Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Sheriff won't allow CCW renew but --

Santa Barbara County has had two big busts this week. First grow was estimated at 178 million and encompassed 3 miles. This story of a rancher hunting on his own land, glad he had a gun, coming across another bunch of with a load. The Sheriffs Information officer reminds us how dangerous it is but this is the same Sheriff that will not renew CCW's, talking out of both sides of his political mouth. My family continues to hike the canyons with big dogs and a firearm in the pack, open carry upsets the granola crowd, so covert is the only way to go.

Police say rancher foiled pot operation - Suspects flee, drop about 100 pounds of marijuana
SCOTT STEEPLETON, NEWS-PRESS ASSOCIATE EDITOR

Confiscated marijuana is shown in these bags.
SANTA BARBARA SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT PHOTOS

Bags of confiscated marijuana await processing.

July 12, 2007 6:43 AM

A Santa Ynez Valley rancher on the hunt for coyotes foiled a marijuana-growing operation after stumbling upon about eight men loaded down with military-style bags filled with pot as the group was crossing his property, officials said.

The Tuesday evening incident on Happy Camp Road comes days after the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department made a record pot bust near the San Luis Obispo County line.

Authorities say such episodes serve as a reminder that the backcountry is a popular place for people looking to grow the illegal drug.

Sgt. Erik Raney said the rancher had a rifle with him when he came upon about eight Latino males, who appeared to range in age from 18 to 35.

"The suspects were wearing camouflage clothing and carrying military style duffel bags."

The rancher, whose name was not released, first saw the men as they were walking out of the brush toward a nearby road. "He assumed they were poachers, and ordered them to stop. The rancher checked one of the bags and observed that it was full of marijuana," Sgt. Raney said.

He tried to detain the men, but they ran off.

Some of the duffel bags were left behind.

The rancher called authorities, and the Sheriff's Department responded with dogs and off-road vehicles.

The suspects got away, but deputies found three duffel bags containing about 100 pounds.

Authorities withheld the specific location of the ranch because of the ongoing investigation.

Sgt. Raney said that ranchers, residents and visitors to the backcountry need to be aware that people "involved in the cultivation, harvest and production of marijuana and other illegal narcotics can be extremely dangerous."

Growers are often armed and marijuana fields are often booby-trapped, he said.

He urged anyone who comes across a suspected marijuana patch or confronts people involved in marijuana cultivation to leave the area immediately.

"Note your location and contact your local law enforcement agency or the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department at 681-4100."

First Bust

http://newtimesslo.com/index.php?p=showarticle&id=2601

Last edited by ivanimal; 07-14-2007 at 9:20 PM..
Old 07-14-2007, 11:39 AM
In Memoriam

I know the feeling I was hunting deer near cache creek a couple of years ago when I spotted through my scope a marijauna patch. I had no phone service there so I left the area and reported it and found out that I wasn't the only to spot it.

Whenever I go into the back woods I carry.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:45 AM

Good ol' Bill Brown...

BEAR in mind, he was endorsed by the NRA when he ran for Sheriff.
The NRA appears to ignore his elitist stance.
Because he is a NRA member?
"Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did" (in Omaha, Neb).
- John Lott -
Old 07-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Some of the duffel bags were left behind.
Um, no sir officer. Nothing left behind...
Old 07-14-2007, 4:31 PM

I'm trying to understand how they got a hundred pounds of pot OUTSIDE at this time of year.

Harvest isn't for a couple more months.

Something about this story is odd.
Old 07-14-2007, 7:31 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
I'm trying to understand how they got a hundred pounds of pot OUTSIDE at this time of year.

Note the likely country of origin for the growers, now visualize what the associated drug looks like that normally come from growers of that sort. There's your answer. If the report would have been of Redneck hippies, I would have instantly associated Humbolt.Then we would be reading this story in a few months.
Old 07-14-2007, 7:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
Good ol' Bill Brown...

BEAR in mind, he was endorsed by the NRA when he ran for Sheriff.
The NRA appears to ignore his elitist stance.
Because he is a NRA member?
Santa Barbara County
General notes

Date updated: Nov 16, 2006 @ 409 pm EST

CA DOJ records indicate there are 179 permits in this county as of 2005. County population as of 7/1/2000 = 400,929
Application process

Date updated: Mar 1, 2006 @ 354 pm EST

The Sheriff of Santa Barbara County, who has jurisdiction of the unincorporated areas of the county that have no local police department, will issue permits for "good cause" after a somewhat arduous application process. There are several steps involved in the application process, and you can be denied without being informed why at any step along the way. You can get the CCW application by calling the Sheriff's Department. You need to submit at least 3 letters of character reference with application - it is helpful to include 5 if you can get them. Your statement of need should specify why you fear your life is endangered to the point of needing to carry a gun (a generic statement saying you need it for self protection is not sufficient). If you pass this first phase, you are referred to the Sheriff's psychologist for a psych evaluation. If you pass the psych evaluation, the Sheriff will notify you that you are now eligible to take the Sheriff's approved classroom and range instruction course. If you pass that, you may make an appointment with one of the Sheriff's approved instructors (currently Bill Tanner and Jim Spoerer) to qualify with (up to 3) specific weapons with a minimum of 75% accuracy score. Range qualification is at various distances up to about 21 feet, shooting with both hands, dominant hand, and non-dominant hand. If you pass range qualification, you are issued a certificate specifying the weapons by serial number, make, model, caliber, etc. to take to the Sheriff's Department. At this point you go through the fingerprint/DOJ background check. Once you are cleared by DOJ, the Sheriff issues your permit. Total costs involved are right around $500.

