Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:46 PM

Default Izhmash Saiga 7.62x39 - Yay or Nay?

Just received Turners weekly deals and they have the saiga 7.62x39 on sale for $470. Is it a good deal?

I don't want to convert it because I don't want to deal with the BB, so it will stay as is. Do they take AK mags or do I have to get saiga only mags? Anything else I should know about them?

Thanks for all inputs,

Eddie

Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Calguns Addict

You can find that model for $399 - $419 at places like Parallax and Rifle Gear... it was $399 when I was shopping for one...

http://www.riflegear.com/p-803-saiga-rifle-762x39.aspx

Its out of stock, but I got one with a AK forend for $499
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1425-saig...ak-forend.aspx

I also kept mine featureless, it uses Saiga mags unless you start converting or modifying things…
Old 10-18-2012, 1:12 PM
Veteran Member

What the hell, since when did these shoot up in price?

I bought a half converted (front end) for like 300.
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 10-18-2012, 1:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yeah, the prices did go up for both Saigas and Zastava PAPs. With that said, Turner's price is still pretty high. As ExtremeX pointed out, you can find lower non-sale prices. And the customer service at Riflegear is way way better.

You can also try the FS forum here, but I don't see that many Saigas there, especially the unconverted ones. If you're lucky, you can get a very good deal there though (how about a converted (sans $20 bullet guide, stock and FCG (to be replaced anyway)) 7.62x39 Saiga for $400, for example).
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.

Last edited by nick; 10-18-2012 at 1:18 PM..
Old 10-18-2012, 1:48 PM

Thanks for your responses guys.

Nick - Sorry, what does FCG stand for, and why does it need to be replaced anyway?

Old 10-18-2012, 2:10 PM

^FCG stands for Fire Control Group. Basically your trigger and it's components. When converting a Saiga this is a common thing to replace as it counts for parts when dealing with 922r. Most people use Tapco G2 FCG which is actually quite nice for the money.
Old 10-18-2012, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeypunch0420 View Post
^FCG stands for Fire Control Group. Basically your trigger and it's components. When converting a Saiga this is a common thing to replace as it counts for parts when dealing with 922r. Most people use Tapco G2 FCG which is actually quite nice for the money.
Got it, Thanks.

Old 10-18-2012, 2:26 PM
Vendor/Retailer

You can get the rifle cheaper from a variety of other vendors.

If you use AK mags, you will need to install a bullet guide which will trigger 922r.

Deal of the Week - Updated Every Monday

http://www.alliedbrassprocessing.com/
Professional Brass Processing Service of your 223/5.56, 300 AAC Blackout and 9MM brass at an affordable price
PM me about local dropoff and pickups
Old 10-18-2012, 2:40 PM
Veteran Member

I have run Ak mags without a guide, NO problems.
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 10-18-2012, 4:01 PM

With AK mags and not running a bullet guide, the last bullet won't chamber properly (from my experience at least). This was on multiple mags.
Old 10-18-2012, 9:04 PM

It is a great rifle for the money. I picked up one for 411 plus fees at rifle gear when they had them in stock. It is my first and only firearm (so far). I have put around 420 rounds threw it with zero ftf and zero fte. I had to sight it in when u got it but other than that I have has no issues. It is a great rifle for the money and the featureless configuration is a bonus. I grew up shooting a mini 14 so I don't find it an hassle. If you do get one get some after market magazines like sgm that hold the bolt open after the last shot so you don't dry fire after every factory magazine. I think my next ak style rifle will be a vepr based on my experince with my saiga.
Old 10-19-2012, 3:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Very nice rifle, the price is a bit on a high side but nothing bad.
If they were $300 or less, I would get a few more without hesitation.
Old 10-19-2012, 8:10 AM
Veteran Member

I don't think they will ever be $300 again. Face facts, gun prices have been on the move up regardless of politics. Buy one now at $400 and in 2 years everyone will be saying "I wish I bought more when they were only $400." Also remember the rifle is 90% an AK47 built where the originals were and are made. It's a great rifle. Buy one or two now.
Old 10-19-2012, 8:40 AM

