Nightforce ~$1350, Sightron SIII ~$850 ($799 when I bought all of mine). Nightforce can usually be found used for a couple hundred less on AccurateShooter dot com.

BR practice on Monday's or monthly matches on Sunday near the end of the month will provide you with the ability to look thru a NF BR scope. (@ Sac).

I thought there were 600 yard matches up near Redding somewhere...?

The clarity of the March is phenomenal, which is why I'd love to have their 10-60x. I was really "Jonesing" for an 8-80x when they were first announced. I've since spoke to several that have one or both and say the
8-80x is rarely usable from 60-80x and they've all recommended the 10-60x model. 5 year warranty, Kelbly's is the sole importer as far as I know.

-Rick
Yeah I really need to go out more. I just cant justify only being able to shoot 60-80rds for a 5hr round trip drive; when I have access to a 1400m range only 1.5hrs away. I would like to compete once I feel I am good enough though.

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson