Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > FFL's Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

FFL's Forum For open discussion between FFLs and polite questions for FFLs.

Old 10-11-2012, 8:47 AM

Default Forming LLC for FFL business - suggestions for legal representation?

Howdy ALL

Boss and I are taking his FFL01 business to the next level and are starting preparations for a brick and mortar store.

We are going to apply for an FFL07 in the near future, and I have convinced him to change the business structure from sole proprietor to an LLC prior to applying for the FFL07.

So, we are looking for an attorney to help form the LLC. It makes sense to use someone who is familiar with the industry, and thru my research I see that Don Kilmer has been recommended - and it's not too far a drive for us.

So we have the name of a well-known attorney, but I also hear that he's busy, so that probably means that he could be expensive as well. So the question is, if we are simply forming an LLC for a firearms business, as opposed to fighting the DOJ, do we really need to go with the top shelf firearms lawyer or in your opinion will it be worth it?

Any other suggestions for affordable representation in mid-california?

Thanks.

CM
Old 10-12-2012, 6:04 PM

I'm new to this forum, but I'm a business owner and have formed two companies, an INC and an LLC.

The process is pretty easy; you can follow the Nolo guide here: http://bit.ly/UWydek

The site also lists some attorneys that can help if you choose to employ them (not necessary).

If you want a one-stop-shop, there are internet sites that can do the paperwork for you. E.g. The Company Corporation, http://www.legalzoom.com/, etc.

Good luck,
ArmedPeon