Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-26-2012, 5:12 AM

Default Were M16a1s Receivers issued in black?

Were M16a1s issued in Black? I thought the receivers were usually grey.

I was offered a M16a1 Colt parts kit, the only markings i could find were "C MP" on the barrel. But the color threw me off.

Could it be a reproduction?
Old 10-26-2012, 7:52 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Original military finish is a black, rough to the touch, phosphate finish. With handling, it quickly smooths out to a dark or lighter grey.

If your receiver was not handled or used much, the black could still be "like new".

The "C MP" is "Colt" "Magnetic Particle". Colt made it (or had it directly contracted), and magnetic particle checked for flaws in the material.
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself...A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague."......Cicero
Old 10-26-2012, 9:08 AM

Colt M16A1 upper receivers were gray. If refinished by the military, they were sprayed black. The upper should have a forge code that includes a "C" for colt, unless it is a 603 upper receiver. You have to look at the pivot pin lug for a counterbore. Pictures would help. Sure the barrel is only marked C MP? And, where is the C MP located, top or bottom of barrel?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
Original military finish is a black, rough to the touch, phosphate finish. With handling, it quickly smooths out to a dark or lighter grey.

If your receiver was not handled or used much, the black could still be "like new".

The "C MP" is "Colt" "Magnetic Particle". Colt made it (or had it directly contracted), and magnetic particle checked for flaws in the material.
I called him today and got a little more info. It is black finish, apparently a few years back he bought the complete Kit minus receiver from a place back east that got a bunch from a LE agency, who got them from Dept of Defense, they were all rebuilt post Vietnam with new barrels.

So that throws out the hardly used option. Maybe the law enforcement agency refinished it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isplice View Post
Colt M16A1 upper receivers were gray. If refinished by the military, they were sprayed black. The upper should have a forge code that includes a "C" for colt, unless it is a 603 upper receiver. You have to look at the pivot pin lug for a counterbore. Pictures would help. Sure the barrel is only marked C MP? And, where is the C MP located, top or bottom of barrel?
It is gonna be a little while before I can get back over there and he is an old timer, so him emailing pics is a no go.

After talking with him today he said the barrel is stamped C MP B on top of the barrel. I guess I missed the B last time. But he definately said there isnt any kind of forge mark that he can see.

He is asking $400 for the Kit. It is basically a complete upper with a stock set and buffer. Minus lower parts. worth it?

Last edited by Revolver Ocelot; 10-26-2012 at 11:58 AM..
Old 10-26-2012, 7:45 PM
Veteran Member

It could be an early Colt 603 upper since there would be no forge marks.
Old 10-26-2012, 8:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver Ocelot View Post
He is asking $400 for the Kit. It is basically a complete upper with a stock set and buffer. Minus lower parts. worth it?
I'll buy it if you don't
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.
Old 10-26-2012, 8:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Lucky you. I did an A1 clone a few years back with a painted upper like yours....had some kind of evil black paint from hell on it. I tried every thinner/solvent I could get(even some heavy duty industrial stuff from the painters at work). nothing touched it.

I found out duracoat is really easy and they make a nice colt grey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSACANNONEER View Post
I've been know to cross dress and go the other way at certain events.