Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-18-2012, 8:09 PM
Default How to Prepare for Interview.

Hi there fellow calgunners. In a few more days I will be interviewing for the LA county sheriffs dept. What should I expect them to ask me and what is the best way to prepare. Any tips or anyone who has been through the experience who can chime in, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-18-2012, 8:28 PM

Haven't interviewed with LA but good luck. The departments I have interviewed with usually ask a couple situational "what would you do" questions, why do you want to be a sheriff, and why (insert city or county). Also, what have you done to prepare for a job in law enforcement.
Old 10-18-2012, 8:30 PM

If there is a hiring flyer, that sets out the qualifications for the job, study it. Make sure to cover all the qualities you posses that they are looking for.
May I always be the type of person my dog thinks I am
Old 10-19-2012, 8:27 AM

LASD is the easiest oral you will ever do. 1 on 1. No panel like most agencies. Pretty pathetic IMO.
Old 10-19-2012, 8:38 AM

Not LEO. Hopefully soon ! but have done many orals. Most Departments ask about yourself, strengths and weaknesses, scenerio/ethical questions. Best advice I can give, is to be confident and do your research on the county and agency. Remember everybody will most likely say the same facts and info. STAND OUT Good luck !
Old 10-19-2012, 8:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Do a little research on the department. Info can be obtained at How many patrol stations? Contract cities? Custody facilities? Who the Sheriff is? Things like that.

Good luck.

LASD Retired.
LASD Retired

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 10-19-2012, 9:52 AM

It's probably a little late and hopefully you passed your interview, but if you are still in need of advice here is my pennies:

I am in public safety and I think most of the interviews are probably fairly similar. As stated above, learn as much as you can about the department like staffing, areas covered, populations, specific hazards in the jurisdiction, and the departments mission statement. Don't forget to talk about how you enjoy working in diverse environments and how far you are willing to go to serve your coworkers and customer base. Do some ride-alongs if possible and bring treats for the officers when you do. You can talk about how exited you are for the chance to be a LA Deputy, even more so after your ride-alongs!

Most importantly, get some one on one coaching. I paid $400 for coaching and it was the best cash I ever spent.

-Also, don't rattle off the mission statement in the interview unless you are 100% sure you'll nail it. If you doubt it at the time or you are not feeling they would be impressed by it, skip it. It worked for me though when they asked "What do you know about our Department".

Good luck!

So it turns out the speed of light is not constant. That means we really know nothing about our beginning; scientifically of course...

Last edited by sfpcservice; 10-19-2012 at 9:55 AM..