Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Shoots, Meets and Range Stories Set up and organize shoots and meets and share your shooting range stories.

Old 11-03-2012, 7:45 AM

Over at other online gun communities there is a strong group of supporters that 22's dont need to be cleaned every time that they are shot. Being lazy I decided to give it a try. Went to the Optimist club with a Ruger MkIII just after the place opened in the morning. There were a couple of middle aged guys next to me on the line and I chatted with them a bit and then got all setup to start shooting. Started on my first mag and the pistol was stove piping every 2 rounds. Started working on my second mag and same problem. Had to field strip and clean the gun at the range during the second shooting session of the day. While doing so my father's old words of advice started ringing in my head - you can judge a person by how well he takes care of his tools/equipment. Felt the absolute idiot.
Old 11-03-2012, 8:43 AM

I own a 22. Cal conversion kit for my P226's, well the other day I was shooting .22s and decided it was time to convert back to .40. I changed the slide over put a loaded mag in and racked the slide to release the slide lock. Then it happened the slide went rocketing off the front of the gun, guide rod shot out half way to the 7 year target line and I was left standing there with the lower! I forgot the turn the take down lever to the "shooting" position!! Oh what a feeling!
Old 11-03-2012, 9:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Went to a local indoor range on a Sunday a couple years back...to take a "Class" that they required in order to shoot rifles there.

We went over basic safety and rules and then out to the range. In order to "pass" the test the last thing you had to do was to show proper saftey and observance of the rules and chamber and fire one round out of your gun...and it had to be on target at like 7 yards. Well, I'd picked up an Cohaire MP5 clone a few months before....put a red dot on it. But I hadn't shot it yet. So I sauntered up to the line..a few people obviously newer to guns are visibly impressed with my rifle..I chamber a round, instructor is standing there, watching over my shoulder...and

Bang

I look up.....clean paper.

Try again he says.....

Bang

Nope.

Well, I hadn't ever sighted in the red dot. And of course now I'm like....WTF?

So, I yanked off the reddot, lined it up and .....

Thank you. Passed.

It was pretty embarrasing. I've been around guns all my life. Grew up deer hunting. But at that moment I felt like the biggest newbie in the room. Hahaha
Old 11-03-2012, 9:36 AM

New one for me! Just gets better when you are new. Took my Glock 19 gen4 to the range yesterday to practice one hand shooting. Right handed went well then switched to the left. On the gen4, the mag release is larger. Picked up my gun in the left hand, squeezed the trigger and the magazine dropped (lucky for me) on to the bench. DOH!

I don't expect everything handed to me. Just set it down anywhere. Unknown
Old 11-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Went to firing line in HB which is very close to my house. I brought my g19.As the RO inspected my ammo, he goes "whoa, you can't shoot that here man" I look at the ammo... .223?

I have PMC in 9mm and .233.

Same box, different round.

Whoops!

-OD
Old 11-04-2012, 5:25 PM

I went to the desert with my brother for a fun filled day I.e. pistols,shotguns,22's,AR's we were having a great time,mid day was coming on strong and the temp was starting to rise (mid june)so we thought we'd start to pack up when low and behold .....I had locked my keys in the truck along with my cell phone (Ooops) well good thing my bro. had his except his carrier has the worst reception known to man out in the Mojave.So it's time to take a hike up the tallest hill around,I get to the top and am so winded that AAA wants to send Medivac instead of the road side help guy,well long story short (or long) they finally showed up a couple hours later to unlock the truck we threw our stuff in and took off......one of the best lessons I've learned and worst sun burns ever

Last edited by Diesel187; 11-04-2012 at 5:26 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 11-04-2012, 5:50 PM

The dumbest thing I have done at the range is to forget the magazine for my 10/22 and ammo for my .38(those were the only guns I brought that day, and my outdoor range only sells shotgun shells)! Needless to say I spent close to an hour single shot with my .22.