Renewal process (every two years) consists of $42 to the CA DOJ, $2 to the Sheriff's Department, $85 for 4-hour refresher classroom training, and $100 to (re)qualify with up to 3 firearms.
Documents required

Date updated: Jul 30, 2005 @ 1221 am EDT

County of Santa Barbara (unincorporated areas of the county under the jurisdiction of the SB Sheriff's Dept.) - Application obtained from SB Sheriff Dept (includes "statement of need for CCW"), min. 3 letters of Character Reference, results of psych. evaluation with Sheriff's psychologist, DOJ fingerprint/background check, evidence of "approved" classroom and range instruction, certificate of range qualification with specific weapon(s). There are non-refundable fees at every step of the way!

And the Sheriff will still deny you a CCW. Unless you have connection$$$
Old 07-14-2007, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankerman View Post
Note the likely country of origin for the growers, now visualize what the associated drug looks like that normally come from growers of that sort. There's your answer. If the report would have been of Redneck hippies, I would have instantly associated Humbolt.Then we would be reading this story in a few months.
Humboldt's DA won't prosecute marijuana cases. I'm surprised if the Sheriff's dept. even pursues marijuana grow cases anymore.
Old 07-15-2007, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
Santa Barbara County
General notes

Date updated: Nov 16, 2006 @ 409 pm EST

CA DOJ records indicate there are 179 permits in this county as of 2005. County population as of 7/1/2000 = 400,929
Application process

Date updated: Mar 1, 2006 @ 354 pm EST

The Sheriff of Santa Barbara County, who has jurisdiction of the unincorporated areas of the county that have no local police department, will issue permits for "good cause" after a somewhat arduous application process. There are several steps involved in the application process, and you can be denied without being informed why at any step along the way. You can get the CCW application by calling the Sheriff's Department. You need to submit at least 3 letters of character reference with application - it is helpful to include 5 if you can get them. Your statement of need should specify why you fear your life is endangered to the point of needing to carry a gun (a generic statement saying you need it for self protection is not sufficient). If you pass this first phase, you are referred to the Sheriff's psychologist for a psych evaluation. If you pass the psych evaluation, the Sheriff will notify you that you are now eligible to take the Sheriff's approved classroom and range instruction course. If you pass that, you may make an appointment with one of the Sheriff's approved instructors (currently Bill Tanner and Jim Spoerer) to qualify with (up to 3) specific weapons with a minimum of 75% accuracy score. Range qualification is at various distances up to about 21 feet, shooting with both hands, dominant hand, and non-dominant hand. If you pass range qualification, you are issued a certificate specifying the weapons by serial number, make, model, caliber, etc. to take to the Sheriff's Department. At this point you go through the fingerprint/DOJ background check. Once you are cleared by DOJ, the Sheriff issues your permit. Total costs involved are right around $500.

Renewal process (every two years) consists of $42 to the CA DOJ, $2 to the Sheriff's Department, $85 for 4-hour refresher classroom training, and $100 to (re)qualify with up to 3 firearms.
Documents required

Date updated: Jul 30, 2005 @ 1221 am EDT

County of Santa Barbara (unincorporated areas of the county under the jurisdiction of the SB Sheriff's Dept.) - Application obtained from SB Sheriff Dept (includes "statement of need for CCW"), min. 3 letters of Character Reference, results of psych. evaluation with Sheriff's psychologist, DOJ fingerprint/background check, evidence of "approved" classroom and range instruction, certificate of range qualification with specific weapon(s). There are non-refundable fees at every step of the way!

And the Sheriff will still deny you a CCW. Unless you have connection$$$
Based on these figures, it's much simpler and cheaper to carry w/o his ***damned CCW.

NRA member my fat backside. ANyone know a vegetarian butcher? pick a side, dirtbag.
When I say people though, I am referring to fellow Americans who have jobs and trucks and guns and consider taking a day or two off work to drive to the boonies and let the lead out. The other 6.something billion of humanity is totally suspect, though.
Old 07-15-2007, 4:12 PM

Quote:

How do you know these?
Old 07-15-2007, 4:22 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe he's been an LEO? I believe he's the same guy who started a gun store a while back, so it'd be pretty likely for him to have been either prior LE, or heard enough from cops in the shop over the years.
Old 07-15-2007, 5:02 PM

Quote:

When cops weigh pot the whole plant is included in the weight to make the bust seem bigger. I mean the whole plant stem branchs and leaves that way it sounds worse in court.
Mayor Adrian M. Fenty (D) announced. The risk here is that an appeal could lead to an unfavorable Supreme Court ruling, and a legal principle that now applies only to the residents of the nation's capital would extend to the entire nation
Old 07-15-2007, 8:34 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5&G23 View Post
Just google "national forest marijuana" and you will see how big the problem is.
+1. I like going into National Forests, but always open-carry at least a handgun in them. I'd rather not stumble across a bunch of guys watching over their product and realize I didn't bring protection.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 07-16-2007, 5:30 AM
Veteran Member

Never ever go to the National Forest unarmed. Many more two legged predators than four, really.