Turners had them on sale for 430, a few weeks ago
Old 10-19-2012, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotshotgun? View Post
I don't think they will ever be $300 again. Face facts, gun prices have been on the move up regardless of politics. Buy one now at $400 and in 2 years everyone will be saying "I wish I bought more when they were only $400." Also remember the rifle is 90% an AK47 built where the originals were and are made. It's a great rifle. Buy one or two now.
Sad truth...
Old 10-19-2012, 8:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chameleon Loco View Post
It is a great rifle for the money. I picked up one for 411 plus fees at rifle gear when they had them in stock. It is my first and only firearm (so far). I have put around 420 rounds threw it with zero ftf and zero fte. I had to sight it in when u got it but other than that I have has no issues. It is a great rifle for the money and the featureless configuration is a bonus. I grew up shooting a mini 14 so I don't find it an hassle. If you do get one get some after market magazines like sgm that hold the bolt open after the last shot so you don't dry fire after every factory magazine. I think my next ak style rifle will be a vepr based on my experince with my saiga.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post
Very nice rifle, the price is a bit on a high side but nothing bad.
If they were $300 or less, I would get a few more without hesitation.
Quote:
Thanks guys! Still looking at other options, but this is still on top of the list.

One more question, Is the one that comes with the AK forend better?

Old 10-19-2012, 9:08 AM
Veteran Member

I remember when J&G ? had them for 299 all day long ...
Old 10-19-2012, 9:10 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie5 View Post
Thanks guys! Still looking at other options, but this is still on top of the list.

One more question, Is the one that comes with the AK forend better?
Yes,

the sight block is threaded and its ready to swap out for any ak furniture you like. the stock saiga forend is atrocious
Old 10-19-2012, 9:20 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21SF View Post
Yes,

the sight block is threaded and its ready to swap out for any ak furniture you like. the stock saiga forend is atrocious
Not quite, it can be made to be more practical/customizable.

Old 10-19-2012, 9:22 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
IMHO I think its ugly. Your looks a little better/tactical still prefer the standard ak forend.
Old 10-19-2012, 9:49 AM

when the President says that cheap handguns are the problem... I would like to know where he is looking.
Old 10-19-2012, 9:51 AM

bud's gun shop 400 shipped is the lowest I've seen online for the 7.62
Old 10-19-2012, 9:54 AM
Veteran Member

I also would recommend buying the model that has the AK front end already converted. This way once you do the rear end conversion you have a 98% real AK.
Old 10-19-2012, 9:56 AM
Veteran Member

Wow and its only $30 more for the Saiga with the front end done than a standard Saiga from Atlantic Firearms ($459 vs $429). That's nuts, it would cost over $100 to do the conversion on your own.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Yes,

the sight block is threaded and its ready to swap out for any ak furniture you like.
Quote:
I also would recommend buying the model that has the AK front end already converted. This way once you do the rear end conversion you have a 98% real AK.
Thanks again!

Quote:
Wow and its only $30 more for the Saiga with the front end done than a standard Saiga from Atlantic Firearms ($459 vs $429). That's nuts, it would cost over $100 to do the conversion on your own.
Yeah, I would go for the AK forend if I decide to get it.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Since this is your thread I'll answer your question here. I got the WASR 10/63 for $575 out the door. They had it on sale for $499.

This time the one you're asking about is on sale. Guy a couple numbers in front of me bought one of those.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:20 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
What the hell, since when did these shoot up in price?

I bought a half converted (front end) for like 300.
There is an upcoming assault weapons ban, haven't you heard of it?
Old 10-19-2012, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourLoko View Post
Since this is your thread I'll answer your question here. I got the WASR 10/63 for $575 out the door. They had it on sale for $499.

This time the one you're asking about is on sale. Guy a couple numbers in front of me bought one of those.
Thanks for the reply and hope you enjoy it!

Old 10-19-2012, 1:37 PM

Check around the local stores for prices.

I haven't checked on Saiga prices lately, but stores that carried them before were Riflegear (as mentioned), Ammo Brothers, and the OC indoor range. There are quite a few more - it makes sense to check around.

Anything that you order from out -of-state will go up quite a bit due to dealer fees, e.g. Insight charged $85 which included DROS and their own fee.
Added to that came the tax and shipping. My $300 Saiga was in the range of $425 when I walked out of the door.

And yes.... that was a couple of years ago.
Old 10-19-2012, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Solutions View Post
Check around the local stores for prices.

I haven't checked on Saiga prices lately, but stores that carried them before were Riflegear (as mentioned), Ammo Brothers, and the OC indoor range. There are quite a few more - it makes sense to check around.

Anything that you order from out -of-state will go up quite a bit due to dealer fees, e.g. Insight charged $85 which included DROS and their own fee.
Added to that came the tax and shipping. My $300 Saiga was in the range of $425 when I walked out of the door.

And yes.... that was a couple of years ago.
Yeah, been checking around. Addax has one with the AK forend on for $499.

