Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 10-15-2012, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

Question New gun law for 2014

Some explain to me (in plain English) how the gun law that takes effect on January 1 2014 going to affect purchasing c & r's?

So is will my c & r license be useless?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 10-15-2012, 9:08 PM

You'll have to DROS every C&R weapon. Exception is if you get a Cert of Eligibility. In that case you'll have to send registration in, along with your $19, to the state just like you do now when you bring a C&R handgun into the state. I believe (although not totally positive) that if you have a C of E you'll still be able to get C&R long guns shipped to your house. If you purchase a C&R from a dealer and have the C of E you can leave that day, no waiting period. All this law did was make us pay more money to the state.....
Old 10-15-2012, 9:23 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

For California C&R FFLs...
You will need to get a COE now if you want C&R long guns delivered to your door.

You will need a COE if you want to acquire C&R long guns from other Californians without going through a dealer.

You will have to register each C&R long gun that you acquire after December 31, 2013 by sending in a form to CalDOJ along with a fee.

You still don't need a COE if you want to acquire C&R firearms while you are outside of California. But you will have to register any C&R long guns you acquire while out of state the same way you do with C&R handguns now.

You will no longer be restricted to 50+ year old C&R long guns being shipped to you or being acquiring inside California from non-dealers. You will be able to acquire C&R long guns of any age without going through a dealer.
For non-C&R FFLs...
You will no longer be able to acquire 50+ year old C&R long guns without going through a California licensed dealer.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Basically, the way it is now, in order to avoid California's requirement of going through a California licensed dealer, a transaction that takes place in California has to meet three requirements...
1. The firearm must be a long gun.
2. The firearm must be considered C&R by the Feds.
3. The firearm must be at least 50 years old.
The way it will be after December 31, 2013 is the "50 years old" requirement will be replaced by the "buyer must be a C&R FFL with a COE" requirement and then they added the registration requirement...
1. The firearm must be a long gun.
2. The firearm must be considered C&R by the Feds.
3. The buyer must have a C&R FFL and a COE.
4. The buyer must send in a form and payment to register the long gun.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 10-15-2012, 9:26 PM

From what I have read/understand in the 2A forum one will have to DROS CR LG's and pistols just like regular. Supposedly it will be a single dros not LG or pistol. Not sure if FFL's can stick all CR on one dros.

-C&R will be useless INSTATE w/o a COE.
-No more Cash and Carry unless you have a CnR/COE
-CnR still good out of state.

I still don't understand how/why out of state vendors would want our COE? It's a Cali thing and would probably care less because a 03FFL is the only legal thing they need
Old 10-15-2012, 9:32 PM

Oni,

Thanks for providing additional info, I knew I was short and was reading up when you posted.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 PM

Mssr elegante to the rescue!
Old 10-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mssr. Eleganté View Post
For California C&R FFLs...

You will need to get a COE now if you want C&R long guns delivered to your door.
Assuming out of state distributors are willing to deal with the extra hassle. Some probably will, some probably won't.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Blue Blaze Irregular
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
Assuming out of state distributors are willing to deal with the extra hassle. Some probably will, some probably won't.
Yeah, some of the "boutique" dealers like Empire Arms will probably get onboard pretty quick. J&G Sales is also good at keeping up to speed with California hoops. But I know some dealers will just give up.

"Knowledge is power... For REAL!" - Jack Austin
Old 10-16-2012, 1:11 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
That's just it. Again in reality, there's not going to be any extra hassle for out-of-state sellers shipping C&R long guns here. It will be business as usual. From what I gather, you wouldn't have to send your COE + 03FFL. It will be business like usual for sellers. Of course lots won't know that. If ATF audits you and checks your bound-book and see's you've been buying without a COE, then the only hassle is here.

But this all very well may bog the waters even more with out-of-state online auction sellers refusing to do business here with C&R long guns. How long did it take for ammo sellers to recognize the IL FOID card?

Gun-Control: "A theory like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
Old 10-16-2012, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOEX FFF View Post
If ATF audits you and checks your bound-book and see's you've been buying without a COE, then the only hassle is here.
Would ATF even care about the COE?

I actually don't even understand how the ban on handgun shipping to c&r licenses is even enforced (or why it's even in place in the first place). Does the ATF share transaction data with the CADOJ?

It's all so confusing, infuriating, and sad.
Old 10-16-2012, 8:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniKoroshi View Post
From what I have read/understand in the 2A forum one will have to DROS CR LG's and pistols just like regular. Supposedly it will be a single dros not LG or pistol. Not sure if FFL's can stick all CR on one dros.

-C&R will be useless INSTATE w/o a COE.
-No more Cash and Carry unless you have a CnR/COE
-CnR still good out of state.

I still don't understand how/why out of state vendors would want our COE? It's a Cali thing and would probably care less because a 03FFL is the only legal thing they need
Because California says so and the out of state dealer has to comply with California law when shipping to California.
Old 10-16-2012, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-B-Man View Post
Would ATF even care about the COE?

I actually don't even understand how the ban on handgun shipping to c&r licenses is even enforced (or why it's even in place in the first place). Does the ATF share transaction data with the CADOJ?

It's all so confusing, infuriating, and sad.
Same answer as in my post above. One of the conditions of your FFL is that you must comply with all State and local laws. What a lot of people don't realize is that the California Dangerous Weapons Control Laws are incorporated by reference into Part 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations (27CFR).

Last edited by EOD Guy; 10-16-2012 at 8:16 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 1:44 PM
Veteran Member

Ok I got that (I think) - So tough is it to get a COE?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke speech of 23 April 1770, "Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents," delivered to the House of Commons.
Old 10-16-2012, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisCA View Post
Ok I got that (I think) - So tough is it to get a COE?
The original one is kind of a pain in that you have to get fingerprinted (Livescan) and it costs $64.00 plus the Livescan fee. Renewals are easy. You just sign the renewal form and send it in with a $22.00 check.

See the link for an application.

COE Application Form
Old 10-16-2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD Guy View Post
Because California says so and the out of state dealer has to comply with California law when shipping to California.
I can see some vendors dropping Cali shipments... Shouldn't be a problem except the COE is a yearly renewal and one would have to pay attention when renewal date occurs... :-/
Old 10-16-2012, 6:40 PM

So the COE is just a way for California to impose another tax on firearm purchasers?
Old 10-16-2012, 6:43 PM

So, I had to get a live scan a few years ago for my Vehicle Seller's License and now I need to get another?
Old 10-16-2012, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant View Post
So the COE is just a way for California to impose another tax on firearm purchasers?

Yeah, just another bureacratic azz-raping that serves no purpose except to take another crap on law abiding firearms collectors and allow those Marxist bandits in Sacramento to steal a little more money.
Old 10-17-2012, 7:22 PM
Banned

Luckily the CMP will most likely be out of all but their Service Grade Specials by then.

Although I'd be surprised if the CMP's Federal charter wouldn't put a peg in the Soviet Province of LeftCoastastan's *ss over this.

Orest has God's ear...
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Figures, I just sent in my C&R renewal and now it looks like it is only good for 1 more year unless I get a COE. Guess I will just use it for discounts. As a side note it should not affect CMP purchases as I have a C&R and have never had to use it to buy from the CMP.
Old 10-19-2012, 3:39 AM
NRA Life Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I don't think so. I think it is just more flawed logic that the harder you make something to obtain, the more citizens will just withdraw and not deal with it.

It has to impact gun purchases. So in essence, California is reaping their sick sense of an award.

I guess it's back to the way of our ancestors.

Sticks and rocks time. One still has to defend his self and property.

-178S
Old 10-19-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Bingo.

You can get a permit or license for anything in this state if you have enough money to throw at it.