I now have a different method when going to shoot 30 miles away from home. WON'T happen again!
Old 11-04-2012, 6:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hahaha, I have a similar story..bought a nice lifted 89 Ford Bronco back in 92...first time I took it off road...I went to Azusa Canyon. It was HOT and while we walked around watching all the crazies, I decided to leave it running with the doors locked and the air on...I took the remote, started it up and then pushed the button to lock the doors. Came back about a half hour later and apparently the alarm system didn't like locking the doors with the engine running cause it popped a fuse or something. Now I couldn't get in. So after trying to get in for a while, I finally decided...F it...I'll break a window. I can replace it for $100. Went a borrowed a crow bar...walked up to the truck...gave it a swing..and BAM...it just bounced off. Tried it probably 10 times. I couldn't break the side window!

Finally I used the crow bar to pry open the windwing..which sucked, cause for next 10 years I owned the truck I'd get a whistle from that leaky windwing when ever I went over about 65...sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel187 View Post
I went to the desert with my brother for a fun filled day I.e. pistols,shotguns,22's,AR's we were having a great time,mid day was coming on strong and the temp was starting to rise (mid june)so we thought we'd start to pack up when low and behold .....I had locked my keys in the truck along with my cell phone:
Old 11-04-2012, 7:24 PM

We were shooting the spring trap league at Kingsburg gun club. My Stoger O/U has no barrel selector so I put in a snap cap and squeezed one off before each shot to keep from changing choke tubes. When we backed up for the handy cap round I went back to the bottom barrel. Let me tell you when I shot a hole in the ground 20 feet in front of myself I just wanted to crawl into it.

P.S. I don't like snap caps anymore.

The power of Gun free Zones https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=hnBWa_xJz6A

In California we're called "Wacko right-wing gun toting nut jobs with an arsenal" most other states just call us People.
Old 11-04-2012, 7:58 PM

i was shooting a 1911 for the first time in my first ever tactical pistol competition , i hear the beep in my ear, draw my big stainless long slide and instead of hitting the safety i hit the mag release. i had to stop, reload the mag and have him start me over again.

WTB: 28"+ VersaMax or 28"+ 930 barrel
WTB: Stoeger Condor Competition Combo (I'll trade 1911's or other handguns)

Free rides with Lyft

Starline Brass for Sale
Old 11-04-2012, 8:06 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

When I was about 15, we were out on a family desert shooting trip. I loaded a whole tube of .22lr rounds backwards into a Marlin rifle. I then stood there for a while yanking on the bolt and trying to figure out why it wouldn't shoot.

20+ years later, after serving in the Army and being a LEO for 12+ years, my family still loves to bring up this story whenever I start talking about guns.
Old 11-05-2012, 7:07 PM

Just purchased a trijicon ta31f and put it on my spikes 14.5.

Was at tge range n sighted in the rifle with about 20 rounds. Fired another 300 and bench it. Right after I bench it and got 8 ft away I turn around to see it about to fall 900$ scope first on the cement. I do a run/ dive to catch it and totally nock the whole rack over with 3 other guns on it... The other gun owners gave me the evil eye and I apologized and checked their guns for any damage

.....then left immediately after
Old 11-05-2012, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Majik View Post
Shot the recoil spring plug out of the front of my gun when I chambered my 1911 once after reassembling it in the desert. Had to call cease fire to look for my recoil spring plug.
Took a new shooter shooting and released the slide on my Beretta. Forgot to turn the recoil spring guide-rod lock on.

Slide flies off into the range and the guide-rod is nowhere to be found.

Guess my friend wasn't the only newb there.
Old 11-05-2012, 9:41 PM

When I was a kid I was out shooting clays with my dad, it was the first time I'd used a clay thrower and instead of throwing it down-range it went about 90 degrees to the left and hit my dad in the hand and broke his thumb.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:41 PM

I handed my friend a pistol once that was unloaded and slide locked back. He saw me clear the gun.. he held it in shooting position with the slide still back, pulled the trigger and flinched so bad that i literally fell off the bench laughing. I'm a terrible friend.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:15 AM

Here is the few I have.

