Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Default Thinking about joining the US Marshals after the Army...

The Army will come first for me (Planning to enlist sometime within the next 2-3 years). But I'm thinking about after I leave the Army (or at the very least, going into the Reserves), I would try out for the Marshals... Anyone want to talk me in/out of it?

Is their training on par with that of other Federal agencies? (DEA, BATFE, FBI, CIA etc.)

Know someone who was in it? What was their experience?

What firearms are currently issued to them?

Vehicles?

Do you still guard seized assets from other agencies? Such as weapons, drugs, property, vehicles etc.

Do you still transport convicts to and from prisons and courts?

Are you trained in pursuit tactics, if necessary?

Average salaries?

What about Undercover?

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 10-14-2012, 1:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Military experience will help you, but you still need BA degree in order to become Federal agent. Unless you have 4 years of experience as a sworn officer. If you do end up joining Army first, try to go in as a officer or pick intel MOS.

Worry about what kind of sidearm and vehicles you get issue after you get hire first. Good luck
Old 10-14-2012, 1:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I would focus on the Army and your career in there before thinking about what you want to do afterwards.
WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.
Old 10-14-2012, 1:18 PM

^ That, really sums it up. +1

Buddy I served with (USMC) got most of his ed done online. Took a year or 2 to finish his BA in Criminal Studies. Did DOS protective service contract work for a while, then lucked out when Marshals opened up. He enjoys it.

I tired to get in buy they were simply not hiring due to budget issues.

Good luck

FS: German Desert / Tropical Camo uniform items HERE
Old 10-14-2012, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr310 View Post
I would focus on the Army and your career in there before thinking about what you want to do afterwards.
Good point. But it's always good to plan ahead too!

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 10-17-2012, 7:08 AM

the Marshal's Service is a great agency to work with, but it is highly competitive to get into. I was in the army, have a college degree and already work in a non-LEO position for DHS. I applied back in March and got a very kind but disappointing "You're very qualified, but there's MORE qualified people than you..." I did some digging and found out they are focusing on disabled vets and transfers from other Agencies. I know two or three guys who are in it, they all like it.

Their training is on par. They go through the same 12-week basic course as every other federal agency at FLETC in Georgia, then move on to the 6-week Marshal's course, also at FLETC. They start off as an 0082 series IIRC, then convert to an 1811 series upon completion of their probationary period (1-2 years).

Current issue sidearm is the Glock 22.

Vehicles are typically unmarked SUVs- right now it's a mixed bag of Chevy Tahoe's and Ford Explorers. Although they also use Crown Victorias, Chargers, etc.

As for duties- yes, the Marshals are very active in asset forfeiture and prisoner transport, which is typically what new Marshals start off as, unless you're a transfer with Fugitive Task Force experience. Everyone wants to work fugitives- its the sexy part of the job, chasing down the scum of the earth that other agencies can't catch.

Everyone is trained in basic pursuit tactics at FLETC as part of the 12 week basic course, although the Marshals tend to lay in wait and ambush their target rather than chase them all over the damn city in a high speed pursuit.

Salary is based off location, as with all Federal agencies. Check for an OPM pay scale chart with location adjustments.

Last edited by Casual Observer; 10-17-2012 at 7:15 AM..
Old 10-17-2012, 4:31 PM
Calguns Addict

tagged to watch. I would like to do US Marshals when I get out as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrage View Post
Over reaction to non-crimes by State loyalists. If they keep up their heavy handed crap, soon it'll be a better gamble to shoot at cops before they even start bothering you considering the amount of time they're willing to put you in prison for if you cooperate.

Seems like that pendulum is about to shift.
Is this your Calguns?

Old 10-17-2012, 5:04 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
The Army will come first for me (Planning to enlist sometime within the next 2-3 years). But I'm thinking about after I leave the Army (or at the very least, going into the Reserves), I would try out for the Marshals... Anyone want to talk me in/out of it?

Is their training on par with that of other Federal agencies? (DEA, BATFE, FBI, CIA etc.)

Know someone who was in it? What was their experience?

What firearms are currently issued to them?

Vehicles?

Do you still guard seized assets from other agencies? Such as weapons, drugs, property, vehicles etc.

Do you still transport convicts to and from prisons and courts?

Are you trained in pursuit tactics, if necessary?

Average salaries?

