Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 11-17-2017, 9:07 PM

Default Who does trigger work on a revolver?

Just wondering the price on trigger work on on a S&W 63. The double action is about a 10lb. Way to much.
Old 11-17-2017, 9:11 PM

Well, it certainly can be smoothed considerably but DA is DA.
Old 11-17-2017, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

I have used Apex Tactical in the past. Located in the SLO area. They sell a J-frame spring kit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll
I am NOT a lawyer, paralegal or anything other than a schmuck....
Old 11-17-2017, 9:15 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you were in SoCal I could help. Best of luck.

Here I am.
Old 11-17-2017, 9:33 PM

Thanks guys. What is the range of the price I am looking at?
Old 11-17-2017, 9:52 PM

Buy a stoning set and a spring kit and do it yourself.

Had my 66 sent to S&W recently for warranty work and had a trigger job done at the same time so I could say it was "factory." I replaced the springs as well and it does fell much better despite how little they actually did.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Keep in mind that rimfire revolvers have a heavier double action trigger pull, than their center fire counterparts, to avoid light strikes. Along that line, do not adjust the strain screw as it will lighten up the trigger at the expense of light strikes.

How much have you fired it? I have a Ruger SP101 - 22lr that has smoothed out considerably with use. You might also try a different set of grips, I put Hogue monogrips on my SP101 and it fits my hand way better than it did with the stock grips and made it much easier to pull the trigger.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:08 PM

Wolff spring kit and wet/dry abrasive cloth..oh and you tube..worked wonders on all my DA revolvers

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Old 11-18-2017, 12:51 PM
Fully Semi-Banned
CGN Contributor

I've put a set of wolf springs in my 686 but was unhappy with intermittent light primer strikes in DA. I assume polishing the innards would resolve that but haven't done it yet. The spring changes did make a word of difference.
Old 11-18-2017, 1:11 PM

Apex Tactical is located in Arizona now. They've done several revolvers for me but not a rimfire. They do a great job.
Old 11-18-2017, 2:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The Model 63 is a J-frame. J-frames have coil mainsprings that just aren't as smooth in double action as the flat mainspring of a K-frame. When I went out shopping for a .22LR S&W revolver I got a Model 18 because it is a K-frame.

My J-frame Model 60 had a ridiculous DA trigger pull, off the 12 lb. max scale of my trigger pull gauge. It was actually painful with the original grooved trigger.

You can replace the rebound spring and that will dramatically reduce the DA trigger pull. Since you aren't doing anything to the mainspring you won't get lighter strikes. While you have it apart to replace the rebound spring polish the bottom and back (left) surface of the rebound slide to a shine, and polish the mainspring stirrup so it glides smoothly inside the mainspring.

I would buy this pack of rebound springs, SKU 16670 https://www.gunsprings.com/SMITH%20&...3/mID58/dID263 and use the lightest one that still produces decent trigger reset. I did all of the above with my Model 60, as well as replacing the trigger with a smooth combat trigger, and it is much better now.

To do the job properly you need a set of gunsmith screwdrivers, which you should already have anyway https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/12...MaAp6tEALw_wcB, a paper clip, and some knife sharpening stones. This tool makes it easier to remove and reinstall the rebound slide http://www.gunsmithertools.com/smith...ng-/index.html Make sure to NOT pry off the sideplate. Strike the grip part of the frame with a plastic mallet to shake the sideplate loose.

Quote:
pistol noun pis·tol \ˈpi-stəl\

1: a handgun whose chamber is integral with the barrel
I'm happy to help people who have specific questions, but I ignore threads that begin with the command "school me".