When I was a lot younger and just getting into handguns, a buddy of mine sold me a nice CZ-52 for cheap. Again I was very young and knew next to nothing about handguns at the time. He had no idea what the CZ shot, and I couldn't figure it out either. So I took it to a guy I thought was knowledgeable and had him take a look. After he messed with it a while and tried several rounds in the mags and chamber, he decided it was a 9mm (I know some of you can see where this is going and are groaning already). So I bought a box of 9mm and took the CZ to the desert. I set up my target at about 25 yards, then start loading up the pistol. Stood up on the line and squeezed off a round.....and watched it hit the dirt 10 feet in front of me. Also the pistol failed to feed the next round.....of course. After some head scratching, and a whole lot of real research I figured out that it was a 7.62mm round that should have been used. The CZ had stripped the steel jacket off the lead bullet, and that jacket was still lodged in the chamber/barrel. After some cleaning and thurough inspection, I bought the correct ammo, and the CZ has been working flawlessly ever since. Oh yeah, that "gun expert" has long been out of business.....go figure.

I usually wear glasses for vision correction, but occasionally switch to contact lenses in the right occasions. Almost always I shoot in my eye glasses because they are protective, don't shift while I'm trying to aquire sights, and the wind and dust don't bother them (we don't have ranges out here, just open land). A little while back I had taken a friend out for her first time shooting, and was letting her try her hand at just about everything I had to offer. That particular day I had my contacts in, and because I am so used to always having my glasses on I never grab saftey glasses....yes I know, stupid. I had just loaded up the .357 magnum for her and was standing off to the side as she squeezed off her first shot. Along with her delightful squeal I got a bit of hot, burnt powder straight into my eye. Fortunately I didn't lose any vision, but it stung like hell and I had a hell of a red mark on my eye for a few weeks. As a result, I always make sure everyone in my group has eye protection every time I shoot. Even I know how fortunate I was....

My first time out shooting black powder I wrapped a .50 caliber lead ball in a cleaning patch (instead of a regular ball patch) and shoved it down the barrel. I only managed to get it about 15" down, but it took a LONG time to get back out.

That's all I can think of for my own goofs off the top of my head. With all of my shooting time over the years, and all of the people I have shot with I could fill pages with what I have seen done.....but I have rambled too long already. Sorry for the long post.
Old 11-06-2012, 1:00 AM

Oh, for the guys who forget their mags or ammo......I got all my gear ready for an early morning coyote hunt. Backpack full of V-max .223, sweatshirt, gloves, hat, gatorade, etc. the night before. Grabbed my bag and my rifle from the cabinet in the dark, threw it in the truck and took off. It wasn't until we were nearly 50 miles out into the desert setting up our first stand that I realized I had grabbed my 30-06 Winchester instead of my .223 Remington......Guess who did all the calling that day?????? lol
Old 11-06-2012, 1:17 AM

When I was young my Dad took my brother and I out for some shooting. He was showing us how to use the 12ga Mossberg 500. I though I had it down but I couldnt rack it to do a chamber check, I didnt remember the action release deal. I hand it back to my Dad along with a few shells. He shows me the release tab, loads the shells, shots, racks, and shots again. Well when he ejected the first first the spent hull hit me in the neck under my chin. Dam thing cut me pretty good. Bleeding there, hand on my neck I informed him. He and my little Brother check me out and make sure Im ok. Bleeding stops and Dad calls me "baby buttface." I have blood going down my neck and He and lil Brother start to laugh hysterically and make fun of me for a few minutes.
It has been 15 years or so and if there is a pump shotgun near they call me "baby buttface" and warn me of the ejecting empties.
Old 11-06-2012, 6:14 PM
Veteran Member

Guy hitting me up for money at Oroville.

