Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 11-25-2012, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Default Can someone please explain IPSC scoring to me?

So, I'm looking over the scores from the Chabot match from this past Saturday and it's the best I've ever done. I'm quite pleased with my performance over the last match I went to that I completely bombed. However, I'm still confused on the scoring. As a newb, what is more important to focus on? Accuracy or speed? It seems to me that being more accurate is better, but looking at the scores, I see people with way faster times than me, but way more penalties and they've ranked higher. So in that case, it seems that speed is more important than accuracy.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 11-25-2012, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Shoot better, faster. If you are shooting all A's you are shooting too slow.

Chabot doesn't have IPSC, IIRC. Which match did you shoot?

With these types of games, speed is usually more important. If you are shooting A's step on the gas until you are hitting A and C and then back off a little.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelogic View Post
Shoot better, faster. If you are shooting all A's you are shooting too slow.

Chabot doesn't have IPSC, IIRC. Which match did you shoot?

With these types of games, speed is usually more important. If you are shooting A's step on the gas until you are hitting A and C and then back off a little.
Chabot does have IPSC, it doesn't have IDPA.
USPSA = IPSC
Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 PM

It's all about points per second. Your score is determined by what is called the hit factor (points divided by time it takes you to get them). If the stage is worth 100 points (max target points available if you shoot all A hits) and you get all 100 points and take 10 seconds to do so, thats a 10 hit factor (100 points / 10 seconds) or in other words you got 10 points per second. Someone else gets 90 points (didn't shoot all A hits on all targets) and takes 8 seconds, his hit factor is 11.25 and he beats you because he got 11.25 points per second.

It's all about the balance of speed versus accuracy. The name of the game is going fast enough to get the most points you can get while not wasting time getting those points. Rule of thumb is you should be shooting accurate enough to garner 90-94 % of the available points at the speed you are going at. Any slower and you are typically wasting time, any faster and you are typically wasting points

Last edited by GeoffLinder; 11-25-2012 at 11:38 PM..
Old 11-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
Chabot does have IPSC, it doesn't have IDPA.
USPSA = IPSC
Shooters commonly call USPSA IPSC, but they are 2 different organizations with different rules. In the US, we shoot USPSA, the rest of the world shoots IPSC.
Old 11-26-2012, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffLinder View Post
It's all about points per second. Your score is determined by what is called the hit factor (points divided by time it takes you to get them). If the stage is worth 100 points (max target points available if you shoot all A hits) and you get all 100 points and take 10 seconds to do so, thats a 10 hit factor (100 points / 10 seconds) or in other words you got 10 points per second. Someone else gets 90 points (didn't shoot all A hits on all targets) and takes 8 seconds, his hit factor is 11.25 and he beats you because he got 11.25 points per second.

It's all about the balance of speed versus accuracy. The name of the game is going fast enough to get the most points you can get while not wasting time getting those points. Rule of thumb is you should be shooting accurate enough to garner 90-94 % of the available points at the speed you are going at. Any slower and you are typically wasting time, any faster and you are typically wasting points
Thanks. That helps clarify things.

Sent from the depths of the S3 Galaxy via Tapatalk 2
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 11-26-2012, 2:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Shooters commonly call USPSA IPSC, but they are 2 different organizations with different rules. In the US, we shoot USPSA, the rest of the world shoots IPSC.
Isn't USPSA the US branch of IPSC? Here's a quote straight from the USPSA website.

Quote:
n 1976 an international group of enthusiasts interested in what had become known as "practical" shooting met in Columbia, Missouri. From that meeting came the International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC). In 1984 USPSA was incorporated as the US Region of IPSC. Membership in USPSA automatically includes membership in IPSC.
Sent from the depths of the S3 Galaxy via Tapatalk 2
Old 11-26-2012, 2:43 PM

For the Learned Rifleman
Old 11-26-2012, 4:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilit View Post
Isn't USPSA the US branch of IPSC? Here's a quote straight from the USPSA website.
Yes, IPSC was first, then USPSA, but they have different rules.
Old 11-26-2012, 5:29 PM
Veteran Member

Cool, thanks for posting.