Old 10-19-2012, 7:23 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Unconverted Saiga + Legally owned Surefire 30 round magazines = Perfect HD rifle with no politics or legal issues.
Old 10-19-2012, 7:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Default 922r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Unconverted Saiga + Legally owned Surefire 30 round magazines = Perfect HD rifle with no politics or legal issues.
If you use magazines over 10 rounds, then you are subject to 922r
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
If you use magazines over 10 rounds, then you are subject to 922r
I'd love to hear any further comment regarding this issue. I pulled this from Tapco's website concerning 922r compliance:

Another concern out there is the 3 compliance parts in a U.S. made magazine and if “my rifle is not compliant when I take my mag out”. Once again, think about the nature of the law. It is not the number of U.S. made parts you have; it is the number of foreign parts you have. If you have a U.S. made magazine in your weapon and your weapon is compliant with it in, by removing your magazine you are not ADDING more foreign made parts, so you continue to be compliant. Unless you put a foreign made magazine in, thus adding foreign made parts, you are not making your weapon noncompliant. The same thing applies when you are looking at a part that your weapon may not be equipped with. For instance, an SKS without a pistol grip or threaded barrel, the lack of a muzzle attachment or pistol grip, in essence, yields that part not foreign. Just ensure that if you add either item that you recount your parts again or simply make sure the item you are adding is a U.S. made part.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:21 PM

River City Gun Exchange is where i got mine for 420 i think? Also, I use larger mags with no bullet guide and the last round fails to feed about half of the time. Not really a big deal to me.

Politics and Firearms Blog: Brazen
Gun T-shirts: Brazen Tees
Old 10-20-2012, 12:46 AM

I have owned my Izhmash Saiga 7.62x39 for a whole 4 days. Lol. I have put around 500+ rounds through it at 2 different ranges & love it. It is all stock, no evil features, no BB. Extremely accurate at 25-50 yards. 1-2 inch groupings using iron sights. At 100 yards I was able to hit center mass consistently. I recommend this weapon. You cant go wrong with the price.
Old 10-20-2012, 2:01 AM

Default Yay or Nay

I say Nay.

I say Nay because it looks to much like a hunting rifle with a mag. Why do any conversions on these? Spend the money on an AK that you won't need to do any conversions on.
Old 10-20-2012, 2:17 AM
Veteran Member

if u have the funds, get the Atlantic Firearmns WA AK74 as they have the Izzy receiver and Russian mods...
Old 10-20-2012, 3:37 AM

Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.

Yay on the rifle. Nay for that price ($470), you can find better prices elsewhere.
Old 11-07-2012, 9:32 PM

Default Frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erlife View Post
I have owned my Izhmash Saiga 7.62x39 for a whole 4 days. Lol. I have put around 500+ rounds through it at 2 different ranges & love it. It is all stock, no evil features, no BB. Extremely accurate at 25-50 yards. 1-2 inch groupings using iron sights. At 100 yards I was able to hit center mass consistently. I recommend this weapon. You cant go wrong with the price.
Hi 49. I have owned my Izhmash Saiga 7.62x39 for a whole 21 days. I have 500 rounds through it, too. It shot ok out of the box, but not great. I've been tac-training with it by "Kentucky reckoning" to hit CBM/ HS. I can't sight it in worth a damn at even 50 yrds. I did add an Effin-A Comp, which triggered a 922r conversion, which was worth it, I thought. I'm wondering if porting the gases from the comp is throwing off the trajectory, but I'm just guessing now. As far as I can tell, I have no strikes against the comp (muzzle). I'm a good 18" right and consistently low 9"; all up and down vertical with the coarse-adjusting sight leaf. I do know how to bracket shot-placement/ zero a gun, et al. It's ridiculous. I can't get the front sight to go any further right to compensate and it just doesn't seem correct to have to off-set it that much, even if it is Russian, etc. However, front-sight elevation is tune-able. I'm very frustrated at this point. Also, I today shot a friend's model (same) and I had him dead center in three rounds at 50 yrds. His front sight was at or near center axis. I planned to shoot mine iron-sighted under 200yrds. What the hell do you suppose it is? Anyone?

Last edited by hydronaut3; 11-07-2012 at 10:08 PM..
Old 11-07-2012, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveSeven View Post

I've been looking to do that to my Saiga 223 for the past year. Just never got around to it. I even got the same Magpul rail pieces sitting around in my tool box. I actually like the Saiga handguard. Too many AK "purist" in this forum. I'd like to see what they have to say about putting wood on an AR.