I asked if I could share a bench (concrete picnic tables), first he has no ear cover; so he asked if he could borrow a pair of ear muffs. Then he says: "I've got a big problem." What? I said. "I don't have enough gas to get back to Yuba City". Ah gheez...after a little discussion I gave him $5.00...Ah gheez, eh?
Old 11-06-2012, 6:35 PM

negligent discharge into the ground during my first training class.
Old 11-12-2012, 8:51 AM

can't shoot weak hand accurately
Old 11-12-2012, 9:09 AM

Left my range bag with a couple of pistols in it.

Worst feeling of my life!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnaz View Post
indoor range dropped an empty mag down range. had to get it with a long broom
Yea, I've done that
Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaglipay View Post
I got another one.

Happened many years ago. Me my dad and a bunch of his coworkers went to an indoor range. We all jad our safety gears on and ready to shoot. One of my dad's coworker ask what is this soft foam for (soft foam ear plugs) my dad told him it's to stop him from inhaling the gun powder in the air. A few seconds later he stuffed two foams on his nostrils. It was a pretty good laugh.
Best story ever.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:45 AM

Watched trainee launch P226 slide and barrel into clearing tube (full of sand). Forgot to set takedown lever back. Heard he did it in the academy at least once also. I laughed. He got to clean it again.
Old 11-25-2012, 8:16 PM

First time out firing my AK-47, I had cleaned and reassembled the night before, I guess in transport, the metal rear cover over the spring came a little loose, so when I sent my first shot downrange, the cover blew back over my head... thankfully, no one else was there... still felt like an idiot for not checking that before loading >.>
Old 12-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Default !

Not my story, per se, but...

I had an Air force buddy who had to re-qual on the M4. He was set up beside me on the initial qualifier, and we figured something was wrong when I managed to shoot two mags of expert in one round while his target was clean. Bummer for him shooting expert and not getting credit for it!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Last Friday I attended a combat shotgun class at the Metcalf sport park in San Jose. Because it was raining so hard the normal paper targets where falling part so about half way through they decided to switch over to steel targets. Because the targets where literally brand new the instructors asked everyone to switch out their ammo to Birdshot or Buckshot and under no circumstances should we use slug ammo on the NEW steel targets. There must have been about 20 students in total. Each NEW piece of steel was marked with a different letter, number or color. They would then call out a designation and you would have to do a combat load and shoot the appropriate target, everyone before me did great. After about my third shoot you could hear a really loud pronounced metal thud. I then shot two more times before the instructor called an immediate cease fire. The instructor then asked me to unload my rifle and empty my shell carriers. In an extremely embarrassing moment it had become apparent that I had mixed in some slug ammo with my birdshot. Yeah I felt about two feet tall, but in all they were really cool about it and turned it into a great teaching moment. They then allowed me to finish the string with the correct ammo.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pt View Post
I'm a noob, so i do embarrassing stuff all the time. Here's my favorite. At one desert session, after a long stretch of shooting a pump shotgun and a bolt action rifle, i was getting used to the manual action after every shot. So when i went to shoot my XD, I racked the slide, shot one, then proceeded to rack out the next live round. Realized it as soon as i pulled the slide back.
lol, I do that a lot too
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong; Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

Whatever doesn't kill me... better start running.
Old 12-06-2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra View Post
Second time shooting at an outdoor range the RO called a cease fire to change targets. Everyone backed away from the line. I got a new target and started walking down range to replace my old one. I forgot the RO still needed to do a safety check and had not yet announced it was safe to change targets. Everyone including the RO started yelling for me to come back. I remember thinking it was odd that I was the only one needing to change targets.
I've done this also
Old 12-07-2012, 9:04 PM

I climbed up Saddleback mtn in Orange co. when it was legal to shoot at the summit and my marlin 60 feed tube spring jammed after about 5 rounds and i did'nt have a cleaning rod to unjam it. It was a long hike down
Old 12-07-2012, 9:29 PM

Me and a buddy went shooting the other day, he brought his GSG MP5 and I bought my SR22 Rifle.
Started setting up when he realized he forgot his magazines

Still had a blast shooting the SR22 though!

