Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > VENDORS > Exile Machine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Exile Machine Sponsored by Exile Machine

Old 10-22-2011, 6:38 AM
Manufacturer / Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default Hammerhead AK Frankenstein Mod - Quick/Dirty Instructions

Got some interest in a mod for the Hammerhead to fit an AK rifle. Here's some quick and dirty instructions on one way that works. There could be other ways.

Preparation: Make sure the rifle's unloaded. Remove the existing buttstock. Remove the existing pistol grip. Set aside the buttstock, the pistol grip, and the long pistol grip bolt. Retain the pistol grip nut. Wear a dust mask or respirator when cutting, grinding, filing, or sanding the Hammerhead. Take care not to breathe in the dust or get it in your eyes.

This is what you're trying to achieve. You've got to keep the web of the firing hand above the top of the exposed portion of the trigger. Make sure that's the case. Be sure to remove all prohibited features (CA PC 12276.1(a)(1)(A-F)).

First off, I traced the shape of the receiver onto the side of the Hammerhead to get the general idea of where to cut. Then I clamped the Hammerhead in a vise and cut it along the line with a hacksaw. Note that the cut (red line) does slope downward a bit going from left to right, to fit to the AK receiver which has a bit of a downward angle as well. Little bit of filing to smooth it out helps with the fit to the receiver.

Second, I used a dremel tool with a small grinding drum to roughly mill out the insides of the pistol grip mounting tabs (area shown in red), so that they'd slip over the wider AK trigger guard. Lots of trial and error here, grind a little, check the fit, repeat. Clean up with a file. There's also a rivet that holds the rear of the trigger guard in place on the underside of the receiver, and I had to mill out some material to get it to slip over that. You also need to mill out a pocket (rectangular X area in red) for the AK's pistol grip nut, which protrudes downward. For this mod you will not have the nut extend backward at an angle as usual, but rather have it point more or less straight down. Again I used trial and error to get the depth right.

Third, I milled out from underneath the Hammerhead to give clearance for the new pistol grip bolt. The bolt I used was a 6mm bolt a little less than an inch in length, procured from the local ACE hardware store. Drill a hole (shown in yellow in this cross-sectional shot) to allow the bolt to pass through the Hammerhead and into the AK's pistol grip nut.

Once you have everything milled out, just bolt it on. Pick your favorite AR-15 stock (entry stocks preserve the LOP), and screw it into the back of the Hammerhead. Something like this perhaps?

You may wish to replace the rear trunion or grind off the stock tang. For heavy duty use I could see drilling a hole through the bottom of the receiver as far rearward as possible and sinking a sheet metal screw into the Hammerhead to give another point of attachment. Cheek piece could help with the cheek weld.

Experiment and have fun. Post up photos of your work for extra credit.

-Mark
Exile Machine LLC
Old 03-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Frankenstein Bump
Old 03-16-2012, 4:33 AM
CGN Contributor

plan on selling modded ones in the future?
Old 04-22-2012, 5:04 AM
Manufacturer / Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krill View Post
plan on selling modded ones in the future?
Not enough demand for an AK specific Hammerhead grip but we do have the prototype available for sale.
Old 06-23-2012, 7:10 AM

I just use an AR pistol grip adapter to mount the HammerHead grip to my Saiga 223 and I'm happy w/ the results.