What about Undercover?
Planning on enlisting in the next 2-3 years? If you are over 18 I'd suggest doing it now and getting the ball rolling. Otherwise before you know it you will be 30 and competing with a bunch of younger, hungrier candidates.
Old 10-17-2012, 8:00 PM

Military experience is a plus. This last application cycle they didn't push anyone through that wasn't a vet.
Old 10-18-2012, 4:07 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
the Marshal's Service is a great agency to work with, but it is highly competitive to get into. I was in the army, have a college degree and already work in a non-LEO position for DHS. I applied back in March and got a very kind but disappointing "You're very qualified, but there's MORE qualified people than you..." I did some digging and found out they are focusing on disabled vets and transfers from other Agencies. I know two or three guys who are in it, they all like it.

Their training is on par. They go through the same 12-week basic course as every other federal agency at FLETC in Georgia, then move on to the 6-week Marshal's course, also at FLETC. They start off as an 0082 series IIRC, then convert to an 1811 series upon completion of their probationary period (1-2 years).

Current issue sidearm is the Glock 22.

Vehicles are typically unmarked SUVs- right now it's a mixed bag of Chevy Tahoe's and Ford Explorers. Although they also use Crown Victorias, Chargers, etc.

As for duties- yes, the Marshals are very active in asset forfeiture and prisoner transport, which is typically what new Marshals start off as, unless you're a transfer with Fugitive Task Force experience. Everyone wants to work fugitives- its the sexy part of the job, chasing down the scum of the earth that other agencies can't catch.

Everyone is trained in basic pursuit tactics at FLETC as part of the 12 week basic course, although the Marshals tend to lay in wait and ambush their target rather than chase them all over the damn city in a high speed pursuit.

Salary is based off location, as with all Federal agencies. Check for an OPM pay scale chart with location adjustments.

I was looking into applying after I finished my degree, and basically told without military + leo / parole officer experience, not a chance.

Very competitive.

10% off slings for calguns members. PM for details. Like us on facebook!
Old 10-18-2012, 8:15 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
Planning on enlisting in the next 2-3 years? If you are over 18 I'd suggest doing it now and getting the ball rolling. Otherwise before you know it you will be 30 and competing with a bunch of younger, hungrier candidates.
I understand, but for me, school comes first. I should be on track to graduate by next summer, and I hope to be ready to enlist by next winter at the earliest.

A college degree will help on all fronts be it the military and the Marshals.

They'd rather take someone who has at least an AA degree and 4 years equivalent work experience as an LEO (I don't think military service counts though) over someone who's been sitting a classroom for 8 years but doesn't have the physical prowess required.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:13 AM

The ones I have worked with, had college degrees, were all former military officers or NCO's, were in excellent shape and had worked as civilian LEO's for a few years after getting out of the military. They were all in their late 20's early 30's at the time of their hire.
Old 10-21-2012, 8:07 PM

I am a deputy that is a TFO with the USMS. My partner and I work with two Deputy Marshals. One of them was a former Army MP and the other was a TFO who lateraled over. We get to help out with the fun part of the job, fugative aprehension.

Most of the Deputy Marshals work court security, prisoner transport, etc...

They are issued Glock 22s & AR15s.

Most of them drive SUVs, but others have sedans.

We have never "pursed" someone.

As undercover work goes, I am not aware of too much undercover work. We do some plain clothes work, but not undercover...there is a difference.

You can expect to start around a GS7.

hope that helps
Old 10-21-2012, 8:12 PM

Kind of off/on topic but any other vets seeing Military Experience isent getting them as far as it used to?

To your question OP, It is always good to look in the future and plan but if you are at least 17 JOIN tomorrow dont wait and focus on your career in the Army until about a 1 or so before you ETS. My Opinion.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:24 AM

You might consider a local department over federal for the reasons of salary and retirement. You will never get 75% out of FERS let alone the 90% some localities max out at. They also tend to have a better benefits package overal. Good luck in the service!

So it turns out the speed of light is not constant. That means we really know nothing about our beginning; scientifically of course...
Old 10-26-2012, 11:50 PM

I applied with the US Marshals a couple years ago for a custody officer type position, IIRC. I have 4 years army plus LEO experience and an AA degree, and wasn't even contacted by them or anything. Like it was said before, very competitive, and you better have all your ducks in a row

Local agencies are hiring, especially if you are an academy graduate. I recommend doing at least 4 years military, and then either getting picked up by an agency or self sponsoring. Academy certificate is worth it's weight in gold.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfpcservice View Post
You might consider a local department over federal for the reasons of salary and retirement.
I would also add tactics as well, especially if you became employed with a local agency in Southern California. Unfortunately there have been numerous avoidable tragedies.