"Between your faith and my Glock 9mm I'll take the Glock."
- Arnold Schawarzenegger (End of Days)
Old 12-10-2012, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5271 View Post
I decided at the last minute one evening to do a competition the next morning and the only place that was open to buy ammo was a Wal-Mart about 30 miles away. So I drove 60 miles round trip to buy my ammo, got up at 5:30 the next morning to be out the door by 6:30, drove the 80 miles to the range so I could register at 8:00 . Just to find out that the competition was the previous day. Doh!

And the truly embarrassing part I have done that twice!
I just lol so hard, I woke the wife.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:45 AM

A few months ago I went out to a desert location near Victorville with a group of friends. I took out my P226 and started loading the mags. I just bought a .22lr conversion kit for it and had told the group about it, so they all wanted to see how it shot. (Terribly, btw it apparently needs a break in time, because it jammed every few rounds. I was using cheap 555 bulk ammo.) So, after we were done playing around with the .22lr I swapped back on my .40s&w slide, loaded the magazine, and hit the slide release. Then my slide started tumbling down the raised cliff thing that we were on. I forgot to reengage the slide disassembly lever -_-
Old 12-11-2012, 3:39 AM

not at a range but i was at a smaller shop once, slow day, myself, friends, and the sales staff are all chatting it up. then i ask to see a bolt action rifle except the words "semi-auto" came out of my mouth. guy looked at me like i suddenly went nuts and said "you do realize this is a bolt action like the last 2 rifles you've looked at???"
Old 12-12-2012, 9:55 AM

Not so much embarrassing as stupid but a long time ago me an my friend took my 1911 out to a very narrow ravine and fired off a hundred rounds without ear protection. It made for a very long ride back with a lot of one sided conversations.
Old 12-12-2012, 3:54 PM
Calguns is my Facebook!
CGN Contributor

At an indoor range I usually pick up the spent brass on the bench and toss them into the lane. I wasn't paying attention and threw my magazine in the lane. Love those long broom sticks!

Onegtalon... toooooo many hobbies man !...

HDF, CGN/CGF member
Old 12-12-2012, 7:26 PM

A month or so ago I was shooting a rental G20 @ the LAX Firing Range. The slide didn't chamber a round properly while I was shooting it, and before I knew it the thing had pretty much exploded in my hands. A casing was vertically wedged inside of it, and all of the pressure had been expelled from the back of it.

After asking the guy in the next lane if I was bleeding anywhere (I felt the pressure and shrapnel hitting my hands and face), I walked back to the counter to report it, where I was yelled at for bringing the firearm back without the red bucket.

And to add insult to injury, there was a group of people about to go into the range, and the guy reminded them (with me standing nearby): "And if you have trouble with a firearm, bring it back inside the bucket."
Old 12-13-2012, 7:21 AM

Most embarrassing for me has to be when I was shooing my G34 and testing out a surefire light, i did not tighten that light enough to the rail and within the first magazine the light had fell inside the range , had to use one of those long brooms.

Another time me and my cousins where at the range and one of my cousins was showing off how he could dissasemble a berreta M9 in a couple of seconds because according to him he had done it a million times in the Army ( granted this was one of the rented guns ) , well in the process of dissasembly one of the spring shot out of the gun and flew about 10 yards into the range, they had to call seize fire in order for us to go in and get the spring,, the RO's where not happy at all about my cousins dissasembling their gun
Old 12-13-2012, 8:06 AM

I decided to hit the range so I grabbed a couple of 9mm's out of the safe and the 9mm ammo can. As I was loading up my gear I decided to shoot .45's instead of the nines. I changed out the pistols but not the ammo cans. I paid for my range time and shot the 3 loaded .45 mags I had, when I went to reload... D'oh!

(Not to mention the ammo can says 9MM in large white letters)