Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-14-2012, 3:59 PM

Default Adams Arms Piston conversion kit for 7.62x51

Does anyone have any info on when they are supposed to release this? Their website just says they are working on it but no other info and only lord knows how long ago they posted that. Just curious if anyone has heard anything.
Old 10-14-2012, 4:01 PM

I am curious about this as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Why?

A .308 AR seems to be just a way to make a more accurate long range rifle with ergonomics similar to an AR15.

A gas piston system would make it less accurate and for a long range rifle it's more about slow precise shots from cover than rolling in the dirt at a carbine class and shooting the cheapest crummy ammo you can find.

The ideas just takes the best thing an AR .308 has going for it (accuracy) and compromises that for a theoretical increase of reliability.

I've never heard of AR .308s having problems with dirty bolts due to direct impingement.

Probably because people don't run them like an AR15 but that makes a gas piston system even less needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 10-14-2012, 9:31 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wash View Post
Why?

A .308 AR seems to be just a way to make a more accurate long range rifle with ergonomics similar to an AR15.

A gas piston system would make it less accurate and for a long range rifle it's more about slow precise shots from cover than rolling in the dirt at a carbine class and shooting the cheapest crummy ammo you can find.

The ideas just takes the best thing an AR .308 has going for it (accuracy) and compromises that for a theoretical increase of reliability.

I've never heard of AR .308s having problems with dirty bolts due to direct impingement.

Probably because people don't run them like an AR15 but that makes a gas piston system even less needed.
This !!!
Gimmicks, flame suit on.
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
"What you've just posted is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Old 10-14-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

I have a wonderful gas piston 7.62x51. It's called an FAL...
Old 10-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSR500 View Post
I have a wonderful gas piston 7.62x51. It's called an FAL...
I have one as well. My M1A.

If not, I use to have my PTR-91.

Kevin
*Certified Glock Armorer
*Certified Sig (Classic Series) Armorer
*Certified Remington 870 Armorer
*AK Builder, Armorer, Operator - Trained by Rifle Dynamics*
*FFL Employee*
*Trained Gunsmith*
**SERVICES OFFERED! PM IF INTERESTED**
Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 AM

Who cares why anyone would want one? That wasn't the question. I don't need a long diatribe as to why I should prefer someone else's opinion of which methodology is superior. Anyone who has any information on the initial question please bestow it upon us. If you don't see the vision of a piston .308 AR, fantastic, don't buy/build one.
Old 10-15-2012, 8:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Well you could get a Saiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander
Dear Kevin,

You suck!!! Your are wrong!!! Stop it!!!
Proud CGF and CGN donor. SAF life member. Former CRPA member. Gpal beta tester (it didn't work). NRA member.
Old 10-16-2012, 5:37 AM

The main reason no one is jumping into getting a piston kit out for a 7.62x51 AR style'd rifle is because there is no "Milspec" for them. All 308 AR rifles are different in little ways, from length and weight of BCG, to length of receivers, gas hole placement, rail height, etc.....you would need probably 8 different versions just to cover DPMS and Armalite alone with all the different gas length systems. They would need to make 2 different BCG's too. Then there's the SR-25, RRA LAR-8, and I'm sure a few other ones in there with custom size requirements. They may all look nearly the same, but they are all, in fact, different.

The fact is, you cant just go to the store and throw some "AR-10" parts together.....they really should be made specifically for that specific rifle. And when you have lots of different parts to make for different sized rifles, the cost to manufacture goes WAY up.....not to mention there are WAAAYYY FEWER .308 ARs out there than there are AR-15's, which means they would be selling WAAAYYY FEWER kits. Monetarily speaking, I just cant see how it would make sense for a manufacturer to put the R&D and tooling expense into such a project for such a small market segment. You gotta think, no everyone with a .308 AR is going to want a piston kit on it. My guess is that it would be a much more profitable venture to build a rifle from the ground up with a custom fit piston operated cycling system than to build kits for numerous, differently sized rifles.

I've desired a piston operated 308 AR as well, but the extra weight, cost and real benefit would push it into the "overkill and unnecessary" category for me......that is if such a kit were to even exist, which it currently doesnt. My suggestion would be to forget it because it likely wont happen, at least any time soon.....but I've been known to be wrong in the past
Old 10-16-2012, 7:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlookin1 View Post
The main reason no one is jumping into getting a piston kit out for a 7.62x51 AR style'd rifle is because there is no "Milspec" for them. All 308 AR rifles are different in little ways, from length and weight of BCG, to length of receivers, gas hole placement, rail height, etc.....you would need probably 8 different versions just to cover DPMS and Armalite alone with all the different gas length systems. They would need to make 2 different BCG's too. Then there's the SR-25, RRA LAR-8, and I'm sure a few other ones in there with custom size requirements. They may all look nearly the same, but they are all, in fact, different.

The fact is, you cant just go to the store and throw some "AR-10" parts together.....they really should be made specifically for that specific rifle. And when you have lots of different parts to make for different sized rifles, the cost to manufacture goes WAY up.....not to mention there are WAAAYYY FEWER .308 ARs out there than there are AR-15's, which means they would be selling WAAAYYY FEWER kits. Monetarily speaking, I just cant see how it would make sense for a manufacturer to put the R&D and tooling expense into such a project for such a small market segment. You gotta think, no everyone with a .308 AR is going to want a piston kit on it. My guess is that it would be a much more profitable venture to build a rifle from the ground up with a custom fit piston operated cycling system than to build kits for numerous, differently sized rifles.

I've desired a piston operated 308 AR as well, but the extra weight, cost and real benefit would push it into the "overkill and unnecessary" category for me......that is if such a kit were to even exist, which it currently doesnt. My suggestion would be to forget it because it likely wont happen, at least any time soon.....but I've been known to be wrong in the past
That is a very good point, but I still want a piston 308AR. I will probably just get the Sig 716. I have a piston AR15 and love how clean it is even after shooting hundreds of rounds.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk