Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-11-2016, 3:02 PM

Default Safety selector - Has anyone had to deal with this?

I recently completed an 80%.. Upon installation of my LPK I noticed that my safety selector holes seemed to be REALLY tight. (I used 80% arms jig and 3/8 bit) I can get the selector where it's supposed to be, but in order to manipulate it from 'fire' to 'safe', or vice versa, an incredible amount of force is necessary.

Has anyone encountered this problem? The issue seems to exist among all of my 80's but the switch works perfectly fine in a factory lower. Lube doesn't make a large difference. I'm thinking that the holes may need to be polished or something of that nature. Suggestions are welcome!
Old 05-11-2016, 3:03 PM

I had the same problem with mine. It isn't as good as factory but it has been easier to manipulate than intially.
I know your ban hammer is cold hammer forged and chrome lined, im not messin with it!
Old 05-11-2016, 3:07 PM

Happened to me between a hiperfire trigger and a seekins made safety.

When I went to the website to check on a manual, I found this....

*does not work with hiperfire triggers.

Doh!
Old 05-11-2016, 3:11 PM

Is it rough even without the detent installed? If so, just use Emery cloth to smooth the inner surface. If it is rough with detent, you can wire cut out a detent spring curl to loosen up the detent tension. Good luck and viva la ghost guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-11-2016, 3:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

You might have drilled the hole crooked.
Or there might be a burr in the detent hole.
Old 05-11-2016, 3:45 PM

Yeah I had the same problem.. I used a 80% Arms Drill press jig.. I had one heck of a time manipulating the Saftey back and forth.. So I had to do a little filing in the selector hole itself and polish the safety lever in order to make it function..
Old 05-11-2016, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete Noire View Post
Is it rough even without the detent installed? If so, just use Emery cloth to smooth the inner surface. If it is rough with detent, you can wire cut out a detent spring curl to loosen up the detent tension. Good luck and viva la ghost guns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I just tried it without the detent and it is just as rough. Good thinking anyways
Old 05-11-2016, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
You might have drilled the hole crooked.
Or there might be a burr in the detent hole.
I don't think that the holes are crooked. I used a drill press and was rather careful in the process. I'm not necessarily ruling that out, however.

Under close inspection I can't see any irregularities in the detent hole. I don't think that the detent is related as the selector switch functions just as poorly when the detent is absent
Old 05-11-2016, 4:40 PM

Try running a 3/8 bit back through the selector holes a couple of times
Old 05-11-2016, 6:09 PM

Make sure you deburr it completely, and make sure if its been blasted, coted/painted. etc. you have cleaned the holes out.
Old 05-11-2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_ View Post
I just tried it without the detent and it is just as rough. Good thinking anyways
I used 200 or 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper around a dowel to smooth out the selector holes. It's worked fine since.

Quote:
First thing I would do is jump to a conclusion without all the facts.
Old 05-11-2016, 7:49 PM

I found an ancient handheld deburring tool in my garage and decided to give it a go. After aggresively working the holes with it, the selector switch is noticeably smoother. I'm planning on sanding them as well, per Cactus Tim's advice. Thank you all for your suggestions and input. It is much appreciated.
Old 05-11-2016, 7:57 PM

Had the same issue on all of my builds. I jut used a small round file and lightly file. After reinstall I put oil on it and spent about 30mins pushing it between safe and fire. All smooth now!
Old 05-11-2016, 8:02 PM

Did you mill out the FCG pocket before you drilled your pin holes? Just thinking if you did the drill bit may have walked a litle bit going into the opisite side leaving the holes missaligned.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chute&Shoot View Post
Did you mill out the FCG pocket before you drilled your pin holes? Just thinking if you did the drill bit may have walked a litle bit going into the opisite side leaving the holes missaligned.
I did, yes. I used a jig and did not drill from side-to-side, however.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 PM

Upon installation of the safety selector switch, grip, and selector detent, I have discovered that there is yet another issue.. this time residing in the selector detent channel. The channel does not allow the detent to protrude far enough into the selector switch.. It looks like I have a bit more work to do. If you've had this happen to you, what solution would you suggest? I'm considering using my fingers + a drill bit to cut out material until it fits correctly. If you've used a bit to fix this in the past, what size did you go with?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:49 PM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_ View Post
Upon installation of the safety selector switch, grip, and selector detent, I have discovered that there is yet another issue.. this time residing in the selector detent channel. The channel does not allow the detent to protrude far enough into the selector switch.. It looks like I have a bit more work to do. If you've had this happen to you, what solution would you suggest? I'm considering using my fingers + a drill bit to cut out material until it fits correctly. If you've used a bit to fix this in the past, what size did you go with?
The selector detent hole is STEPPED, i.e. it is two different diameters at different depths. It is not one diameter, do not make the mistake of changing that by running the larger drill bit all the way through it or you will have a new problem.

I suggest you study a lower blueprint. The smaller diameter (through hole) is 1/8", and the larger diameter is 5/32" to a depth of 3/16" from the flat surface where the grip seats. Sometimes 80% lowers will not have the 5/32 hole drilled deep enough, and this keeps the detent from engaging fully.

I would first use a 1/8" drill bit in a pin vise to clean the through hole of burrs and see if that solves your problem.

If not, then use a 5/32 wood dowel to measure/gauge the depth of the 5/32 step hole - and adjust it if required. Insert the dowel until it stops, mark it at the height where it exits the lower at the grip seat, remove the dowel and use calipers to gauge the depth of the hole as marked on the dowel. It should be ~.187

You could also flip your 5/32" drill bit upside down and use the shank to gauge the hole depth if a wood dowel is not handy.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 Battle of the Wilderness

Last edited by SkyHawk; 05-12-2016 at 9:04 AM..
Old 05-12-2016, 5:56 AM

Detent hole of my last 80% had the same issue. Simply required thorough deburring with a 1/8" bit to allow the detent to fully seat.

As for the safety selector, I have found after 3 completed lowers with the Easy jig that it is CRITICAL to ensure the holes are true. The first two lowers required varying degrees of reaming after drilling to allow smooth/light movement of the selector. I was exceedingly careful on the last lower with drill press set up. Bit was "squared" to the base, and jig was set up as perfectly square to the bit as I could get.

Result? That selector dropped right in and is as smooth as my DD lower, no reaming or sanding required.
Old 05-12-2016, 2:19 PM

Thank you both for your extensive advice. Per your suggestions, I visited Home Depot earlier and picked up a new 1/8 bit. A few minutes, and a couple of blisters later (I skipped the pin vise..I'll shell out the extra $ next time), I was able to get the detent to seat properly! Thankfully the 5/32 shaft was drilled properly and needed no further attention.
Old 05-12-2016, 3:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Drill bits don't drill round holes. That's why i drill the holes undersize and use a correct size reamer. You may have just drilled the holes at the wrong speed and the hole is just not concentric. A reamer by hand works best.